ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318222)

Shag 10-15-2018 05:28 PM

Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ense-is-great/

Quote:

Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed. They’ve yielded 2,809 yards, or 468.2 per game, and are on pace for 7,491 yards allowed over the full season. That would smash the record set by the 2012 Saints, the only team in history to give up more than 7,000 yards. No team that’s allowed even 6,600 yards in a season has ever finished with a winning record.

kcxiv 10-15-2018 05:30 PM

Worst defense i have ever seen in my 35plus years watching football. they are just bad.

FlaChief58 10-15-2018 05:31 PM

Well, can't have Mahomes be the only one setting new records

JoeyChuckles 10-15-2018 05:32 PM

Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ense-is-great/

Quote:

The Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday night in New England showed they have the second-most explosive offense in football. The most explosive one? Whomever they happen to be playing.

Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed. They’ve yielded 2,809 yards, or 468.2 per game, and are on pace for 7,491 yards allowed over the full season. That would smash the record set by the 2012 Saints, the only team in history to give up more than 7,000 yards. No team that’s allowed even 6,600 yards in a season has ever finished with a winning record.

For all their offensive firepower, the Chiefs have somehow gained nearly 300 fewer yards than opponents (2,511). They are more efficient in yards per play — but not by much. Their opponents’ 6.56 average gain is the seventh most through six games since the 1970 merger. But defenses in 2018 are struggling league-wide: Two clubs this year are actually worse in yards allowed per play than the Chiefs — the Buccaneers (who have played just five games) and the Raiders.

Yes, the Kansas City offense is so good that the Chiefs are still 5-1. They’ve already won two games this year when they gave up more than 500 yards, while every other team in the 500 Club since 2000 is 63-186-3. They have allowed at least five entire football fields worth of offense three times — putting them easily on pace to break the single-season record of five by the 1950 Colts. Only seven other teams ever gave up four 500-plus-yard games in a single season. Could any team that’s so seemingly helpless on defense overcome such profound weakness on that side of the ball? Or could their defense somehow improve?

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/...8379bec9bd.jpg

The stomach-turning numbers from the Chiefs’ defense can partially be explained by their offense. Patrick Mahomes and company have routinely jumped out to big leads, outscoring opponents by a league-leading 46 points in the first quarter. That has made opposing offenses play with urgency and desperation — two qualities that will generate yardage quickly in the NFL.
The good news for Andy Reid and the Chiefs is that every team that appears on the list above eventually got better. On average, they allowed 81.72 percent of their yardage per game for the remainder of the season. If the Chiefs enjoy a similar regression, they would allow 382.6 yards per game, which through Sunday of Week 6 would rank 23nd. That’s like being The Steel Curtain compared with where they are.

Kansas City doesn’t have to look far for an example of how to rebound on defense. The Patriots last year had allowed 2,644 yards (440.7 per game) at the same stage of the season — good for fifth worst since 1940 at the time. They improved that to 321.2 for the rest of the year and coasted to the Super Bowl. (Granted, that’s when they reverted to their prior form and lost 41-33 to the Eagles despite posting 613 yards of offense and never punting. The Pats’ defense gave up 5384 total yards.)

Or maybe Kansas City doesn’t even need to improve on defense. Mahomes is a big play waiting to happen, and the Chiefs have firepower everywhere on the field — from the backfield with Kareem Hunt, to middle of the field where Travis Kelce roams, to far downfield where Tyreek Hill hauls in Mahomes’s rockets. Plus defense seems optional this year, with the league on a record pace since 1950 in points, yards, yards per play and yards per pass play — and even yards per rush has never been higher. In other words, in 2018, NFL teams generally can’t stop anyone or anything.

Simply Red 10-15-2018 05:32 PM

YES!!

Halfcan 10-15-2018 05:33 PM

It is going to be great when Sutton retires in 10 years. Maybe we will get a good coordinator then.

smithandrew051 10-15-2018 05:36 PM

Historic paces are hard to maintain. As the schedule eases up a bit, I do expect some regression to the mean (regression being a good thing in this case).

