ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs What an INCREDIBLE season!!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320681)

Oh Snap 01-20-2019 10:51 PM

What an INCREDIBLE season!!!

Title says it all. I wanted to wait until after the game to hold off on the knee-jerk responses. But I first want to start out with the positives of this game. Patrick Mahomes is going to have the Chiefs in this kind of position for years to come. Did anyone think we would have this type of performance out of him? He has so much raw talent that it has made up for his lack of experience. He needs games like this to get better. And he will improve and be that much more potent!

The defense also played well, especially in the first half. By time late second half rolled around they were gassed from being out on the field most of the first half. The cold didnt help. First half offense just got their butts kicked. There is no way around that. Patriots came to play and they confused Mahomes early and often. They took the Chiefs out of their game plan. They played tight man and were able to bring pressure which disrupted timing. This is where Reid and company dropped the ball IMO.

This offense is predicated on big plays. Mahomes being a home run hitter is always looking to air it out downfield. And thats great if your OL can protect you long enough for the receivers to run those long routes. However, as we saw tonight, the patriots were able to pressure Mahomes often. Especially in the first half. I dont know why Reid and company didnt throw in more screens, slants, short passes to the williams coming out of the backfield or mis-directions against a aggressive defense. They needed to get the ball out of Mahomes hands quicker. Romo pointed this out several times on air. This is why they were held scoreless in the first half. The patriots took the chiefs out of their game-plan.

Defense played great and was clutch until the 4th Qtr. Looking at just the QB stats of both teams, Mahomes outplayed Brady, especially in the second half. Mahomes was 16 of 31 for 295 yards and 3 TDs, to bradys 30 of 46 for 348 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT's (should have been 3, but more on that later). Bradys QB rating was 77 to Mahomes 117. The first half is what killed the Chiefs. They scored 31 points again in the 2nd half after adjustments. But missing williams wide open on a wheel route really came back to bite us. Then Mahomes gets tackled for a loss the very next play taking the Chiefs out of field goal range. Again, you gotta get rid of the ball quicker. Cant take the sack in that situation.

Clock management was an issue. I realize we have a high flying offense. And its fun to watch them get big yardage. But its the 4th Qtr with 3-4 minutes left. The patriots have the most clutch QB in NFL history, and 3 TO's. RUN THE BALL! Take a break from being pass happy for a few downs and MILK THE CLOCK! Im glad they scored, but it was a HUGE mistake to not at least run the ball on a couple downs on that drive. Dont give the most clutch QB in NFL history 3 minutes with 3 TO's to go down and win the game!!! BTW, Someone needs to tell Dee Ford where the neutral zone is! If he positions his hand 6" back from the LOS, the Chiefs win that game by picking brady off for a 3rd time.

Keys to this game were the patriots taking the chiefs out of their game plan early, and the Chiefs failing to answer them when they needed to. Defense had 3 straight attempts of 3rd and 10 in OT. And they couldnt get off the field. Not one sack on Brady either. Dee Ford getting offsides on a brady interception was a killer. Also I think the NFL playoff OT rules suck. Mahomes didnt get a single chance to respond to Brady. Youd think a league that values QB above all other positions would give the other team a chance to respond with a TD.

Rasputin 01-20-2019 10:53 PM

I can't say i've ever enjoyed a season as much as I have this one.

This was a fun year next year looks to be better #firebobsutton

Jim Lahey 01-20-2019 11:07 PM

Would have been more incredible if Dee ford stayed onsides...

Demonpenz 01-20-2019 11:09 PM

If at the start of the year you would have told me that we won the west and we were taking the Pats to overtime I would take that. This one was a bad one but the chiefs have arrived as a force in the AFC.

TripleThreat 01-20-2019 11:16 PM

If Mahomes is truly to be a hall of fame, once in a generation qb in terms of winning Super Bowls, he needed to win it tonight. It would have been the perfect story. The 1st full season of Mahomes and he comes in, wins MVP and dethrones Brady who is the GOAT in many peoples eyes, and after losing to them earlier in the season would have made for a perfect story.

