ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Nikola Tesla (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291650)

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-31-2015 06:53 PM

Nikola Tesla

What an incredible story !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-31-2015 06:55 PM

Was watching "Ancient aliens" last night and they had his biography on there. did he have a connection ?

ChiefRocka 03-31-2015 06:58 PM

Is Musk our Tesla?

kysirsoze 03-31-2015 07:34 PM

Whoa! You guys heard of this George Washington dude?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington

Fish 03-31-2015 07:39 PM

Tesla was a genius out of his time. If you've never read this, you should do so:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Psyko Tek 03-31-2015 07:44 PM

fish, was just gonna look that up

gblowfish 03-31-2015 07:47 PM

Tesla was a serious bad ass. Badder than Edison by far.

Baby Lee 03-31-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11412968)
Tesla was a genius out of his time. If you've never read this, you should do so:

Embedding disabled by request

https://youtu.be/3gOR91oentQ

Fish 03-31-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11412980)

LMAO.... There's pineapple pieces.......

In love with a pigeon. This is a nightmare. I need help. I'm talking about Tesla in my puke.

WTF?

LMAO.................

Rausch 03-31-2015 08:04 PM

Tesla birthed the modern age.

There is no America as we know it without his understanding of energy...

Baby Lee 03-31-2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11412989)
LMAO.... There's pineapple pieces.......

In love with a pigeon. This is a nightmare. I need help. I'm talking about Tesla in my puke.

WTF?

LMAO.................

Have you never seen Drunk History? If not, I envy you. So much fun. Look for it at youtube, funnyordie and/or comedycentral.

Basically, they liquor up someone who is passionate about some aspect of history, usually a comedian who's a good story teller. Then when they're good and drunk, they record them telling the story. Then they call on actors and other celebs to re-enact the narration exactly, with all the mumbles and stumbles and asides of the drunken storyteller.

There's a good 15-20 pieces on F-or-D from before comedy central picked it up as a series, and then two seasons on comedy central.

Fish 03-31-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11413014)
Have you never seen Drunk History? If not, I envy you. So much fun. Look for it at youtube, funnyordie and/or comedycentral.

Basically, they liquor up someone who is passionate about some aspect of history, usually a comedian who's a good story teller. Then when they're good and drunk, they record them telling the story. Then they call on actors and other celebs to re-enact the narration exactly, with all the mumbles and stumble and asides of a drunken storyteller.

There's a good 15-20 pieces on F-or-D from before comedy central picked it up as a series, and then two seasons on comedy central.

LMAO... no... and I've been watching the resulting links ever since. Holy shit how could I have missed this? Thanks...

stevieray 03-31-2015 08:08 PM

Annual Q

Rausch 03-31-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 11413021)
Annual Q

It's about the only topic that deserves one these days...

Baby Lee 03-31-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11413020)
LMAO... no... and I've been watching the resulting links ever since. Holy shit how could I have missed this? Thanks...

A personal favorite is Superman infiltrates the KKK, because Jason Ritter is hilarious in the role of Superman. I'll let you find out why.

A preview

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gopZ2X4FUiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch 03-31-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11413014)

Basically, they liquor up someone who is passionate about some aspect of history, usually a comedian who's a good story teller. Then when they're good and drunk, they record them telling the story. Then they call on actors and other celebs to re-enact the narration exactly, with all the mumbles and stumbles and asides of the drunken storyteller.

Quit Rausch-ing this $3it up.

There's a learning opportunity here...

Baby Lee 03-31-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11413069)
Quit Rausch-ing this $3it up.

There's a learning opportunity here...

What do you have against history?

Rausch 03-31-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11413092)
What do you have against history?

He was, ONCE, quoted as saying he'd prefer to marry his pet bird over a woman.

Boom!

He's now a...birdman.

Baby Lee 03-31-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11413105)
He was, ONCE, quoted as saying he'd prefer to marry his pet bird over a woman.

Boom!

He's now a...birdman.

You can build 1000 bridges and never be called a bridge builder

but suck just one dick . . .