That bad part about that is it will likely show a sign of improvement that isn’t actually there, which may secure Bob Sutton’s job for next year. The defense will then get exposed again in the playoffs, but Andy/Veach will point to the improvement throughout the year as a sign that he isn’t part of the problem.

The good thing this year is that we have the QB with elite weapons. If nothing else, we’re at least prepared offensively to win shootouts as long as we can play with a lead.

JoeyChuckles 10-15-2018 05:39 PM

If you ain't first, you're last.

DaFace 10-15-2018 05:40 PM

The hell is going on today with the reposts? This will be the fourth time I've had to merge them together.

Red Dawg 10-15-2018 05:41 PM

Sutton is just old and awful but injuries are killing us. We haven't been 100% all year and it not going to get better anytime soon. Cincy is walking in here and let's not kid ourselves. They have a good offense that will put it on our defense.

JoeyChuckles 10-15-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13820933)
The hell is going on today with the reposts? This will be the fourth time I've had to merge them together.

Maybe cause I was editing mine after I posted? I see he beat me by 4 minutes.

dannybcaitlyn 10-15-2018 05:59 PM

At least the Saints did the right thing and fired Spagnuolo after one year. Seems we’re stuck with Sutton unless the owner forces Reid’s hand. Reid Likes Sutton and Sutton has Brit Reid as d-line coach. So if Sutton goes the new coordinator would probably want his own position coaches and that demotes Britt back to water boy.

Rain Man 10-15-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13820933)

Is this statistically the worst set of posts ever?

Molitoth 10-15-2018 06:16 PM

/because chiefs

Randallflagg 10-15-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 13820907)
Worst defense i have ever seen in my 35plus years watching football. they are just bad.

Nearly 55 years for this guy. I agree, I’ve never seen anything quite like it. With a serviceable defense, this team would be unstoppable. As it stands, Reid’s only option (he isn’t going to send Sutton packing) is to try to simply outscore their opponent.

If he doesn’t can Sutton at the end of the season - I don’t know......

petegz28 10-15-2018 06:33 PM

Sutton can add that to his owning 2 of the 4 biggest leads blown in playoff games....

But it's not Sutton.....

htismaqe 10-15-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13821046)
Sutton can add that to his owning 2 of the 4 biggest leads blown in playoff games....

But it's not Sutton.....

Nobody has said it's not Sutton.

stevieray 10-15-2018 06:43 PM

With the new "rules", I think you'll see a spike across the board, if we haven't already.

...doesn't always equate to points. See Jax game.

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-15-2018 07:20 PM

I remember the William Bartee dayze!

TribalElder 10-15-2018 07:23 PM

BOB SUTTON SUCKS

Chief Roundup 10-15-2018 07:28 PM

It is maddening to watch at times but we are also top 5 in 3rd down and the red zone. Those two are far more important than yards.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-15-2018 09:32 PM

****ing horrible. G-Rob horrible. Gunther as a head coach horrible. Pioli managing a football franchise horrible. Listening to Herm talk football horrible. 10 additional years of Carl Petersen horrible. Dropping Derrick Thomas in to coverage horrible.
Horrible.

kcpasco 10-15-2018 09:37 PM

Herman wouldn’t tolerate this arena league crap. He would bench Mahomes for Henne and run Ware up the centers ass all game for 2 yard gains.

FloridaMan88 10-15-2018 09:39 PM

A bad combination of a terrible DC and defensive personnel that was seemingly hastily patched together right before the season began.

ChiefsFanatic 10-15-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13821048)
Nobody has said it's not Sutton.

I hate Sutton, but I did say that 2.5 of the playoff losses were not his fault. While the defense played a part in the Indy loss, the Pittsburgh and Tennessee losses were 100% Reid's fault for refusing to run the ball. All Reid had to do, especially in the Tennessee game, was run the ball. Last year we had the league's leading rusher, and an 18 second half lead.

