ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs having internal meetings about changes to defensive coaching staff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320766)

RunKC 01-21-2019 04:20 PM

Chiefs having internal meetings about changes to defensive coaching staff

Yes this absolutely deserves its own thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From “The Aftermath” on <a href="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@nflnetwork</a>: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> are having internal discussions today about whether to make changes to their defensive coaching staff, up to and including coordinator Bob Sutton. Nothing decided yet but keep an eye on this one. <a href="https://t.co/SzZcy1AL8p">pic.twitter.com/SzZcy1AL8p</a></p>&mdash; Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1087470495312822272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 21, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hammock Parties 01-21-2019 04:21 PM

Tomorrow: Bob Sutton to hold press conference Thursday.

Cosmos 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

Check Bob Sutton thread..

Jerm 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

Totally feels like they're gonna change a bunch of other coaches but keep Sutton...I hope I'm wrong...

displacedinMN 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

Saw breaking news on ESPN. yet alas.....

OnTheWarpath15 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

The fact that this isn't even decided yet is disturbing.

ptlyon 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

"What should we do?"

"Order a pizza!"

St. Patty's Fire 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

Like I said in the Sutton thread, no discussion is necessary. Time to take him out back and shoot him.

Bring me a guy who can and will challenge Reid at all times. That’s probably wishful thinking, though.

Hammock Parties 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

It is decided.

I've never known Marty Mac to be wrong.

St. Patty's Fire 01-21-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14061554)
Totally feels like they're gonna changes a bunch of other coaches but keep Sutton...I hope I'm wrong...

This is my fear as well

O.city 01-21-2019 04:24 PM

They’re slow playing it a little bit but I’d imagine this decision has already been made

InChiefsHeaven 01-21-2019 04:24 PM

They can't ignore this shit. They just can't. They'll find a way to let Bob bow out gracefully. Hopefully they have someone in mind to replace him.

Red Dawg 01-21-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDONsey (Post 14061566)
This is my fear as well

That would be bullshit. He's the constant. Damn media needs to beat the drum.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-21-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14061561)
It is decided.

I've never known Marty Mac to be wrong.

JFC stop with this crap. If he was retiring they wouldn’t be having talks it would just happen

comochiefsfan 01-21-2019 04:25 PM

If Sutton is back next year then what is the point of watching? We all know how it will end with him on the sidelines.

Bob must go or Andy will have officially lost me.

O.city 01-21-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 14061571)
They can't ignore this shit. They just can't. They'll find a way to let Bob bow out gracefully. Hopefully they have someone in mind to replace him.

This is kinda what I figure.

They’ll let him retire or resign or something

tk13 01-21-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14061554)
Totally feels like they're gonna changes a bunch of other coaches but keep Sutton...I hope I'm wrong...

I think it's probably more a question of... do they want to replace him with an internal candidate or go out and hold a public search?

RunKC 01-21-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55 (Post 14061558)

I don’t think they are deciding if Sutton will stay. I think these meetings are more about who are they going to get to replace him.

PR hit is too big. 2 years of the KC Star calling for his head, Romo knowing basic plays Sutton doesn’t.

This is happening.

OnTheWarpath15 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14061587)
I don’t think they are deciding if Sutton will stay. I think these meetings are more about who are they going to get to replace him.

PR hit is too big. 2 years of the KC Star calling for his head, Romo knowing basic plays Sutton doesn’t.

This is happening.

What?

Sassy Squatch 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14061581)
If Sutton is back next year then what is the point of watching? We all know how it will end with him on the sidelines.

Bob must go or Andy will have officially lost me.

This is kind of where I'm at too. I'll watch on TV but not spending money to go and watch.

O.city 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

2 straight years or having one of the worst defenses in the league? Yeah he ain’t coming back

comochiefsfan 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 14061585)
I think it's probably more a question of... do they want to replace him with an internal candidate or go out and hold a public search?

Would an internal candidate be any better than Bob?

It has to be an outside guy right? I just wish we could've hired Todd Bowles before he went to the Bucs.

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

Sutton should get axed.

You guys remember when....can't remember his name, that Redskins Corner who blasted the DC?

