ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO: True Detective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276034)

Bambi 05-28-2014 10:13 AM

Apparently it won't be Christian Bale.

Deberg_1990 07-13-2014 05:19 PM

How do you feel about Colin Ferrell and Taylor Kitsch for season 2?

http://www.thewrap.com/colin-farrell...sch-also-eyed/

Tribal Warfare 07-13-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10745151)

a big step down, but they're solid actors.

Deberg_1990 07-13-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10745163)

They are both solid actors with the right material. They obviously need a career reboot/boost.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-13-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

I like it.

Baby Lee 07-13-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10745163)

There'll be two more.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1863383

BigBeauford 07-14-2014 08:51 AM

Sounds like this series is undergoing a colinoscopy.

Baby Lee 07-14-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10745836)
Sounds like this series is undergoing a colinoscopy.

It has always, since day one, been meant to be a series of stories each told in its entirety in a single season.

The prestige of the show hinges on the writer and directors, and the sensibility they bring to the plots, more than the cast.

Complaining about recasting on True Detective is like complaining about Ken Burns using different voice over talent on Prohibition than he did on The Civil War.

BigBeauford 07-14-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10745883)
It has always, since day one, been meant to be a series of stories each told in its entirety in a single season.

The prestige of the show hinges on the writer and directors, and the sensibility they bring to the plots, more than the cast.

Complaining about recasting on True Detective is like complaining about Ken Burns using different voice over talent on Prohibition than he did on The Civil War.

I have been aware of this premise. Just not the biggest Colin Ferrell fan.

Anyong Bluth 07-15-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10745927)
I have been aware of this premise. Just not the biggest Colin Ferrell fan.

Easy solution. Skip season 2.

Nick said recently he didn't anticipate doing more than 3 seasons.

Probably feeling the pressure of having to start from scratch and expectations of matching the original season.

MM's character, lines / the writing, and performance, in my mind, makes clearing the bar set that high, again, almost a certain exercise in futility. His portrayal of Rust is one of generational magnitude.

Red Brooklyn 07-15-2014 10:35 AM

I'll take or leave Colin Ferrell. But I godamm LOVE Taylor Kitsch.

Super excited if he's going to be a part of this.

ToxSocks 07-15-2014 01:28 PM

I finally finished this. Fantastic show. Count me as one who wasn't disappointed in the finale.

But....what's this shit about the Marty's daughter? Can some one explain that to me please because i definately missed it.

Baby Lee 07-16-2014 02:30 AM

A name being attached to TD S2 that should excite one and all.

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 07-18-2014 01:40 AM

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/07/major-p...ve-season-two/

Ragged Robin 07-21-2014 12:07 AM

Bump/hijack

Anyone into this show should also check out Broadchurch. True Detective gets pretty abstract and gets into the existential artsy stuff whereas Broadchurch sort of swings it the other way where it's more social commentary and they intentionally mess with your head and lead you down windy paths (moreso than True Detective).

They're actually remaking it as an American version which is going to air in the fall starring.. the same exact actor except with a fake US accent (it will be called Gracepoint). So before that comes out and is terrible, I hope you guys check out the original first.

rocknrolla 07-21-2014 11:24 AM

With the bar set so high from season 1 with Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. I don't think another season can ever live up to the expectations. Just put Keye and Peele in it.

noa 07-21-2014 11:27 AM

The wife and I liked Broadchurch a lot. It took a familiar setup and did a nice job of telling the story. I liked the aesthetic of the show, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 07-21-2014 11:56 AM

We actually had a brief Broadchurch thread but it didn't get a lot of play for whatever reason. Good show.

Baby Lee 07-21-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10757239)
Bump/hijack

Anyone into this show should also check out Broadchurch. True Detective gets pretty abstract and gets into the existential artsy stuff whereas Broadchurch sort of swings it the other way where it's more social commentary and they intentionally mess with your head and lead you down windy paths (moreso than True Detective).