What did Reid do? He gave said League Rushing Champion 5 effing carries in the second half. WITH AN 18 POINT LEAD.

So, I hate Sutton, and I think he is an absolute shit football coach, if Reid didn't get barbecue lodged in his arteries, cutting off oxygen to his brain, we win those two home games.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Eleazar 10-15-2018 09:53 PM

Q from last night.

RealSNR 10-15-2018 09:56 PM

I know this defense ALSO gives up a lot of points, but why the **** are basic defensive rankings based on yards and not points? I've always thought that was ****ing bullshit.

If your team doesn't give up points, isn't it doing its job? If your defense gives up 500 yards in a game to an opposing team, but they hold them at the goal line or get turnovers on each of those drives and hold them to zero points, isn't that the ****ing point of being a defense?

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-15-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13821575)
I know this defense ALSO gives up a lot of points, but why the **** are basic defensive rankings based on yards and not points? I've always thought that was ****ing bullshit.

If your team doesn't give up points, isn't it doing its job? If your defense gives up 500 yards in a game to an opposing team, but they hold them at the goal line or get turnovers on each of those drives and hold them to zero points, isn't that the ****ing point of being a defense?

One would think.

Why Not? 10-15-2018 10:29 PM

Relax y'all. Berry is day to day

Coach 10-15-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from in terms of yards and points. You're correct that if your team doesn't give up points, it is doing its job, but if you're giving up that many yardage, then that tells me that they're on the field way too long than they should be (depending on the circumstances) and not getting the ball back to the offense sooner than they should.

The Chiefs are 32nd in the NFL in giving up yardage, and if they were in the 15-20 range for points given up, they would be doing their jobs, thus, the definition of mediocre/below average. Unfortunately, that is not the case, because not only they're giving up a lot of yardage, they're also giving up points as well (they're 27th in the NFL in points given up).

loochy 10-16-2018 05:00 AM

BUT DURBURDURR THEY NOT THAT BAD DURRR DURRR
WHEN WE GET BERRY WE TRANSFORM AND BE THE BEST

/fans in denial

At this point, just cut everyone possible and replace them all with vet min scrap heap FAs and buy more O linemen and weapons for the O

Eleazar 10-16-2018 05:12 AM

They were almost as bad last year, and homers kept saying none of it mattered because they were middle of the pack in points due to turnovers.

Of course it does matter in the postseason, against teams that finish drives and don't hand you turnovers. You can fatten up all year on the bottom half of the league but it doesn't work in January.

Sutton will still have to be fired before the ardent homers will see that the problem is the personnel, and it's going to take a few years to fix.

InChiefsHeaven 10-16-2018 05:39 AM

While I agree that the defense is awful, what does that say about, say, the Patriots? They allowed a rookie (yes I know not exactly a rookie, but close enough) to put up 31 in their house and damn near pull out the win. I think this has a ton to do with many factors, Sutton being just one:

Sutton's scheme
The players are just not that good
Our offense scores quickly and often, makes opposing offenses have to get chunk plays to keep up. NOtice how early in games the defense seems to do at least OK, but once we've gone up a score or two they implode. Not all offenses can do that, but with today's rules leaning toward benefitting offenses, more and more can simply move the ball better. The NFL wants it that way.

Look a the vaunted Jags, "best defense in the NFL". They got raped 2 weeks in a row. I know the Cowboys are good, but they are not as good as the Chiefs, and they put up 40 on the Jags.

UK_Chief 10-16-2018 05:51 AM

Bend and occasionally break D

RealSNR 10-16-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13821648)
I understand where you're coming from in terms of yards and points. You're correct that if your team doesn't give up points, it is doing its job, but if you're giving up that many yardage, then that tells me that they're on the field way too long than they should be (depending on the circumstances) and not getting the ball back to the offense sooner than they should.

