ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Your Top 5 most scarring sports outcomes... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320174)

Jerm 01-07-2019 05:11 PM

Your Top 5 most scarring sports outcomes...

So reading the Colts/Chiefs topic about the game in '96 that is a horror fest and how it scarred everyone gave me the idea for this topic...screw it, I'm curious about everyone else's...

Here's mine...

1. Colts/Chiefs '96 playoffs - What more needs to be said? Thought at the very least we were going to the Super Bowl and nope...I was devastated.

2. Blues/Red Wings - Game 7 '96 Western Conference Semfinals - Another "this is our year" moment...and Steve ****ing Yzerman in Double OT rips my heart out with the most seeing eye bullshit slapper ever. **** off.

3. Mizzou/Oklahoma '02 Elite Eight - Clarence Gilbert goes ice damn cold and Arthur Johnson couldn't hit a FT to save his life...yeah that about sums up this shit show. Nothing like losing to OU for the 1,769th time in a row with a chance to go to the Final Four on the line.

4. Phil Mickelson at the 2006 U.S. Open - This entire topic could be 1-5 Phil but this one takes the cake for me. I couldn't believe he was actually going to do it and win an Open after coming so close and then.........banana peel off the 18th tee. Compound that with a calamity trying to get to the green and a totally meltdown was in progress. I sat in silence as his chip for bogey and a playoff raced by the cup.

5. Game 7 2014 World Series - Thankfully 2015 dampened and lessened the blow of this loss even though it still stings pretty bad. Madison Bumgarner being possessed by Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, and Cy Young at once and watching it knowing the inevitable absolutely sucked. Then you have the ray of light Gordo triple in the 9th and the uncertainty of never knowing what would've happened had he been sent...

What an uplifting topic, yes I know.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/fa8d...itemid=4728219

Hammock Parties 01-07-2019 05:22 PM

2010 home playoff loss

walked out of the stadium and felt like something had died inside me

didn't get it back until mahomes

saphojunkie 01-07-2019 05:22 PM

PHIL MICKELSON IS ONE OF YOUR MOST SCARRING SPORTS OUTCOMES WTAF

Rain Man 01-07-2019 05:23 PM

I'm not going to those dark places this week. This week is all about our glorious future of sunshine and lollipops.

Jerm 01-07-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14016215)
PHIL MICKELSON IS ONE OF YOUR MOST SCARRING SPORTS OUTCOMES WTAF

LOL I'm a huge golf nut and a huge Mickelson fan growing up...yes it sucked and yes I listed it. ROFL

Jerm 01-07-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14016218)
I'm not going to those dark places this week. This week is all about our glorious future of sunshine and lollipops.

We must purge the negative now.......that and this topic always sparks great conversations, memories, etc.

threebag 01-07-2019 05:27 PM

2001 Daytona 500 pretty much wrapped up my NASCAR fandom

htismaqe 01-07-2019 05:29 PM

97 was worse than 95 for me.

As far as most scarring? Rose Bowl. Just pick one. LOL

KC Dan 01-07-2019 05:30 PM

The playoff losses to the Colts, Donkeys, Ravens and Squeelers all hurt especially since I was at Arrowhead.
But, the game that scarred me was the Jan 2nd, 2000 home loss to the faiders. Being up 17-0 in the first 7 1/2 min to lose in OT, kicker kicking the ball OOB after KC scores and the long-long-long walk out to the car. Brutal... Not to mention DT loss shortly thereafter.

RN47 01-07-2019 05:32 PM

The most recent would be the playoff loss to the Colts in 2014; up by 28 in the second half, and knowing...knowing they are going to lose.

siberian khatru 01-07-2019 05:32 PM

1. Game 5 1977 ALCS
2. 1995 Chiefs-Colts
3. 1997 Chiefs-Broncos
4. 2014 Chiefs-Colts (Not a Super Bowl team, but 38–10 ... c’mon)
5. So many could go here ... I’ll go with 1997 Mizzou-Nebraska Fleakicker

jjjayb 01-07-2019 05:33 PM

The Indy/Chiefs playoff game in 2014 wrecked me. I thought we were finally going to beat the Colts in the playoffs. Huge lead in the 3rd quarter. Well, you know what happened. I was devastated.

The loss last year against the Titans after we had a huge lead wasn't near as bad because I was conscious that it could happen after watching the collapse against the Colts. Been there done that. The 2013 game I was SURE we had it won. I was blind sided by that loss.

Some here get upset about people whining and being negative about our chances this year. That game is why I have serious doubts. It scarred me bad. I will NEVER feel confident in a Chiefs playoff win after that. It's easier to deal with the pain of a loss when you're expecting it.

At least until Mahomes leads us to our 2nd or 3rd Superbowl. Then I may start feeling more confident.

ToxSocks 01-07-2019 05:35 PM

All of the ones.

#1 of all time though has to be the Monday Night Meltdown. I was a kid. This was my first real taste of fandom-failure. I cried. I don't remember how old i was, but seeing DT lose his shit like that was a disaster. I threw my dad's beer at the T.V.

#2 Might be when DT died.

#3 The recent collapse against the colts.

New World Order 01-07-2019 05:36 PM

5. Bills 32 point comeback on Oilers (lived in Houston then and wanted to see Oilers win as long as they weren't playing the Chiefs).

