ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Netflix: Making a Murderer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297109)

Don Corlemahomes 12-30-2015 12:48 PM

Netflix: Making a Murderer

Watch it. Now.

rocknrolla 12-30-2015 12:57 PM

Got sucked into it, ended up staying up til 4am. Fell asleep during episode 8, well done documentary. I had never heard of him.

WhiteWhale 12-30-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist (Post 11986660)
Watch it. Now.

Spoilers ahead...

Afterwards research the actual case, and you might be a bit annoyed at how much evidence the docuseries omitted for the sake of the narrative.

It exposed a lot of corruption in the legal system, but after researching the case I'm pretty certain Avery killed that woman.

They don't mention that Avery's DNA was found on the hood latch of her jeep, where the battery cables were removed.

They don't mention that Avery was obsessed with her and specifically requested her.

They don't mention that he called her 3 times that day.

They don't mention that she asked her bosses to never send her out to Avery's place again because she felt threatened by him as he had a habit of greeting her without all of his clothes on.

They also downplay his violent past prior to the wrongful rape conviction.

Yeah, the system is bad and I'm convinced the police planted evidence. Kachinski should be disbarred for what he did when he was working Dassey's case. I'm still pretty certain Avery killed that woman. Both can be, and likely are, true.

KCUnited 12-30-2015 01:58 PM

I'm assuming spoilers are ok since the entire series has been released. Spoilers below anyway...

Incredible story and there's an obvious narrative to expose the WI justice system. The biggest mystery to me is where this woman actually died. It's hard to believe that a cognizant dummy such as Avery could pull off a potential rape and murder without it being a huge mess of DNA. There's no way he could clean that garage or trailer if she was shot. There was a more ideal place on the property to burn the body. It's also a bit telling that he's never admitted it and won't get a job, which is basically how he survived his first stint, to dedicate himself to the prison law library to work on his flat lined case. Plus, he was looking at a huge payday if he just stayed straight.

But yeah, with his blood in the vehicle there's no way he wasn't getting convicted. And with his defense being a law enforcement frame job, no court was going to touch it.

unlurking 12-30-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 11986672)
Spoilers ahead...

Can just use spoiler tags.

SAUTO 12-30-2015 03:11 PM

i thought it was ****ing nuts that the vial of blood he submitted in 85 had a needle prick in the lid and the evidence tape was ripped...

Skyy God 12-30-2015 03:36 PM

Haven't watched more than 3-4 episodes, but the timing of the murder vis a vis his payday from the state (and the depos of the principals in his wrongful prosecution case later in November 2005) seems awfully suspicious.

SAUTO 12-30-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 11986972)
Haven't watched more than 3-4 episodes, but the timing of the murder vis a vis his payday from the state (and the depos of the principals in his wrongful prosecution case later in November 2005) seems awfully suspicious.

add in the fact that lenk was involved in everything...

Don Corlemahomes 12-30-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 11986672)
Spoilers ahead...

From reddit because Im too lazy to post it myself:

Quote:

Remember that in order for Steven to be guilty, he had to have killed Teresa in the garage (as the prosecution claims), despite their being none of Teresa's blood in the garage other than on the bullet fragment "found" months later. Her bloody body was then placed in the back of her own car (where her blood was actually found), and driven the 20 FEET or so to the fire pit where she was supposedly burned.
THEN, in order for Brendan to be guilty, she had to have been tortured, raped, stabbed and had her throat cut in the trailer, leave absolutely no biological evidence there, then either drag her or drive her in own car (still alive) the 20 feet to the garage and shoot and kill her, then drag or drive her to the fire pit for burning.
This is insane. If you believe the prosecution in these two cases, you not only have to believe that these two guys somehow managed to clean up all that blood and leave no trace (which is frankly practically impossible) in an extremely short window of time, but you also have to believe that for some reason they had to place Teresa in the trunk of her car to transport her a matter of feet to either the garage or fire pit or both... which also makes absolutely no sense.
I'd like to add: The key having SA's DNA, but not teresa's (odd), Colburn mentioning the license plate number in a call two days before the car was "found" on SA's property, and the blood vial that was tampered with that was discredited with an unreliable EDTA test.

All your post has done is provide motive. Outside of that, there are so many inconsistencies in this case that it's nearly impossible to actually say for certain whether SA did it or not. But I can tell you this- we will never find out if someone else committed this crime (exonerating SA). There are no less than 4 other suspects who were not even on the investigators' radar.

WhiteWhale 12-30-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist (Post 11987245)
From reddit because Im too lazy to post it myself:

I'd like to add: The key having SA's DNA, but not teresa's (odd), Colburn mentioning the license plate number in a call two days before the car was "found" on SA's property, and the blood vial that was tampered with that was discredited with an unreliable EDTA test.

All your post has done is provide motive. Outside of that, there are so many inconsistencies in this case that it's nearly impossible to actually say for certain whether SA did it or not. But I can tell you this- we will never find out if someone else committed this crime (exonerating SA). There are no less than 4 other suspects who were not even on the investigators' radar.

Did you research the physical evidence that was left off of the show or not?