Look at A-rod, 1 Super Bowl to his name. Bree’s looks like he will only achieve 1 super bowl. Marino has a total of 0 Super Bowls.

My point is, games like tonight is what separates Brady from other quarterbacks. If we win tonight it would have been a passing of the torch. I am not saying we never win a super bowl with Mahomes because it should happen with how damn good he is. But tonight made me rethink the idea that he could ever win us 4-5 Super Bowls like Brady has done for New England, once his career is done. Mahomes could very well end up like another Brees, Rodgers, or Marino situation, especially with our team being as stacked as it is now. We have a lot of players yet to be paid the big $$, Mahomes and hill come to mind

bdj23 01-20-2019 11:17 PM

Wasted opportunity

Same old chiefs

Simplicity 01-20-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14059139)
If Mahomes is truly to be a hall of fame, once in a generation qb in terms of winning Super Bowls, he needed to win it tonight. It would have been the perfect story. The 1st full season of Mahomes and he comes in, wins MVP and dethrones Brady who is the GOAT in many peoples eyes, and after losing to them earlier in the season would have made for a perfect story.

Look at A-rod, 1 Super Bowl to his name. Bree’s looks like he will only achieve 1 super bowl. Marino has a total of 0 Super Bowls.

My point is, games like tonight is what separates Brady from other quarterbacks. If we win tonight it would have been a passing of the torch. I am not saying we never win a super bowl with Mahomes because it should happen with how damn good he is. But tonight made me rethink the idea that he could ever win us 4-5 Super Bowls like Brady has done for New England, once his career is done. Mahomes could very well end up like another Brees, Rodgers, or Marino situation, especially with our team being as stacked as it is now. We have a lot of players yet to be paid the big $$, Mahomes and hill come to mind

Holy shit dude it's his first full season... Calm down about all this ****ing sob story talk about Super Bowls.

gold_and_red 01-20-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

To be fair Brady had terrific defenses during his first three Superbowls. He was Alex Smith deluxe back then. Mahomes has Bob SuttonROFL.

You just can't expect a QB to carry a team that concedes 37 points, 13/19 third down conversions and 45 minutes ToP on your home turf.

Dante84 01-20-2019 11:21 PM

My favorite season as a Chiefs fan so far, followed by 2003 and then both Montana seasons.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-20-2019 11:24 PM

Brady deserves plenty of credit for his success but you’re fooling yourself if you don’t think BB is the primary reason why they are always in this position. He’s unbelievable. He adapts his schemes at any given point in a season to fit the personnel in the best possible way and he did it again this year, taking pressure off of Brady and running the football.

No one will ever go to or win as many SBs as Brady has because there will never be another Belichick.

ROYC75 01-20-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lahey (Post 14059071)
Would have been more incredible if Dee ford stayed onsides...

True. But it would have been the same had Mahomes hit Williams with an open TD pass in the 1st half. Even with that mishap, Mahomes took a QB sack that took us out of FG range in the 1st half on the very next play. Or the roughing the passer on Jones on a TD possession by NE earlier! It's just a play of many plays that has changing circumstances in the game.

This what if game is for the birds! ( rather, the chicken little's.)

Grow up !

chiefzilla1501 01-20-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Brady and belichick have steamrolled every afc team for a decade. We came really damn close. Arguably we lost today by a ref flipping a coin. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Mahomes showed some very slight rawness reading a D he wasn't expecting. He will get much much better. If we can get even slightly better from knocking out the team of the decade, we're going places. Nothing to be ashamed of.

TripleThreat 01-20-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 14059161)
Holy shit dude it's his first full season... Calm down about all this ****ing sob story talk about Super Bowls.

....??
In Brady’s first full season he led the patriots to a super bowl win leading to the trade of Bledsoe. That is what makes Brady, Brady, and that 2001 patriots team was no where near as talented as ours.

gold_and_red 01-20-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14059227)
....??
In Brady’s first full season he led the patriots to a super bowl win leading to the trade of Bledsoe. That is what makes Brady, Brady, and that 2001 patriots team was no where near as talented as ours.

But did Brady have Bob Sutton?