Rausch 03-31-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11413115)
You can build 1000 bridges and never be called a bridge builder

but suck just one dick . . .

In all seriousness he's a ****ing compulsion of mine. Everything out there I have to read.

And for the record I'm not an engineer of any sort but his leaps of logic baffle me.

He didn't tie a string to a kite and get shocked - he found more than one way to transmit energy up the lightning to the clouds and then throw it back down where he wanted it.

No, not literally, but he'd discovered much more of the natural universal laws of physics than anyone before him. And yes, the least of his accomplishments were beating Marconi to receiving radio waves...

alnorth 03-31-2015 09:45 PM

yeah, Tesla was one of the most incredible minds who ever lived, and he doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves because of that bastard Edison.

JakeLV 03-31-2015 09:47 PM

Tesla was robbed!

Gonzo 03-31-2015 10:34 PM

LOOK UP TOPSY THE ELEPHANT! LOOK IT UP!

ThaVirus 03-31-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

I've always loved that strip.

One can only imagine the outlandish shit he'd be cooking up in this era..

cosmo20002 04-01-2015 12:04 AM

You're guilty of crime in the first degree,
Second and third as well.
My jury finds you'll be serving your time
When you go straight to hell.

'Cause he was Lord of the Lightning,
Though "socially fright'ning",
But never out to sell.

Their nickels and pence
Meant more than did sense,
And not the sensible thing.

Nor did the man outta time, man outta time.
Thought you was crazy. You was one of a kind.
Man outta time, man outta time.
All along, world was wrong. You was right.

All that he saw, all he conceived,
They just could not believe.
Steinmetz and Twain were friends that remained,
Along with number three.

He was electromagnetic, completely kinetic,
"New Wizard of the West."
But they swindled and whined that he wasn't our kind,
And said Edison knew best.

He was the man outta time, man outta time.
Said you was outta your mind!

You took a shot and it did you in.
Edison's medicine.
You played your cards, but you couldn't win.
Edison's medicine.

I spent twelve years of hard time,
More like the best years of my life.
Never heard or read a single word
About "the man" and his "wicked mind."

They'll sell you on Marconi.
Familiar, but a phony.
Story goes they sold their souls
And swore that you'd never know...

About the man outta time, man outta time.
Swore you was outta your mind!

You took a shot and it did you in.
Edison's medicine.
You played your cards, but you couldn't win.
Edison's medicine.

eDave 04-01-2015 12:26 AM

How did I not know about Drunk History? LOL

Coochie liquor 04-01-2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11413029)
It's about the only topic that deserves one these days...

But what about Alex Smith??

And if I had to make a list of crappy 80s bands I liked..... Tesla would unfortunately be on that list!

Sully 04-01-2015 07:01 AM

Going to see Tesla with Def Leppard and Styx this summer.

Very excited.

Coochie liquor 04-01-2015 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11413354)
Going to see Tesla with Def Leppard and Styx this summer.

Very excited.

I'm actually going to my first non reggae concert in prob 5-6 years. It's Everclear, Fuel, American Hi-Fi, and The Toadies. And they're playing this little bar in Seminole Fl. Should be fun. And my wife wants to see the Def Lep, and Tesla concert.

NewChief 04-01-2015 08:03 AM

I think there's some kind of potential book out there involving Liebniz, Tesla, and Turing as sort of historical losers that have been "rediscovered" and turned into counterculture darlings.

Sorter 04-01-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11413223)
LOOK UP TOPSY THE ELEPHANT! LOOK IT UP!

LMAO

Baby Lee 09-27-2016 11:17 PM

Drunk History is BACK!!

Reerun_KC 09-27-2016 11:18 PM

More booze?

ClevelandBronco 09-27-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11413011)
Tesla birthed the modern age.

There is no America as we know it without his understanding of energy...

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out which ****head to blame.

Baby Lee 10-19-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12453763)
Drunk History is BACK!!

Could Katie Nolan have CRUSHED it any more last night?

And KC's own Rob Riggle as TR!!

