ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Travel Agency (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323749)

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 01:10 PM

Travel Agency

The wife and I are looking for a travel agent. Someone we can meet with in person and lay out our basic vacation plans. Don't want any internet or telephone kinda thing. A real life warm body to talk with. Somebody in the KC/ Columbia/ Kirksville triangle. Any recommendations? Use these guys/don't use these guys, etc. etc.

Appreciate any advice/recommendations.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-07-2019 01:52 PM

Well thats gonna be expensive!

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 14337268)
Well thats gonna be expensive!

Yea, we have already figured that much out :D

MahiMike 07-07-2019 02:34 PM

Used to be all the rage...and then the internet came along...

Jewish Rabbi 07-07-2019 02:38 PM

Why pay someone to do this for you? Very serious question.

Coochie liquor 07-07-2019 02:45 PM

I think in my limited dealings with making travel plans it’s significantly cheaper to book it yourself.

TribalElder 07-07-2019 02:53 PM

https://cdn.sdcexec.com/files/base/a...93dcb19a87.jpg

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 14337317)
Why pay someone to do this for you? Very serious question.

We both work full time jobs. We just don't want to put the legwork into the planning. Just want to vacation. We want to walk into a place and lay it on the table. We want to leave KC on x. Want to do y and z and return to KC on w. We just want to enjoy the vacation. Not sweat the details.

mr. tegu 07-07-2019 03:36 PM

Travel Agency

Where are you wanting to go? I can certainly understand certain locations lending themselves to needing this more than others.

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 14337379)
Where are you wanting to go? I can certainly understand certain locations lending themselves to needing this more than others.

We are going to Japan. And I am wanting to squeeze in a stop at Pearl Harbor on the way. Time is the issue, we only have 2 weeks of vacation at work.

Yea, I know it's much cheaper to do it all ourselves, but we just want to enjoy the vacation. Just thought I would ask if anybody here had any recommendations :thumb:

BWillie 07-07-2019 04:03 PM

People still make a living being travel agents?

Discuss Thrower 07-07-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14337408)
People still make a living being travel agents?

For clients who need a little more than a flight from Tulsa to San Juan to board their all inclusive Carnival cruise: yes.

cooper barrett 07-07-2019 04:18 PM

Buy an AAA membership and you get their travel agency for free. You don't have to be a member to buy flights but a trip like this it would be required. They beat the internet every time and internet seats never get upgraded.

Just call any location and they will give you the down low. For what you are doing you may need to drive to them but they are worth it.

I have been using them for 25 years.

FlaChief58 07-07-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 14337370)
We both work full time jobs. We just don't want to put the legwork into the planning. Just want to vacation. We want to walk into a place and lay it on the table. We want to leave KC on x. Want to do y and z and return to KC on w. We just want to enjoy the vacation. Not sweat the details.

I get it I guess, but putting together the vacation is part of the fun. Once you decide on the location, picking out things to do together lends itself to the perfect vacation. To each their own though. Good luck

cooper barrett 07-07-2019 04:30 PM

You are so 90's

Quote:

Big Bang Theory star Kaley Cuoco has a new role to master: She's now William Shatner's secret daughter in the Priceline Negotiator ads.

Meet the new illegitimate Priceline strong arm.

https://skift.com/wp-content/uploads...f4d6b10605.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/20/51...cf935dd523.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 14337335)

If you gave "Shatner" orange hair.......ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

mcknzAlex 07-07-2019 06:35 PM

Will it be better if you book your own flight then make your own itinerary. I find it cheaper that way. You can check Klook for some vouchers and Airbnb for accommodation if you are not a fan of the hotel.

GloryDayz 07-07-2019 06:43 PM

My neighbors use these people. They seem happy with them.

https://www.adelmantravel.com/vacations/

Halfcan 07-07-2019 06:56 PM

Message sent.

cooper barrett 07-07-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14337540)
My neighbors use these people. They seem happy with them.

https://www.adelmantravel.com/vacations/

We used them before. Interesting that the are based in MN and have 4 of 8 locations in MO. (3 in Mo One in OP)

GloryDayz 07-07-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 14337575)
We used them before. Interesting that the are based in MN and have 4 of 8 locations in MO. (3 in Mo One in OP)

I do the online thing for [personal vacations, but business travel is done by an agency.

And yes, by the time you're done comparing sites like bookit, expedia, and travelocity, it can be frustrating. And with all the diving we do, looking for get that all that booked adds a layer of complexity.

Hell, adding 50 dives (25 each for my son and me) to the last vacation really added some challenge (and opportunity) to the whole deal. For that part I just took it slow and played the dive operators off of each other.

sd4chiefs 07-07-2019 08:08 PM

The Tripit app is great for keeping track of your flights and hotel reservations. It will also do other things like sending you alerts if your flight has been delayed.