I agree that they planted evidence. They coerced false confession from Dassey. I agree the murders could not have taken place in the way he was accused. It's impossible. I agree the system is corrupt and this aspect made me very angry when I watched it. I agree the media painted him as guilty before he was even charged. None of this means he is innocent of this murder though. It means we'll never know what actually happened. Even if he commited the murder, it didn't happen the way Dassey claimed. So now that we agree, we can move on to what I was actually talking about.

The fact that Dassey's original story included him helping SA move the car, Where Avery removed the cables, which directly led to the police checking for and finding Avery's DNA on the hood latch demonstrates he opened the hood recently. This wasn't a blood swab. Why do you think the documentary left that out? It's not the only evidence omitted from this series. He also purchased leg and arm shackles 3 weeks prior to her disappearance, though he did claim they were for Jodi.

You are taking a documentary at face value with no critical thought applied. I suggest checking it out. I'm not being condescending, it's just obvious your knowledge of the case comes exclusively from a very biased documentary. Check out the evidence that was omitted from the documentary and put your critical thinking cap on. You may not reach the same conclusion, but learn all of the facts and then come to a conclusion. Otherwise even if you're right, you're right for the wrong reasons. If you ask me, both sides are lying and we'll never know what happened to that poor girl.

BigRock 12-31-2015 05:18 AM

Where could I read more about how "Avery was obsessed with her" or how "she asked her bosses to never send her out to Avery's place again because she felt threatened by him"?

KCUnited 12-31-2015 07:02 AM

Not sure why the shackles purchase would matter since there's no physical evidence that she was ever bound.

Jerm 12-31-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 11987747)
Where could I read more about how "Avery was obsessed with her" or how "she asked her bosses to never send her out to Avery's place again because she felt threatened by him"?

Reddit......lol. Great source.

The wife and I are 6 episodes in having come into this with little to no knowledge and holy shit is this the most batshit insane thing I've watched. We both see the writing on the wall for where this is going...which is ridiculous and sad because it's blatantly obvious to me what happened and what I've seen so far Avery's defense is DESTROYING the state and their case.

The fix is in though and it's easy to see it...I mean even the judge's rulings are so blatantly skewered so far it's not even funny.

I've also had this thought in my head and I can't shake it and it's clear as day to me...Avery is mere days if not weeks from receiving an insane amount of money but yet he kills a woman, leaves incriminating evidence all over his own property, and does all this while clearly knowing he's being targeted and has been for years? LOL ok....

bowener 12-31-2015 02:40 PM

I don't care if he did do it or not. I absolutely believe evidence was planted by the police, not in an attempt to frame him, but to ensure his conviction. Let the man receive a fair trial. That is it! Instead they went the OJ route, but it worked for them since they evidently have a jury pool of inbred idiots and a shit load of corruption.

Dr. Gigglepants 01-01-2016 12:22 AM

I can't believe the jury was initially 7 not guilty, 3 guilty, 2 unsure. Crazy they returned a unanimous verdict.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray 01-01-2016 12:45 AM

Not reading spoilers...just watched first episode..DAMN.

Drove by there on the way to GB.. Stayed in Appleton..

ragedogg69 01-01-2016 10:02 AM

Just binged this with my wife. We loved it. I cannot say 100% that Steve didnt murder Teresa, but the investigation and the way the State proceeded in court makes me think there is no way he was convicted. The Prosecutor gave me a bad vibe from his first press conference. Turns out he was a complete scumbag. I am glad people are making his life hell. The kids first attorney as well.

I know the documentary is completely biased, but damn, I thought enough money could get you a defense to get out of just about everything. Steve's defense team was awesome.

Did anyone else find Teresa's brother to be an absolute media whore? It seemed he was having press confrences as much as the lawyers by the end of the trial. I couldnt imagine doing that if my sister was murdered.

Also, people in rural Wisconsin sure are ugly.

Jerm 01-01-2016 11:06 AM

The brother and ex boyfriend totally gave me a creepy vibe...I think the ex knew more than he let on...

Lprechaun 01-01-2016 11:08 AM

What about the German man? Any DNA evidence on her car should have been tossed with the simple EDTA test being ineffective. Its pretty easy to consider that as SA worked at a salvage yard he may have had to check on a dead battery perhaps? or how about lack of fingerprints, did he remove the battery cables with his mouth? DNA easily planted, fingerprints not so much, none found.
Who doesnt occasionally want to open the door for a woman in just a towel, not saying TH was a hottie but a hell of a lot better looking than his women of choice.
If she truly requested to not be sent out to the property than her boss would be held accountable for damages to a degree in most states.
Never going after any other suspects? Ex boyfriend who erased phone messages? Had scratches on his hands? Was allowed on the property while it was off limits.
No on in their right mind can say that there was enough evidence to convict when all the shady stuff went down with law enforcement.
One thing I didnt ever see was were the bones truly hers? DNA proof it was her? How bad are the investigators when you scour a property and if you didnt plant it you MISSED ALL their damning evidence the first, what, 5 times?
The town didnt want them and in a small community like that the "ruling class" are just that.

stevieray 01-01-2016 11:22 AM

Through four episodes.

At this point, all I'll say is that the level of corruption is not only astounding, it's downright frightening.

BigRock 01-01-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 11987747)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 11987803)
Reddit......lol. Great source.