Simplicity 01-20-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14059227)
....??

Brady has also lost 3 Super Bowls. I don't know if you know this but each player's legacy is entirely different than the next... Mahomes could quite possibly go on to win 7 Super Bowls in a row after this or he could win 0 or just 1 or maybe 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.... You don't ****ing know so don't lose sleep on what his legacy will look like in 5 years.

edit: literally no one expected in August that Mahomes would do what he did this season and lead this team to the AFC Championship game.... If you say you did you are a bad ****ing liar.

Jim Lahey 01-20-2019 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 14059193)
True. But it would have been the same had Mahomes hit Williams with an open TD pass in the 1st half. Even with that mishap, Mahomes took a QB sack that took us out of FG range in the 1st half on the very next play. Or the roughing the passer on Jones on a TD possession by NE earlier! It's just a play of many plays that has changing circumstances in the game.

Grow up !

It's probably easier to line up onsides than throw a 20 yard pass regardless of being open or not. But yeah, I'll grow up.

gold_and_red 01-20-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14059225)
Brady and belichick have steamrolled every afc team for a decade. We came really damn close. Arguably we lost today by a ref flipping a coin. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Mahomes showed some very slight rawness reading a D he wasn't expecting. He will get much much better. If we can get even slightly better from knocking out the team of the decade, we're going places. Nothing to be ashamed of.

What pains me is that the even scrubs like John Fox and Kubiak have playoff wins over Brady despite the Pats steamrolling. Reid needs to put in motion a plan to build a playoff defense to get over the hump.

Oh Snap 01-20-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 14059091)
If at the start of the year you would have told me that we won the west and we were taking the Pats to overtime I would take that. This one was a bad one but the chiefs have arrived as a force in the AFC.

The Chiefs put the NFL on notice this year. They wont be sneaking up on anyone next year. Next year we play the weak AFC South and NFC North. We still have the raiders twice and broncos twice. I dont see any reason why the Chiefs shouldnt be heavily favored to be a #1 seed next year in the AFC based on schedule alone.

2019 opponents
Home

Denver Broncos (6-10)

Los Angeles Chargers (12-4)

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

Green Bay Packers (6-9-1)

Houston Texans (11-5)

Indianapolis Colts (10-6)

Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1)

Road

Denver Broncos (6-10)

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

Chicago Bears (12-4)

Detroit Lions (6-10)

Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)

New England Patriots (11-5)

Tennessee Titans (9-7)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold_and_red (Post 14059281)
What pains me is that the even scrubs like John Fox and Kubiak have playoff wins over Brady despite the Pats steamrolling. Reid needs to put in motion a plan to build a playoff defense to get over the hump.

Reid flubbed the offensive play calling in this game. Mahomes held onto the ball too long and the patriots got after him. Reid should have been calling plays that were designed to get rid of the ball quicker. Slants, reverses, screens, RB dump offs, ect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14059185)
Brady deserves plenty of credit for his success but you’re fooling yourself if you don’t think BB is the primary reason why they are always in this position. He’s unbelievable. He adapts his schemes at any given point in a season to fit the personnel in the best possible way and he did it again this year, taking pressure off of Brady and running the football.

No one will ever go to or win as many SBs as Brady has because there will never be another Belichick.

What BB has been able to do is incredible. He doesnt have any star players. He just needs players that fit into his scheme. I dont know that they are the team they are without Brady. I think having an elite QB puts you over the edge. But the way he schemes teams is incredible. The Chiefs were able to figure him out in the second half. They scored 24pts in the 4th Qtr alone. But it was too little to late at that point.

gold_and_red 01-20-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oh Snap (Post 14059310)
Reid flubbed the offensive play calling in this game. Mahomes held onto the ball too long and the patriots got after him. Reid should have been calling plays that were designed to get rid of the ball quicker. Slants, reverses, screens, RB dump offs, ect.

I understand and yet the offense scored 31.
Against good offenses Sutton's defenses cannot get a stop when it is most needed. How many times should we see this script play out?