They're actually remaking it as an American version which is going to air in the fall starring.. the same exact actor except with a fake US accent (it will be called Gracepoint). So before that comes out and is terrible, I hope you guys check out the original first.

Broadchurch is coming to America. It'll be called Gracepoint. Early on it will be nearly shot for shot, but will diverge wildly later in the series leading to a different [set of] suspect[s].

Helmed by Carolyn Bernstein, who brought The Bridge to US soil. Starring David Tennant, the last Doctor.

KCUnited 07-27-2014 07:28 AM

I watched the entire season for the first time yesterday (first weekend I've had to myself since June). It would've been cool to see some more ritual type of shit, especially at the end when they finally got on to the yellow king.

Overall, it was like a Slayer album with Depeche Mode lyrics.

Mr. Laz 08-04-2014 10:24 PM

Vince Vaughn in Talks for True Detective Season 2
by CHRIS HARNICK and KRISTIN DOS SANTOS Today 12:36 PM PDT

From Wedding Crashers to True Detective? Vince Vaughn is in talks to join the HBO drama for season two as one of the lead characters, E! News has confirmed.

According to our source, Vaughn is in preliminary discussions to play one of four lead roles. No deal has been signed. Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch, who emerged as possible frontrunners, are also still in talks, according to insiders.

TVLine first reported the news of Vaughn's involvement with True Detective.
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson starred in the first season and both received Emmy nominations for their work in the dark drama.
Casting rumors for True Detective season two have run rampant with names such as Jessica Chastain and Brad Pitt reportedly attached to the project. HBO president Michael Lombardo told reporters at the 2014 Summer TCA Press Tour that casting announcements could come any day.

"The two scripts we have are, I hate to jinx it, but are more exciting than the first season," Lombardo said. "[Creator Nic Pizzolatto has] blown us away with the first two episodes."

What do you think of a True Detective with Colin, Taylor and Vince?

keg in kc 08-04-2014 10:47 PM

Vince Vaughn? That would be some...odd casting.

Anyong Bluth 08-04-2014 10:53 PM

He's played darker roles before. I actually think he could surprise some people and do a good job.

Bambi 08-05-2014 09:58 AM

I love Vince Vaughn, always have. I don't get why he's hated by so many. Same with Tom Cruise.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2014 05:44 PM

Cool. I really like Vaughn.

Deberg_1990 08-05-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10795150)
He's played darker roles before. I actually think he could surprise some people and do a good job.

He's had a strange career.

Started out comedy early, then switched to dark with the Psycho remake, the Cell and Domestic Disturbance. Then after Old School hit big, he switched back to comedy nearly exclusively.

Baby Lee 08-05-2014 05:58 PM

Elisabeth Moss, since no one else has mentioned it yet.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/elisa...detective.html

http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/e...mad-men-s7.jpg

Also, Dane's old neighbor Michelle Forbes, Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch.

Bambi 08-06-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10796414)
Elisabeth Moss, since no one else has mentioned it yet.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/elisa...detective.html

http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/e...mad-men-s7.jpg

Also, Dane's old neighbor Michelle Forbes, Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch.

perfect

Anyong Bluth 08-06-2014 09:38 AM

So, Vaugn is supposedly one of the main antagonists- a behind the scenes man who is pushing for a massive high speed rail to connect throughout California, supposedly.

Great Expectations 08-06-2014 10:10 AM

How long until season 2 is supposed to air?

WilliamTheIrish 08-06-2014 12:07 PM

Vince Vaughn would be great in this type of show.

Mr. Laz 08-06-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10795487)
I love Vince Vaughn, always have. I don't get why he's hated by so many. Same with Tom Cruise.

I don't hate him. The rambling dialogue all his recent characters have had is annoying at hell though.

Anyong Bluth 08-06-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10797774)
I don't hate him. The rambling dialogue all his recent characters have had is annoying at hell though.

Ya, but his deadpan looks and smartass delivery will make him a perfect prick for the show, imo.

rocknrolla 08-06-2014 05:35 PM

I really like the Vince Vaughn idea. He was great in "Clay Pigeons".