The Chiefs are 32nd in the NFL in giving up yardage, and if they were in the 15-20 range for points given up, they would be doing their jobs, thus, the definition of mediocre/below average. Unfortunately, that is not the case, because not only they're giving up a lot of yardage, they're also giving up points as well (they're 27th in the NFL in points given up).

It's not good to give up lots of yards. I'm not saying that doesn't matter.

But what's more important? And if you're the NFL, why use yards over points? Because not only do points also matter, I think they're MORE important of a metric when evaluating total team defense.

loochy 10-16-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 13821761)
Bend and occasionally break D

bend all the way into the end zone
Posted via Mobile Device

saphojunkie 10-16-2018 09:02 AM

The stat should be yards that end in points.

Naptown Chief 10-16-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13821632)
Relax y'all. Berry is day to day

Rep

gimmieshelter69rs 10-16-2018 09:27 AM

2011 pats allowed 6577yards went to sb

gimmieshelter69rs 10-16-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13821763)

But what's more important? And if you're the NFL, why use yards over points? Because not only do points also matter, I think they're MORE important of a metric when evaluating total team defense.

ppg is the only stat that matters

WhiteWhale 10-16-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmieshelter69rs (Post 13822076)

The chiefs have allowed 172 points in 6 games.

Geezus, it's not like KC is 10th in points allowed. They're 27th allowing almost 29 points per game. That's atrocious.

Strongside 10-16-2018 09:35 AM

This defense is an all-time great at sucking.

loochy 10-16-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

They're shitty at that too. Stop making excuses you homer.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobbything 10-16-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 13820907)

But I keep being told by people here that this isn't anywhere near as bad as the 2003 defense, despite practically every metric pointing to the contrary.

DRM08 10-16-2018 09:40 AM

Dumpster fire defense. Unfortunately I don’t see how they can fix it very quickly. Will take several years to build it.

bobbything 10-16-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

We allow 30 ppg. That's good, right?

mlyonsd 10-16-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 13822116)
We allow 30 ppg. That's good, right?

It is when we have Mahomes /homers

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-16-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13821747)
WHEN WE GET BERRY WE TRANSFORM AND BE THE BEST

/fans in denial

At this point, just cut everyone possible and replace them all with vet min scrap heap FAs and buy more O linemen and weapons for the O

LMAO So true.

If I recall correctly, Sutton's most productive defenses as a Chief were 2013-2014. That would be the same period where we had Poe AND Howard along with a still serviceable Hali and DJ.
That should be enough for any D coach to work with, along with a few other players that I neglect to remember/ mention.
And yet there was nothing particularly special about those units, nothing that really stays in my memory. Certainly nothing to warrant keeping Sutton over investigating some other possibilities.
At this point I would not want Sutton overseeing a rebuild in ANY form or capacity. And I sure as **** don't want to have to rely on 50+ points a game to win against good teams either.
Nobody wants to admit that this defense has become G-Rob II much less admit that it is headed to being even worse than that. Our supposed "backbone" in Berry/Houston has been in traction to the point where no identifiable leadership can be seen from anyone on that squad, and my interest level in their output could best be described as "sitting on the pot reading National Geographic".

RealSNR 10-16-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 13822092)
The chiefs have allowed 172 points in 6 games.

Geezus, it's not like KC is 10th in points allowed. They're 27th allowing almost 29 points per game. That's atrocious.

That has nothing to do with the yards/points metric for defensive rankings.

I’m saying yards aren’t the best measure. Period.

bricks 10-16-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

This is a good example in how yards allowed can cloud ones perspective in terms of overlooking the other important things done on defense like getting turnovers and preventing points in critical situations like you said.

Stats are smoke in mirrors at times bud. They don’t tell the whole story. I think its important to pay attention to both stats and the intricacies of the game. Those are the true tell tale signs of performance.

Chief Pagan 10-16-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 13822103)
But I keep being told by people here that this isn't anywhere near as bad as the 2003 defense, despite practically every metric pointing to the contrary.

