ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

Chris Meck 02-25-2024 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17417143)
NO ONE IS ARGUING FOR DRAFTING A WR IN THE SECOND ROUND AND CALLING IT GOOD.

I brought up the receivers the Chiefs have taken in the second round because you seem convinced the Chiefs suck at drafting them, when really this front office's record with Day 1-2 picks is no worse than average.

You can look at the consensus board from 2019 on NFL Mock Draft database. That board features the following players ranked ahead of Mecole Hardman:
N'Keal Harry
Hakeem Butler
J.J. Arceaga-Whiteside
Parris Campbell
Kelvin Harmon
Riley Ridley
Emmanuel Hall

The consensus pick who was available when the Chiefs took Hardman would have been Arcega-Whiteside or Parris Campbell. Clearly worse.

Run that against the consensus board on NFL MDD in 22, and Skyy Moore is a value pick for the Chiefs' draft slot. He was the top WR by that aggregate ranking when they drafted at 54 (Alec Pierce, John Metchie III, and Jalen Tolbert are the next 3, followed by Calvin Austin and David Bell). None of those change the quality of player KC got from the pick.

That was the point of bringing that up there. Anyway. On to the rest of your post.

Yes, they need to improve the depth of the weapons and take some of the load off of Travis Kelce.

That's why most people, including me and other guys you're arguing with, are in favor of signing a veteran WR who fits well as a FA and still drafting one on the first two days of the draft. While also expecting Rashee Rice to continue to be more of a focus as he enters his second year.

To overcome the way defenses slowed the offense down this year, the biggest key is going to be acquiring more receiving threats that have to be respected on the deep ball. Valdes-Scantling did not fill that role well during the regular season, and the offense suffered for it. I think the offense also missed Fortson in the 3 TE sets, since he was such a tough matchup and was still a downfield threat.

So yeah, they need to upgrade that spot. They need to upgrade the only spot. And yes, look to the future.

It's a good WR draft class. They can get a player who upgrades the Chiefs are WR2 or WR3 in 2024 with the potential to be better in the future. There are a lot of potential fits in the free agent pool, some that would require big investments, some that would require smaller ones.

KC has multiple ways to upgrade there, and doesn't have to rely on throwing every resource available at WR at the expense of everything else in the interest of obtaining an "alpha."

Logical analysis isn't going to work here, brother.

MahomesMagic 02-25-2024 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17417239)
Oh that's right you had all the confidence in the world in the Chiefs ability to win a SB with the WR group that they had!

We all just imagined the non-stop crying :rolleyes:

My argument was very easy for someone with an IQ above room temperature to understand.

That’s why this is so hard for you.

staylor26 02-25-2024 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417255)
My argument was very easy for someone with an IQ above room temperature to understand.

That’s why this is so hard for you.

You're a disingenuous bad faith shitbag.

The irony of you claiming that your argument is being misrepresented when that's literally all you do.

MahomesMagic 02-25-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17417256)
You're a disingenuous bad faith shitbag.

The irony of you claiming that your argument is being misrepresented when that's literally all you do.

I like it when you get mad over shit that’s over your head.

I said the roster was very good but that the WRs were a problem and we should add in FA or at the deadline or we would be cutting it close.

I also identified the Baltimore defense as a bad matchup that we needed better WRs for.

I absolutely nailed it.

Punwit 02-25-2024 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417152)
NFL Mock Draft database.

Hmmm. Interesting. I will have to dig into that to see who is included. That's an interesting exercise that I will probably take off the main board and post in the Draft Forum next month if I get bored.

To overcome the way defenses slowed the offense down this year, the biggest key is going to be acquiring more receiving threats that have to be respected on the deep ball.

You're preaching to the choir here. I called for this all of last year and many people told me I was crazy. Glad this is closer to CP consensus now.

I do agree we can get by without adding a very good prospect but again, I think the Chiefs should take this FA/offseason very seriously as a chance to not only get by but thrive past next year and into the future.

I just have to laugh at the not so subtle self-aggrandizement on display here.

RunKC 02-25-2024 07:34 PM

I'm fine with cutting MVS and replacing him with Mooney, bringing back most of the same depth guys and using a top 64 pick on one.

Rice
Mooney
Rookie
Hardman
Watson
Ross

If they keep 7 it will be the winner of Skyy, Remigio and other fringe guys in camp

Punwit 02-25-2024 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417269)

I said the roster was very good but that the WRs were a problem and we should add in FA or at the deadline or we would be cutting it close.

I also identified the Baltimore defense as a bad matchup that we needed better WRs for.

I absolutely nailed it.

Lmao

Dunerdr 02-25-2024 07:47 PM

This thread is much better with Mahomes magic on ignore and everyone just slamming some dude who can’t keep his argument straight, can’t define what he wants other than “alpha” and hates how we won our past two superbowls. ROFL

duncan_idaho 02-25-2024 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17417281)
I'm fine with cutting MVS and replacing him with Mooney, bringing back most of the same depth guys and using a top 64 pick on one.

Rice
Mooney
Rookie
Hardman
Watson
Ross

If they keep 7 it will be the winner of Skyy, Remigio and other fringe guys in camp

That’s not a sexy offseason, but it’s one that could work as long as the rook has skills and can be a contributor in year 1.

BossChief 02-25-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17417061)
Pat had the best season in the history of qb play last year.

He didn’t play as well this year, til the playoffs.

Him playing back to where we know he usually does cleans up a lot of the offense especially when it’s not Toney and moore outside

Yeah…but it would be nice to have a WR group that’s competent. These guys drop a few passes every game at crucial times, aren’t familiar with their responsibilities, and generally aren’t dependable outside of Rice.

This WR group needs a dependable veteran and another good rookie to improve to where Pat can put up another historical season while Kelce still has compression in all 8 cylinders.

Rice
Watson
Hardman
Draft pick
Lockett
Draft pick/Toney/Skyy competition for last spot.

BossChief 02-25-2024 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417269)

I absolutely nailed it.

It’s like you don’t even realize we won the last 2 superbowls.

R Clark 02-25-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 17417309)
Yeah…but it would be nice to have a WR group that’s competent. These guys drop a few passes every game at crucial times, aren’t familiar with their responsibilities, and generally aren’t dependable outside of Rice.

This WR group needs a dependable veteran and another good rookie to improve to where Pat can put up another historical season while Kelce still has compression in all 8 cylinders.

Rice
Watson
Hardman
Draft pick
Lockett
Draft pick/Toney/Skyy competition for last spot.

So what is Lockett going to cost?

Dunerdr 02-25-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 17417315)

He’s 100 years old hopefully the vet minimum

BossChief 02-25-2024 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 17417315)

He is likely to be released and I’m sure would love to end his career on a favorite. He won’t command big $ at his age, but is still a really good WR with a skill set that should translate to this offense flawlessly and compliments Rice nearly perfectly. He also went to college at Kansas State.

DRM08 02-25-2024 09:59 PM

Tyler Lockett is exactly the kind of guy we should want. He’s not too expensive. He runs proper routes, catches the damn ball instead of dropping it, and he has very good awareness on the field as we saw with his improvised plays with Russell Wilson.