4. Utah Jazz losing to the Bulls in 98.

3. 28 point comeback on the Chiefs vs Indy in 14

2. 96 playoff loss

1. 98 loss when we had Rich ****ing Gannon and didn't play him as the 1 seed vs Donkos

Halfcan 01-07-2019 05:38 PM

Tiger Woods once missed a hole in one by 2 feet...2 fricking feet! I have been scarred for life over this and have not picked up a golf club since.

I can't watch golf on tv and even have panic attacks if people talk in a hushed, golf announcer tone.

notorious 01-07-2019 05:40 PM

1a Donk playoff loss
1b Indy meltdown
3 All kickers should die game

ToxSocks 01-07-2019 05:41 PM

I'd like to add the moment BlackOp posted that the ref team on Saturday is the same team that called the Pats game.

It's over before we even got started.

jjjayb 01-07-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14016267)
Tiger Woods once missed a hole in one by 2 feet...2 fricking feet! I have been scarred for life over this and have not picked up a golf club since.

I can't watch golf on tv and even have panic attacks if people talk in a hushed, golf announcer tone.

You need to go to your happy place. Picture hot chicks in lingerie and midgets. You'll be back on the greens in no time.

notorious 01-07-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14016277)
I'd like to add the moment BlackOp posted that the ref team on Saturday is the same team that called the Pats game.

It's over before we even got started.

They heavily benefit the home team, so we should be fine.

Nearly an 87% win rate for the home team too.

Jerm 01-07-2019 05:44 PM

I wanna read Hamas' lol...that'll be worth it alone.

I know he has some gems.

htismaqe 01-07-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 14016281)
You need to go to your happy place. Picture hot chicks in lingerie and midgets. You'll be back on the greens in no time.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...2FTm77.gif&f=1

Hammock Parties 01-07-2019 05:46 PM

having an emotional reaction to anything a pro golfer has ever done is the whitest thing ever

Jerm 01-07-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14016298)
having an emotional reaction to anything a pro golfer has ever done is the whitest thing ever

ROFL Touche.

Discuss Thrower 01-07-2019 05:52 PM

2013 Divisional - Chiefs at Colts

1997 Divisional - Chiefs vs Broncos

2017 Florida at Kentucky

2014 World Series - Game 7

Whatever year the Louisville kid snapped his leg in the NCAA tournament.

Halfcan 01-07-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 14016281)

Great advice! :bravo:

Just being able to post a golf clap for you, is a step in the right direction.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-07-2019 05:57 PM

Novella incoming...BRB

Jerm 01-07-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 14016315)
Novella incoming...BRB

Yes!

Buehler445 01-07-2019 06:00 PM

1. The Indy Debacle was king.

2. KU Syracuse - Gerry McNamara should die

3. KU Arizona

4. KU NIU

5. 97 - **** Donk Forever.

bsroyals54 01-07-2019 06:03 PM

you could list like 5 moments with just Andy Reid and Alex Smith Chief teams :shake:

RN47 01-07-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsroyals54 (Post 14016330)
you could list like 5 moments with just Andy Reid and Alex Smith Chief teams :shake:

Yeah, that loss to Denver at home where Jamaal fumbled inside :45 seconds remaining just sucked shit. “Dafuq did I just watch?”

DaNewGuy 01-07-2019 06:23 PM

No Punt game, my first real taste of failure, I was 10 and heartbroken, Baltimore playoff loss really stung, last chiefs game I got to see with my dad before he passed. We knew that `10 team was a fraud but that Charles run really gave us hope, Panthers loss to the Islanders in 2015 game 7, it was only the first round but still, don't see them in the playoffs too often, they had a great squad that year, really thought we'd make some noise......week 2 2015, that loss to the Broncos really ****ing sucked. Kick 6 game against Pittsburgh,....do I really need to explain?

Bearcat 01-07-2019 06:25 PM

Probably a tie between KU/Syracuse and Chiefs/Broncos '97.... I was crazy psyched for those games. Colts/Chiefs in '03-04 is up there, as I was in attendance.

And just for the suckiest time period...

KU/Syracuse, April 2003
Avalanche/Wild, April of 2003
Then the Colts/Chiefs, January 2004

And with Roy leaving KU and Herm coming along fairly soon after, that's when I took a few steps back from sports ruining my day/weekend/week.

Stuff like the Colts' 28 point comeback aren't even on the radar compared to those days.

wazu 01-07-2019 06:31 PM

1. '97 Chiefs/Broncos
2. '15 Chiefs/Colts
3. '14 Royals/Giants World Series Game 7 (Scar completely healed a year later)
4. '17 Chiefs/Titans
5. '03 Chiefs/Colts

(I never really felt that Bono was going to lead us to the promised land, so 95 is pretty far down my list.)

DJJasonp 01-07-2019 06:34 PM

maybe cause I was younger and not yet jaded......but the lowery missed FG in '90 at Miami was crushing.

I really thought we were the hottest team going into the playoffs.

That, and the jayhawks losing to Mike Bibby with what I still say was KUs greatest collection of talent at all positions......that was a travesty, as that team beats arizona 8 out of 10 times.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-07-2019 07:02 PM

I'm going to keep this to one team/person per sport, because in all honesty, there's nothing worse than being a Mizzou fan.

