ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith: The 49ers were completely dysfunctional (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310048)

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-13-2017 10:24 AM

Alex Smith: The 49ers were completely dysfunctional

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZB6CtgLngLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Something we have never heard him come out and say about his previous organization.

"3 different head coaches, 7 different offensive coordinators, 17 different starting receivers in 7 seasons."

Talks in detail about the huge differences between the culture in San Fran and (implies) how it is in Kansas City.

--
A defining moment for his and Andy's career (which no one realized at the time), is the SNF game where they play host to the Eagles and Andy Reid witnesses the home crowd turn on Alex and cheers for the backup.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p8QTODUYkZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater 09-13-2017 11:00 AM

No1curr

Chiefspants 09-13-2017 11:02 AM

The dysfunction makes me appreciate Alex's difficult situation with the 49ers.

The crowd, on the other hand, paid top dollar and sacrificed their time to be there. They paid for the right to boo if they want to.

RippedmyFlesh 09-13-2017 11:04 AM

The fact he played for singletary and didn't get ruined is admirable.

Hammock Parties 09-13-2017 11:10 AM

It's comforting to know the offense has been so much more productive here in KC with Smith and the relative lack of dysfunction. To approach scoring 20 points a game last year with Smith as our QB was indeed a blessing.

SAUTO 09-13-2017 11:11 AM

Who really ****ing cares?

Chiefspants 09-13-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13078519)
It's comforting to know the offense has been so much more productive here in KC with Smith and the relative lack of dysfunction. To approach scoring 20 points a game last year with Smith as our QB was indeed a blessing.

LMAO

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-13-2017 11:16 AM

Trollin so hard. Keep being wrong on your predictions!

PAChiefsGuy 09-13-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13078526)
Trollin so hard. Keep being wrong on your predictions!

Isn't it funny how the 'Predict Alex Smiths Week 1 Stats' thread disappeared? What a joke.. Man up to your predictions.... Pu***es

Rain Man 09-13-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13078503)
No1curr

Icurr.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-13-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 13078534)
Isn't it funny how the 'Predict Alex Smiths Week 1 Stats' thread disappeared? What a joke.. Man up to your predictions.... Pu***es

'he sucked while he was at San Fran (provides zero context)'

RunKC 09-13-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 13078534)

People gave Alex credit. You better be here if he struggles.

Beef Supreme 09-13-2017 11:39 AM

Alex had a great game. If he played like that all the time, we wouldn't have drafted his replacement. I didn't predict shit, but you can't blame people for predicting based on previous performance. If he continues to play like he did last Thursday, most of us will be happily surprised, but don't come in here telling everybody "I told you so" just because he had one of his few really good games.

Eleazar 09-13-2017 11:42 AM

Alex may not be a Super Bowl caliber QB, but the primary limitation on this team's ceiling continues to be Reid.

notorious 09-13-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13078572)
Alex had a great game. If he played like that all the time, we wouldn't have drafted his replacement. I didn't predict shit, but you can't blame people for predicting based on previous performance. If he continues to play like he did last Thursday, most of us will be happily surprised, but don't come in here telling everybody "I told you so" just because he had one of his few really good games.

If plays at 80% of Thursday they are going to destroy everyone on the way to the SB.

I just want him to have those games at the right time.

PAChiefsGuy 09-13-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

I'm absolutely going to say I told you so if he has a great season. All the crap and insults I got on here for defending Smitty, I have a right to gloat a little if I am proven to be right.

It's a long season but for one week he has made a lot of you look like idiots.

As I said before Smitty always did well here. He simply was limited with the weapons we had and the constant injuries. He still won a lot of games and usually he always managed the game well. He was always a good QB not the piece of s**t many on here made him out to be.

Now he appears to have upped his game. Add that to the fact we have more weapons and you see the results. It is going to be a great year for the Chiefs and a great year for Smitty.

#GoChiefsGoSmitty

Baby Lee 09-13-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

If [Alex] played like that all the time, we wouldn't have drafted his replacement.

So we're clear. Your position is that, even at 33, if Alex is performing better as of last spring Patrick Mahomes Jr was NOT worth the effort to acquire?

Titty Meat 09-13-2017 12:02 PM

I feel sorry for Alex seems like a great guy whos a good but not great QB.

TLO 09-13-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter Libby (Post 13078618)
I feel sorry for Alex seems like a great guy whos a good but not great QB.

