ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers The Official Malware/Antivirus Thread - Need help or general advice? Read this first! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232173)

QuikSsurfer 04-11-2011 02:21 PM

run hijackthis and post your log here please

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/produc...HijackThis.exe

Bowser 04-11-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 7554481)
run hijackthis and post your log here please

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/produc...HijackThis.exe

Me? I will as soon as I answer the question it asked me about a file being in a windows folder, which I'm not sure if it is. That was what I was asking in the post - do I click yes, yes all, no, or just escape out of it? (And apologies for my lack of 'puter knowledge. It's kinda like trying to teach a kindergartner trigonometry sometimes with me)

Fish 04-11-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7554474)
Ok, so my avast starts going apeshit with a malware warning. I open it up, delete it, restart, and get to a window where everything looks like it's from 1988, asking if I want to delete the problem. I click yes, and it goes nuts deleting stuff. Now, I am looking at a line that reads thusly -

File C:\windows\help\mui\0409\aclui.CHM>html\066cfb1-0e68-40bb-b889-6268f1308575.htm is infected by HTML:Script-inf
File is in windows folder, are you sure?
1-Yes, 2-Yes all, 3-No, Esc-Exit :

I have no idea where this shit is. I'm assuming I click yes all, but is that right? (And btw, the avast went apeshit on me as soon as I left ChiefsPlanet)

Sounds like you have malware that's spoofing Windows system messages, and you just clicked yes to it.

If you don't see anything on the message box that's branding it as from a legit source(Avast, Microsoft, etc.), then I'd cancel out of it and run Malwarebytes first thing.

thecoffeeguy 04-11-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7554474)
Ok, so my avast starts going apeshit with a malware warning. I open it up, delete it, restart, and get to a window where everything looks like it's from 1988, asking if I want to delete the problem. I click yes, and it goes nuts deleting stuff. Now, I am looking at a line that reads thusly -

File C:\windows\help\mui\0409\aclui.CHM>html\066cfb1-0e68-40bb-b889-6268f1308575.htm is infected by HTML:Script-inf
File is in windows folder, are you sure?
1-Yes, 2-Yes all, 3-No, Esc-Exit :

I have no idea where this shit is. I'm assuming I click yes all, but is that right? (And btw, the avast went apeshit on me as soon as I left ChiefsPlanet)

Sounds like Fake Anti-virus warning. Shit load of it is going around as a result of Lizamoon

Download Microsoft Security Essentials (Yes Microsoft), update the definitions and run a full scan.

Security essentials is very very good at finding this nasty stuff believe it or not.

Bowser 04-11-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7554530)
Sounds like you have malware that's spoofing Windows system messages, and you just clicked yes to it.

If you don't see anything on the message box that's branding it as from a legit source(Avast, Microsoft, etc.), then I'd cancel out of it and run Malwarebytes first thing.

Awesome. Here's a line right on the screen that's right over the question -

File C:\users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\nss778A.tmp\Setup.dll is infected by win32: PUP-gen [PUP]
Deleted

So, I am to escape out of this, dowload Malwarebytes, and run it as soon as possible, yes?

Bowser 04-11-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoffeeguy (Post 7554537)
Sounds like Fake Anti-virus warning. Shit load of it is going around as a result of Lizamoon

Download Microsoft Security Essentials (Yes Microsoft), update the definitions and run a full scan.

Security essentials is very very good at finding this nasty stuff believe it or not.

Cool. I'll get that one, too.

Is it any coincidence that I downloaded IE 9 like two days ago that this shit is happening?

Fish 04-11-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7554546)
Awesome. Here's a line right on the screen that's right over the question -

File C:\users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\nss778A.tmp\Setup.dll is infected by win32: PUP-gen [PUP]
Deleted

So, I am to escape out of this, dowload Malwarebytes, and run it as soon as possible, yes?

Yes.

Fish 04-11-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7554548)
Cool. I'll get that one, too.

Is it any coincidence that I downloaded IE 9 like two days ago that this shit is happening?

No.

QuikSsurfer 04-11-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7554502)
Me? I will as soon as I answer the question it asked me about a file being in a windows folder, which I'm not sure if it is. That was what I was asking in the post - do I click yes, yes all, no, or just escape out of it? (And apologies for my lack of 'puter knowledge. It's kinda like trying to teach a kindergartner trigonometry sometimes with me)

It's a rogue (fake av). And you'd be better off running a updated ver of malwarebytes in safe mode.

Fish 04-11-2011 03:03 PM

I would like to reiterate what a great investment it is to purchase the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

It's only $25, and that gives you a version of Malwarebytes that is always running, and scans each file you access in real-time exactly like your virus scanner does. This catches spyware and malware before it has a chance to infect anything. This program has completely eliminated monthly visits to fix my grandmother's computer. And I can't tell you how much of an accomplishment and endorsement for the product that is.

https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/p...am_page_button

Bowser 04-11-2011 03:14 PM

This is interesting. Everytime I go to try and get to MS's website, avast pops up with a malware warning....

Bowser 04-11-2011 03:15 PM

And I'm gonna take you up on your recommendation, Fish. Our desktop is relatively new, and I don't want it to get fried out.

Fish 04-11-2011 03:27 PM

If the malware has infected the machine, it may be screwing with your internet settings. Hence the malware warning when viewing the M$ site. I'd download Malwarebytes, then reboot into Safe Mode and run Malwarebytes from there. Then after you've run a complete scan in Safe Mode and hopefully removed the malware, I'd boot back up normally and run it again.

And you won't be disappointed with Malwarebytes Pro. It's worth every stinkin penny IMO....

Sure-Oz 04-11-2011 03:28 PM

My dads cpu is getting alot of avast shit too saying its blocked like js shit like 200 times...while malwarebytes was running it popped up 20 times.

running spybot, and malwarebytes in safe right now...going to dl microsoft sec. essentials next. Also spybot found and removed a browser hijacker registry on svchost or whatever.

Fish 04-11-2011 03:38 PM

Once you run Malwarebytes Pro a little while, you'll be shocked at the frequency of the attack attempts on your machine. It will pop up a little dialog box every time it blocks something harmful. Which you'll eventually have to turn the dialog box off, because it's popping up all the damn time and becomes annoying. But it serves as a good reminder of how much harmful shit is out there waiting to exploit something on your machine.