Honorable Mentions:

Chiefs v. Broncos, 1997; Chiefs v. Colts 2003; Missouri Football v. South Carolina 2013; Missouri Football v. Kansas 2008; Missouri Football v. Auburn 2013; Missouri Football v. Oklahoma 2007; Missouri Football v. Oklahoma State 2008; Missouri Basketball v. Kansas 2012; Missouri Basketball v. Norfolk State 2012; Missouri Basketball v. UConn 2009; Missouri Basketball v. Arizona 1994; Missouri Basketball v. Oklahoma 2002; Phil Mickelson v. Henrik Stenson, 2016; Phil Mickelson v. Justin Rose 2013; Phil Mickelson v. Retief Goosen 2004; Phil Mickelson v. David Toms 2002; Phil Mickelson v. Payne Stewart 1999; St. Louis Cardinals v. Boston Red Sox, 2004, 2013; St. Louis Cardinals v. Atlanta Braves 1996; St. Louis Cardinals v. San Francisco Giants 2012

*Missouri Football v. Nebraska 1997. Few games epitomize what being a Missouri fan is like quite as thoroughly as this one. If you were going to show one game to your child to understand what being a Mizzou fan is like, this is the game. Beaten down program? Check. Powerhouse coming in to play? Check. Plucky play from physically outmatched players? Check. Vicious throat rip to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as time expired? Check Blatant rules violations wholly ignored by the officiating crew? Check.

Mizzou led by 7 when a run-only offense from Nebraska got the ball with 62 seconds left, needing to go 67 yards. On the final play of the game, that vituperous one who sucks the penis Shelvin Wiggins kicked a ball he dropped up in the air (a penalty), allowing it to hang in the air for enough time (unbeknownst to Wiggins, because God is a ****) for a rat bastard named Matt Davison to dive down and make the catch. The fans storm the field thinking the game is over. They're wrong. Missouri is deflated and folds in OT. The North Endzone must have been built upon an Indian pedophile's pet cemetary.

Did I call my grandparents when Mizzou last held the ball to celebrate, thinking they could get one first down to run out the clock? Yes. Did I destroy a five gallon bucket with an aluminum bat after the game? Also yes. Is this game why I've never trusted an MU football team late in the game since? Absolutely.

*UCLA v. Missouri 1994. If you could condense a coach into an essential oil, this game was Norm Stewart. A team filled with scrappy, marginally-talented farm boys and a few hard-as-nails transfers (Paul O'Liney, much love) battled the clear #1 team in the nation to the very end of the game. Eighth-seeded Missouri, led by an awesome performance from O'Liney (5-6 from three, 9/13 overall) pulled ahead by one point with just over four seconds left after Julian Winfield made the two most pressure-filled free throws I've ever seen a Tiger attempt. What happens next has been replayed in NCAA Tournament packages for a quarter century. Norm inexplicably doesn't have Jason Sutherland check Tyus Edney until half court, at which point he has so much speed and momentum that he whizzes right by him, drives to the lane, and lofts a floater over the outstretched arms of Buck Grimm. Good. Season over. UCLA rolls to an NCAA title, and Norm never wins another tournament game. Every basketball team from junior high on sets up a defense after a timeout. Norm decides not to get the hands out of UCLA's best playmaker and best ball handler when they need to go the length of the court. Other teams got closer to the Final Four ('09, '02, '94), but none ever had their hearts ripped out quite like this.

*Phil Mickelson 2006 US Open. Phil won the Bell South by a dozen strokes earlier in the year, then cruised to his second title at Augusta. After winning at Baltusrol the prior August, he came to Winged Foot with the opportunity to do something only Tiger Woods and Ben Hogan had ever done: win three straight professional majors. Jack Nicklaus never did it, nor did Sam Snead, Palmer, or Watson. This was supposed to be a different kind of Mickelson. After coming under the tutelage of Dave Pelz, he began trying to improve the quality of his misses to increase his ability to get up and down. Unfortunately, Phil's swing has a tendency to get too long, which causes significant issues with timing on the downswing, and can lead to big misses, like hitting it in a ****ing trash can on 17 (where he saved par), followed by the inexplicable decision to hit driver on 18. His caddie said Phil couldn't get the ball far enough down with a 4 wood to give him a clean approach to the green. That's horseshit. That hole played 450 yards that day and Phil averaged 301 off the tee. He could have easily hit his 4 wood 240-250 yards and given himself no more than a five iron into that green. Compounding the mistake was trying to hit a banana cut with a three iron around the tree. It smacked solid. He tried to flight his third shot high above the trees, but it over cut and splattered into a downhill, fried egg lie. With greens running 12-13 on the stimpmeter and away from him, he had no shot. Over the green. Chip shot to tie ran eight feet past. Open gone. Making it worse was Geoff Ogilvy winning his only major after a miracle chip in on the 17th hole (he probably makes triple more often than he pars that hole). It was a complete collapse, a mixture of horrible course management, a bad swing, and bad luck. It was Phil.

