ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football talk: What happened with Colin Kaepernick? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305736)

Dante84 02-03-2017 03:07 PM

Football talk: What happened with Colin Kaepernick?

Keep the National Anthem / Political bullshit out of here. Daddy wants to talk football.

I am, admittedly, not a great judge of football talent. I am good at describing what I think are good attributes, what I think are shitty attributes, and I am always a glass half-full kind of guy. It's my nature.

I'd like to know what led to the collapse of CK. I thought he looked solid coming out of Nevada, he took the league by storm, which sent Alex over to us. Then, When Harbaugh left, it all fell apart.

Did defenses adjust to his speed? Is it his pocket awareness? Too meek, or too aggressive? Inaccurate? What happened?

He just opted out of San Fran, and is now a Free Agent. 49er re-tread jokes aside, and political bullshit aside, is he a decent replacement for Foles, while we draft a rookie and let him develop?

GloucesterChief 02-03-2017 03:10 PM

NFL stands for Not For Long. Kaep (and RGIII) gimmick offense was figured out and shut down. Kaep never learned to read more than half the field.

notorious 02-03-2017 03:12 PM

Harbaugh left.

Dante84 02-03-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12724921)
Harbaugh left.

So, with that logic, if he had a good coach, he could be good again?

notorious 02-03-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12724936)

You never know for sure, but I bet he would have kept his focus.

ThaVirus 02-03-2017 03:22 PM

It was kind of strange. They stopped running the read-option that made him so dangerous in Harbaugh's final season which limited his effectiveness.

Combine that with a lack of premier targets and field awareness and he took a big step back.

He also had an injury which contributed to his slide into this season. I still don't think he's fully recovered. He's gangly as hell now where before he was pretty solid.

King_Chief_Fan 02-03-2017 03:24 PM

Gimicky guy who was more effective with his legs than his arm. Defenses have him figured out and he will never be a pocket passer. Fraud exposed and now done.
I dont want him or Foles

007 02-03-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12724936)

Don't even think about it.:#

Frazod 02-03-2017 03:28 PM

Even if his skills hadn't completely deteriorated, he'd have to be one of the top QBs in the league to overcome the level of baggage he'd bring to a new team and its fanbase.

Much like Michael Sam, Kaepernick is about to find out that nobody wants to deal with his personal agenda and the endless media shitstorm that comes with it when they're just trying to work.

Rooster 02-03-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 12724951)

James Bond is right. Don't even think what you are thinking. Slowly walk away from the keyboard and pretend you never started this thread.

ToxSocks 02-03-2017 04:15 PM

He's always been self absorbed and about his image. He doesn't care enough about football. He got paid and that was the end of it.

Just look at his body composition. He's always been slight framed, but this season even more so. If you don't have the passion to maintain an NFL frame then you certainly don't have the passion to be an NFL QB.

jjchieffan 02-03-2017 04:20 PM

ElFraud sure wanted him last year. I wonder how he feels about him now. It would be so funny to see him get signed to start in Dungver and gear KnowShit go on and on about how good coaching will make him great, just like Stephenson last offseason. LMAO

Rasputin 02-03-2017 04:27 PM

I could say with certainty that Andy Reid would not disrespect Alex Smith by bringing in Colin Krappernick.

Why even bring him up? That would be ridiculous this fan base would kill.

chiefzilla1501 02-03-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12724907)
Keep the National Anthem / Political bullshit out of here. Daddy wants to talk football.

I am, admittedly, not a great judge of football talent. I am good at describing what I think are good attributes, what I think are shitty attributes, and I am always a glass half-full kind of guy. It's my nature.

I'd like to know what led to the collapse of CK. I thought he looked solid coming out of Nevada, he took the league by storm, which sent Alex over to us. Then, When Harbaugh left, it all fell apart.

Did defenses adjust to his speed? Is it his pocket awareness? Too meek, or too aggressive? Inaccurate? What happened?

He just opted out of San Fran, and is now a Free Agent. 49er re-tread jokes aside, and political bullshit aside, is he a decent replacement for Foles, while we draft a rookie and let him develop?