TripleThreat 01-20-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 14059251)
Brady has also lost 3 Super Bowls. I don't know if you know this but each player's legacy is entirely different than the next... Mahomes could quite possibly go on to win 7 Super Bowls in a row after this or he could win 0 or just 1 or maybe 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.... You don't ****ing know so don't lose sleep on what his legacy will look like in 5 years.

edit: literally no one expected in August that Mahomes would do what he did this season and lead this team to the AFC Championship game.... If you say you did you are a bad ****ing liar.

On paper we had the better team tonight...

We had the better quarterback imo.

Maybe that means we blame the coaches etc, but my point stands and I will stick by it, that I truly felt that Mahomes would win us 5 Super Bowls once his career was over... and now I lean towards Mahomes May end his career like brees or manning or Marino etc. amazing qb, but not able to consistently when like a GOAT such as Brady.

If Brady wins this super bowl in 2 weeks, he will have 6 rings. Meaning if any player is to surpass that accomplishment, particularly a quarterback. They will have needed to win a super bowl every other year for 12 years, which is unreal to even write...

I am just saying, if Mahomes was a player that is going to bring home 4+ Super Bowls, tonight shoulda been a win because of him, and him alone. Our 1st half was also atrocious as all hell, 0 points? That cannot happen in the AFC championship game when our offense was the best in the nfl.

You can disagree with my opinion etc, but obviously what I am writing isn’t fact, but it’s still my opinion.

Edit: and don’t twist what I am saying, I would still pick Mahomes over any qb in the nfl to lead us

smithandrew051 01-20-2019 11:56 PM

Not the same old Chiefs, but the same old result.

Moral victories don’t do it. We need to actually win the games that matter.

Fair or not, Mahomes is gonna have an offseason full of Dan Marino postseason comparisons. Every year that passes before he wins the big one, the pressure will continue to mount.

How will he respond? I guess we’ll see.

And no, it’s not his fault we lost. He got us further than any other QB could’ve. The league is all about the QBs though. This will go down as Brady sweeping Mahomes this year, even though Mahomes probably out played Brady in both meetings.

Oh Snap 01-20-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold_and_red (Post 14059345)
Against good offenses Sutton's defenses cannot get a stop when it is most needed. How many times should we see this script play out?

I dont think Sutton goes anywhere. The offense did its job in the second half. The defense giving up 3, 3rd and 10s on the final drive in OT, is inexcusable. But again, I dont think sutton leaves. Reid is loyal, and sutton will rest on the fact that they had an inexperienced secondary, no eric berry, and rest on the fact that his defense led the league in sacks.

The Chiefs defense did play good at home. They put up great numbers. What hurt the chiefs is facing elite offenses on the road. Im not sure we can have an elite offense and defense. What we need is a top 15 defense and that should be good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14059374)
Not the same old Chiefs, but the same old result.

Moral victories don’t do it. We need to actually win the games that matter.

Fair or not, Mahomes is gonna have an offseason full of Dan Marino postseason comparisons. Every year that passes before he wins the big one, the pressure will continue to mount.

How will he respond? I guess we’ll see.

And no, it’s not his fault we lost. He got us further than any other QB could’ve. The league is all about the QBs though. This will go down as Brady sweeping Mahomes this year, even though Mahomes probably out played Brady in both meetings.

And I dont disagree. But as I said in the OP, we have an offense that scored too quickly. And this is where Eagles fans had an issue with Andy Reid. He doesnt do a great job of managing the clock, and he gets to pass happy in the playoffs. This was their biggest issue with him. I understand wanting to go down and take the lead late in the 4th Qtr. But take a few plays off the pass by running the ball to milk the clock. This is a reoccurring theme with Andy Reid.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-21-2019 12:01 AM

**** Man. I ain't even mad.

Mahomes is our QB. I can't even.

Redbled 01-21-2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oh Snap (Post 14059301)
The Chiefs put the NFL on notice this year. They wont be sneaking up on anyone next year. Next year we play the weak AFC South and NFC North. We still have the raiders twice and broncos twice. I dont see any reason why the Chiefs shouldnt be heavily favored to be a #1 seed next year in the AFC based on schedule alone.