*St. Louis Cardinals v. Houston Astros 2005. This doesn't seem as devastating now as it was at the time. If you're in your mid-thirties, you aren't quite old enough to remember the great Cardinal teams of the 80s, but just old enough to remember the awful Joe Torre teams of the early 90s. The year before the Cardinals were indisputably the best team in baseball. They're the only team I can think of that had three eight win players on it. But a bunch of idiots from Boston got hot at the right time and swept them out of the first World Series I'd ever seen them play in. The next year the Cardinals were arguably the best team in the game again, and their rotation was bolstered by the health of Chris Carpenter and the addition of Mark Mulder. After Mulder pissed down his leg in Game 2 and the Astros took Games 3 and 4 in Houston (including the only time I've ever seen a player get ejected mid AB in the post-season, **** you Phil Cuzzi), the Cardinals were down two runs in the 9th inning (after a bullshit three run homer that just snuck over the Crawford Boxes) with two outs in an elimination game, Eckstein and Edmonds reached, and Pujols hit an 0-1 slider from Brad Lidge on an intercept trajectory for Voyager 1. Bill Simmons called this result a "Dead Man Walking Game" noting that no team can recover from a loss like that, and that the Cardinals losing the series would cause him to have to create a new level of losing. I was a first-year graduate student making $7800 a year. I was pumped. I bought will-call tickets on eBay, drove 500 miles, met my best friend, and we went to Game 6, expecting a triumph. Instead, we got the last game ever played at Busch II. Roy Oswalt was dominant and Mark Mulder was the disloyal, fool-ass bitchmade punk every Cardinal fan feared he would be in a big game. Dan Haren turned into one of the better starters in the latter half of the 2000s. Mulder worked on his short game. I drove back 500 miles whose only playoff fan experiences were blowing a 3-1 lead against the Braves in '96, the spectacular meltdown of a generational lefty in 2000, and the meltdowns of '01, '02, and '04. After '05, the Cardinals felt every bit as cursed as any of the other teams I rooted for.

*Chiefs v. Colts 1996. This was not the best Chiefs team of my life, but it is the one that broke me. For Christmas 1993 I got a magnetic dry-erase board with helmets and placards for all NFL teams. I would make predictions for each game each week, then track my W-L records over the course of the season. This Chiefs team should have been different. Tim Brown ran into a ref on a slant route in OT, allowing a pass to float to James Hasty for a game-winning pick six. They beat the dog piss out of Denver in Denver, lost in Miami because they are the Chiefs, but were what I thought was a legitimate contender. After all, I was a homer. This game disabused me of any such optimism. Bono was so incompetent, Marty so shellshocked, and Elliot so shitiful that I literally could not believe what I was watching. It didn't seem real. It didn't seem fair. It didn't seem...deserved. What I learned that day was what William Munny already knew: deserve's got nothing to do with it. I destroyed the board that day. Since then, my Chiefs fandom shifted from faith and optimism to rage and ultimately...apathy. Some fights change fighters. Ali and Frazier were never the same after Manila. Meldrick Taylor was never the same after the premature stoppage against Chavez, nor Mugabe after Hagler. This game ruined me as a Chiefs fan.

CoMoChief 01-07-2019 07:02 PM

1. 2017-18 loss to Titans at home.
-That Bears fan cussing his ass off on that viral live stream last night? That was me last year, except I didn't film it. Totally felt that dude's pain.

2. 1995-96 loss to Colts at home.
-I know this is #1 on most, but only reason this isn't #1 is because I was only 11 at the time, and I wasn't drunk. I was way more emotionally invested into the game being in my 30's in 2017. Had that game happened now, I'm just not sure how I'd react.

3. 2002-03 KU loss to Syracuse National Title
-Gerry God Damn ****ing McNamara...little bitch ass freshman playing w/ the ****ing game genie on in the 1st half...**** that guy forever. Don't remember 1988 except mullets and biker shorts, so seeing Roy's teams eat shit in March in the 90's, I was finally gonna be able to see my favorite player of all time, Kirk Hinrich, win a NC...then came McNamara, Melo, and Warrick. **** them all. Will hate 'Cuse for all enternity.
(hon. mention...Ali Fahroukawhogivesashit....**** that 2009-10 Northern Iowa team and 1996-97 loss to Arizona ****ing Miles Simon...games were like a bad ****ing dreams)

4. 2014 Royals WS loss vs SF Giants
-Main reason why this loss didn't sting as much as the others listed above is because I knew they'd be back next year and really, everything after that Oakland A's game was just icing on the cake. But **** MadBum and Joe Buck...****in one who sucks the penis.

5. 2013-14 Chiefs playoff loss to Colts
-I just about lost it in a bar when Luck fumbled it to himself only to dive across OL to score. Had to step out to my car. I'll leave it at that. Alex Smith actually played more than well enough to win, even had one of his best games as a Chief that game. Kendrick ****ing Lewis.

displacedinMN 01-07-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14016218)

I am with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I blocked a few threads with negativity attached. May do this one too.

Think good thoughts.

mr. tegu 01-07-2019 07:06 PM

I remember just being devastated in the 95 and 97 losses but I was still somewhat young. Too young to be scarred. I was also devastated after losing game 7 in 2014 but that season was still so amazing.

So the most scarring for me was the 38-10 blown lead. That’s the one that actually had a years long impact with regards to losing that enthusiasm and excitement for the Chiefs. There was no way we were going to lose so I was already celebrating in my mind. It’s what made me really disconnect from being completely emotionally invested in the team. Unlike the others this one had an impact way beyond the initial shock and sadness of a loss.

Red Dawg 01-07-2019 07:07 PM

97 for me. That team would have won the SB if Gannon played in the game and going forward.

Bearcat 01-07-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 14016408)
maybe cause I was younger and not yet jaded......but the lowery missed FG in '90 at Miami was crushing.

I really thought we were the hottest team going into the playoffs.

That, and the jayhawks losing to Mike Bibby with what I still say was KUs greatest collection of talent at all positions......that was a travesty, as that team beats arizona 8 out of 10 times.

Not sure why KU/Arizona wasn't as scarring to me... was relatively young and must not have realized how good that team actually was at the time.