The defense last night forced a punt. They got a strip sack. They got a turnover on downs and they forced 4 field goal tries, not counting the final one.

That is way ahead of the 2003 KC no-punt playoff game vs Indy.

When the current defense has a game where they allow a TD on every possession, get back to me.

JoeyChuckles 10-16-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 13823038)
... they forced 4 field goal tries, not counting the final one.

Any reason specifically that last field goal doesn't count?

Coach 10-16-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13821763)

I'm more into the points metric, but I should still take the yards into consideration.

Again, this is just a hypothetical scenario, but if the Chiefs were in the top 10 on yards allowed but 27th in points allowed, what does that usually tell you?

Coach 10-16-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

The defense last night forced a punt. They got a strip sack. They got a turnover on downs and they forced 4 field goal tries, not counting the final one.

When the current defense has a game where they allow a TD on every possession, get back to me.

I must had missed the part where they forced a punt. I know they got turnovers and forced turnover on downs. But I don't recall ever seeing them forcing a punt.....

htismaqe 10-16-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13823188)
I'm more into the points metric, but I should still take the yards into consideration.

Again, this is just a hypothetical scenario, but if the Chiefs were in the top 10 on yards allowed but 27th in points allowed, what does that usually tell you?

That the offense is terrible and/or turnover prone?

Coach 10-16-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13823227)
That the offense is terrible and/or turnover prone?

Correct, that's how I read it. My point is, I take the points metric over the yards, but I still have to consider the yards though.

That being said, the Chiefs are giving up too many yards to my liking. It just looks worse because of the fact that they are not getting much turnovers, compared to 2003. And unless they play Blake Bortles or a trash QB from the AFC South, turnovers are not going to come by in the playoffs.

htismaqe 10-16-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13823254)
Correct, that's how I read it. My point is, I take the points metric over the yards, but I still have to consider the yards though.

That being said, the Chiefs are giving up too many yards to my liking. It just looks worse because of the fact that they are not getting much turnovers, compared to 2003. And unless they play Blake Bortles or a trash QB from the AFC South, turnovers are not going to come by in the playoffs.

Yeah, I posted it yesterday.

The 2003 Chiefs, as bad as they were, forced 37 TOs, including 25 INTs.

This defense is on pace for 24 TOs, including only 16 INTs. That's unbelievably bad considering what Bortles' 4 INTs does to the extrapolation. They have TWO INTs in 5 games.

dj56dt58 10-16-2018 06:19 PM

It's Ok guys..Sutton's got this. He just needs about 4 All pros to come in from somewhere

htismaqe 10-16-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 13823273)
It's Ok guys..Sutton's got this. He just needs about 4 All pros to come in from somewhere

Berry's coming back, so there's one!

FlaChief58 10-16-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13823275)
Berry's coming back, so there's one!

Why would he come back and punish his body when he can collect the same amount of cash being a cheerleader?

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-16-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13823275)
Berry's coming back, so there's one modeling his Sean John hoodie on the sideline this week!

#benchridahs

Baby Lee 10-16-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13822441)

Lemme guess

Spoiler!

htismaqe 10-16-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claysexual (Post 13823288)
#benchridahs

ROFL

Coach 10-16-2018 07:12 PM

Some of y'all are putting a lot of eggs in this "Berry's coming back" basket. Well, I can't see him performing at a high level considering that he hasn't played since 2017, and haven't really participated in much training camp and games.

RunKC 10-16-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13822441)

Especially considering the context. 31-12, 35-10 and 30-7.

There’s a shit load of garbage time yards that don’t matter.

Rausch 10-16-2018 07:24 PM

Here is where I'd normally say it's pts given up that matters.

Because it is.

We are also ****ing disgusting as far as pts allowed.

htismaqe 10-16-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13823336)
Some of y'all are putting a lot of eggs in this "Berry's coming back" basket. Well, I can't see him performing at a high level considering that he hasn't played since 2017, and haven't really participated in much training camp and games.