That can't be it. Given the way he was going on about people taking the documentary at face value, he must have looked into all those things that weren't covered and found factual reports to back them up.

Surely he didn't just read something and take it at face value. Surely!

Ceej 01-01-2016 11:58 AM

Great documentary.

I've recently moved to GB and when this thing occured it got so much publicity. It's roughly 40 mins from GB.

Kratz (sp?) and Kachenski are real pieces of work.

This documentary definitely gets your mind wondering how corrupt our court/law systems may be.

stevieray 01-01-2016 07:25 PM

No way Steve Avery committed this crime.

L.A. Chieffan 01-02-2016 01:28 AM

The amount of incompetence on all sides was astounding and I really think they had out for the Avery family. Having said that he could still very well be guilty. The nephew however I think is just severely mentally handicapped and probably didn't do anything

Ceej 01-02-2016 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 11990569)
The amount of incompetence on all sides was astounding and I really think they had out for the Avery family. Having said that he could still very well be guilty. The nephew however I think is just severely mentally handicapped and probably didn't do anything

He ate really well in prison too.

SAUTO 01-02-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 11990007)
No way Steve Avery committed this crime.

Oh he could have committed it, imo there's no way he should have been convicted of it...

MTG#10 01-02-2016 10:28 AM

According to that creep prosecutor Kratz, the documentary left out things like Avery requesting Teresa personally to come take the photos, calling her three times the day of the disappearance blocking his number using *67 twice, and her already being creeped out by him for answering the door on a previous visit wearing only a towel. Also supposedly there was DNA from Avery (not blood) under the hood of her Toyota.

While none of this is enough to convict him, if true its pretty hard to believe he didn't murder her. Even so, I still think Lenk and that other shady bastard planted evidence to ensure his conviction and the prosecution did not provide enough credible evidence to convict.

I dont know what to think about Dassey, one part of me believes that he was just a dumbass that was manipulated by the detectives' suggestive questioning but another part of me finds it difficult to believe anyone would make up that much horrific detail.

GloucesterChief 01-02-2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 11990774)

I dont know what to think about Dassey, one part of me believes that he was just a dumbass that was manipulated by the detectives' suggestive questioning but another part of me finds it difficult to believe anyone would make up that much horrific detail.

Kids and those with reeruned mental ability are much more prone to suggestion and leading questions than others. Even making up wholly fantastical stories that no serious person would ever think were true. See the satanic child abuse panic and West Memphis 3 cases.

Lprechaun 01-02-2016 10:53 AM

The book Dassey mentions, has anyone read it? if so then do those things actually happen in the book?

Ceej 01-02-2016 11:43 AM

"But Wrestlemania is on."

LMAO

Jerm 01-02-2016 10:25 PM

That press conference the prosecution had right before Avery's trial discussing Brendan's "confession" really ****ed Avery...they knew it would too and they knew those charges wouldn't stick and low and behold they were thrown out but the damage was done.

More I think about it...Brendan's brother and step dad are curious to me and their involvement. They both alibi only themselves and completely throw Avery/Dassey under the bus.

Swanman 01-03-2016 12:15 AM

I just finished binge watching and holy shit. Really good but I am pissed.

Anonymous is now on the case so who knows what could happen. I just read that one of the jurors in Avery's case had a son with the Manitowoc sheriff's dept. That's convenient.

This story was very similar to the West Memphis Three. Very little or no physical evidence, mentally challenged guy giving a coerced confession. It's scarily similar in many ways.

Buck 01-03-2016 08:27 AM

I'm on episode 4. I shouldn't have started watching this at 2 am. It's now 6:30.

I feel really bad for Brendan. He has nobody defending him. His lawyer is a POS.

Buck 01-03-2016 09:07 AM

Remind me to never go to Wisconsin

Swanman 01-03-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 11992510)
I'm on episode 4. I shouldn't have started watching this at 2 am. It's now 6:30.

I feel really bad for Brendan. He has nobody defending him. His lawyer is a POS.

Oh just wait. Not sure where you are but it gets more ridiculous.

The parallels between Brendan and Jesse Misskelley of the West Memphis Three are uncanny when looking at each of their "confessions"

Lprechaun 01-03-2016 11:00 AM

Does the police department look bad to you either way?
Either 1) They procured, planted and railroaded an innocent man OR
2) are so bad at initial investigative work that they miss evidence even after 5 or so times searching.

MTG#10 01-03-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 11992706)
Does the police department look bad to you either way?
Either 1) They procured, planted and railroaded an innocent man OR
2) are so bad at initial investigative work that they miss evidence even after 5 or so times searching.

Corrupt as hell. They didn't miss any evidence, they got frustrated that they couldn't find any so they planted some. I dont know if Avery is guilty or not but at the very least they planted evidence to ensure a guilty verdict.

Lprechaun 01-03-2016 11:56 AM

If you all havent spent a couple hours on reddit you are missing out on some great stuff!
One user brought up Brendan playing Playstation, if he was there would be a timestamp or checkpoint somewhere very close to when he was playing.

DaveNull 01-04-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 11992960)
If you all havent spent a couple hours on reddit you are missing out on some great stuff!
One user brought up Brendan playing Playstation, if he was there would be a timestamp or checkpoint somewhere very close to when he was playing.