IMO, in no way was the 2014 Royals scarring, and I was at game 7 of the WS (and paid out the ass for it).... that was such an amazing and unexpected run.... I mean, 2 minutes after the final out, fans in our section were chanting "thank you, Roy-als". And you knew they'd be back. Yeah, watching the game wasn't all sunshine and roses, but it was all just icing on the cake at that point........ similar to KU/Kentucky in the NC (except baseball is much more of a 50/50 game, of course).

excessive 01-07-2019 07:17 PM

VCU beats Kansas to go the Final Four, 2011

Garcia Bronco 01-07-2019 07:17 PM

Broncos Redskins super bowl
Broncos vs Jacksonville divisional round
Liverpool Chelsea 2014..Gerrard slips
Broncos Ravens 2013 divisional round
Broncos Chiefs..MNF...you know the rest....Joe freaking Montana.

Garcia Bronco 01-07-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14016473)
97 for me. That team would have won the SB if Gannon played in the game and going forward.

Hehe...maybe. :)

Reerun_KC 01-07-2019 07:25 PM

95. After that I have always been jaded toward the true fan homers. Those fans that always squawking about how great the chiefs are in the regular season.

Kiimo 01-07-2019 07:35 PM

Arizona 97.

**** Mike Bibby.

TwistedChief 01-07-2019 07:36 PM

1. Chiefs/Broncos 1997 playoffs - still remember walking out of there seeing grown men sobbing.
2. Chiefs/Broncos 1998 MNF meltdown game - I remember Bubby Brister running untouched on a bootleg and DT facemask after facemask. I felt like I lost my innocence.
3. Mets/Royals 2015 Game 5 - I'm a Mets fan and was excited that we would at least send the series back to KC. But then the 9th inning happened.
4. 1999 Florida/Michigan State Final Four - I remember Mateen Cleaves and Richard Jefferson owning the Gators. So close to seeing my team for the first time win a title.
5. Chiefs/Colts - how do you blow a 28pt lead?

Hammock Parties 01-07-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14016536)
2. Chiefs/Broncos 1998 MNF meltdown game - I remember Bubby Brister running untouched on a bootleg and DT facemask after facemask. I felt like I lost my innocence.

Yeah. I remember feeling like "oh...my favorite team are assholes."

Evidently the Hunts felt the same way.

Prison Bitch 01-07-2019 07:48 PM

1. Colts-KC 1996. The next 3 slots intentionally left blank to reflect magnitude of the scar tissue. In fact, compared to all others it’s a logarithmic scale of rage, bitterness, and dangerous psychopathy.
5. KU-Rhode Island 1998 2nd Round. I’m pretty accepting of what that Tourney does on a regular basis so not shocked very often when KU loses, but this one infuriated me to no end.

Sassy Squatch 01-07-2019 07:51 PM

Our playoff collapses are common knowledge, so I'll go another direction. TNF Raiders-Chiefs in 2014. I have never been as absolutely livid at the Chiefs as I was that night.

Prison Bitch 01-07-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14016592)
Our playoff collapses are common knowledge, so I'll go another direction. TNF Raiders-Chiefs in 2014. I have never been as absolutely livid at the Chiefs as I was that night.

As far as Chiefs reg season, our 1994 loss to the Lambs:
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...9409250kan.htm

We were 3-0, at home, favored by -14.5 against a 1-2 shit team. Shut out 16-0 as Joe threw 3 picks. The Lambs would go 2-10 (!) the rest of the way.

TwistedChief 01-07-2019 07:58 PM

Ugh - I just realized the entire '97 Chiefs/Broncos playoff game is now easily found on YouTube. Re-lived that last drive.

It'll be good when we beat the Colts and make some new memories.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14016621)

You're going to see Clay with big fat blubbering tears running down his face.

Reerun_KC 01-07-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14016575)
Yeah. I remember feeling like "oh...my favorite team are assholes."

Evidently the Hunts felt the same way.

That game finally ended the farce known as Marty. I was so glad to see that error end.

Reerun_KC 01-07-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14016621)
Ugh - I just realized the entire '97 Chiefs/Broncos playoff game is now easily found on YouTube. Re-lived that last drive.

It’s time to end all the curses on this franchise.

KC_Connection 01-07-2019 08:16 PM

Picked one from each of the major sports/leagues I follow largely based on expectations leading into these games/series (which is why the Raptors don't make the cut, I've never had any expectations for them but that may change in 2019):

1. Kansas/Northern Iowa 2010 R32 (The prime example of why a single elimination tournament to decide a champion is an awful idea (or a great one depending on your perspective). This 2010 KU team (Aldrich, Collins, Morris, Morris, Tyshawn, Henry, TRob, EJ, Morningstar, Reed) was absolutely stacked and should have and likely would have won the national championship this year had a guy not made a shot he had no business even taking. We haven't seen a KU team as good as this one in the decade since and may not for a long, long time)

2. Jays/Royals 2015 ALCS Game 6 (Jays were the best team in baseball by a wide margin (+221 run differential) this year and lost to a rather mediocre Royals team on one of the luckiest runs in the history of the MLB playoffs; it didn't help that the outcome of the deciding game 6 was largely decided by bad umpiring in the end)

3. Leafs/Hurricanes 2002 EC Finals (great playoff run with two game 7 victories ends against an underdog Carolina team, Leafs have not had a better chance at the Cup since then)