<div style="padding:4px;width:640;height:360"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:cfcdb251-2723-49b2-94ae-35778e4a3b1f" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><p style="text-align: left; background-color: white; padding: 4px; margin-top: 4px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><b><a href="http://www.cc.com/shows/drunk-history">Drunk History</a></b></p></div></div>"><div style="background-color:#000000;width:648px;"><div style="padding:4px;width:640;height:360"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:cfcdb251-2723-49b2-94ae-35778e4a3b1f" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><p style="text-align: left; background-color: white; padding: 4px; margin-top: 4px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><b><a href="http://www.cc.com/shows/drunk-history">Drunk History</a></b></p></div></div>

Gonzo 10-19-2016 07:03 AM

LMAO
"Because we're young and dumb and nobody reads a goddamned book anymore."

Funny

Weapon X 10-19-2016 07:49 AM

I think its super weird that as brilliant as Tesla was, he was also a "Flat Earther"

Fish 10-19-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weapon X (Post 12492724)
I think its super weird that as brilliant as Tesla was, he was also a "Flat Earther"

Bullshit.

BWillie 10-19-2016 08:18 AM

Tesla was a ****ing c*nt. Ask Thomas Edison.

ThaVirus 10-19-2016 08:20 AM

"I put the word sport in. In case people didn't know!"

"They still might think it's soccer but we'll clear that up"

"**** them if that's what they think"

Fitting for the board.

ThaVirus 10-19-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12492774)

Edison was a ****ing ****. Ask Nikola Tesla.

BWillie 10-19-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12492779)
Edison was a ****ing ****. Ask Nikola Tesla.

Tesla also virtually stole tons of money from investors and didn't repay various loans as well. People that don't repay others are the lowest of scum IMO.

ThaVirus 10-19-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12492789)
Tesla also virtually stole tons of money from investors and didn't repay various loans as well. People that don't repay others are the lowest of scum IMO.

Kinda like how Edison didn't pay Tesla for his work on his generators?

Rausch 10-19-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

You've got that backwards...

WhiteWhale 10-19-2016 09:26 PM

Did it mention where he was pro-eugenics and thought people should require a license to breed?

I've noticed a lot of the crazy shit he believed is relatively overlooked.

Bash Edison, and ignore that alternating current is kinda important if you don't want your house to burn down.

Pitt Gorilla 10-19-2016 10:06 PM

PBS had a good documentary on Tesla last night.

Bob Dole 10-19-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 12494751)
Did it mention where he was pro-eugenics and thought people should require a license to breed?

So you agree he was a visionary?

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

U srs?

Can't tell if u r being thick or displaying a natural level of dumb in the 99 percentile.

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 11:00 PM

Quote:

I've noticed a lot of the crazy shit he believed is relatively overlooked.

Bash Edison, and ignore that alternating current is kinda important if you don't want your house to burn down.

While Edison fried elephants for public demonstration to try to win the Columbian Exposition contract drumming up electrocution fears.

Even though Edison's current technology would be impossible to roll out over any distance because it weakened so quickly once you got about a block away from the generator.

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 11:06 PM

Anyone interested, I recommend Wizard, a thorough biography of Tesla.

Indian Chief 10-19-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12492798)
Kinda like how Edison didn't pay Tesla for his work on his generators?

The relationship between Tesla and Edison has been so incredibly skewed because of ridiculous and mostly unsubstantiated internet garbage. Tesla was a genius but lacked business sense. Edison was a genius when it came to business. That does not mean that Edison took complete advantage of Tesla and ruined his life, like some stories would have you believe.

Maybe I simply have the advantage of living in NJ where we have access to firsthand historical documentation and correspondence between Edison and Tesla that highlights their relationship. I'm not even a "pro-Edison" guy, as he definitely could be a dick at times.

If you're a "I love Tesla, and **** Edison" person, just take a second and think about where your information is coming from. If it's from an internet blog, I'd do a little more research. Both men have incredible stories and did amazing things in their lifetimes that have a profound influence on our modern lives.