His complaint was that their man-coverage scheme was simply to easy for QB's to read and adjust to.

That stuck out to me.

And when you think back to all the plays QB's have made against this D, finding isolated corners etc, it became all too clear to me.

Couple with with the remarks made last night as to how the Pats planned for the Chiefs D....

It's pretty clear that the scheme we're running, a mostly Man-coverage scheme, is way too ****ing easy for these Qb's to read, diagnose and adjust to.

Skyy God 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

Probably read my banner thread....

Sassy Squatch 01-21-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55 (Post 14061588)
What?

Tony Romo was calling the Patriots plays with almost 100% accuracy before the snap.

O.city 01-21-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14061593)
Sutton should get axed.

You guys remember when....can't remember his name, that Redskins Corner who blasted the DC?

His complaint was that their man-coverage scheme was simply to easy for QB's to read and adjust to.

That stuck out to me.

And when you think back to all the plays QB's have made against this D, finding isolated corners etc, it became all too clear to me.

Couple with with the remarks made last night as to how the Pats planned for the Chiefs D....

It's pretty clear that the scheme we're running, a mostly Man-coverage scheme, is way too ****ing easy for these Qb's to read, diagnose and adjust to.

It’s a scheme that works when you’ve got the talent for it. It’s just hard to continually have that much talent in the secondary

MAG 01-21-2019 04:30 PM

We need an outside hire and to clean house. Brent Venables would be my first choice.

Rain Man 01-21-2019 04:30 PM

I agree that this is worthy of its own thread.

gblowfish 01-21-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDONsey (Post 14061560)
Like I said in the Sutton thread, no discussion is necessary. Time to take him out back and shoot him.

Bring me a guy who can and will challenge Reid at all times. That’s probably wishful thinking, though.

If you do have to take him out back and shoot him, just call a defensive team meeting and tell the players he went to live on a farm....

MahiMike 01-21-2019 04:31 PM

Cue the Ron Paul gif.

It's Happening!

OnTheWarpath15 01-21-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14061595)
Tony Romo was calling the Patriots plays with almost 100% accuracy before the snap.

Jesus Christ.

I just got back home, haven't watched the replay yet.

gold_and_red 01-21-2019 04:31 PM

Going by Reid’s history, Andy Heck for DC and new OL coach. Two birds with one stone.

Marcellus 01-21-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55 (Post 14061558)

This is all for show, they know what they are going to do. the fact they mentioned Romo's comments about our defense is pretty damning.

tk13 01-21-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14061592)
Would an internal candidate be any better than Bob?

It has to be an outside guy right? I just wish we could've hired Todd Bowles before he went to the Bucs.

I don't know. There were some rumblings that a couple of the assistants were more involved with the gameplanning toward the end of the season.

I'm not saying they'd be better than Sutton but it's possible. You could have someone who is a smart young coach but they're not the one calling the shots.

OnTheWarpath15 01-21-2019 04:32 PM

Just leave his ass in the parking lot with all the grills and tents that were left behind last night.

Drove by this morning, and it looked like a ****ing landfill.

In58men 01-21-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14061594)
Probably read my banner thread....

Underrated post, thumbs up.

ROFL

Sassy Squatch 01-21-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55 (Post 14061604)
Jesus Christ.

Do you plan to? I'd burn the DVR.

wazu 01-21-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14061598)
I agree that this is worthy of its own thread.

I agree with you agreeing. And until we hear Sutton is fired this place might as well be "Bob Sutton Planet". Any significant news, reports, or rumors should warrant a new thread.

Rain Man 01-21-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14061595)

It kind of freaks me out. It says that basically most or all NFL teams do the same thing, in which case why even bother with play calls? Just have the quarterback go with the rules that the defensive coverage dictates.

007 01-21-2019 04:34 PM

Fully expect to hear a press conference about his retirement

Skyy God 01-21-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14061616)
Underrated post, thumbs up.

ROFL

Public backlash is a real motivator.

Marcellus 01-21-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55 (Post 14061614)
Just leave his ass in the parking lot with all the grills and tents that were left behind last night.