DaFace 07-07-2019 08:11 PM

Travel agents are probably far fewer in number these days, but they still serve a purpose. I wouldn't use one to book a random plane ticket or anything, but if you want someone to put together a complicated trip for you with multiple stops and modes of transportation, it can be a comfort to know someone who knows what they're doing is making sure you don't screw something up.

GloryDayz 07-07-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 14337614)
The Tripit app is great for keeping track of your flights and hotel reservations. It will also do other things like sending you alerts if your flight has been delayed.

I thought Tripit all but went away, I used to use that App endlessly. I use Flightview Elite now that Tripit.

GloryDayz 07-07-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14337618)
Travel agents are probably far fewer in number these days, but they still serve a purpose. I wouldn't use one to book a random plane ticket or anything, but if you want someone to put together a complicated trip for you with multiple stops and modes of transportation, it can be a comfort to know someone who knows what they're doing is making sure you don't screw something up.

Very true.

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Like most in this thread, we have traveled most all our adult lives. Always doing the planning/scheduling ourselves trying to save a buck. Then 2 years ago, we took a trip and the wife said f-it, we are using a travel agency. I was like most, that costs money!!

When it was all said and done, we were BOTH tickled pink. No hassle, no headache. We have kinda chuckled about it every since. Why haven't we been doing it this way all along?

I don't suspect we would use one for a trip to Chicago or Denver or anything, but this is a little more than we want to take on. If we need something to frustrate us, we can just go to work. They pay us to tick us off :)

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14337556)
Message sent.

Responded. Thanks.

GloryDayz 07-07-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 14337647)
Like most in this thread, we have traveled most all our adult lives. Always doing the planning/scheduling ourselves trying to save a buck. Then 2 years ago, we took a trip and the wife said f-it, we are using a travel agency. I was like most, that costs money!!

When it was all said and done, we were BOTH tickled pink. No hassle, no headache. We have kinda chuckled about it every since. Why haven't we been doing it this way all along?

I don't suspect we would use one for a trip to Chicago or Denver or anything, but this is a little more than we want to take on. If we need something to frustrate us, we can just go to work. They pay us to tick us off :)

I know for diving Caradonna knows their stuff, but for trip to Cozumel they didn't save anything. But I totally get what you're saying.

cooper barrett 07-07-2019 09:17 PM

And a hotel room that makes your wife want to peel the clothes off and get down to business over and over. My favorite suites seem to have Murphy beds in them...travel reservations for me come with Fri, Sat nights covered as far as dinner and a club table if we want one. I hate being treated like cattle when traveling.

Quote:

Chiefshrink 07-07-2019 09:22 PM

So somehow you believe by dealing with a warm body in front of you, this will make you and your wife feel more secure making sure the trip is a success ??

Abba-Dabba 07-07-2019 09:36 PM

I would've recommended Dupont Circle Travel. I hear Philip will work all night to help his clients. But they have seemed to disappear.

Flying High D 07-07-2019 10:00 PM

Your company doesn’t have a travel agency they use, that you can use? Like Carlson Wagonlit?

Over Yonder 07-07-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 14337755)
Your company doesn’t have a travel agency they use, that you can use? Like Carlson Wagonlit?

Heh. I never thought of that. They probably do. I need to talk to the wife tomorrow and ask her. Thanks :thumb:

scho63 07-08-2019 07:07 AM

Travel Agents serve one purpose IMHO-booking tours, either a set tour or custom.

95% of all other travel items can be handled by people.

GloryDayz 07-08-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14337872)
Travel Agents serve one purpose IMHO-booking tours, either a set tour or custom.

95% of all other travel items can be handled by people.

Meh, for some it's not worth it. There's plenty to debate about money saved or money spent, but unless you're going to a place where it's a no-brainer (an all-inclusive on Cozumel where all you're there to do is dive), then it might be nice to let somebody do the leg work to setup your dream vacation to a place you don't already know. Plus, I have to think that these people might have ideas that you might not have thought of.

GloryDayz the optimist...

Rasputin 07-08-2019 07:32 AM

Pay me $500 and I'll tell you where I think you should travel

GloryDayz 07-08-2019 08:12 AM

You could always hop a cargo ship. THAT WAS COOL AS HELL!!!!

cooper barrett 07-08-2019 07:45 PM

Unless they book you into "payback" digs

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14337885)
Meh, for some it's not worth it. There's plenty to debate about money saved or money spent, but unless you're going to a place where it's a no-brainer (an all-inclusive on Cozumel where all you're there to do is dive), then it might be nice to let somebody do the leg work to setup your dream vacation to a place you don't already know. Plus, I have to think that these people might have ideas that you might not have thought of.

