ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Gillette (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320438)

BIG_DADDY 01-15-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041790)
this is true.

consider the following
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovY6yjTe1LE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this vid used to have a down-skewed ratio. now it has 7k up vs 5k down.

Or they just change the numbers, it is youtube.

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 04:01 PM

Our society has been reduced to internet thumbs.

Rams Fan 01-15-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14041786)
Beer is consumed by both men and women. Who do you think beer commercials are targeting? And why would that be?

Because I presume the majority of their consumers are male.

Still doesn't excuse marginalizing a consumer base by saying, "Because you are a man, you do bad things."

SuperChief 01-15-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14040405)
The message in this commercial doesn't come across as "don't be a bad man." It comes across as "being a man is bad." Or more "all men are bad, all you ****ers need to change."

DJ's Left Nut, as usual, sums it up pretty eloquently.

I think that says a TON about you. I don't know anything about you personally, yet I know everything I need to know now. Poor little dude.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041709)
Okay, I get that.

Then again, if your argument is that most people just weren't moved enough to click thumbs up or thumbs down, how are they going to be moved enough to buy Gillette over some other brand?

Branding doesn't have to lead to immediate action.

If a young person didn't have a visceral reaction, chances are this ad isn't going to sway them to not buy. A slight positive impression could be enough to consider buying. But the biggest impact will be the brand activity. They see Gillette's name all over the place. The question is if that's enough to balance any negative reaction that leads to lost sales. It's polarizing of an ad enough to fairly ask that question.

Discuss Thrower 01-15-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14041807)
I think that says a TON about you. I don't know anything about you personally, yet I know everything I need to know now. Poor little dude.

It says he's better at critical analysis than you are, chiefly.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 14041806)
Because I presume the majority of their consumers are male.

Still doesn't excuse marginalizing a consumer base by saying, "Because you are a man, you do bad things."

Your perception that the message was "All men are bad" is very telling, as us normies over here can hear the actual message. Jesus - what even are you?

SuperChief 01-15-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14041813)
It says he's better at critical analysis than you are, chiefly.

I don't think feeding your blind rationalizations has anything to do with "critical analysis." Hit me up when that makes any lick of sense, mkay?

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14041807)

Oh **** off.

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14041818)
I don't think feeding your blind rationalizations has anything to do with "critical analysis." Hit me up when that makes any lick of sense, mkay?

I write advertising for a living. I actually have to consider things like not pissing off a huge chunk of my client's customer base.

Rams Fan 01-15-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14041817)
Your perception that the message was "All men are bad" is very telling, as us normies over here can hear the actual message. Jesus - what even are you?

"Normies" don't use the word "toxic masculinity" to describe what people like Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Matt Lauer do.

Do you, as a "normie", realize that Gillette acting patriarchal is portraying the exact ****ing problem that the commercial seems to be addressing?

Third Eye 01-15-2019 04:08 PM

You guys must have some kick ass lives if this is the kind of shit that gets you worked up; a ****ing tv commercial.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14041827)
I write advertising for a living. I actually have to consider things like not pissing off a huge chunk of my client's customer base.

The real question is if it was more positive than negative to millennials and younger audience. Could be, but who knows. I don't think Gillette cares about pissing off older audiences. Razor category values acquiring younger customers a lot more than keeping older ones.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14041811)
Branding doesn't have to lead to immediate action.

If a young person didn't have a visceral reaction, chances are this ad isn't going to sway them to not buy. A slight positive impression could be enough to consider buying. But the biggest impact will be the brand activity. They see Gillette's name all over the place. The question is if that's enough to balance any negative reaction that leads to lost sales. It's polarizing of an ad enough to fairly ask that question.

So basically the old adage that the only bad press is no press? I don't know about that.

But it will sure be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14041831)
The real question is if it was more positive than negative to millennials and younger audience. Could be, but who knows. I don't think Gillette cares about pissing off older audiences. Razor category values acquiring younger customers a lot more than keeping older ones.

Nobody values losing customers. They could have made this ad in a less idiotic way, with the same message they were attempting to deliver, and had positive feedback from everyone.