GloucesterChief 08-06-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10797790)
Ya, but his deadpan looks and smartass delivery will make him a perfect prick for the show, imo.

Vince Vaughn has a place in comedy. His place is the straight man, which I have to give credit is the hardest act in comedy.

He isn't funny as the one telling the jokes.

Deberg_1990 08-06-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10797565)
How long until season 2 is supposed to air?

Well, season 1 started in January. But since season 2 is still casting , my guess is late spring 2015 at the earliest.

Sometimes HBO shows go longer than usual between seasons. Sopranos did this on occasion.

Great Expectations 08-06-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10798729)
Well, season 1 started in January. But since season 2 is still casting , my guess is late spring 2015 at the earliest.

Sometimes HBO shows go longer than usual between seasons. Sopranos did this on occasion.

If casting hasn't finished I'd guess January of '16, maybe fall of '15

Baby Lee 08-08-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10432563)
The god damned T bone Burnett soundtrack may be the best part of an excellent show. Lucinda's "Are you Alright" when Ruston goes undercover ad starts transforming is nails.

In super interesting sideline: I work with a Ruston Cole who was a former hardass cop. Wears a ponytail and looks like a biker. The writer of this series went to college in our town. I asked "Russ" if he knew about the series and he said tons of people have been asking him if it's based on him. Said as far as he knows he never met the writer during his time in Fayeteville.

Newch - don't know if you have any insight, but if you do, what could you impart on the apparent drama surrounding Pizzalotto about now.

Someone's accusing him of plagiarizism

He denies it

People say, maybe he's not a plagiarist, but the form of his denial makes him a total douchebag.

Those are the broad strokes of what I see in the clickbait-o-sphere.

BigRedChief 08-09-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10797423)
perfect

She can bring it.:thumb:

NewChief 08-10-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10804823)
Newch - don't know if you have any insight, but if you do, what could you impart on the apparent drama surrounding Pizzalotto about now.

Someone's accusing him of plagiarizism

He denies it

People say, maybe he's not a plagiarist, but the form of his denial makes him a total douchebag.

Those are the broad strokes of what I see in the clickbait-o-sphere.

I haven't really followed it too much. I remember some noise about Cole's nihilistic monologues being lifted from elsewhere. I'll have to investigate a little more. I know some folks who went to school with Pizzolato, but they haven't really said anything good or bad about him as a person for the most part. One of my other screenwriting buddies doesn't seem to be real high on him, though (but that might be because his series hasn't taken off quite like TD yet). I'll have to ask him when I see him in a couple of weeks.

bowener 08-10-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10797528)
So, Vaugn is supposedly one of the main antagonists- a behind the scenes man who is pushing for a massive high speed rail to connect throughout California, supposedly.

If this is an actual plot point, I am wondering if this will have some similarities to Chinatown's story.

Bambi 08-18-2014 07:49 PM

So I got curious about Elisabeth Moss and have been watching Top of the Lake. It's a BBc mini series but you can watch it on Netflix.

It's pretty awesome. Based in New Zealand it definitely has that "Australian, biker-trash, meth, mobile home" kinda feel similar to Snowtown Murders or Wolf Creek. Highly recommend checking it out.

Anyong Bluth 08-18-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10809796)
If this is an actual plot point, I am wondering if this will have some similarities to Chinatown's story.

It's been talked about as having the same vibe as that and The Black Dahlia.

Simply Red 08-18-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10830632)
It's been talked about as having the same vibe as that and The Black Dahlia.

did you enjoy Black Dahlia?

Anyong Bluth 08-19-2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10830653)
did you enjoy Black Dahlia?

I'd have to rewatch it to give you an honest opinion. It's just been so long. I will say that I don't recall it having a lasting impression on me- which I'm pretty good about remembering movies I rather enjoyed.

Now, I am a fan of the time period and the whole seedy underworld of Hollywood's Golden Age.