Drove by this morning, and it looked like a ****ing landfill.

I don't know how many cars were left but there were tow trucks lining up by the Dennys near Adams Mark.

St. Patty's Fire 01-21-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14061600)
If you do have to take him out back and shoot him, just call a defensive team meeting and tell the players he went to live on a farm....

I mean, that’s probably what he’ll end up doing regardless LMAO

CervezaChill 01-21-2019 04:35 PM

Ford, Jones, Houston are no scrubs and should elevate a defense atleast upto mid tier. I fail to believe this is a personnel problem but definitely lackluster coaching.

Ward, Sorensen, Bailey, Fuller are ok too. **** Sutton for costing us this season in a crucial championship window.

007 01-21-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Jesus Christ.

Nice name change.

FAX 01-21-2019 04:36 PM

The screeches are deafening. Hold the presses for Rona Barrett!!

Rona ... chill, baby. They hold these meeting every single year.

FAX

SAUTO 01-21-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14061624)
I don't know how many cars were left but there were tow trucks lining up by the Dennys near Adams Mark.

I saw at least 7 in lane that wouldnt start or they couldn't find keys for

Discuss Thrower 01-21-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Jesus Christ.

Why would you punish yourself thus?

I probably won't watch the recording of the game ever.

OnTheWarpath15 01-21-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14061629)
Nice name change.

Staying this way until we participate in a SB.

tk13 01-21-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14061620)
It kind of freaks me out. It says that basically most or all NFL teams do the same thing, in which case why even bother with play calls? Just have the quarterback go with the rules that the defensive coverage dictates.

That's exactly what Brady does. It's why he was making audibles at the line almost every play.

The Patriots are great but they're just like robots. They go out there and look at where your weakness is and attack it until you adjust for it. Then when you do that, they look for the next weakness that opened up because of it. Then they exploit that.

It's why they win every year even though they may not have the most talented teams. They don't have a specific "style" of play, they just exploit whatever you're doing.

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14061596)
It’s a scheme that works when you’ve got the talent for it. It’s just hard to continually have that much talent in the secondary

But that IS the issue. It's totally talent dependent. Because the scheme is so simplistic for a QB to read, the talent has to be substantial because an offense can scheme to beat it easily enough.

Hammock Parties 01-21-2019 04:38 PM

"internal meetings"

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m...mod=1533691769

Chiefs Moon 01-21-2019 04:39 PM

Mahomes is too important to Andy and Clark. Nothing will get in their way of getting to the Super Bowl. Bob Sutton is an obstacle. In my view, Sutton will leave soon.

Marcellus 01-21-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14061636)
Why would you punish yourself thus?

I probably won't watch the recording of the game ever.

I watched the second half today to see what I may have missed being at the game, honestly I almost felt better about a few things and more irritated at the defense.

Jesus tap dancing Christ Mahomes got his ass beat to a pulp and still brought us back from the dead.

All those 3rd down conversions on our defense though, yeesh.

comochiefsfan 01-21-2019 04:41 PM

It's the scheme guys.

It's not the players' fault that Bob refused to blitz when we couldn't get any pressure.

It's not the players' fault that Bob continually drops our best pass rushers into coverage on 3rd downs.

It's not the players' fault that Bob had us playing double high safeties on the final few drives of the game, even though the Patriots have no real deep threats, leaving the middle of the field wide open, over and over again.

Bob IS the problem and he must go.

St. Patty's Fire 01-21-2019 04:41 PM

So, who do ya’ll think we’d be eyeing if we do decide to replace Buttons? I’d hope we go for an outside hire, maybe Kris Richard? He’s still with Dallas, right!

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Jesus Christ.

This hardly matters. And it doesn't show that Sutton didn't know what the Pats would do either.

I'm not trying to defend Sutton here, but just trying to stay grounded and objective.

There was no secret on either side what both teams were going to do.

As fans, i feel like most of us here knew EXACTLY how each team would play each other. It was ALWAYS going to come down to winning the individual matchups.

As Tony said to start the broadcast, the Patriots knew exactly what the Chiefs were going to run because they do the same damn thing every time they play.