Anyong Bluth 10-19-2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12494872)
The relationship between Tesla and Edison has been so incredibly skewed because of ridiculous and mostly unsubstantiated internet garbage. Tesla was a genius but lacked business sense. Edison was a genius when it came to business. That does not mean that Edison took complete advantage of Tesla and ruined his life, like some stories would have you believe.

Maybe I simply have the advantage of living in NJ where we have access to firsthand historical documentation and correspondence between Edison and Tesla that highlights their relationship. I'm not even a "pro-Edison" guy, as he definitely could be a dick at times.

If you're a "I love Tesla, and **** Edison" person, just take a second and think about where your information is coming from. If it's from an internet blog, I'd do a little more research. Both men have incredible stories and did amazing things in their lifetimes that have a profound influence on our modern lives.

Edison was a cutthroat businessman. A genius also.

Tesla was his superior, and a terrible businessman.

Both flawed in their own right.

ThaVirus 10-20-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12494872)

I don't care about either of these guys to be honest.

But did Edison compensate Tesla for his work or not?

ThaVirus 10-20-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

I thought Tesla invented AC..?

Stryker 10-20-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

That was an awesome read. Thanks!

Great Expectations 10-20-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12495145)

That's because he did.

KranzDictum 10-20-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12494815)

I watched it with my Daughter. I love PBS's American Experience but it wasn't one of their better episodes, I think it was more because Tesla didn't do all that much past the AC Motor, I guess you could argue radio but he had the foundation not a working model of it.

Tesla is ranked justly in our society. He is the type of guy who needed a good manager who functioned in the role of music producer to keep him focused.

Super smart guy, just a little more nuts than most people...

ThaVirus 10-20-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12495910)
I watched it with my Daughter. I love PBS's American Experience but it wasn't one of their better episodes, I think it was more because Tesla didn't do all that much past the AC Motor, I guess you could argue radio but he had the foundation not a working model of it.

Tesla is ranked justly in our society. He is the type of guy who needed a good manager who functioned in the role of music producer to keep him focused.

Super smart guy, just a little more nuts than most people...

Sounds like he was hot on the trail of a shit ton of other scientific breakthroughs that weren't made until a half-century later, if not more.

But, yeah. Dude sounds batshit ****ing insane.

Indian Chief 10-20-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12495142)
I don't care about either of these guys to be honest.

But did Edison compensate Tesla for his work or not?

Tesla was on staff at the Edison lab and was paid for his work. Later in his life, Tesla claimed that he did work on Edison's generator and Edison did not pay him for it. There is no clear cut answer on what their agreement was. Edison may have stiffed him, or Tesla made it up. No one aside from those two men knows what actually happened in that case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12495145)

Tesla did not invent AC, and in fact he wasn't even the first person to work on it. He was one of the individuals that was instrumental in it's development however. Faraday, Pixxii, Westinghouse, and Ferraris are some of the other big names that contributed to its development.

Halfcan 10-21-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12494815)

Yes I watched it. What a crazy dude- can you imagine sending "invisible" messages through the air-to any point in the world? :D

Tried to build the first wireless tower. He was 100 years before his time. Could have been the richest person in history but gave up all his patents to Westinghouse. Who does that?

Pretty sad story all the way around. He was a man outta time...man outa time...

Anyong Bluth 10-21-2016 12:57 PM

His animosity with Edison was later in life primarily, but seeded with Edison publicly smearing and attacking AC because Edison had such a large financial stake and ego in DC.

Edison eventually lost even autonomy over his previous work to investors and a board of what would become GE.

Tesla had a bit more of an ongoing rivalry with Marconi even as a young man that continued for much of his career.

Westinghouse, bought much of Tesla's portfolio on the cheap- about the equivalent of a million dollars in today's money. While it was a ripoff compared to its actual worth, Westinghouse recognized and didn't interfere with letting Tesla invent or conduct his experimentation as he saw fit.

Tesla very much saw his work as an altruistic calling that was for the advancement and betterment of mankind. Not a shrewd businessman, and thought very little about money outside of needing funding to continue doing his work.