Simply Red 08-19-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10831342)
I'd have to rewatch it to give you an honest opinion. It's just been so long. I will say that I don't recall it having a lasting impression on me- which I'm pretty good about remembering movies I rather enjoyed.

Now, I am a fan of the time period and the whole seedy underworld of Hollywood's Golden Age.

That's how I'd respond too - I don't remember it much.

Anyong Bluth 08-19-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10832042)
That's how I'd respond too - I don't remember it much.

But damnit, you brought it up and now I'm curious, so I'll be watching it probably in the next day or two.

Simply Red 08-19-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10832810)
But damnit, you brought it up and now I'm curious, so I'll be watching it probably in the next day or two.

ha ha, let me know if anything sparks your interest six yrs later, or however long it's been.

Anyong Bluth 08-21-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10834321)
ha ha, let me know if anything sparks your interest six yrs later, or however long it's been.

Man, I forgot what a packed cast of big actors all we're in it. Unfortunately, the movie is a solid build up for about half the film, and then just fizzles with a sense of scattered direction and a weak resolution that has no payoff of what it could have been building to.

Sadly because the cinematography and setting for everything shot is fantastic, but the end of the 2nd and whole 3rd act are stillborn and ruined what could have been on par with say LA Confidential. With some script changes and tighter adherence to keeping it focused on the case and clues, it would have faired way better.

Shame because it started out so well and I wanted to get engrossed by the story.

ragedogg69 08-21-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10830531)
So I got curious about Elisabeth Moss and have been watching Top of the Lake. It's a BBc mini series but you can watch it on Netflix.

It's pretty awesome. Based in New Zealand it definitely has that "Australian, biker-trash, meth, mobile home" kinda feel similar to Snowtown Murders or Wolf Creek. Highly recommend checking it out.

I tried getting into that show. Sepinwall wouldnt shut up about it. It just never took. I think the cliched bad guys soured me on it.

Buehler445 08-28-2014 10:30 PM

I missed the series this spring and just now caught up.

Wow I'm glad I didn't get enveloped in what might have been only to be disappointed by the finale. I thought the finale was outstanding. I was sure one or both would die and the scarface ****stain was 60/40 winning/dying. I also thought the incest sisterish thing would kill one of them.

I agree with whomever said it was about the relationship. Man it was a hell of a ride to watch it develop.

Hell of a series. Will buy.

Baby Lee 08-28-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10859097)
I missed the series this spring and just now caught up.

Wow I'm glad I didn't get enveloped in what might have been only to be disappointed by the finale. I thought the finale was outstanding. I was sure one or both would die and the scarface ****stain was 60/40 winning/dying. I also thought the incest sisterish thing would kill one of them.

I agree with whomever said it was about the relationship. Man it was a hell of a ride to watch it develop.

Hell of a series. Will buy.

She killed herself last week on HBO. Then returned to being Bill Masters' mom over on Showtime and hour later. Amazing week.

Buehler445 08-29-2014 06:22 AM

I believe another reason some didn't like the finale is the atheists were all like,

"YEAH! This show openly mocks religion!!!"

----finale----

"Ummm. Wtf? Cohle found God? Show sucks."

ChiliConCarnage 09-21-2014 11:14 AM

Colin Farrell is confirmed now

Quote:

[The] 38-year-old star said, “I’m doing the second series. I’m so excited.”

“I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot. I know very little about it, but we’re shooting in the environs of Los Angeles which is great. It means I get to stay at home and see the kids.” Farrell revealed the rest of the cast are still being locked down.
Quote:

Nic Pizzolatto has returned to pen the next series, which looks set to pick up on the bloody murder of a corrupt city businessman found dead the night before a major transportation deal.

Three police officials from different cities are put in charge of solving the high profile case.

While the first season was directly solely by Emmy winner Cary Fukanaga, the new run will likely make use of multiple directors. No one has been confirmed as yet, but William Friedkin and The Fast and the Furious’ Justin Lin are among rumoured names.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:15 PM

this show ****ing disappointed me like crazy, so much build up and at the end
Spoiler!