2019 opponents
Home

Denver Broncos (6-10)

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

Green Bay Packers (6-9-1)

Houston Texans (11-5)

Indianapolis Colts (10-6)

Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1)

Road

Denver Broncos (6-10)

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

Chicago Bears (12-4)

Detroit Lions (6-10)

New England Patriots (11-5)

Tennessee Titans (9-7

We have to go to NE most every year in the reg season. Be hard to overcome losing there again when they play 3 trash teams in the East.

suzzer99 01-21-2019 12:06 AM

Great post. Thanks.

Gravedigger 01-21-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold_and_red (Post 14059345)

There’s only so many times you can do jack shit in the first half offensively and expect Mahomes to carry you back. They followed almost the exact same game plan as last time and they came up short tonight just like the earlier game in the season.

Rain Man 01-21-2019 12:11 AM

Overall, it was a fun season and we had a bit of postseason success. It's probably been my favorite season since 1993 or so.

TripleThreat 01-21-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14059441)
There’s only so many times you can do jack shit in the first half offensively and expect Mahomes to carry you back. They followed almost the exact same game plan as last time and they came up short tonight just like the earlier game in the season.

Our defense has given up shit all season long.

Our offense scored 0 points in the 1st half. The best offense in the nfl mind you.

We scored most of our points in the 4th quarter alone, yet in the 4th and OT Brady ran 3 touchdown drives back to back to back. Sure the defense didn’t hold them, but they did a good enough job to keep us in it, until the 4th when our offense found their grove again.

If the offense puts up a score or two in the entire first half, we probably walk away with a win. If dee ford isn’t off sides we win. I don’t blame the defense as a whole in any way, nor do I blame Sutton. In OT though, why no time out was called by Reid is astonishing

-King- 01-21-2019 12:34 AM

Yeah I'm trying to look at the positives and while it's hard, I'm proud of the team. Never did I imagine this especially in Mahomes first season starting. We just have to get this taste out of our mouths and while that's going to be hard as ****, we'll move on and win a few Superbowls in the future to make up for this.

Oh Snap 01-21-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14059549)
Yeah I'm trying to look at the positives and while it's hard, I'm proud of the team. Never did I imagine this especially in Mahomes first season starting. We just have to get this taste out of our mouths and while that's going to be hard as ****, we'll move on and win a few Superbowls in the future to make up for this.

Patrick mahomes is going to be ready come playoff time next year. It was a great learning experience for him. He is going to be fun to watch for several season to come. And this team WILL be back! Brady got the best of him this season. Next season will be a different story. I just hope the rams take care of business now and be as t those cocky ****ers in the SB

TEX 01-21-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14059549)

Dolphin fan said the same thing about Marino..

EPodolak 01-21-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 14059193)

Grow up !

Watched the DVR and just now finding out we lost. Feeling tortured atm, but good post^.

tk13 01-21-2019 12:50 AM

It was an amazing season and it surpassed everyone's expectations.

Still, it's tough to get so close and just miss out. There are no guarantees in the future. Other than Berry we were relatively healthy, and we had home field advantage. But all you can do is head to the offseason and try to keep building.

-King- 01-21-2019 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14059568)

Ok? So I'm not supposed to get excited about the future because Marino didn't win? What about all the other great QBs that did win?

Mecca 01-21-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14059619)
Ok? So I'm not supposed to get excited about the future because Marino didn't win? What about all the other great QBs that did win?

It's basically saying ****ing up an opportunity with a young QB doesn't mean you'll get more of them.

-King- 01-21-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14059627)
It's basically saying ****ing up an opportunity with a young QB doesn't mean you'll get more of them.

Well duh. And some people win the lottery and blow it. But I'm still going to be excited as **** if I win it.

And honestly Marino is the exception, not the rule. All other QBs in his tier have at least 1 ring so I don't care that he didn't get one. Mahomes is a lot more likely to win one than not

tman 01-21-2019 01:02 AM

I have been through Schottenheimer, Cunningham, Vermeil, Edwards, Haley, and Crennel. This was the first time I have every felt that we had a chance to make it to the super bowl, which we almost did. Can't wait until next year.