Why would you feel bad for him? He's making more money this year than you'll ever see in your lifetime, all for playing a game.

Dude is living good.

BigBeauford 09-13-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13078607)
So we're clear. Your position is that, even at 33, if Alex is performing better as of last spring Patrick Mahomes Jr was NOT worth the effort to acquire?

If Alex played even remotely close the last 4 seasons to what he did against the Pats, I don't see any reason to give up what they did in the draft to get Mahomes. They probably would have been content to draft at their position for almost a decade with Smith at the helm until they landed a future placement.

Red Dawg 09-13-2017 12:21 PM

I am still in shock with the play of Smith. It's so out of character for him but that's how he's suppose to play and it could be just because his back is to the wall now. He's got one season to get it done and that will be it. Nothing to lose so throw the ball with a purpose and don't settle for short yardage all the time.

Get tds one way or another is his job. Either get it on the ground or in the air.

Beef Supreme 09-13-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13078607)

33 isn't all that old for a QB. If he was consistently playing like he did last Thursday, we probably would not have traded up in the first round to draft a QB.

Aaron Rodgers is 33 and you don't see the Packers drafting a replacement yet. I think Mahomes is worth the pick, and picks we gave up to get him, but probably not this year if our qb was Aaron Rodgers. It has nothing to do with the value of Mahomes, but the need on the team.

But you know that. You're just being a prick.

threebag 09-13-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

No1curr

Good kick rocks then

threebag 09-13-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Eat a bag of dicks

Tribal Warfare 09-13-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

No1curr

This, hopefully the Chiefs will recoup a 2nd round pick by trading Alex after this season with a strong showing.

RobBlake 09-13-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13078682)
This, hopefully the Chiefs will recoup a 2nd round pick by trading Alex after this season with a strong showing.

I hope alex wins a super bowl and gets traded and then Patrick Mahoney never suits up for chiefs

Baby Lee 09-13-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13078669)
33 isn't all that old for a QB. If he was consistently playing like he did last Thursday, we probably would not have traded up in the first round to draft a QB.

Aaron Rodgers is 33 and you don't see the Packers drafting a replacement yet. I think Mahomes is worth the pick, and picks we gave up to get him, but probably not this year if our qb was Aaron Rodgers. It has nothing to do with the value of Mahomes, but the need on the team.

I completely disagree, if it came to light that we could have acquired Mahomes at the price we paid and didn't because our 33yo QB probably still had a few years left, I'd be pissed. Particularly if it came to light in the week after we lost another year of Eric Berry.

IF YOU truly are all in on this shit about elite franchise QBs being the only thing that matters anymore in the NFL, you don't half-ass it and grab whomever happens to be available whenever the need arises then cross your fingers and pray. You IDENTIFY generational talent and ACQUIRE him when the opportunity rises.

I'm not 'happy we finally drafted a QB.' I'm happy we drafted Mahomes.

But you know that, you just continue to be a ****.

Tribal Warfare 09-13-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 13078691)
I hope alex wins a super bowl and gets traded and then Patrick Mahoney never suits up for chiefs

PMII effect sprouts so much angst from Alex Only fans.

Eleazar 09-13-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

People like this should be Rompered

DaFace 09-13-2017 12:37 PM

For what it's worth, there's a whole series of these videos on the YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBs...DAU5hwN9bGVk_A

Beef Supreme 09-13-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13078697)
I completely disagree, if it came to light that we could have acquired Mahomes at the price we paid and didn't because our 33yo QB probably still had a few years left, I'd be pissed. Particularly if it came to light in the week after we lost another year of Eric Berry.

IF YOU truly are all in on this shit about elite franchise QBs being the only thing that matters anymore in the NFL, you don't half-ass it and grab whomever happens to be available whenever the need arises then cross your fingers and pray. You IDENTIFY generational talent and ACQUIRE him when the opportunity rises.

I'm not 'happy we finally drafted a QB.' I'm happy we drafted Mahomes.

But you know that, you just continue to be a ****.

Well, you are high then. I'm wildly happy we drafted Mahomes, but if the Packers had made the same trade we did to get Mahomes, everyone would be saying "what the ****?"

Chiefspants 09-13-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13078711)
Well, you are high then. I'm wildly happy we drafted Mahomes, but if the Packers had made the same trade we did to get Mahomes, everyone would be saying "what the ****?"

If Alex Smith played like Aaron Rodgers, we'd have no need for Pat Mahomes.