It was a PS2 that he says he was playing so that's very doubtful, but game consoles have been used for stuff like this before.

Swanman 01-04-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11998259)
It was a PS2 that he says he was playing so that's very doubtful, but game consoles have been used for stuff like this before.

It would have to be on a ps2 memory card and they would have to prove that the console had the right time, so all in all it would be impossible to prove anything.

KCCHIEFS27 01-04-2016 12:15 PM

Kratz does an interview in which he presents some more sketchy evidence, as some have pointed to on here, but then finishes the interview by stating he resigned(was forced out) from his DA position in 2010 because of a sexting scandal in which he sent "suggestive" messages to a crime victim and blamed it on his problem of being addicted to prescription drug pills. Then states that it's unfair to question his character at the time of the 2005-2007 case.

Jerm 01-04-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

@SklarBrothers 13h13 hours ago
Ken Kratz's voice is so high, it just tried to sext battered women at Burning Man. #kenkratzsvoiceissohigh #makingamurderer
LOL

BWillie 01-04-2016 12:28 PM

I think it's somewhere between 20-40% that Steven Avery actually committed the murder. 0-5% Cops. 10-20% someone else in the community that knew Steven Avery would be an easy target. The rest and probably most likely scenario is someone else in his family. I think its about completely zero that the idiot kid Brendan Dassey did anything. I really feel bad for that kid. It's why you should NEVER talk to cops, especially when you have a sub 70 IQ.

100% though that the cops planted evidence, of some sort.

Skyy God 01-04-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCCHIEFS27 (Post 11998732)
Kratz does an interview in which he presents some more sketchy evidence, as some have pointed to on here, but then finishes the interview by stating he resigned(was forced out) from his DA position in 2010 because of a sexting scandal in which he sent "suggestive" messages to a crime victim and blamed it on his problem of being addicted to prescription drug pills. Then states that it's unfair to question his character at the time of the 2005-2007 case.

Kratz is a world-class POS. He argued against a victim's rape because he believed you can't rape someone standing up.

KCUnited 01-04-2016 12:48 PM

The brother who gave all the interviews is a comm director of some sort for the Packers.

My wife has an account in Manitowoc that she has to call on a couple times a year. She passed the account on to a new manager during a reorg after viewing the docuseries.

Swanman 01-04-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11998757)
I think it's somewhere between 20-40% that Steven Avery actually committed the murder. 0-5% Cops. 10-20% someone else in the community that knew Steven Avery would be an easy target. The rest and probably most likely scenario is someone else in his family. I think its about completely zero that the idiot kid Brendan Dassey did anything. I really feel bad for that kid. It's why you should NEVER talk to cops, especially when you have a sub 70 IQ.

100% though that the cops planted evidence, of some sort.

My main issue is that the prosecution's case was based on her murder happening either in the bedroom or the garage, yet not one single piece of her DNA in either place. Both of those places had junk piled everywhere so it would have been impossible to scrub/bleach both places and get every single item clean. And if the murder happened how they asserted, there would have been blood everywhere.

My money is on the ex-boyfriend or the brother. Both are sketchy as ****.

Lprechaun 01-04-2016 01:11 PM

My whole theory rests on where the officer was when he first called in the plates. He had the plate numbers for her car AND knew what kind of car even before she was reported missing, and way before they found the car in the yard.

alnorth 01-04-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 11989344)
That can't be it. Given the way he was going on about people taking the documentary at face value, he must have looked into all those things that weren't covered and found factual reports to back them up.

Surely he didn't just read something and take it at face value. Surely!

It was testified to at trial by her boss, no one really disputes that she said she was creeped out by him and didn't want to be with him again.

The documentary makers defended leaving out a lot of this other evidence by saying it would take too long to give every detail in the trial, and they felt by just giving the one or two most damning pieces of evidence against Avery, they did their job as documentarians. (I do not agree at all, sure they don't need to explain every small detail, but this is a rather huge part of the story, which they seemed to leave out because it hurts the narrative they were peddling.)

I agree with what others said, the cops in that area are corrupt, it probably didn't happen the way the prosecution theorized, but Avery probably did kill her.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-04-2016 02:28 PM

Some of the evidence given that was not in the series was not presented at trial, so I agree in leaving it out. The jury didn't hear it, so in documenting how the trial progressed it was a fair call.

The DNA on the hood is interesting. It didn't have to come from sweat, one could rub a sock or other piece of unlaundered clothing and transfer DNA. It is interesting to me that they didn't find any DNA traces elsewhere on the vehicle (battery cables, interior, etc.) which tends to make me think this too was planted post "confession".

I also have read of cases where cleaning was done and they could still find evidence or could find evidence of chemicals, neither was presented in this case from what I can find.

I tend to think that perhaps Bobby Dassey was the culprit, explaining the inconsistency in his timeline and story, and that Brendan may have been coached to implicate Stephen then got suckered in himself. They did find bone fragments and evidence in the burn barrel behind the Dassey home.

alnorth 01-04-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11999089)
Some of the evidence given that was not in the series was not presented at trial, so I agree in leaving it out. The jury didn't hear it, so in documenting how the trial progressed it was a fair call.