4. 2003 Chiefs/Colts (There are a lot of Chiefs disappointments I could pick, but this is the only one of them where I legitimately had expectations the team could win it all. This was an absolutely unstoppable offense, on par with this year actually, and yet they lost in the first home playoff game played. It made it even tougher that the offense played more than well enough to win and that they were done in by an abysmal defense)

5. Djokovic/Wawrinka French Open 2015 F (Djokovic was in about his 5th season as the top player in the world and had accomplished nearly everything in the sport except winning Roland Garros. The career grand slam has only been accomplished by 3 players in the Open Era--Agassi, Federer, Nadal and he was about to do it in a match he was a massive favorite in. He then promptly got blown off the court and was reduced to tears. He went on to win the next four slams, which nobody had ever done in the Open Era, including the French itself but that one stung as a long-time fan)

6. Mike Weir losing 2004 Canadian Open to Vijay Singh (With the exception of Phil Mickelson, this was one of the worst chokes I've ever witnessed in golf. Weir had thousands of people cheering out of their minds for him, Singh was playing poorly (and almost seemed to be trying to give him the win) and yet he still blew it completely with an awful finish. No Canadian has still won this tournament in 65 years).

InChiefsHeaven 01-07-2019 08:16 PM

I don't want to talk about it.

Huskers getting jobbed in the 94 Orange Bowl by the SemenHoles.
Huskers getting jobbed in the Big 12 championship by Texas (extra second on the clock).

All of those Chiefy moments we all know...but the 2003 loss to the Colts was...****ing ridiculous.

MAG 01-07-2019 08:20 PM

Nothing will ever top K-State-A&M '98.

chinaski 01-07-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14016180)
5. Game 7 2014 World Series - Thankfully 2015 dampened and lessened the blow of this loss even though it still stings pretty bad. Madison Bumgarner being possessed by Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, and Cy Young at once and watching it knowing the inevitable absolutely sucked. Then you have the ray of light Gordo triple in the 9th and the uncertainty of never knowing what would've happened had he been sent...

http://i.imgur.com/8uWBckh.jpg

KC_Connection 01-07-2019 08:30 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GiwqEz50ipY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why would this guy ever take this shot? How do you not just run clock there when you are a massive underdog? Also WTF is Tyrell Reed doing here, how do you not run him off the three point line?

Dartgod 01-07-2019 08:32 PM

1. 1976 ALCS Game 5, Chris Chambliss walk off homer off Mark Littell in the 9th. Just devastating.

2. 1995 loss to the Colts

3. 1997 loss to the Broncos (****ing dirty cheaters!)

4. 2013 loss to the Colts

5. 1984 Orange Bowl, Nebraska loses to the Miami Hurricanes when Osborne goes for the two point conversion and the win instead of the XP and tie. The conversion fails and Miami wins the national championship instead of my Huskers.

Dartgod 01-07-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14016668)
2. Jays/Royals 2015 ALCS Game 6 (Jays were the best team in baseball by a wide margin (+221 run differential) this year and lost to a rather mediocre Royals team on one of the luckiest runs in the history of the MLB playoffs; it didn't help that the outcome of the deciding game 6 was largely decided by bad umpiring in the end)

https://assets.parents.com/s3fs-publ...PF9SPETsqtRISw

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2019 08:34 PM

1. Losing senior year in football in first round of state playoffs. We were undefeated, ranked 3rd in state. Got upset by 2 points, we missed a field goal. Team we lost to went on to get 2nd in state. Should have been us.

2. Chiefs-Colts in 1996 playoffs. Not the best Chiefs team but I was young and thought they would win the Super Bowl.

3. Chiefs-Broncos in 1998 playoffs. Best Chiefs team in the last 30 years. Lost to the better team, but still it hurts.

4. Royals-Giants 2014 World Series. Tough because we were so close and it took an all time great performance to beat us.

5. Missouri State getting left out of NCAA tournament in 2006. Highest ranked team ever to be left out.

smithandrew051 01-07-2019 08:50 PM

No particular order on these:

-Kansas vs Syracuse in 2003. 3 point loss after shooting 12 for 30 from the free throw line. And **** Gerry McNamara.

-Chiefs vs Broncos in 2015. Jamaal Charles with 2 fumbles to lose the game. The second was returned for a TD when we were trying to run out the clock for OT. Extra salt in the wound that it was instrumental in giving the Broncos another title. Had we won, we would’ve been the 2 seed and the Broncos would’ve been the 5. No way the Broncos win 3 straight road games to get to the Super Bowl with that QB play.

-Kansas vs Northern Iowa in 2010. We were on a collision course with Kentucky for the title. 2 losses all year before that game. Loaded roster (5 NBA big men on that team). Northern Iowa’s center hadn’t attempted a 3 All year and goes 3-3. And **** Ali Farokmanesh.

-Chiefs vs Steelers in 2017. A slow methodical death. Felt like watching someone saw your foot off with a butter knife.

-Royals vs Giants Game 7 in 2014. Yes, I was ecstatic to see the Royals just make it to the World Series. I couldn’t help but think that they would revert back to the old Royals the following year (thankfully I was wrong). Really felt like we let a golden opportunity slip away. I figured that would be the closest I’d ever see the Royals get.

DJay23 01-07-2019 08:53 PM

1. KU loses to Northern Iowa in the second round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament. Crap team plays mud ball and 8 foot tall monsters make 3s with :02 on the shot clock. ALL. GAME. LONG. KU couldn't do anything it wanted. At all. All night. That KU team should have won a National Title and should have done it by beating everyone by 25. I was so despondent after Faroukmanesh made that 3 that I ripped my shirt off Hulk Hogan style and went to the basement to build things. I decided I needed to channel my rage to make something rather than destroy it. In retrospect, that may have been when my ex wife decided to divorce me.