CK was actually a decent QB this year. Hard to see because his defense was so ****ing terrible. But in the month of November, he was a pretty effective QB.

His biggest problem is he has tiny tiny hands. I saw commentary about the Bears game where he got benched at the end of the game. They said his throws were completely wobbly.

I think he'd be a decent backup QB for some team. Not going to lead you to a championship but better than most backups.

Buehler445 02-03-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12725040)
He's always been self absorbed and about his image. He doesn't care enough about football. He got paid and that was the end of it.

Just look at his body composition. He's always been slight framed, but this season even more so. If you don't have the passion to maintain an NFL frame then you certainly don't have the passion to be an NFL QB.

This. He is a Prick. When it came easy he was all good. Then when he had to go to work he became a ****.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12725061)
CK was actually a decent QB this year. Hard to see because his defense was so ****ing terrible. But in the month of November, he was a pretty effective QB.

His biggest problem is he has tiny tiny hands. I saw commentary about the Bears game where he got benched at the end of the game. They said his throws were completely wobbly.

I think he'd be a decent backup QB for some team. Not going to lead you to a championship but better than most backups.

Didn't he have more turnovers than yards in one game? Maybe it was points.

Eleazar 02-03-2017 04:44 PM

Gimmick offense that the league figured out

Had a lot of good jump-ball receivers to mask his shortcomings in accuracy and making reads

Lack of mental toughness/maturity

Not a leader/seems to lack respect of his teammates

Never that good in the first place

TribalElder 02-03-2017 05:13 PM

Alex quit helping him think

I think booger used to help Alex much more than foles did

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-03-2017 05:21 PM

Only a douchebag like kaep would date his teammate's ex-girlfriend. Yes, that did happen. What a superb locker room leader

BryanBusby 02-03-2017 05:52 PM

The Offense, and team, completely fell apart since he took over.

They lost almost their entire starting OLine, top targets (Crabtree and VD) and let their best RB walk away to Indianapolis.

They went from an offensive mastermind in Harbaugh to a...uh...Geep Chryst?

They really ****ed his development up and gave him no help. He also probably came off the bench too early in SF.

Is he fixable? Who knows. I do know the broken douche still threw for more TDs than tiny hands, with about half the amount of passes.

Valiant 02-03-2017 05:56 PM

Pretty much been said.

He was figured out and gameplanned for.
He got injured and didn't hit the game books.
No adjustments. Bad at reading the field.
He seems to be a bad leader.

Saying all that. If he asked steve young to teach him he could still have a career. But he has to put in work. Seems like he got paid and decided making his political woman happy was more important.

And then bad coaching and ownership is tied to it.

007 02-03-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12725123)
Only a douchebag like kaep would date his teammate's ex-girlfriend. Yes, that did happen. What a superb locker room leader

Hey something we can agree on

TimBone 02-03-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 12724951)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 12725036)
James Bond is right. Don't even think what you are thinking. Slowly walk away from the keyboard and pretend you never started this thread.

LMAO

RobBlake 02-03-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12725069)
This. He is a Prick. When it came easy he was all good. Then when he had to go to work he became a ****.

First of all... he was injured for quite a long time and had to have surgery outside of the team docs.. of course his body is barely coming back.

Im glad he's gone personally.. he would actually be interesting to watch with Reid ironically.. would love the storylines with alex leading again lmao

Tombstone RJ 02-03-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

John Harbaugh left and took the pacifier with him.

Sandy Vagina 02-03-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

I'd like to know what led to the collapse of CK.

Honest opinion here.

Kaep got by on his early years for a few reasons. Strong team... crazy athletics.. and the hunger to be a star.

The first explains itself... and the team became dramatically weaker in years that progressed. The second.. athletics.. Kaep ended up being super reliant on his first read, and ability to backyard ball. This is fine.. as long as it's your initial stepping stones into the League. Teams have yet to truly break your game down, and counter it. You have to develop further... and this leads into the third issue... the hunger. Kaep had the stardom pour down on him early on.. and elected to not further his dedication to move beyond the athleticism... to not grow as a QB.