Oh Snap 01-21-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14059642)
Well duh. And some people win the lottery and blow it. But I'm still going to be excited as **** if I win it.

And honestly Marino is the exception, not the rule. All other QBs in his tier have at least 1 ring so I don't care that he didn't get one. Mahomes is a lot more likely to win one than not

Can you imagine how eager Mahomes is going to be come next season? Think about it, his last game came in the AFC championship with him on the sidelines begging for the ball. I have a feeling he is going to get even better this off season and set the league on fire out of the gate.

jimidollar 01-21-2019 02:50 AM

It was a fun season. Except for that usual kick in the nuts at the end. Chiefs made it interesting. At least they found a new way to let us down.

DaNewGuy 01-21-2019 03:18 AM

I'm bummed we lost in a pretty dumb way (Ford) but cant be too upset, we broke the home playoff curse and took Bill and Brady to the edge, we got Mahomes for years to come and I have no doubt we will be playing in multiple AFC title games...Love this squad and my Team and this was a Super fun season

Oh Snap 01-21-2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaNewGuy (Post 14059841)
I'm bummed we lost in a pretty dumb way (Ford) but cant be too upset, we broke the home playoff curse and took Bill and Brady to the edge, we got Mahomes for years to come and I have no doubt we will be playing in multiple AFC title games...Love this squad and my Team and this was a Super fun season

We definitely exercised some demons this post season. Ford definitely had a dunce moment. They showed the replay and he was well over the line. It makes ya wonder what the hell he was thinking seeing all his linemen well behind him. These are the types of mistakes you cant make when it comes to championship football. That interception seals the game and the Chiefs are headed to the superbowl...Trying not to think too much about it...But you can also point to the second Qtr overthrown ball from mahomes to williams on a wheel route. If they connect on that TD, this is a different ball game. The problem is we waited too late to do anything on offense. 24 pts in the 4th quarter alone. 90% of our points came in one Qtr of play...

bevischief 01-21-2019 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14059627)

this

PunkinDrublic 01-21-2019 04:08 AM

Hard to get mad at the Chiefs. Brady and BB did what they’ve done to other teams for over a decade. When the Pats offense is in sync you have to be on point to beat them. It sucks but it beats the hell out of letting Marcus Mariota and the scrub ass Titans come from behind and beat you in your own ****ing house.

kcpasco 01-21-2019 04:14 AM

Can’t stop a 3rd and long all season finally bit us in the ass. Sutton should have been shown the door years ago so I’m done blaming him. If Andy seriously wants to win it all he has to quit being so loyal.

kcpasco 01-21-2019 04:16 AM

Clark is gonna have to step in and force Andy to hire someone competent on defense but I seriously doubt he does that.

Sure-Oz 01-21-2019 04:19 AM

It was incredible and they exceeded everyone's expectations. Get home field next season they will be in the SB.

kgchiefs 01-21-2019 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by

2019 opponents

[b
Road[/b]

Denver Broncos (6-10)

Oakland Raiders (4-12)

Chicago Bears (12-4)

Detroit Lions (6-10)

New England Patriots (11-5) YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Tennessee Titans (9-7)

Why do I have the feeling this will be the season opener?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DelFan 01-21-2019 04:42 AM

The Chiefs have had some really poor coaches (Edwards, Haley, Crennel) before Andy came along so I know that these seem like good times to you. Unfortunately I happen to live 30-minutes south of Philly and I am a Eagles fan also.

After living through 14-years of coming close with Andy Reid I was ecstatic to see him move on - until I found out he was moving to my beloved Chiefs. At least the Chiefs games are interesting, but I don't have the hope that many of you have that future years will be better. I have been disappointed on gameday too often to see a bright future with Andy. Our only hope is for the players to outplay the coaching and the inevitable bad calls, and they didn't do that today even with home field advantage. And with the inevitable exodus of quality players due to payroll limitations, this team won't stay together.

On the bright side, I don't see how the defense can get any worse and practically any new defensive coordinator should provide improvement.

Prison Bitch 01-21-2019 05:27 AM

Shut up loser o.p.