Egg-zackly.

There's no way he plays at a high level this year, if he plays at all.

IowaHawkeyeChief 10-16-2018 07:31 PM

The Eagles gave up 600 in the SuperBowl and won... It's a different era, not that a better defense would make it more likely and would be nice to have...

SuperBowl4 10-16-2018 07:34 PM

Everything will be better when Sorenson gets back

gold_and_red 10-16-2018 07:38 PM

Only with this defense do I get the feeling that every time the ball is snapped it is a minimum 5 yard gain! Curious to see how many negative and zero yard plays we have in relation to the rest of the league (excluding sacks).

Beef Supreme 10-16-2018 07:39 PM

Any random kid at Guitar Center could play better defense.

Best22 10-16-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 13823362)
The Eagles gave up 600 in the SuperBowl and won... It's a different era, not that a better defense would make it more likely and would be nice to have...

If we had the 2017 Eagles defense we'd probably go 15-1 if not better...

htismaqe 10-16-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 13823362)

The Eagles gave up just over 300 yards per game for the entire 2017 season. The Super Bowl was an aberration, not the norm.

SuperBowl4 10-17-2018 08:26 AM

The offense has to go for it always on fourth down with this defense. No more punts or field goals.

MVChiefFan 10-17-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13823368)
Everything will be better when Sorenson gets back

The sad thing is, I was so ready for O’Daniel to unseat him. Now I’m actually looking forward to him coming back. This is so depressing.

MMXcalibur 10-17-2018 09:03 AM

What’s incredibly sad is that Reid thinks this defense could be even WORSE if we kicked Sutton to the curb. That’s the only explanation I can find in why he still has a job here.

Between the MULTIPLE playoff collapses, the years worth of shitty defense, and now the HISTORICALLY bad defense out there this season.....

...HOW DOES THIS GUY STILL HAVE A JOB?!?

SuperBowl4 10-17-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 13824023)
What’s incredibly sad is that Reid thinks this defense could be even WORSE if we kicked Sutton to the curb. That’s the only explanation I can find in why he still has a job here.

Between the MULTIPLE playoff collapses, the years worth of shitty defense, and now the HISTORICALLY bad defense out there this season.....

...HOW DOES THIS GUY STILL HAVE A JOB?!?

SUTTON has a job because the offense is AWESOME!!! The only problem I see with the offense is them settling for field goals instead of just going for touchdowns. With a defense as bad as SUTTONS Andy and Eric just have to go for it on fourth downs regardless of where the ball is except for inside our own 40

htismaqe 10-17-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 13824023)

Here's the problem.

The defense hasn't been bad for "years". It's been really bad for 1 year.

Sutton was gifted Houston, Berry, and Poe and the defense carried the team for the better part of 4 seasons.

Andy and Veach are looking at it much the same way I and many others did - when Bob had great personnel, the defense was very good. The openly said in the offseason that Bob wasn't the problem, it was the players. The players are still bad so they aren't going to blame Bob.

Nevermind the fact that part of the reason the players are bad right now is BECAUSE of Sutton.

bobbything 10-17-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

First, the defense did not force a punt. Second, as I've mentioned in numerous other threads, the only thing people tend to point to is that ONE GAME in the playoffs. Yes, it was an abortion and historically bad, but that defense, as a whole, was nowhere near as bad as this defense. Go back and look at the numbers.

Edit: If people want to point to points given up vs. yards given up, that is essentially what this year's team should shoot for. 19th and 29th, respectively, with 37 turnovers 2003. That's the ceiling for this team. In fact, last year's defense was closer to 2003 than this year's defense is.

ChiTown 10-17-2018 10:59 AM

Our Defensive personnel is shit, but Bob Sutton accentuates the shit we see on the field. It's beyond ****ing ridiculous that this fool still has a job at 1 Arrowhead Drive.