ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

DaFace 04-06-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7542624)
Wow, what a bunch of idiots. How much does the iPad2 cost to build?

According to the article, $33 less than the Xoom, which would put it at $245.

A minor disclaimer here is that these are all just estimates. Still, it should be in the ballpark.

AustinChief 04-06-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7542613)
How about we wait until we see how it compares to similar tablets before saying it's equal or better? I agree that the specs look great, but the specs on the Joo Joo looked great, too.

Huh? You do know the Asus is out on the market NOW... its just not in the US yet. They released in Taiwan and the UK already.

There are reviews out there by people who have actually used one.

The only thing we don't know for a FACT is the price... there have been two ads leaked that show it at $400 for the 16GB wifi model... and Asus said they would sell between $400-$700 depending on the model... but until I see something official, I will wait and see on that.

patteeu 04-06-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7543217)
According to the article, $33 less than the Xoom, which would put it at $245.

A minor disclaimer here is that these are all just estimates. Still, it should be in the ballpark.

I assume these don't include marketing, distribution, or development costs either, which could be substantial. But still, they are amazing numbers.

AustinChief 04-06-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7543450)
I assume these don't include marketing, distribution, or development costs either, which could be substantial. But still, they are amazing numbers.

yeah , those are just component costs.

Silock 04-06-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7543189)
I'd argue otherwise, but I suppose that's really not the point. When you buy a new computer, most people look at the specs. Yes, some probably actually dig out reviews of the computers, but most of the time these days, you can tell what you're getting by just looking at the size, weight, processor, RAM, and hard drive.

It's the same deal here. The ASUS thing could be a gigantic flop. However, the company has always produced top-of-the-line devices overseas and is well-known for their components (motherboards, especially) here in the States. The stats say it should comparable to the Xoom, and it costs $200 less.

You're right - we will never know how good it is for sure until we all buy one, run a dozen benchmark tests, and try to run over it with a tractor to see how durable it is. However, the evidence we have here suggests that it will be at worst a compelling new entrant into the tablet market and at best the first full-featured Android tablet below $500.

Yeah . . .

Silock 04-06-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7543434)
Huh? You do know the Asus is out on the market NOW... its just not in the US yet. They released in Taiwan and the UK already.

There are reviews out there by people who have actually used one.

The only thing we don't know for a FACT is the price... there have been two ads leaked that show it at $400 for the 16GB wifi model... and Asus said they would sell between $400-$700 depending on the model... but until I see something official, I will wait and see on that.

Yeah, but I can't find any real-world reviews for it. All I can find are spec lists. That's only 5 pages deep in Google, though. I haven't looked THAT hard.

The Rick 04-06-2011 03:29 PM

Eeesh. The Xoom looks like a colossal failure. :) Only 100,000 units sold? Apple sold that many iPad 2s in a matter of minutes...

Quote:

Motorola Xoom A Flop, Just 100,000 Sold So Far

Google's first real answer to the iPad is not exactly blowing the doors off. According to an estimate from Deutsche Bank, Motorola has only sold 100,000 Xooms thus far. Deutsche Bank got its estimate after looking at the Android developer website to see how many people were using Honeycomb.

For some context, Apple sold 300,000 iPads on the first week weekend it was available. (And it's been selling like crazy since then. Total sales are probably over 20 million at this point.)
http://www.businessinsider.com/motor...m-sales-2011-4

Silock 04-06-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 7543898)
Eeesh. The Xoom looks like a colossal failure. :) Only 100,000 units sold? Apple sold that many iPad 2s in a matter of minutes...

Clearly, the best tablet on the market.

AustinChief 04-06-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

HAHAHAHA... though I wouldn't be surprised if that number was correct... the idiot who proposed that number is basing it off next to nothing... it's a complete guess at this point... Why don't we wait until a reputable source reports a number that is based on more than guesswork...

BUT as I said, 100k units isn't out of the realm of possibility... for something with such awful disjointed marketing (thanks Motorola)... it just means the SALES were a failure not the device itself.

Try again fanboi. :D

AustinChief 04-06-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7543942)
Clearly, the best tablet on the market.

Do some fact checking before you jump on the fanboi bandwagon for this one...

Silock 04-06-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7543960)
Do some fact checking before you jump on the fanboi bandwagon for this one...

Relax. I'm just poking fun at you.

AustinChief 04-06-2011 04:38 PM

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383201,00.asp

Samsung gets the price right... but unfortunately it's the 7" tablet with Android 2.2.. blah.

If they could offer their 8.9" wifi model for that same price with Honeycomb.. they'd have a hit.

DaFace 04-06-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

I think a lot of it is that there are a ton of people out there like me who are waiting for the prices to come down. There's a perception that Apple products are overpriced, so it doesn't seem like an Android product should be higher priced.

I've said for a long time that there's no way I'm paying more than $500 for one, and I think that $400 is more reasonable. Hopefully they'll be able to get it down even lower than that, but we'll see. Just depends on how hot the competition gets.

(That said, I don't expect any individual device to ever sell as well as the iPad. The only question is whether the collection of Android tablets will sell more. I think it'll happen, but I'm not going to go making bets on it. ;))

WoodDraw 04-06-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7543450)

Remember that Apple has to develop iOS in house and also spends money developing quality apps for the iOS system, while Motorola...doesn't. Apple's marketing is also far more extensive and impressive than Motorola's.

AustinChief 04-06-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7544343)
Remember that Apple has to develop iOS in house and also spends money developing quality apps for the iOS system, while Motorola...doesn't. Apple's marketing is also far more extensive and impressive than Motorola's.

The fact is.. Motorola had a perfect chance to position themselves well with a low cost, high quality iPad alternative... and instead went for a money grab... idiots...