Oh Snap 01-21-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgchiefs (Post 14059876)
Why do I have the feeling this will be the season opener?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that too. Either will be the first game of the season if the pats win the superbowl or a sunday night game/mnf game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelFan (Post 14059884)
The Chiefs have had some really poor coaches (Edwards, Haley, Crennel) before Andy came along so I know that these seem like good times to you. Unfortunately I happen to live 30-minutes south of Philly and I am a Eagles fan also.

After living through 14-years of coming close with Andy Reid I was ecstatic to see him move on - until I found out he was moving to my beloved Chiefs. At least the Chiefs games are interesting, but I don't have the hope that many of you have that future years will be better. I have been disappointed on gameday too often to see a bright future with Andy. Our only hope is for the players to outplay the coaching and the inevitable bad calls, and they didn't do that today even with home field advantage. And with the inevitable exodus of quality players due to payroll limitations, this team won't stay together.

On the bright side, I don't see how the defense can get any worse and practically any new defensive coordinator should provide improvement.

This was the biggest gripe eagle fans warned us about. Especially when it comes to the post season. I was yelling for them to run the football on our last TD drive. You dont want to score to quick and give brady 3 minutes and 3 timeouts to go down and win the game. We needed to milk clock on that drive. And we didnt.

NinerDoug 01-21-2019 06:35 PM

Yes, congrats on an incredible season. I wanted you guys to make it to the big game, but no doubt you will have a shot at it again next season. Your team's got some awesome years ahead.

HolyHandgernade 01-21-2019 07:07 PM

It was an incredible season. Teams always say the "Goal is the Super Bowl", but for those actually in charge of long range planning, the hope was to get Mahomes adjusted this year and build the defense towards the 2019/20 season. This team, by that measure, is ahead of schedule. Mahomes raised everyone's expectations... and timetables.

I don't understand people's obsessions with "predicting the future". Is there a prize for doing it? Montana didn't go to the Super Bowl until he was a 6 year pro. Sometimes greatness happens, in part, because of good circumstances. Sometimes a particular division is a mess, like the AFC East, that makes the road easier. Sometimes an entire Conference is a mess, Buffalo Bills, that makes the road to a Super Bowl easier.

If this season doesn't excite you, if you've become so jaded you couldn't possibly see a scenario now where Mahomes makes his stake as one of the greatest ever, then have living in that world, I guess.

Prison Bitch 01-21-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 14059091)

If you’d told me at the beginning of the season Bob Mutton was going to finish 31st again in total defense, and wreck Mahomes’ 50TD season, I’d have been really angry

stevieray 01-21-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

ppppft. Brady threw 3 picks.

We beat that team, despite the benign offsides penalty.

DRM08 01-21-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14059365)
On paper we had the better team tonight...

We had the better quarterback imo.

Maybe that means we blame the coaches etc, but my point stands and I will stick by it, that I truly felt that Mahomes would win us 5 Super Bowls once his career was over... and now I lean towards Mahomes May end his career like brees or manning or Marino etc. amazing qb, but not able to consistently when like a GOAT such as Brady.

If Brady wins this super bowl in 2 weeks, he will have 6 rings. Meaning if any player is to surpass that accomplishment, particularly a quarterback. They will have needed to win a super bowl every other year for 12 years, which is unreal to even write...

I am just saying, if Mahomes was a player that is going to bring home 4+ Super Bowls, tonight shoulda been a win because of him, and him alone. Our 1st half was also atrocious as all hell, 0 points? That cannot happen in the AFC championship game when our offense was the best in the nfl.

You can disagree with my opinion etc, but obviously what I am writing isn’t fact, but it’s still my opinion.

Edit: and don’t twist what I am saying, I would still pick Mahomes over any qb in the nfl to lead us

It's a team game. Brady has been blessed with Belichick's defense and game management. Brady was a game manager for their first 2 Super Bowls, where the defense unquestionably was their biggest strength. He fumbled in the damn snow against the Raiders to lose the game and the refs bailed him out. He threw a pick last night to lose the game and Dee Ford bailed him out. Brady is great, but he is also one LUCKY son of a bitch.