-King- 02-03-2017 06:17 PM

I think it was the people around him more than it was him himself. He wasn't good this season, but it wasn't like he was horrible anything. It's just that he didn't have anybody to hand off to or to throw to. Seriously, how many 49ers skill players can you name without looking them up?

That team was a dumpster fire from the owner on down.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 02-03-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 12725171)
I think it was the people around him more than it was him himself. He wasn't good this season, but it wasn't like he was horrible anything. It's just that he didn't have anybody to hand off to or to throw to. Seriously, how many 49ers skill players can you name without looking them up?

That team was a dumpster fire from the owner on down.
Posted via Mobile Device

He threw for 16 tds and 4 ints this year

Mr. Laz 02-03-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12724921)
Harbaugh left.

So then you agree that coaching has a dramatic effect on QB play?

-King- 02-03-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12725348)
He threw for 16 tds and 4 ints this year

If the FO had actually tried and out capable players around him, he would have had a really good year numbers wise. But instead, the 49ers are undoubtedly the least talented team in the league.
Posted via Mobile Device

scho63 02-03-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

To me, he looks like he lost interest in football. He has no drive or desire. He also appears to be one selfish and self centered prick, which is NOT good for team sports, especially football.

I DO NOT WANT HIM NEAR OUR TEAM-HE WOULD INFECT BERRY WITH CANCER AGAIN!!! :cuss:

-King- 02-03-2017 10:19 PM

FWIW his teammates voted him as the most inspiring and courageous teammate so it's BS to say he'd be a locker room cancer or bad teammate.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A! 02-03-2017 10:27 PM

He is by all accounts a great person in the community, and he definitely has more upside in our system than Alex. If he's cheap, it would be a no-brainer to bring him in to compete for a spot (even if as QB2 initially ). It all depends on his price.

chiefzilla1501 02-03-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12725069)

Yes, as I said before, he had a horrible game in a sub-zero temperature game. It wasn't just that game. He's sucked in cold temperatures overall.

He isn't a consistent starting QB. But he's not nearly as bad as some of his haters want him to be. In warm weather, he's a halfway decent lower-tier starter.

Eureka 02-03-2017 10:44 PM

He had an injury before training camp and was not in "football shape" at the start of last year. He started to improve as the year progressed. He's kinda an unknown this offseason.

DaNewGuy 02-03-2017 11:33 PM

Forgive me as I only watched the Niner/Dolphins game this year, but his stats don't look that bad at all? Complete aids antifreeze tire dumpster fire pillow biter wide outs to throw to aswell and seemed to do alright

Bigdaddy 02-04-2017 01:19 AM

As a forty niner fan I will tell you what I think. Colin Kaepernick is a one time wonder because the league caught on to him. Yes, he looked amazing with his speed against the bears and packers in 2012, and even made some nice throws. However, he was never a cerebral guy. He had a lot of weapons around him, with an amazing defense. Harbaugh did some nice work with him, but Kaepernick's performance started to decline before Harbaugh even left. Kaepernick is not a pocket passer, all he knows how to do is run really fast. He can't read a defense, stares down his receivers, and when his first progression is covered, he panicks and runs out of the pocket. This is why you will never see him take a big hit. I've never liked the guy and I'm counting the days until this moron is gone. Harbaugh made a mistake and it cost us a Super bowl. Carma is a bitch!

Pasta Little Brioni 02-04-2017 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 12725446)
FWIW his teammates voted him as the most inspiring and courageous teammate so it's BS to say he'd be a locker room cancer or bad teammate.
Posted via Mobile Device

King riding in on his white horse yet again ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni 02-04-2017 04:17 AM

His favorite fans came here following Alex....hurt his feelings

BryanBusby 02-04-2017 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 12725580)
As a forty niner fan I will tell you what I think. Colin Kaepernick is a one time wonder because the league caught on to him. Yes, he looked amazing with his speed against the bears and packers in 2012, and even made some nice throws. However, he was never a cerebral guy. He had a lot of weapons around him, with an amazing defense. Harbaugh did some nice work with him, but Kaepernick's performance started to decline before Harbaugh even left. Kaepernick is not a pocket passer, all he knows how to do is run really fast. He can't read a defense, stares down his receivers, and when his first progression is covered, he panicks and runs out of the pocket. This is why you will never see him take a big hit. I've never liked the guy and I'm counting the days until this moron is gone. Harbaugh made a mistake and it cost us a Super bowl. Carma is a bitch!