GloryDayz the optimist...

BryanBusby 07-08-2019 10:47 PM

Make sure to stop by the black and white TV repair shop along the way

Over Yonder 07-08-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14339364)
Make sure to stop by the black and white TV repair shop along the way

I know this is intended as snark, and I can appreciate that. But we still actually have a TV repair shop here. They are pretty fancy because they can work on color sets too :thumb:

Out of curiosity, is their any particular reason you feel you need to belittle me about how I spend my money? I was simply asking for recommendations, not trying to preach to the crowd about how they should travel.

Did I word something incorrectly or come off as snarky with my question? If so, my humble apology :redface:

I've got an uncle that restores late 60's and early 70's Chevelles. Can you help me steer him down the path of the straight and narrow? How should I word it?

'If only cars had air bags and fuel injection' or maybe....

'Seems like cars these days should have a cassette AND cd player'

Just not sure how to word " Let me tell you how to spend your money" :hmmm:

(after the big gap, I got snarky :) )

BryanBusby 07-09-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 14339383)
I know this is intended as snark, and I can appreciate that. But we still actually have a TV repair shop here. They are pretty fancy because they can work on color sets too :thumb:

Out of curiosity, is their any particular reason you feel you need to belittle me about how I spend my money? I was simply asking for recommendations, not trying to preach to the crowd about how they should travel.

Did I word something incorrectly or come off as snarky with my question? If so, my humble apology :redface:

I've got an uncle that restores late 60's and early 70's Chevelles. Can you help me steer him down the path of the straight and narrow? How should I word it?

'If only cars had air bags and fuel injection' or maybe....

'Seems like cars these days should have a cassette AND cd player'

Just not sure how to word " Let me tell you how to spend your money" :hmmm:

(after the big gap, I got snarky :) )

You got way too triggered over an Internet post.

Over Yonder 07-09-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14339394)
You got way too triggered over an Internet post.

:)

Saulbadguy 07-09-2019 12:27 AM

You should go to AAA and get a map for every potential state you may visit. Then buy some travelers cheques.

BryanBusby 07-09-2019 12:31 AM

But to be serious, I think there are better ways to go about it.

If you just want to take a trip and not **** with the logistics, by all means just spend the money and let them do it. It's whatever. Sometimes I eat out and it really isn't the best use of money or probably the best food qualoty but sometimes just **** it because effort.

I generally like to make sure I get the most bang for my buck, which is where the Internet comes into play and I'd shy sway from using an agent. Lots of great ways to talk with locals to get a view that a travel agent in another state wouldn't have any idea about and I personally feel I'd be more involved about getting the most from my own trip than someone else would be.

It really depends how you want to slice the cake, I suppose. There's a pretty good agency in a stripmall by DQ in Raymore.

Saulbadguy 07-09-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14339400)
But to be serious, I think there are better ways to go about it.

If you just want to take a trip and not **** with the logistics, by all means just spend the money and let them do it. It's whatever. Sometimes I eat out and it really isn't the best use of money or probably the best food qualoty but sometimes just **** it because effort.

I generally like to make sure I get the most bang for my buck, which is where the Internet comes into play and I'd shy sway from using an agent. Lots of great ways to talk with locals to get a view that a travel agent in another state wouldn't have any idea about and I personally feel I'd be more involved about getting the most from my own trip than someone else would be.

It really depends how you want to slice the cake, I suppose. There's a pretty good agency in a stripmall by DQ in Raymore.

Typically booking direct and booking through a travel agency is a wash, but could depend on the desired activity - if they have a relationship with the places they are booking with, they will save a small amount of money vs booking direct.

Without being too snarky/elitist, my opinion would be:

Domestic travel - Do not bother.
Domestic-ish travel (Cruises, Mexico/Canada/etc) - Do not bother unless you are wanting to string together multiple "experiences" such as guided tours/timed events.
International Travel - Could be worth it, especially if visiting a country where English isn't widely spoken.

Bwana 07-09-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Exactly. I have only used a TA once in the last 25 years, (two years ago) but it was worth it. I normally search and book myself, but I had spent several hours trying to figure out how to get a fight back from Belize that would get me back in a day, without having to overnight someplace.

They charged $75 to handle all the details, but in that case it was worth it. I ended up having to use 3 different airlines and fly to some out of the way places, but I got back in a day. It beat having to waste an extra vacation day, to hang out in a hotel.

scho63 07-09-2019 07:53 AM

I've been to 36 countries and traveled at least 600,000 miles and I've used a travel agent TWICE in life since 1985:

1. In 1987 I took a 10 week vacation to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Barbados, Rio De Janiero and Cayman Islands. I used Liberty Travel located in a mall and my travel agent named Linda arranged everything. It was pretty complex with a lot of side tours and other things. Well worth it. She also booked some of my earlier air tickets before Al Gore invented the internet.

