ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

O.city 02-25-2024 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17417058)
I don't think you need Hall of Fame guys, but you need guys that run decent routes and catch the football. I would like to see them find more weapons to take pressure off Kelce, who should not be carrying so much on his shoulders at age 34-35.

Pat had the best season in the history of qb play last year.

He didn’t play as well this year, til the playoffs.

Him playing back to where we know he usually does cleans up a lot of the offense especially when it’s not Toney and moore outside

Chief Pagan 02-25-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17416859)
It's pretty crazy how we went from "still haven't replaced JuJu" in the middle of the season to us now needing Rice (who's clearly better) AND a guy that's even better than him just to even dream of having the best offense in the NFL.

In Veach we trust...,

But I'm figuring it's more likely than not that Jones is gone and KC is not going to be able to shut down playoff teams like they just did.

I'm not opposed to winning with D and Mahomes scrambling in the playoffs...

But given an aging Kelce and the likely loss of talent on D, beefing up the WR group seems like it might be the Moneyball approach.

staylor26 02-25-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17417063)
In Veach we trust...,

But I'm figuring it's more likely than not that Jones is gone and KC is not going to be able to shut down playoff teams like they just did.

I'm not opposed to winning with D and Mahomes scrambling in the playoffs...

But given an aging Kelce and the likely loss of talent on D, beefing up the WR group seems like it might be the Moneyball approach.

You need to go back and read everything if you think I'm arguing against "beefing up" the WR group.

I'm simply saying upgrading at WR2 and WR3 (MVS and Watson) is more realistic than upgrading at WR1 (Rice).

Chris Meck 02-25-2024 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17416969)
That's how you know his argument is terrible. He has to resort to pretending this is the case.

I've gone as far as to argue possibly taking a TE in Sanders in the 1st is he's BPA. I'm all for adding weapons at WR, TE, and RB. I'd probably draft all 3 positions. The offseason should be offense heavy.

Still not enough though!

And he thumbed down the quoted post, lol.

What a baby. Total wack job

Mooney, Rice, and a top 64 pick will be fine, and a big improvement over last season's group. I'd bring Mecole back and Watson can compete for the last slot with Moore and Ross.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-25-2024 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 17417047)
Why draft a Hardman, when you can just keep him. I think he learned the grass isn’t always greener. On a team friendly deal I’d love to keep his speed on the team.

Absolutely!

MahomesMagic 02-25-2024 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17417112)
And he thumbed down the quoted post, lol.

What a baby. Total wack job

Mooney, Rice, and a top 64 pick will be fine, and a big improvement over last season's group. I'd bring Mecole back and Watson can compete for the last slot with Moore and Ross.

Of course you would.

More Skyy Moore
More Watson
More Mecole

duncan_idaho 02-25-2024 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417029)
An interesting exercise would have been sub out the last 4 Chiefs high draft picks on skill players for another board or consensus. I don't think these mock drafts are all that great, most of the writers are entertainers.

But there are NFL scouting services that teams pay for like Blesto where players are ranked. Would KC have gotten better players than their own board?

For some reason, we seem to out think things and keep trying to outsmart people.

But another issue you have not addressed is Kelce. The trade of Tyreek left the offense's functionality on Kelce.

Kelce is near the end.

Can we afford to spend another regular season with Kelce getting too much attention and beaten to shit?

That's why just improving the MVS role isn't enough to me.

We need to think not only about next year but the next phase after Kelce. That's why we need to go get someone with special potential, not just check boxes on minor upgrades on the depth.

NO ONE IS ARGUING FOR DRAFTING A WR IN THE SECOND ROUND AND CALLING IT GOOD.

I brought up the receivers the Chiefs have taken in the second round because you seem convinced the Chiefs suck at drafting them, when really this front office's record with Day 1-2 picks is no worse than average.

You can look at the consensus board from 2019 on NFL Mock Draft database. That board features the following players ranked ahead of Mecole Hardman:
N'Keal Harry
Hakeem Butler
J.J. Arceaga-Whiteside
Parris Campbell
Kelvin Harmon
Riley Ridley
Emmanuel Hall

The consensus pick who was available when the Chiefs took Hardman would have been Arcega-Whiteside or Parris Campbell. Clearly worse.

Run that against the consensus board on NFL MDD in 22, and Skyy Moore is a value pick for the Chiefs' draft slot. He was the top WR by that aggregate ranking when they drafted at 54 (Alec Pierce, John Metchie III, and Jalen Tolbert are the next 3, followed by Calvin Austin and David Bell). None of those change the quality of player KC got from the pick.

That was the point of bringing that up there. Anyway. On to the rest of your post.

Yes, they need to improve the depth of the weapons and take some of the load off of Travis Kelce.

That's why most people, including me and other guys you're arguing with, are in favor of signing a veteran WR who fits well as a FA and still drafting one on the first two days of the draft. While also expecting Rashee Rice to continue to be more of a focus as he enters his second year.

To overcome the way defenses slowed the offense down this year, the biggest key is going to be acquiring more receiving threats that have to be respected on the deep ball. Valdes-Scantling did not fill that role well during the regular season, and the offense suffered for it. I think the offense also missed Fortson in the 3 TE sets, since he was such a tough matchup and was still a downfield threat.

So yeah, they need to upgrade that spot. They need to upgrade the only spot. And yes, look to the future.

It's a good WR draft class. They can get a player who upgrades the Chiefs are WR2 or WR3 in 2024 with the potential to be better in the future. There are a lot of potential fits in the free agent pool, some that would require big investments, some that would require smaller ones.

KC has multiple ways to upgrade there, and doesn't have to rely on throwing every resource available at WR at the expense of everything else in the interest of obtaining an "alpha."