Baby Lee 09-13-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Nah, just the idiots.

Good news is, it'll be a good 5 years before we know BOTH the full potential of Mahomes AND how good a job GB does in preparing for life after Rodgers.

Beef Supreme 09-13-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13078721)
If Alex Smith played like Aaron Rodgers, we'd have no need for Pat Mahomes.

Did you read the thread? That's what I ****ing said.

Chiefspants 09-13-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13078725)
Did you read the thread? That's what I ****ing said.

I was agreeing with you.

DJ's left nut 09-13-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

No1curr

Not true.

That's a fantastic interview. Don't do yourself a disservice just because it involves Smith.

You don't hear NFL players being nearly that candid often.

threebag 09-13-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

No they wouldn't.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-13-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

I was saying this spring that Smith is going to be better heading into his mid-30's. A huge percentage of long time vets have played their best ball between 30-36.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-13-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13078731)
Not true.

That's a fantastic interview. Don't do yourself a disservice just because it involves Smith.

You don't hear NFL players being nearly that candid often.

I posted it for that reason. Especially from someone like Smith who has always been one to keep his mouth shut and just go to work

FlintHillsChiefs 09-13-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13078705)
For what it's worth, there's a whole series of these videos on the YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBs...DAU5hwN9bGVk_A

Yep. Slow day at work so I've been watching these. The segment about how he felt losing his job to Kaepernick is great as well as the one about how he wanted to be at KC with Andy Reid.

JohnV 09-13-2017 02:41 PM

Still are. Only person that's been able to cover up the dysfunction since the Yorks took over is Jim Harbaugh, and Alex lovers swear he can't coach in this league lol

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-13-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnV (Post 13078986)
Still are. Only person that's been able to cover up the dysfunction since the Yorks took over is Jim Harbaugh, and Alex lovers swear he can't coach in this league lol

Who said this? Provide links.

stevieray 09-13-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Enough to sweep the division.

Sandy Vagina 09-13-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13078580)
If plays at 80% of Thursday they are going to destroy everyone on the way to the SB.

I just want him to have those games at the right time.

Can't say it will always be the right time, but I think 80% of is doable now. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 13078635)
Why would you feel bad for him? He's making more money this year than you'll ever see in your lifetime, all for playing a game.

Dude is living good.

So much of this. Barring some horrible injury, there can be no feeling bad for this 100 million dollar man at this point.

Quote:

Aaron Rodgers is 33 and you don't see the Packers drafting a replacement yet.

Alex was 20 years old when drafted and he started yr 1.. has multiple concussions, and two surgeries to his throwing shoulder. Rodgers sat for 3? or 4 years.. has he endured any major injuries that compare?

SAUTO 09-13-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

I hope you lose your head.

Hammock Parties 09-13-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MODSAUTO (Post 13079404)
I hope you lose your head.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...ls_ramirez.jpg

ThaVirus 09-13-2017 08:58 PM

That was actually a pretty refreshing interview. I appreciated the intimacy and lack of the bullshit gladhanding typically present in a forced post-game interview.

He said at one point in his career he looked forward to road games to escape the boos of the home crowd. If he hadn't signed a $50 million dollar contract before he played a down I might even feel sorry for the guy.

I wonder what was up with his body language though- the slumped shoulders and staring at the ground for 90% of the interview...

DaFace 09-13-2017 09:06 PM

If anyone hasn't watched these yet, here's an actual ordered playlist you can binge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Ja...4m-yqSkQfHoWNz

OldSchool 09-13-2017 09:43 PM

Nice interview.

Chiefspants 09-13-2017 10:05 PM

Finally had the chance to watch the whole thing. This was a straight up fantastic interview with Alex.

Titty Meat 09-14-2017 01:22 AM

Bensinger opened up the interview by asking Smith if it felt like the 2017 season would be his last year in Kansas City.
"For sure," Smith said. "It absolutely does. Without a doubt."

Mav 09-14-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

What? Jim Harbaugh is a ridiculously good coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GayFrogs 09-14-2017 01:32 AM

I was reminded of this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvj0CwoJGkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaWolf 09-14-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13079681)
Finally had the chance to watch the whole thing. This was a straight up fantastic interview with Alex.

Agreed. Although I still get thrown off by Alex always yelling out "YEAH" in the middle of a question...

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-14-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter Libby (Post 13079804)
Bensinger opened up the interview by asking Smith if it felt like the 2017 season would be his last year in Kansas City.
"For sure," Smith said. "It absolutely does. Without a doubt."