Quote:

"I guess I would ask Kratz what he would trade it for. We tried to choose what we thought was Kratz's strongest evidence pointing toward Steven's guilt, the things he talked about at his press conferences, the things that were really damning toward Steven. That's what we put in. The things I've heard listed as things we've left out seem much less convincing of guilt than Teresa's DNA on a bullet or her remains in his backyard."

"It was a nearly six-week-long trial, and it would just be impossible for us to include all of the less significant evidence," Ricciardi told The Wrap when asked why some evidence against Avery was excluded from the series.
They weren't saying "well they didn't use it in trial, so we didn't need to include it." They flat-out said it would basically be too hard to fully explain the DA's case that he argued in trial, so they just chose what they thought were the couple strongest bits of evidence to give the DA's side. Obviously they shouldn't be expected to just air 6 dry boring weeks of trial footage OJ-style, but they apparently omitted relevant evidence.

BWillie 01-04-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 11998849)
My whole theory rests on where the officer was when he first called in the plates. He had the plate numbers for her car AND knew what kind of car even before she was reported missing, and way before they found the car in the yard.

Yeah, it's pretty evident that Coburn and Lenz were the guys on cahoots with each other. Coburn found the car initially, Lenz planted the key. It's pretty clear they put the car and the key there. Less proof to show if they planted the body remnants but who is to say they didn't find the car with the body in it, and then burned it and placed the remanants on Averys burn pit?

I know that sounds like a stretch, but for god sakes the 1985 sample was tampered with. Not only had it been opened, there was a hole in the top that was the same says as a syringe needle

Urc Burry 01-04-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11998798)
The brother who gave all the interviews is a comm director of some sort for the Packers.

My wife has an account in Manitowoc that she has to call on a couple times a year. She passed the account on to a new manager during a reorg after viewing the docuseries.

Yeah, I saw this on Twitter
http://i64.tinypic.com/24vqx3m.jpg

BigRock 01-04-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11999055)
It was testified to at trial by her boss, no one really disputes that she said she was creeped out by him and didn't want to be with him again.

As best I can tell, it seems to be widely disputed. From what I've read, the only source for these claims are statements being made by the ex-prosecutor who had to resign in disgrace.

But I'm not following it nearly as closely as others. So if there's an actual factual report somewhere verifying that claim, I'd be interested in seeing it.

BWillie 01-04-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 11998801)
My main issue is that the prosecution's case was based on her murder happening either in the bedroom or the garage, yet not one single piece of her DNA in either place. Both of those places had junk piled everywhere so it would have been impossible to scrub/bleach both places and get every single item clean. And if the murder happened how they asserted, there would have been blood everywhere.

My money is on the ex-boyfriend or the brother. Both are sketchy as ****.

I didn't really get that sense at all. The brother seemed fine to me, but they didn't really expand upon them or provide any background about their personality or criminal history. Family members will routinely search for closure, regardless of the circumstances, and I'm sure they thought Steven Avery was 100% guilty. Grief clouds good judgement.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-04-2016 04:42 PM

Looks like the hood and battery info was actually the cops leading Dassey along too
FASSBENDER: OK, what else did he do, he did somethin' else, you need to tell us what he did, after the car is parked there. It's extremely important. (pause) Before you guys leave that car.
BRENDAN: That he left the gun in the car.
FASSBENDER: That's not what I'm thinkin' about. He did something to that car. He took the plates and he, I believe he did something else in that car. (pause).
BRENDAN: I don't know.
FASSBENDER:OK. Did he, did he, did he go and look at the engine, did he raise the hood at all or anything like that? To do something to that car?
BRENDAN: Yeah.
FASSBENDER: What was that? (pause)
WEIGERT: What did he do, Brendan?
WEIGERT: It's OK, what did he do?
FASSBENDER: What did he do under the hood, if what's what he did? (pause)
BRENDAN: I don't know what he did, but I know he went under.
FASSBENDER: He did raise the hood? (Brendan nods "yes") You remember that?

As for the *67 phone calls, Dean Strang in an interview said that Avery was pretty protective of his privacy and made it sound like Avery commonly used *67

Discuss Thrower 01-04-2016 09:27 PM

Enough people talked about the show that I had to tune in. I entered thinking Avery is guilty of the murder, but as of Ep 5's start I think the bumpkin got his ass framed by Manitowoc and Calumet county authorities.

Also, pair this series with Gone Girl and I'm really starting to rethink ever trusting another human being again.

Red Brooklyn 01-05-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11999481)
Looks like the hood and battery info was actually the cops leading Dassey along too
FASSBENDER: OK, what else did he do, he did somethin' else, you need to tell us what he did, after the car is parked there. It's extremely important. (pause) Before you guys leave that car.
BRENDAN: That he left the gun in the car.
FASSBENDER: That's not what I'm thinkin' about. He did something to that car. He took the plates and he, I believe he did something else in that car. (pause).
BRENDAN: I don't know.
FASSBENDER:OK. Did he, did he, did he go and look at the engine, did he raise the hood at all or anything like that? To do something to that car?
FASSBENDER: What was that? (pause)
WEIGERT: What did he do, Brendan?
WEIGERT: It's OK, what did he do?
FASSBENDER: What did he do under the hood, if what's what he did? (pause)
BRENDAN: I don't know what he did, but I know he went under.
FASSBENDER: He did raise the hood? (Brendan nods "yes") You remember that?