And as Fans, did any one of you see the Patriots do ANYTHING that we haven't seen them do?

This game went down, schematically EXACTLY as i thought it would, EXACTLY the way i thought it SHOULD for us to have a chance. And i KNOW i'm not the only one who knew this because we've had these discussions here.

So no, i don't buy this idea that Sutton didn't know what the Pats were doing. It comes down to winning the matchups within the scheme we planned on using.

And that didn't happen.

Jerm 01-21-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDONsey (Post 14061659)
So, who do ya’ll think we’d be eyeing if we do decide to replace Buttons? I’d hope we go for an outside hire, maybe Kris Richard? He’s still with Dallas, right!

Pretty sure he's getting the Dolphins' HC gig.

TwistedChief 01-21-2019 04:44 PM

Sutton is gone. It’s happening. Let’s not kid ourselves. Would be cool to confine this to one cluster****ed megathread.

St. Patty's Fire 01-21-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14061663)
Pretty sure he's getting the Dolphins' HC gig.

You’re thinking of Brian flores from the Pats

SAUTO 01-21-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14061662)
This hardly matters. And it doesn't show that Sutton didn't know what the Pats would do either.

I'm not trying to defend Sutton here, but just trying to stay grounded and objective.

There was no secret on either side what both teams were going to do.

As fans, i feel like most of us here knew EXACTLY how each team would play each other. It was ALWAYS going to come down to winning the individual matchups.

As Tony said to start the broadcast, the Patriots knew exactly what the Chiefs were going to run because they do the same damn thing every time they play.

And as Fans, did any one of you see the Patriots do ANYTHING that we haven't seen them do?

This game went down, schematically EXACTLY as i thought it would, EXACTLY the way i thought it SHOULD for us to have a chance. And i KNOW i'm not the only one who knew this because we've had these discussions here.

So no, i don't buy this idea that Sutton didn't know what the Pats were doing. It comes down to winning the matchups within the scheme we planned on using.

And that didn't happen.

That's when a DC should MAKE ADJUSTMENTS.

If it's not working (and it obviously wasn't) then you adjust.

We didn't.

Jerm 01-21-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDONsey (Post 14061666)
You’re thinking of Brian flores from the Pats

You're right....get them confused.

In that case, yeah I'd take him.

The Franchise 01-21-2019 04:45 PM

Spagnuolo learned under Philadelphia coach Jim Johnson, and shares the same aggressive, blitz-heavy approach as his mentor. (He did not incorporate this philosophy during his time in New Orleans however). Spagnuolo uses a 4–3 base defense with a heavy emphasis on multiple blitz packages, including corner and safety blitzes. While defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, he often used a smaller defensive line, with three or even four defensive ends to further pressure the quarterback.

This philosophy proved successful, with the Giants leading the NFL in sacks in 2007. In Super Bowl XLII, Spagnuolo's defense sacked Tom Brady five times, which was the most he had been sacked in any game that season.

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:45 PM

The biggest surprise wasn't how the Chiefs D played the Pats O schematically, or how the Pats O played the Chiefs D schematically.

That was the most predictable part of this game.

What we didn't foresee (or at least i didn't) was the Chiefs Offense failing to do ANYTHING against these Man-coverage/pressure looks that the Pats D threw at them.

THAT, IMO, was the biggest surprise last night.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-21-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14061670)
Spagnuolo learned under Philadelphia coach Jim Johnson, and shares the same aggressive, blitz-heavy approach as his mentor. (He did not incorporate this philosophy during his time in New Orleans however). Spagnuolo uses a 4–3 base defense with a heavy emphasis on multiple blitz packages, including corner and safety blitzes. While defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, he often used a smaller defensive line, with three or even four defensive ends to further pressure the quarterback.

This philosophy proved successful, with the Giants leading the NFL in sacks in 2007. In Super Bowl XLII, Spagnuolo's defense sacked Tom Brady five times, which was the most he had been sacked in any game that season.

That’s who I want

Ken Bone 01-21-2019 04:48 PM

Tony Romo should be our next D Coordinator.