Fargo was much better, although McConahey & Harrelson were good. Also, the eye-candy girls on the side were ****ing hot.

Sure-Oz 09-23-2014 12:55 PM

Confirmed season 2 Colin Ferrell and Vince Vaughn

Bowser 09-23-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10942247)
Confirmed season 2 Colin Ferrell and Vince Vaughn

I like this pairing. Looking forward to seeing this.

GloucesterChief 09-24-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10943316)
I like this pairing. Looking forward to seeing this.

Colin Ferrell is good. Vince Vaughn is not someone I can see doing a dramatic part. He is okay as a straightman in a comedy.

Bowser 09-24-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10944063)
Colin Ferrell is good. Vince Vaughn is not someone I can see doing a dramatic part. He is okay as a straightman in a comedy.

He's got the range. He's kind of pigeon holed himself into his comedic role lately. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with his effort.

saphojunkie 09-24-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

How do you... just... WHAT?

Deberg_1990 09-24-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Vaughn did a lot of dramatic work in the late 90s / early 2000s

Aries Walker 09-24-2014 08:12 PM

Really? Like what? Jurassic Park?

Colin Farrell I think will work just fine, but I'll need to be convinced on Vince Vaughn.

Baby Lee 09-24-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10945658)
Really? Like what? Jurassic Park?

Colin Farrell I think will work just fine, but I'll need to be convinced on Vince Vaughn.

Oh, a little film known as Psycho.

Seriously though, haven't seen it but had heard he was good in Clay Pigeons.

Aries Walker 09-24-2014 08:21 PM

That was the shot-for-shot Psycho remake. I believe it won some Golden Raspberries.

duncan_idaho 09-24-2014 08:30 PM

Vaughn is pretty good in dramatic turns in Return to Paradise and Clay Pigeons, IMO. It should be a pretty interesting pairing.

Deberg_1990 09-24-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10945705)
That was the shot-for-shot Psycho remake. I believe it won some Golden Raspberries.

Yea, that was a strange part of his career.

He also played another disturbed character in the Travolta flick Domestic Disturbance

ChiliConCarnage 09-25-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10945747)
Vaughn is pretty good in dramatic turns in Return to Paradise and Clay Pigeons, IMO. It should be a pretty interesting pairing.

I agree that I think Vaughn will do pretty well. They aren't really a pair though. Vaughn was rumored to be a bad guy early on; I'm assuming he's still tied to that role.

Farrell, Kitsch, and insert female nom du jour are the LEO's but they all come from different levels of law enforcement so I don't think we'll see the same buddy(?) dynamic.

Apparently, Justin Lin is confirmed for the first 2 episodes. Wonder if we'll get 4 directors doing 2 each

Baby Lee 11-10-2014 11:46 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i5JkBs4lJak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 12:03 AM

Vince Vaughn will need to pull off the role of a lifetime. He's a giant bozo and there isn't a person in the world that thinks otherwise. No one references "Clay Pidgeons" or his other work when mentioning Vaughn. We're not talking about Heath Ledger or Mark Ruffalo or Ed Norton - We're talking the "Big Daddy" the "Rock" the "Funny guy who eats too much".

I won't buy it until I see it.

That said, the finaly two episodes of last season were unadulterated hack writing. The ending was sooooooooooo ridiculous, with the "blue screen" background and pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

The real tragedy wasn't the elected officials involvement or the familial inbreeding.

It was a bad ****ing script with a worse ending.

Chiefspants 11-11-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11102615)
Vince Vaughn will need to pull off the role of a lifetime. He's a giant bozo and there isn't a person in the world that thinks otherwise. No one references "Clay Pidgeons" or his other work when mentioning Vaughn. We're not talking about Heath Ledger or Mark Ruffalo or Ed Norton - We're talking the "Big Daddy" the "Rock" the "Funny guy who eats too much".

I won't buy it until I see it.

That said, the finaly two episodes of last season were unadulterated hack writing. The ending was sooooooooooo ridiculous, with the "blue screen" background and pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

The real tragedy wasn't the elected officials involvement or the familial inbreeding.