Graham phrased the question "You think this has the potential to be..."

Typical Smith being humble and not looking to stir up controversy. Would expect him to be the last person on this team to show any form of entitlement.

RunKC 09-14-2017 09:12 AM

Alex knows this is his last year. Might as well try to make it count.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-14-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 13079805)
What? Jim Harbaugh is a ridiculously good coach.

Yea he just made something up to label Smith supporters as complete Harbaugh haters. Harbaugh is undoubtedly a talented coach that can turn any organization around. He's done it at least 4 times now.

The reason things went downhill in San Fran is a messed up front office who couldn't handle Harbaugh's personality (also, Stanford had major issues with him and his very controlling ways), in addition, there were reportedly several players that were going to management saying they didn't trust him. And like Graham stated in one of his videos, many of those Niners vets confided to Alex that it was a sinking ship once the trust was broken.

Hammock Parties 09-14-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13080069)

Typical Smith being humble and not looking to stir up controversy. Would expect him to be the last person on this team to show any form of entitlement.

And yet that's exactly what he was with this statement:

Quote:

Smith would've preferred to see the team use their 2017 first-round pick on someone who could've contributed to the team right away.

"It's a tough pill to swallow," Smith said of seeing Mahomes get drafted. "It's like, man, [we] could've added this or this or this position or this player."

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-14-2017 09:17 AM

Damn you're stupid Clay. He was being honest in that interview with the reality of the situation but not once did he show any entitlement to this job.

RobBlake 09-14-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut (Post 13080087)
Damn you're stupid Clay. He was being honest in that interview with the reality of the situation but not once did he show any entitlement to this job.

Like why wouldn't he want a elite weapon to be added?

wazu 09-14-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 13080100)
Like why wouldn't he want a elite weapon to be added?

An elite weapon WAS added.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-14-2017 09:35 AM

:facepalm:

Reerun_KC 09-14-2017 09:37 AM

I see everyone is pissing off Mrs Smith today.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13080083)
And yet that's exactly what he was with this statement:

Trent Green said roughly same exact thing in 2006 when the Chiefs drafted Brodie Croyle with the difference being, Green said it LIVE on ESPN.

Host: What do you think of the Chiefs drafting Brodie Croyle?

Green: I don't like it, I don't like it at all. We're trying to win. Drafting a guy that can help this year is far more important.

These guys are competitive so OF COURSE Smith doesn't like it.

I'd wager that Hali, DJ, Berry and the rest of the vets didn't like it, either.

The NFL: Not For Long.

PAChiefsGuy 09-14-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080122)
Trent Green said roughly same exact thing in 2006 when the Chiefs drafted Brodie Croyle with the difference being, Green said it LIVE on ESPN.

Green: I don't like it, I don't like it at all. We're trying to win. Drafting a guy that can help this year is far more important.

Exactly.

Of course Smitty didn't like it. That's common sense. No one in his position would.

SAUTO 09-14-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080122)

Houston sure looked disappointed in in the preseason on the sideline over who we took number one, berry and dj too.

Who gives a **** about a guy who trashed his teammates and bitched about snaps publicly, while defending a guy who let another guy molest children for years? Who cares what THAT guy thinks?

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MODSAUTO (Post 13080129)
Houston sure looked disappointed in in the preseason on the sideline over who we took number one, berry and dj too.

Who gives a **** about a guy who trashed his teammates and bitched about snaps publicly, while defending a guy who let another guy molest children for years? Who cares what THAT guy thinks?

I'm not saying that it's "visible" disappointment but I have to think that in the back of their minds, they'd rather have a guy that can help them win this year, not in the future.

Most of these guys know that they're one snap from ending their season or even their careers.

As for Hali, yeah, for sure, but I was referring to Draft Day, not after his public meltdown.

SAUTO 09-14-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080133)
I'm not saying that it's "visible" disappointment but I have to think that in the back of their minds, they'd rather have a guy that can help them win this year, not in the future.

Most of these guys know that they're one snap from ending their season or even their careers.

As for Hali, yeah, for sure, but I was referring to Draft Day, not after his public meltdown.

they may have got a guy to help them win this year, if smith gets hurt they are gonna need a qb...

threebag 09-14-2017 12:48 PM

going to be a long wait for Mahomes to see the field.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-14-2017 01:21 PM

Smith brought up a good point in the interview about drafting and being realistic if that can player can truly help out immediately. And you have to take that from the perspective that we are a team with higher standards than most of the league with our current roster.