2.Chiefs lose to Broncos in Divisional Round of playoffs after the 97 season. The season Grbac broke his collar bone, Gannon filled in and had the team on the right track and should have played in the play offs. This one hurt more to me than other Chiefs losses because A. Gannon should have been playing rather than a rusty Grbac, B. It was to the Broncos and specifically and old and fading John Elway C. The Broncos cheated, D. The awful call that took away a Tony Gonzalez TD. It gave me an awful sick feeling in my gut that wouldn't go away for days.

3. Chiefs lose to the Dolphins in the Wild Card game in Miami after the 1990 season. This was my first real exposure to playoff football as a Chiefs fan (I was born in 77 and barely paying attention in 86). The made field goal, then the phantom hold, then the missed field goal. I was 13 and sobbed like a widow. I couldn't fall asleep that night, had a throbbing headache, and kept replaying the make and then miss over and over in my head. It's like my brain couldn't make sense of what it had seen.

4. Kansas loses to Missouri at Arrowhead in 07. The only loss of the greatest season of KU football. I think KU still made out because I doubt they beat OU in the Big XII title game the following week. Getting the Orange Bowl and winning it was a huge coup for the program. But that loss in a vacuum was as bitter and gut wrenching as they get. The possibility was there for KU to win a National Title in Football only 11 years ago. Let that sink in.

5. KU loses to Arizona in the Sweet 16 in the 97 NCAA tournament. My one year as a student on Mt Oread. It was like someone died. The last game for Jacque Vaughn, Scot Pollard, and Jerod Haase. It felt so wrong that that team that destroyed almost every team it played could lose to that band of upstarts (but what turned out to be a great team). All of the joy of being young and in college seemed to slip right out of my soul when the final horn sounded. For a little while, it came back of course.

While not the outcome of a game, the loss of Derrick Thomas really hurt. He was my favorite player and he ushered in a new era of Chiefs football. I grew up a Chiefs fan before DT, hung on through the strike season, was excited by the Nigerian Nightmare, but goddamnit DT cemented it for me as a Chiefs fan in my early years of fanhood. To see an athlete of such power reduced to nothing and to have him slip meekly away in a hospital bed was hard to wrap my head around. The night he died I had go to a "demo night." I was in college and my Methods instructor was showing us some cool science demos we could use in our classes. Something that should have been fun was awful because I couldn't stop thinking about DT. Weird what sports do to us when if you step back and look at it, doesn't really make a real difference in our lives for better or worse.

smithandrew051 01-07-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14016724)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GiwqEz50ipY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why would this guy ever take this shot? How do you not just run clock there when you are a massive underdog? Also WTF is Tyrell Reed doing here, how do you not run him off the three point line?

I picked this game too. Their center hadn’t taken a 3 All year and went 3-3.

Just kills me that a team with 5 NBA bigs (all drafted and 4 lottery picks) could lose to that.

Great. Now I’m pissed again. I went to bed right after that game. It was like 3 pm too.

KC_Connection 01-07-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14016799)
I picked this game too. Their center hadn’t taken a 3 All year and went 3-3.

Just kills me that a team with 5 NBA bigs (all drafted and 4 lottery picks) could lose to that.

Great. Now I’m pissed again. I went to bed right after that game. It was like 3 pm too.

They would literally beat this team 19 times out of 20 on a neutral court, most of them in blowouts. Basically everything had to go wrong for UNI to even win by 2. Sherron played his worst game as a Jayhawk in his four years in his final game (4 for 15, 5 turnovers).

Ming the Merciless 01-07-2019 09:02 PM

Bottom 4 are the colts losses , in no particular order

#1 is trading for alex smith

2003 playoff loss was sad too

mr. tegu 01-07-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14016668)

The good news is that you can take this off your list if it only makes it based on your Royals opinions because the Royals were the best team all season, had an all time great bullpen for years, outscored opponents 52–11 in the seventh inning or later that postseason (lucky? yeah no) and from something like mid 2014 to 2016 they had the most wins in baseball. I don’t remember that stat exactly though. Luckiest run in history teams don’t win 22 post season games in two seasons.

smithandrew051 01-07-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 14016806)
They would literally beat this team 19 times out of 20 on a neutral court, most of them in blowouts. Basically everything had to go wrong for UNI to even win by 2. Sherron played his worst game as a Jayhawk in his four years in his final game (4 for 15, 5 turnovers).

I felt awful for Sherron. An all time great Jayhawk to go out like that.

That year seemed like destiny too. Like all the stars aligned for that roster to come together the way it did. No major losses from the previous year and a good recruiting class. Such a kick in the nuts.

ptlyon 01-07-2019 09:15 PM

That halftime show might have been it

In58men 01-07-2019 09:16 PM

#1. Trading for Alex Smith, I knew nothing good would come out of it. I watched several games with him as a Niner due to my brother being a fan. I had ZERO faith in Smith.

#2. Carl Edwards getting spun out by Larson in the championship race when Edwards was dominating all day.

#3. Fedor’s first MMA loss against Werdum. Still breaks my heart.

#4. Derrick Thomas passing away.

#5. Losing to Titans at home. Mariota’s batted pass TD still pisses me off because that’s how we should lose, in the most Chiefiest way.