It was a bad ****ing script with a worse ending.

In my eyes, the beginning of the season overcame its sometimes slipshot writing with phenomenal direction and a near iconic performance from McConaughey. In the first six (arguably seven) episodes, Fukunaga's laser tight focus made it easy to overlook many of the show's deficits. It also helped that the writing for McConaughey and his performance was absolutely captivating (as it turns out, some of Cohle's landmark lines "the light's winning" - "time is a flat circle" were almost directly lifted from other material). Add in the show's dynamic supporting cast, and this season one's strong beginning looked destined for a classic finale.

However, the weaknesses in the writing brought the show off the rails in its conclusion. When I was watching the finale, all I could think of was that it was playing like a cookie cutter episode of crime procedural - but throughout it I was hopeful the end would bring it all back together. It didn't (though I didn't hate Cohle's final revelation as much as some).

With that said, the cinematography, Fukunaga, McConaughey and the rest of the supporting cast made season one a classic.

Looking toward season 2, with Fukunaga's departure, the weaknesses (and apparent plagiarism) of Pizzolatto's writing, the reports that the writers/cast/production are now rushing to meet their season 2 deadline, and the fact that HBO is relying on Vince Vaughn to have a watershed performance that turns around his career's trajectory, I'm worrying that it's becoming apparent that Pizzolatto caught lightning in a bottle during the previous season.

Buehler445 11-11-2014 08:39 AM

Well, if Vaughn is the same ol Vaughn, it won't take long for the viewership to tank after season 1.

raybec 4 11-11-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11102863)
Well, if Vaughn is the same ol Vaughn, it won't take long for the viewership to tank after season 1.

Vince Vaughn has played the same character in every movie for 10 years.

Buehler445 11-11-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 11102877)

So had McConaughey for the most part. He did break the mold a bit with We are Marshall, but yeah, he was a rom com douche for almost ever.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 11102877)

Maybe so but MM was convincing in those roles. Sure, he had his typical swagger and style but I bought it, whether it was Lincoln Lawyer or Magic Mike.

Vince is the same exact guy in every single movie. That said, I lovethe guy and I love his comedies but it's difficult to see him, without seeing him, being able to pull this off.

Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch should be great.

DaneMcCloud 11-11-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11102899)
So had McConaughey for the most part. He did break the mold a bit with We are Marshall, but yeah, he was a rom com douche for almost ever.

I have to disagree.

While he certainly did a few rom com's, movies like Two for the Money, The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Frailty and of course, The Dallas Buyers Club and The Wolf of Wall Street show a much greater range than Vince Vaughn (or one of his finer roles, IMO, in Contact).

Vince Vaughn is always the "sidekick" to the guy chasing the women. He's the funny "big guy".

I hope he pulls it off.

keg in kc 11-11-2014 05:05 PM

Yeah, McConaughey had been on a roll for years. True Detective wasn't some kind of revival for him, it was just more of what he'd already been doing.

I don't get the Vaughn casting, but I hope it works.

Pablo 11-11-2014 05:13 PM

Mud was a pretty good movie that MM did within the last few years as well.

KevB 11-11-2014 05:28 PM

VV casting makes me quite skeptical that season 2 will match season 1 (or even come close), but I'm still intrigued by the risk they're taking. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Gadzooks 11-11-2014 05:45 PM

Right after season 1 there was talk of casting 2 broads. I wonder why they changed their minds.
MM did a great job in changing my opinion of his acting abilities. Woody did what he could...

I'd imagine the focus will be on Colin Farrell with Vaughn playing a Woody type role. Colin Farrell can certainly use the publicity. (his Q-meter is pretty low)

ToxSocks 11-11-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11104093)

Vince is the same exact guy in every single movie. That said, I lovethe guy and I love his comedies but it's difficult to see him, without seeing him, being able to pull this off.

The role is probably tailored to him. He'll probably be the same exact guy again.