Going into the draft:
WR -> had maclin/tyreek/conley BEFORE the draft
TE -> Kelce, Harris and a few others already fighting for #3
OL -> filled
RB -> position of need (traded up for Kareem, other best option in this system would have been Dalvin Cook)
K/P/ST's-> filled
LB -> DJ and committee fighting for two spots. (Made acquisitions after draft. Will likely use high round pick in 2018 if DJ retires and KPL or Ragland don't pan out)
OLB -> filled
Corner/safety -> filled
DE -> needed depth (Acquired Logan in March to replace Poe) and drafted Tanoh

Not often as a GM do you get this luxury of being content with your roster and get to plan ahead for the future for the most important position. Dorsey may be dumb with money, but he has an eye for talent along with Veach. Honestly, the Chiefs are in the best situation when you look around the league and we are one of the youngest teams judging off the starting lineups.

Rasputin 09-14-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13080503)
going to be a long wait for Mahomes to see the field.

Not if Alex Smith gets hurt or he gets some garbage time in a blowout game.

Next year isn't too terrible long to wait if he doesn't get the field this year. A good off season as #1 Quarterback ota will go a long ways. Hope Patrick gets some playing time this year for experience.

threebag 09-14-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13080674)
Alex Smith is an IRON MAN.

Two years isn't too terrible long to wait if he doesn't get the field. A good couple of off seasons as #2 Quarterback will go a long ways. Hope Patrick succeeds with the Aaron Rodgers experience.

fyp

Rasputin 09-14-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13080686)
fyp

No you ****ed it up that way. Mahomes isn't going sit two years that's just dumb.

threebag 09-14-2017 02:48 PM

You hope

Rasputin 09-14-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13080696)
You hope

No I believe that's how it's going be. Alex Smith even knows this is his last dance as a Chief.

Tribal Warfare 09-14-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13080696)
You hope

You don't want PMII to succeed?

threebag 09-14-2017 04:58 PM

Yeah I do more than anything. He wasn't drafted as a "need" he isn't breaking the bank and will fill in just fine for now as QB 2. Who fills the hole when he moves to QB 1? Bray?

Go from having no QBs to having two of them and everyone bitches

I for one am glad Alex Smith is in Kansas City because it was just sad before he did

okcchief 09-14-2017 07:43 PM

I really enjoyed that interview. It's pretty rare that a player doesn't hold back. Alex is out of ****s and that's a good thing.

A8bil 09-18-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

I think the Harbaugh legacy is a bit more complicated than you think. Harbaugh does have a great track record of coming in and leveraging existing assets to make very competitive teams. He also has a track record of wearing out his welcome, and he has thus far been unable to have sustained success.

When he took over the 49ers they had an immense amount of talent. Their offensive line was almost all first round talent. Gore was still in his prime. Crabtree was in his prime. Vernon Davis was an allstar...their linebackers were the best in football. Justin Smith may have been the best all around lineman in the League. 10 years of sucking had allowed them to stockpile a ton of talent, and Harbaugh knew that. All they needed was some good (not great) coaching, and Fangio and Roman brought that. Problem was that as they lost that talent to retirement, or contract issues, and did not replace it because of poor drafting and poor choices, they started to decline and the lack of truly great coaching caught up. Fangio was writing checks on defensive calls that the players couldn't cash. Roman's quirky "tackle eligibles," became predictable. People often forget that the 49ers were 8-8 for Harbaugh's last year. As they became less talented, they needed better execution, something they could not get from Kaepernick and their diminished roster.

Funny thing is when Smith got benched in the 2012 season, he was 6-2-1 and was playing some of the best ball of his life. Geep Chryst has finally provided some coaching stability, and you could see the improvement in Alex's play...then he got benched, for no apparent reason other than Harbaugh's infatuation with Kaepernick's running ability. Alex had one of the all-time great games for the 49ers in the 2011 playoffs against New Orleans, and with two long TDs to Vernon Davis in the NFC Championship game (despite a steady rain) it looked like he had sealed the game, but two really stupid plays by Kyle Williams gave the game to the Giants and kept the 49ers out of the super bowl. Eli came into that game as one of the hottest QBs in the league, and Alex outplayed him. Many 49ers fans thought KC got the better QB. Turns out, they were right.