As for the *67 phone calls, Dean Strang in an interview said that Avery was pretty protective of his privacy and made it sound like Avery commonly used *67

Do you have a link to that transcript?

Skyy God 01-05-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 12001422)
Do you have a link to that transcript?

http://www.convolutedbrian.com/dasse...ons_links.html

KCUnited 01-05-2016 02:42 PM

http://www.today.com/popculture/maki...-system-t65161

Speaking on TODAY Tuesday, filmmakers Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos said a juror from Avery's 2005 murder case in Wisconsin reached out to them amid the frenzy over their hit series to say they believed Avery was framed by law enforcement.

But the juror never spoke up because he or she feared what might happen, the filmmaking duo said.

The Franchise 01-05-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12001701)
http://www.today.com/popculture/maki...-system-t65161

Speaking on TODAY Tuesday, filmmakers Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos said a juror from Avery's 2005 murder case in Wisconsin reached out to them amid the frenzy over their hit series to say they believed Avery was framed by law enforcement.

But the juror never spoke up because he or she feared what might happen, the filmmaking duo said.

Jurors are ****ing morons.

DMAC 01-05-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12001705)
Jurors are ****ing morons.

Even if the jury found him innocent, the judge wouldn't have seen how that is relevant and ruled guilty.

ToxSocks 01-05-2016 03:43 PM

I keep trying to get through this series with out reading this thread, but i haven't had time to finish the series and people won't stop talking about it.

My question is, if someone else parked the car there, wouldn't there be DNA evidence of THAT person.

If the body was burned somewhere else and then moved, where was it burned?

It certainly does feel like evidence was planted though. The tube of blood? Sheesh. But what about the lack of EDMA in the blood sample from the car? What incentive would the FBI have to frame Avery?

Granted im only on the 7th episode, but there's a lot of valid questions still.

ExtremeChief 01-05-2016 04:04 PM

On episode 4. This thing is crazy. Just doesn't make sense. Corruption and backward ****s.

CoMoChief 01-05-2016 04:07 PM

The makers of the film definitely had their agenda that's for sure.

Wanted to make it seem like the police and county once again ****ed Avery bigtime because they didn't want to pay out on that previous settlement.

Clearly not the case. He may not have raped that one woman back in the 80's, but the 2nd crime he did committ...and he's a weird sicko bastard regardless.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-05-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12001842)
I keep trying to get through this series with out reading this thread, but i haven't had time to finish the series and people won't stop talking about it.

My question is, if someone else parked the car there, wouldn't there be DNA evidence of THAT person.

If the body was burned somewhere else and then moved, where was it burned?

It certainly does feel like evidence was planted though. The tube of blood? Sheesh. But what about the lack of EDMA in the blood sample from the car? What incentive would the FBI have to frame Avery?

Granted im only on the 7th episode, but there's a lot of valid questions still.

If Avery parked it there, why wasn't there any of HIS DNA in the car?

Who knows where it was burned, but fragments were found in at least 3 locations (Avery's burn pit, a barrel behind the Dassey/Janda house, and the quarry).

The test used by the FBI (which had only ever been used once before in the OJ trial) didn't have any validation as to what limits it could detect EDTA. Say if there were 100ppm EDTA in a sample, if the test can't detect anything less than 500ppm it's useless. It will give a false negative. The FBI never developed (or at least admitted to) a tolerance. Also, EDTA degrades in the presence of UV light, so daylight would further degrade it. As to the FBI, as stated the test is defective, so they wouldn't need to intentionally do anything, though upholding public perception of law enforcement as trustworthy is paramount.

ToxSocks 01-05-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12001940)

The test used by the FBI (which had only ever been used once before in the OJ trial) didn't have any validation as to what limits it could detect EDTA. Say if there were 100ppm EDTA in a sample, if the test can't detect anything less than 500ppm it's useless. It will give a false negative. The FBI never developed (or at least admitted to) a tolerance. Also, EDTA degrades in the presence of UV light, so daylight would further degrade it. As to the FBI, as stated the test is defective, so they wouldn't need to intentionally do anything, though upholding public perception of law enforcement as trustworthy is paramount.

Was this something covered in the documentary, or is this from personal knowledge (EDTA)? Yeah, it's pretty sketchy no matter how you slice it.

DMAC 01-05-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 12001904)
The makers of the film definitely had their agenda that's for sure.

Wanted to make it seem like the police and county once again ****ed Avery bigtime because they didn't want to pay out on that previous settlement.

Clearly not the case. He may not have raped that one woman back in the 80's, but the 2nd crime he did committ...and he's a weird sicko bastard regardless.

Easy, or you're next once he gets out again.

stevieray 01-05-2016 05:14 PM

You've got a crusher and you just stash the car, coincidentally found by a woman 15 minutes in searching a 40 acre lot...with a camera provided by the ex boyfriend who somehow figured out her password....ex's and spouses are usually the guilty party, yet this guy was leading up the search.

This community wanted him found guilty, just like the first case, where the victim testified it was him, then 18 years later apologizes,,and Avery forgives her....after being locked up in an violent atmosphere, yet cause no problems during his "sentence".

Getting ready to get PAID, and then this? I don't think so. Common sense alone destroys this case.