FringeNC 01-21-2019 04:48 PM

Sutton will be gone, but the damage has been done. Hard to get too excited about it. Dorsey did us no favors with his D drafting / contracts either.

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14061668)
That's when a DC should MAKE ADJUSTMENTS.

If it's not working (and it obviously wasn't) then you adjust.

We didn't.

To what? I firmly believe that the scheme we ran was the correct scheme.

It's why we wanted the Patriots all week.

But you have to win the matchups. You're not going to sit back in a zone against Brady.

Deberg_1990 01-21-2019 04:51 PM

If he’s brought back, I predict a loss in next seasons AFC championship game to the Browns

FAX 01-21-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14061671)
The biggest surprise wasn't how the Chiefs D played the Pats O schematically, or how the Pats O played the Chiefs D schematically.

That was the most predictable part of this game.

What we didn't foresee (or at least i didn't) was the Chiefs Offense failing to do ANYTHING against these Man-coverage/pressure looks that the Pats D threw at them.

THAT, IMO, was the biggest surprise last night.

I share that opinion, Mr. Detoxing.

It was all very predictable from a schematic perspective. The shockingly horrific part was how effective the Cheaters were at dealing with Tyreek and Kelce. That was unexpected.

Honestly, it makes me wonder why. Talent-wise, it shouldn't have gone down like that. Of course, the o-line looked like 4 grannies and a plegic which caused problems for Mahomes, but our best receivers were nullified.

That's not supposed to happen.

FAX

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14061657)
It's the scheme guys.

It's not the players' fault that Bob refused to blitz when we couldn't get any pressure.

It's not the players' fault that Bob continually drops our best pass rushers into coverage on 3rd downs.

It's not the players' fault that Bob had us playing double high safeties on the final few drives of the game, even though the Patriots have no real deep threats, leaving the middle of the field wide open, over and over again.

Bob IS the problem and he must go.

That's play calling, not scheme.

Our scheme has limitations. It's predictable. It's easy for QB's to diagnose.

But it's the best of two evils against the Pats. The Chiefs just didn't win their matchups. And yeah, i agree that there was some spotty defensive play calling at times.

dirk digler 01-21-2019 04:53 PM

What is their to discuss? I did notice in Reid's PC he mentioned we led the league in sacks which means he will keep his son around. They need to gut the rest of the staff.

O.city 01-21-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14061641)
But that IS the issue. It's totally talent dependent. Because the scheme is so simplistic for a QB to read, the talent has to be substantial because an offense can scheme to beat it easily enough.

Then it needs to be changed

ToxSocks 01-21-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14061699)
Then it needs to be changed

Or they need to bring in the talent to run it effectively. Which basically means a star-studded backfield.

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14061670)

He kind of scares the hell out of me because for as experienced and smart of a DC he is, his defenses always seem to be meh.... Scares me also that nobody's knocked on his door for a full year. But his scheme is better. It's more modern than what we have. I'm still intrigued by Mike Smith as an internal guy but hate that he's primarily tied to Sutton's scheme. What if the Chiefs named Mike Smith as DC and hired Spags as basically co-coordinator & consultant.

osumatt 01-21-2019 04:58 PM

#bringgutherback

Skyy God 01-21-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14061692)
What is their to discuss? I did notice in Reid's PC he mentioned we led the league in sacks which means he will keep his son around. They need to gut the rest of the staff.

Emmett Thomas and the guy who played in GB can stay.

dirk digler 01-21-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14061717)

why our DB's suck ass?

If it was me I would try to get Kris Richard if possible. He is not listed as D-coordinator with the Cowboys so maybe he could come here as a promotion.

ILChief 01-21-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14061720)
why our DB's suck ass?

If it was me I would try to get Kris Richard if possible. He is not listed as D-coordinator with the Cowboys so maybe he could come here as a promotion.

Not a promotion in the eyes of the NFL

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14061717)

Emmett Thomas is 75. Harris seems to be highly regarded... but I also don't love how confused our ILBs look all the time. I don't have an issue keeping Britt Reid. Mike Smith should definitely stay. Harris... if the Chiefs think he'll do better with better scheme & talent, open to it. Have to think most others are on the bubble.