MahomesMagic 02-25-2024 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17417143)
NO ONE IS ARGUING FOR DRAFTING A WR IN THE SECOND ROUND AND CALLING IT GOOD.

I brought up the receivers the Chiefs have taken in the second round because you seem convinced the Chiefs suck at drafting them, when really this front office's record with Day 1-2 picks is no worse than average.

You can look at the consensus board from 2019 on NFL Mock Draft database. That board features the following players ranked ahead of Mecole Hardman:
N'Keal Harry
Hakeem Butler
J.J. Arceaga-Whiteside
Parris Campbell
Kelvin Harmon
Riley Ridley
Emmanuel Hall

The consensus pick who was available when the Chiefs took Hardman would have been Arcega-Whiteside or Parris Campbell. Clearly worse.

Run that against the consensus board on NFL MDD in 22, and Skyy Moore is a value pick for the Chiefs' draft slot. He was the top WR by that aggregate ranking when they drafted at 54 (Alec Pierce, John Metchie III, and Jalen Tolbert are the next 3, followed by Calvin Austin and David Bell). None of those change the quality of player KC got from the pick.

That was the point of bringing that up there. Anyway. On to the rest of your post.

Yes, they need to improve the depth of the weapons and take some of the load off of Travis Kelce.

That's why most people, including me and other guys you're arguing with, are in favor of signing a veteran WR who fits well as a FA and still drafting one on the first two days of the draft. While also expecting Rashee Rice to continue to be more of a focus as he enters his second year.

To overcome the way defenses slowed the offense down this year, the biggest key is going to be acquiring more receiving threats that have to be respected on the deep ball. Valdes-Scantling did not fill that role well during the regular season, and the offense suffered for it. I think the offense also missed Fortson in the 3 TE sets, since he was such a tough matchup and was still a downfield threat.

So yeah, they need to upgrade that spot. They need to upgrade the only spot. And yes, look to the future.

It's a good WR draft class. They can get a player who upgrades the Chiefs are WR2 or WR3 in 2024 with the potential to be better in the future. There are a lot of potential fits in the free agent pool, some that would require big investments, some that would require smaller ones.

KC has multiple ways to upgrade there, and doesn't have to rely on throwing every resource available at WR at the expense of everything else in the interest of obtaining an "alpha."

NFL Mock Draft database.

Hmmm. Interesting. I will have to dig into that to see who is included. That's an interesting exercise that I will probably take off the main board and post in the Draft Forum next month if I get bored.

To overcome the way defenses slowed the offense down this year, the biggest key is going to be acquiring more receiving threats that have to be respected on the deep ball.

You're preaching to the choir here. I called for this all of last year and many people told me I was crazy. Glad this is closer to CP consensus now.

I do agree we can get by without adding a very good prospect but again, I think the Chiefs should take this FA/offseason very seriously as a chance to not only get by but thrive past next year and into the future.

staylor26 02-25-2024 04:38 PM

JFC you were told we could win a SB with an elite defense and the guys we had. We did.

Stop trying to change history because the outcome was inconvenient for your narrative.

We're all well aware that the defense is likely to take a step back next season, hence why we're all for adding weapons through free agency AND the draft.

You were wrong during the season, and you're wrong now.

Bl00dyBizkitz 02-25-2024 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17416962)
We didn't.

But that's like celebrating that you didn't need to get an oil change for your car and you made it home with the smoke coming out of your car.

;)

My point was that we had a great roster and should win the SB. To make sure we had a highly functional offense. Our offense was the car burning up that got over the line with smoke pouring out.

It was irresponsible of Veach to not add a FA WR when the need was obvious.

Good news is that Veach ain't as dumb as some of his fans. I think he fixes the offense this offseason.

I dont think anyone questions that the offense needs to be fixed. It's the how we disagree on.

You seem to want the return of the 2018 offense, everyone else is cool with a vet FA WR and a 1st/2nd round WR and we just keep trucking along.

Dunerdr 02-25-2024 05:32 PM

This clown changes his own argument of absolute alpha no matter what and refuses to respond to quality discussion otherwise. WR HAVE TO HAVE AN ALPHA TOP FIVE WR. Well that’s not really in the cards where we draft and how our cap is. WHY DO YOU GUYS HATE OFFENSE I JUST WANT IT BETTER. That’s not what anyone said. BRETT VEACH CANT DRAFT PASS CATCHERS WE ARE DOOMED.

Chief Pagan 02-25-2024 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17417074)
You need to go back and read everything if you think I'm arguing against "beefing up" the WR group.

I'm simply saying upgrading at WR2 and WR3 (MVS and Watson) is more realistic than upgrading at WR1 (Rice).

Fair enough. I realize also it depends if one is arguing against somebody who seems to think WR is the only issue.

And it also depends of course what they do on D. If they do manage to bring both Jones and Sneed back, presumably the offense won't have to score as much.

MahomesMagic 02-25-2024 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17417169)
JFC you were told we could win a SB with an elite defense and the guys we had. We did.

Stop trying to change history because the outcome was inconvenient for your narrative.

We're all well aware that the defense is likely to take a step back next season, hence why we're all for adding weapons through free agency AND the draft.

You were wrong during the season, and you're wrong now.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/94/89/dd/9...d915054ad9.jpg

I have my SB winning ticket from Caesar's.

staylor26 02-25-2024 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417235)
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/94/89/dd/9...d915054ad9.jpg

I have my SB winning ticket from Caesar's.

Oh that's right you had all the confidence in the world in the Chiefs ability to win a SB with the WR group that they had!

We all just imagined the non-stop crying :rolleyes:

Chris Meck 02-25-2024 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417137)
Of course you would.

More Skyy Moore
More Watson
More Mecole

Not what I said. Moron.