Lenz and Colbach are dirty as the day is long. they knew who raped that girl. Back for another search when they arent even supposed to be involved and Lenz "finds" the key. Colbach knows the tag number beforehand and asks if Avery is in custody....

Dismissed juror said that there were people who had their mind made up already, and the jury caved..

Lprechaun 01-05-2016 05:52 PM

Radiolab has an interview with the lady who originally put him behind bars. Hearing her talk about how he reacted upon release to her tells me a lot about his character. While he is no saint, he isnt a murderer. Lack of physical evidence is astounding, obvious planting of evidence AFTER coercing Brendan into "confessing" where they might look for evidence.
I still think it was Bobby Dassey and his step dad.

ToxSocks 01-05-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 12002133)
Radiolab has an interview with the lady who originally put him behind bars. Hearing her talk about how he reacted upon release to her tells me a lot about his character. While he is no saint, he isnt a murderer. Lack of physical evidence is astounding, obvious planting of evidence AFTER coercing Brendan into "confessing" where they might look for evidence.
I still think it was Bobby Dassey and his step dad.

Bobby certainly gives off that murderer vibe.

ToxSocks 01-05-2016 06:08 PM

Copied and pasted from https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurd...happier_about/

Scott and Bobby all the way.
They were the ones selling the van she was there to take pictures of. They called her from Steves phone and left messages, coxing her to stay in or around the area. They deleted the voicemails of their voice claiming to be Steve, straight from her phone, did not need a password.

They stopped her when she was leaving the salvage yard. They raped her and beat her to near lifeless in the process. It was their intention, it was not chance, it was planned. They knew Steve would be the suspect. They were tired of Steves impact on their family, the attention, they wanted him gone again. They did something they were not strangers to doing, violating a woman, knowing they wouldn't be the suspects.

They drove her near lifeless body (they weren't looking for necrophiliac rape... They wanted her warm..) in her car to the quarry. It is possible they had already finished any plans of sexual assault and had beaten her to death at this point but she had not been shot. They shot her at the quarry, either to finish the job or for sport (they weren't lying when they said they went hunting) but it appears mostly sport based on the number of bullets they used (11? I think) They burned her, right where she was killed (shot) on the ground. They drove her car back and stashed it where it would quickly be found and attached to Steve, they didn't crush it, they wanted it attached to Steve. (The same location Colburn found it without warrant, called it in and then lead the search party to it -thru the brother and ex boyfriend but told them they had to have someone else find it... And give them a camera.) This is also when Colburn grabbed the key from the ignition to plant later. They had to destroy the body however due to the evidence of the rape and their DNA from that.

They grabbed the burn barrel from behind Scotts house and took it to the quarry, shoveled in the burned body and everything with it they could, even their own bloody clothes from the assault, the phone and her items. And burned it again.

Moved the barrel back to the junk yard from the quarry, dumped the remains in the rubble of Steves bonfire from the night before, moved the barrel back to its original location behind Scott's house where it was regularly used to burn things so it wasn't suspicious. They did not expect bones remained in the barrel or at the quarry. The wiped their hands clean and waited for the cops to say it was steve.

They solidified their alibis together and they began to try to sell the murder weapon to get rid of it.
Any evidence of their involvement was likely destroyed unintentionally during the investigation of Steve and can not be retrieved.
The cops didn't kill her, they just did every illegal thing they could to make sure Steve looked like he did. And everyone involved got promotions out of it.
That body was not burned on site, people would have gotten the stench. It was burned at the quarry.

Unanswered mysteries remain:
1) Disconnecting the battery of the RAV4. I can not come up with a reason for this from the suspects other than they burned her key fob and couldn't shut off the car alarm so they pulled the battery power. More likely to me though is Leek was worried about alarms or lights coming on in the car when he was messing with it planting blood so he unhooked the battery while he was in there opening and closing doors and he didn't want lights turning on and off. He forgot to reconnect it afterwards.
2) the plates -- I can not come up with a reason the plates would be removed, at all. The suspects would have left them on to make it easier to identify. Colburn saw the car with the plates on it. At some point between Colburn seeing it and the search party finding it, the plates were removed, bent, and thrown in a random car? I can not come up with a reason any party would remove plates. Even Avery himself. Maybe colburn to cover his tracks so that there was no way he saw a car with plates if the search party finds one without plates... But I don't give colburn or the cops enough credit for that thinking.

Avery would have incinerated the body in the incinerator available to him on site. Avery would have crushed the car in the car crusher available. Avery would have evidence of burned bleach bottles, by the dozen, in the burn pile and a history of buying them.. And let's just face it, Avery is not clever enough to clean up all evidence of blood on his property so quickly and perfectly and not even leave evidence of a cleaning. He didn't do it, it didn't happen at his house or garage. I firmly believe he was framed.

baitism 01-05-2016 11:42 PM

The documentary may be biased, but you are looking at real video footage, real documents, real court footage. All of those point to the investigation being an obvious sham. They were going to do whatever it took to pin this on Avery. Whether or not he did it is irrelevant. The evidence wouldn't support a conviction, so they manufactured it.