2. In March 2000 I snuck into Cuba for two weeks from Toronto Canada on Grupo Taca airlines and used a travel agent in Windsor, Ontario Canada to make all arrangements and give me pointers so I wouldn't get arrested. I also took the train from Windsor to Toronto to fly out. We had an office in Windsor back during the dotcom era.

Haven't needed one since.....

Pape 07-09-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 14337400)
We are going to Japan. And I am wanting to squeeze in a stop at Pearl Harbor on the way. Time is the issue, we only have 2 weeks of vacation at work.

Yea, I know it's much cheaper to do it all ourselves, but we just want to enjoy the vacation. Just thought I would ask if anybody here had any recommendations :thumb:

One tip for you... dont pay to extend your stop in hawaii... most airlines will let you have an extended layover... I myself did the same thing you want to do flying back from Palau ... took a three day layover in Hawaii on the way back... well worth it

GloryDayz 07-09-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 14339405)
Typically booking direct and booking through a travel agency is a wash, but could depend on the desired activity - if they have a relationship with the places they are booking with, they will save a small amount of money vs booking direct.

Domestic-ish travel (Cruises, Mexico/Canada/etc) - Do not bother unless you are wanting to string together multiple "experiences" such as guided tours/timed events.
International Travel - Could be worth it, especially if visiting a country where English isn't widely spoken.

Quality post, and I think the latter is exactly what the OP is attempting.

GloryDayz 07-09-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14339556)
I've been to 36 countries and traveled at least 600,000 miles and I've used a travel agent TWICE in life since 1985:

1. In 1987 I took a 10 week vacation to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Barbados, Rio De Janiero and Cayman Islands. I used Liberty Travel located in a mall and my travel agent named Linda arranged everything. It was pretty complex with a lot of side tours and other things. Well worth it. She also booked some of my earlier air tickets before Al Gore invented the internet.

2. In March 2000 I snuck into Cuba for two weeks from Toronto Canada on Grupo Taca airlines and used a travel agent in Windsor, Ontario Canada to make all arrangements and give me pointers so I wouldn't get arrested. I also took the train from Windsor to Toronto to fly out. We had an office in Windsor back during the dotcom era.

**** you!!!!! :D

Over Yonder 07-09-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 14339405)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14340389)
Quality post, and I think the latter is exactly what the OP is attempting.

Yep. Time is the biggest issue, but leaving the country is a serious thing we are thinking about, too. I would hate to end up rotting away in a Japanese prison because I wore a yellow shirt on a Tuesday or something. Of course, that's a joke, but the point is, different country, different customs and laws. Going through somebody that actually does this stuff for a living would be a big piece of mind issue. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14339474)
Exactly. I have only used a TA once in the last 25 years, (two years ago) but it was worth it. I normally search and book myself, but I had spent several hours trying to figure out how to get a fight back from Belize that would get me back in a day, without having to overnight someplace.

They charged $75 to handle all the details, but in that case it was worth it. I ended up having to use 3 different airlines and fly to some out of the way places, but I got back in a day. It beat having to waste an extra vacation day, to hang out in a hotel.

Biggest issue right here. I am burning most all the vacation time I will have left at the point we take this vacation. I did save back 3 days for "oh crap, something bad just happened" situations. But basically, want to consider myself wiped out of time off. If I end up in some screwed up situation where I have to use more time off work, I will be mucho unhappy :#

el borracho 07-10-2019 12:19 AM

FYI: there are two airports in Tokyo and they are not close to each other. Be sure you verify which one you are using.

GloryDayz 07-10-2019 06:27 AM

I just get Reerun_KC to fly me everywhere... At least until I can get my younger son to do the same...

cooper barrett 07-10-2019 06:42 PM

Share a plane with PMII and his parents.

cooper barrett 07-10-2019 06:44 PM

In 1988 you filed in US Bankruptcy court...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14339556)

Justify 08-10-2019 09:30 AM

Hi all!

GloryDayz 08-10-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justify (Post 14388139)
Hi all!

Well hi.

Kopinto 11-11-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olout (Post 14421264)
The travel agent has to get paid by you for their time or service ! There are so many travel sites which put together "trips" for travelers - these come at a cost to the traveler. You pay someone for their planning service. Personally, I enjoy the research and planning process too much to pass it off to someone else - and I'm too particular !

Actually agree. If you are going to visit a country for the first time it's better to ask a travel agent for help. But if you have been to the country for the umpteenth time teh it'd be reasonable to travel by your means ) imho.