Why Not? 01-07-2019 09:17 PM

1. Game 7 2014 hands down.

2. Chiefs Colts. The latest one.

3. Hawaii Georgia. Don’t get me wrong, I had no delusion of winning but just to see em get beat down so badly after such a magical season.

4. Plano East vs John Tyler HS football playoffs Dallas, TX 1994. Look it up. Had a buddy who was the PESH QB. I even left early and it was still painful.

5. Any because Chiefs shitty Andy and Alex loss

Bearcat 01-07-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 14016741)

LMAO

tk13 01-07-2019 09:23 PM

1. Colts/Chiefs 96. This is far and away the worst one. I think the Chiefs have had better teams lose in the playoffs, but the unspoken truth is that this is probably the best chance the Chiefs had to actually get to the Super Bowl. The 97 loss and 2003 loss were brutal but we were playing HOF QBs in both of those games and it was very clear it would be a hard fought contest. In 95, we went into that game knowing the Steelers had knocked off the Bills. There were no great QBs left, or honestly great offensive weapons. The Colts had Harbaugh and Lamont Warren at RB. The Steelers had Neil O'Donnell and Bam Morris and Eric Pegram. Even with Bono, that team had every reason to get to the Super Bowl. And if the kicker could have made a kick, maybe they would have.

2. Colts/Chiefs 13. We had a new coach, new QB, things seemed to have completely turned around from the rock bottom Pioli disaster in just one year. Then they get a 28 point lead in the third quarter, and you think it really has changed, the curse was over. Then it wasn't.

3. Chiefs/Broncos 98. Yeah.

4. Royals/Giants game 4. I'm going to pick a different game, because once Bumgarner came in it was like watching a slow march to death and it felt impossible to beat him. Even when game 4 loss happened I was frustrated by it. We had a chance to go up 3-1 on the Giants and had an early lead in this game, but we blew it in the 5th and 6th innings and couldn't get it to the cyborgs. I truly believe if they could have just held the fort for a couple innings they win that World Series. This is the one game SF won without riding Baumgarner.

5. Chiefs/Colts 07. This was like watching a slow death too. I knew how horrific the Colts run defense had been. Worst in the league. They literally gave up 100 yards rushing in every single game, gave up 200+ rushing yards multiple times and had given up almost 400 yards rushing to the Jags a few weeks before as things got progressively worse. And we had Larry Johnson, a monster RB who would roll the train right over them on the way to the 2nd round. Sure thing. And on top of that we held Peyton Manning in check and picked him off 3 times. Yet somehow, we were lucky to get 100 yards of total offense and got whipped.

Sorry 01-07-2019 09:26 PM

Niners vs giants. Kyle Williams game

FloridaMan88 01-07-2019 09:26 PM

1) Chiefs losing to the Colts in the ‘95 playoffs.

2) Miami getting screwed by the refs in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Ohio State.

3) Chiefs losing to Denver in the ‘97 playoffs.

4) Chiefs blowing a 28 point lead vs. the Colts in the 2013 playoffs.

5) Miami losing to Notre Lame in ‘88.

SAUTO 01-07-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 14016489)
Not sure why KU/Arizona wasn't as scarring to me... was relatively young and must not have realized how good that team actually was at the time.

IMO, in no way was the 2014 Royals scarring, and I was at game 7 of the WS (and paid out the ass for it).... that was such an amazing and unexpected run.... I mean, 2 minutes after the final out, fans in our section were chanting "thank you, Roy-als". And you knew they'd be back. Yeah, watching the game wasn't all sunshine and roses, but it was all just icing on the cake at that point........ similar to KU/Kentucky in the NC (except baseball is much more of a 50/50 game, of course).

I agree about the 14 ws loss. I just knew we would get back. I just knew that group would win one.

suzzer99 01-07-2019 09:32 PM

1. Chiefs playoff game at Miami - '90 season. Marino comes back from down 13 in the 4th Q. Chiefs get to the 30 or so down by 1. Okoye runs it down to the 10, should be game over. Nope - holding Dave Szott - which no one ever saw, and I'm told was just because he pancaked his man and he defender pulled him down onto him. Deberg can't get any more yards. Lowery misses a 50-yarder with the wind - dead center perfect - one yard short. Nothing will ever hurt as much as that game. A piece of me died that day.
  2. The nameless kicker game.
  3. Tom Watson in the British open at 59 years old.
  4. Tyus Edny - I was watching with a bunch of my friends who went to Mizzou.
  5. Probably Phil Mickelson at Winged Foot - so painful.

ClevelandBronco 01-07-2019 09:36 PM

1. The Fumble
2. The Drive
3. Red Right 88
4. Game 7, 1997 World Series
5. Can't think of one.

suzzer99 01-07-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 14016471)
I remember just being devastated in the 95 and 97 losses but I was still somewhat young. Too young to be scarred. I was also devastated Ayer losing game 7 in 2014 but that season was still so amazing.

That's how I was with the Chris Chambliss Royals game. Just a little too young to be devastated. I do remember my Mom locking herself in her room.

It's amazing I can't think of one scarring loss by the Royals since. It never really felt like we were in the 1980 WS, or any of the other playoffs we lost before '85. Then we didn't have any playoffs for 29 years. As bad as the Bumgarner game was - I was so happy just to make it that far that I can't put it in my most painful losses.

The Chiefs OTOH have been just a factory of pain since 1990 or so. Quite impressive actually.