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14062326)
It's a team game. Brady has been blessed with Belichick's defense and game management. Brady was a game manager for their first 2 Super Bowls, where the defense unquestionably was their biggest strength. He fumbled in the damn snow against the Raiders to lose the game and the refs bailed him out. He threw a pick last night to lose the game and Dee Ford bailed him out. Brady is great, but he is also one LUCKY son of a bitch.

I'm really not going to go there. New England has had some mediocre defenses over the past decade, and some really really mediocre supporting talent on offense. Luckiness is just a cherry on the top at some times.

Nzoner 01-21-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 14059568)

This.

Nzoner 01-21-2019 09:20 PM

Oh and spare me the rainbow farts this team cost me a shot at $1500 because I was dumb enough to believe once again.I had the Pats in a pick'em pool all week and bought into the hype train yet again and changed my pick on Saturday :#

tman 01-21-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14062326)

I agree you can't beat luck, unless it's Andrew Luck.

crayzkirk 01-22-2019 07:23 AM

Yeah! Participation trophies all around. Woohoo!

Sorry, I'm tired of the excuses.

Regular season success = worse draft picks. People see silver linings and I see grey clouds.

Why Not? 01-22-2019 07:39 AM

I’m not gonna quote any one post because there are many posts throughout multiple threads that caution about Marino. It’s not an accurate comparison. If(once?)Pat gets to a SB in the next year or two and if he loses it, then you can make those comparisons if you must. Right now, it’s about taking the next step and making the SB. I mentioned this on another thread but how many truly great NFL QB’s have never made it to a SB? Not many. They’ll be back.

Nzoner 01-22-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 14062930)
Yeah! Participation trophies all around. Woohoo!

Sorry, I'm tired of the excuses.

Regular season success = worse draft picks. People see silver linings and I see grey clouds.

No need to apologize,you're spot on.This team has been yanking some of our chains since the early 90's.If it's not a QB we need a defense if it's not a defense we need a new coach yada yada yada.

I realize Mahomes is the real deal but it doesn't mean the team is guaranteed anything i.e. Marino! I've been thinking wait until next season for a quarter of a century now and I'm not getting any younger!

ClevelandBronco 01-22-2019 07:46 AM

Glad to see there’s at least one thread for the emotionally healthy people. The Chiefs kicked ass, amazed most everyone and served notice for the future. You guys should rightly be enjoying yourselves.

Nzoner 01-22-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14062953)
I’m not gonna quote any one post because there are many posts throughout multiple threads that caution about Marino. It’s not an accurate comparison. If(once?)Pat gets to a SB in the next year or two and if he loses it, then you can make those comparisons if you must. Right now, it’s about taking the next step and making the SB. I mentioned this on another thread but how many truly great NFL QB’s have never made it to a SB? Not many. They’ll be back.

I just referenced him above again but only as being the real deal which I believe Mahomes is so IMO that is an accurate comparison.

Hydrae 01-22-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14062968)
No need to apologize,you're spot on.This team has been yanking some of our chains since the early 90's.If it's not a QB we need a defense if it's not a defense we need a new coach yada yada yada.

I realize Mahomes is the real deal but it doesn't mean the team is guaranteed anything i.e. Marino! I've been thinking wait until next season for a quarter of a century now and I'm not getting any younger!

But this time I feel actual hope when saying "next year". In the past it has been wishful thinking, even at the time of saying that. This time there are real reasons for that hope and every reason to believe that the future will be even better than this awesome season has been.

It is a great time to be a Chiefs fan and I plan to enjoy the hell out of it!

Rausch 01-22-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 14063083)
But this time I feel actual hope when saying "next year". In the past it has been wishful thinking, even at the time of saying that. This time there are real reasons for that hope and every reason to believe that the future will be even better than this awesome season has been.

Allllllllllllllll this...:)

htismaqe 01-22-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

:clap::clap::clap:

loochy 01-22-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14063210)
Allllllllllllllll this...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14063213)
:clap::clap::clap:

GROUP HUG TIME!