BWillie 01-06-2016 02:13 AM

Does anybody know more about the incident where Steven Avery "threw a cat on the fire"? Was he just messing around drunk with a bunch of people, or was it that he was mad, threw the cat in the fire to kill it? If it was the latter, it could help support he was a psychopath

RINGLEADER 01-06-2016 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 11986670)
Got sucked into it, ended up staying up til 4am. Fell asleep during episode 8, well done documentary. I had never heard of him.

Haha. This is literally me at this moment but only made it to episode 7. Will finish tomorrow but this is great on the same level as The Jinx.

frankotank 01-06-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11989243)
Just binged this with my wife. We loved it. I cannot say 100% that Steve didnt murder Teresa, but the investigation and the way the State proceeded in court makes me think there is no way he was convicted. The Prosecutor gave me a bad vibe from his first press conference. Turns out he was a complete scumbag. I am glad people are making his life hell. The kids first attorney as well.

I know the documentary is completely biased, but damn, I thought enough money could get you a defense to get out of just about everything. Steve's defense team was awesome.

Did anyone else find Teresa's brother to be an absolute media whore? It seemed he was having press confrences as much as the lawyers by the end of the trial. I couldnt imagine doing that if my sister was murdered.

Also, people in rural Wisconsin sure are ugly.

just finished this last night. from her brothers first appearance...and understand I did NOT know how this was going to end...I thought he was just so...the things he was saying...I thought HE might have killed her. his FIRST appearance on the show just after she went missing he was talking about "moving on". I was like....REALLY!

frankotank 01-06-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 11998849)

oh yes. THAT was very telling. and somehow it was just glossed over. did he EVER give a decent explanation for how it was that he called those plates in? not to my knowledge.

and the key appearing what....4 months after the first search....when Lenk was there....WHATEVER MAN! just ****ing WOW.

frankotank 01-06-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11999328)
I didn't really get that sense at all. The brother seemed fine to me, but they didn't really expand upon them or provide any background about their personality or criminal history. Family members will routinely search for closure, regardless of the circumstances, and I'm sure they thought Steven Avery was 100% guilty. Grief clouds good judgement.

the brother...he just acted kinda douchey. doesn't mean he's a killer, but I didn't like him and suspected him at first.

the ex-boyfriend is another thing. he deleted voice mails for crying out loud! doesn't mean he's a murderer...but it is certainly suspect behavior AND....who in the HELL know someone elses ****ing cell phone password. that's just BULLSHIT! I don't even know my wifes. but hey...they had their man...so why look at this guy!

KCCHIEFS27 01-06-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 12003147)
just finished this last night. from her brothers first appearance...and understand I did NOT know how this was going to end...I thought he was just so...the things he was saying...I thought HE might have killed her. his FIRST appearance on the show just after she went missing he was talking about "moving on". I was like....REALLY!

He needed resume fodder to earn him a permanent job within the Packers media relations department. So he hammed it up, for sure.

frankotank 01-06-2016 09:36 AM

So….we’re to believe that Avery is SOOOO ****ING STUPID that he killed her, parked her car on his property (there’s a crusher within about 100 FEET of where it was parked), left her key in his bedroom…and also…this is something I can’t believe wasn’t just beat to death…… mentioned….but as a defender I would have just beat this to death…. So I guess he burned the body over yonder and then transported 95% of the bones to his backyard fire pit! LOL REALLY! Because thinking logically about it, he would not have burned her body in his backyard fire pit and then transported only a handful of her remains over yonder. he would have tried to get them ALL out of his backyard. SHIRLEY we can all agree on that!

See my point. Like the dude on the stand said….typically when remains are moved….the spot where MOST of the remains are is where they were moved TO.

One more thing....amidst all of his incredible stupidity....he's smart enough to clean the murder area (whether that be the bedroom or the garage) so mutha humping thoroughly that they never found sheeeeit...oh...except for the key and the bullet that both had something in common....Lenk.

EDIT - I didn't know anything about Avery supposedly creeping the photographer out. so...is this factual or no?

Swanman 01-06-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 12003198)
So….we’re to believe that Avery is SOOOO ****ING STUPID that he killed her, parked her car on his property (there’s a crusher within about 100 FEET of where it was parked), left her key in his bedroom…and also…this is something I can’t believe wasn’t just beat to death…… mentioned….but as a defender I would have just beat this to death…. So I guess he burned the body over yonder and then transported 95% of the bones to his backyard fire pit! LOL REALLY! Because thinking logically about it, he would not have burned her body in his backyard fire pit and then transported only a handful of her remains over yonder. he would have tried to get them ALL out of his backyard. SHIRLEY we can all agree on that!

See my point. Like the dude on the stand said….typically when remains are moved….the spot where MOST of the remains are is where they were moved TO.

One more thing....amidst all of his incredible stupidity....he's smart enough to clean the murder area (whether that be the bedroom or the garage) so mutha humping thoroughly that they never found sheeeeit...oh...except for the key and the bullet that both had something in common....Lenk.

Cleaning the trailer and the garage would have caused a worldwide Clorox shortage because 1) there would have been a shitload of blood had it gone down like the prosecution alleged and 2) there were about 15,928 pieces of junk in the garage that would need to be sanitized. Avery is half a reerun so he probably couldn't even find bleach at the store, let alone sanitize the entire compound like a master criminal.