Carma

-King- 02-04-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12725621)
King riding in on his white horse yet again ROFL

But they did sooo....
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 02-04-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaNewGuy (Post 12725505)
Forgive me as I only watched the Niner/Dolphins game this year, but his stats don't look that bad at all? Complete aids antifreeze tire dumpster fire pillow biter wide outs to throw to aswell and seemed to do alright

Because people made up their mind before he threw his first pass. I don't think many commenting on his season paid any attention to him other than a bad Chicago game.

ThaVirus 02-04-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12725040)

He had shoulder surgery this past offseason. That's the reason he looked so frail this year.

arrwheader 02-04-2017 11:35 AM

I can't believe this is even being talked about on here.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 12725703)
But they did sooo....
Posted via Mobile Device

It was a pity vote. No one wants to hang out with him. Since watching him play in that SB you can see the support for him went on the decline in a hurry

Dante84 02-04-2017 12:14 PM

"Carma is a bitch."

Ka-do's to you, sir.

Kaepernick 02-04-2017 07:23 PM

My take is:

1. Stubborn, not coach-able.

2. Inferior field vision.

3. Wants to be a running QB, not a pocket QB.

Kap had all the raw material but never developed.

Here is one example of his poor coach-ability. After Jim Harbaugh was fired, one of Jim's former assistant coaches leaked that Kaepernick refused to throw timing passes. He wasn't merely poor at it, but he refused to even attempt to learn to do it. I can't say if he refused in practice, but when it came to games, he refused to throw timing passes. This is a staple of good quarterbacking. How often do you see great QBs willing to throw the ball even before a great WR makes his cut? The ball is in the air going to the place the WR has practiced getting to on his route for hundreds or thousands of reps. The receiver could trip or be pushed of his route, but the point is, the QB has to be willing to throw that pass anticipating that the receiver will get to the spot of the ball.

Kap REFUSES. He won't do it. He only wants to throw line of site passes to receivers. He can't adapt from his college success to what he needs to do to be successful in the NFL.

I am sure his coaches have drilled him relentlessly on foot work, yet is still terrible.

He flees a clean pocket at the hint of pressure. Your line can't protect you if they don't know where you are. As a 6 year veteran, I am sure he had ample coaching on mechanics, pocket presence, footwork, timing passes, but he just flat refuses to get away from what worked for him in college.

He has all the measurables and is a tireless worker and a good teammate. Only a so-so leader, but what can I say. Beyond that, if he refuses to take his coaching, he is never going to develop. Maybe he needs a Parcells or Ditka to beat things into his head. I don't know.

I think he has hit his ceiling and he is never going to be more than a bottom 1/3rd starter in the NFL.

Kaepernick 02-04-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 12725458)
He is by all accounts a great person in the community, and he definitely has more upside in our system than Alex. If he's cheap, it would be a no-brainer to bring him in to compete for a spot (even if as QB2 initially ). It all depends on his price.

Trust me, you don't want him. He has no more upside than Alex presently. He is not coach-able, or at least has not shown that he is coach-able. I don't know that Andy Reid is the guy to kick his ass and wake him up. Kap has hit his ceiling. He is not going to improve much from here. Now if you put him on the Cowboys with the NFL's best O-line and with Dez Bryant, I am sure his performance would improve, as would any QBs. The problem with fleeing a clean pocket would be masked by having a fortress to stand behind. The problem with not seeing the field well would be masked by throwing to Dez Bryant most of the time, and with all that time behind a top O-line, even a blind QB could go through his progressions.

On KC? No, you don't want him.

Mr. Laz 02-04-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 12725458)

His field vision is worse than Alex's