ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

Sully 03-10-2019 03:59 PM

Spoiler!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sure-Oz 03-10-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 14144589)
Yeah. Now try to un-see it!

I can't ...oh man lol

Sully 03-10-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14144521)
I enjoyed it...the 3rd act definitely was the best. Fragmented and a little slow at the beginning but solid. I thought Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel were done just fine by Brie Larson as well. Some changes from the comic for sure but didn't bother me. It might bother some hardcore comic people at what was changed. Think if you are a marvel movie fan go see it. The audience I was in clapped at the beginning of the movie when the marvel studios part was loading...pretty awesome. 2 end credit scenes...1st one is right away and is related to end game. Not absolutely necessary to see it but made me go...oh ok damn. 2nd one was a funny one.

I enjoyed the 90s references.

I probably will buy it on Blu-ray and might see it one more time.

The Marvel Studios opening was legit the most emotional part of the movie.

And I also lived Stan's cameo, and the script he was practicing.

KC_Lee 03-10-2019 05:42 PM

Just saw the movie. All I can say is...meh.

Not a bad movie just not a great one. The Skrull make up looked goofy and amateurish. The "Grrrrrrril" rock songs got old after the second song.

Seems like there was a better movie lurking under the surface, it just couldn't get out.

And one big thing that made no sense...
Spoiler!

Rams Fan 03-10-2019 05:43 PM

I just got out of the theater an hour ago and I don’t get any of the fuss about the political stuff.

There’s one “girl power” scene the entire movie and it wasn’t out of place.

Anyone who’s complaining about it probably also yells at clouds.

It’s a solid 7/10 for me. The first half was super slow but after that it was entertaining.

ThaVirus 03-10-2019 06:42 PM

Can someone spoil the End Game end-credits scene?

1claire 03-10-2019 07:07 PM

Listen, my captain marvel reaction shouldn’t hold any weight it’s the opinion of an “internet comedian” but don’t come at me about the woman thing. Wonder Woman made me want to be Wonder Woman I just didn’t like captain marvel like Y'all acting like Marvel can’t make a bad movie.

One of the funniest review that I have seen on social media.

Rams Fan 03-10-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14144845)
Can someone spoil the End Game end-credits scene?

Spoiler!

Mr. Plow 03-10-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 14144774)

The political "girl power" stuff is from Larson's mouth outside of the movie while promoting the movie - has nothing to do with the movie itself other than having the lead be a female. Pay attention.

Bowser 03-10-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14144963)
The political "girl power" stuff is from Larson's mouth outside of the movie while promoting the movie - has nothing to do with the movie itself other than having the lead be a female. Pay attention.

That's kind of what it seemed like leading up to the movie. She can use this movie all she wants to promote whatever world view she'd like, I really couldn't care less. I just want a good Marvel movie as I've come to expect from them, that's it. Just don't go full The Last Jedi on me, and everything will be fine.

Sassy Squatch 03-10-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Meh. Couldn't give any less of a shit what political views the actors I'm currently watching have. I go to the movies to escape reality for a couple of hours.

Mr. Plow 03-10-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14144977)
That's kind of what it seemed like leading up to the movie. She can use this movie all she wants to promote whatever world view she'd like, I really couldn't care less. I just want a good Marvel movie as I've come to expect from them, that's it. Just don't go full The Last Jedi on me, and everything will be fine.

https://i.redd.it/sur51l3cuak21.jpg

Mr. Plow 03-10-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14144987)
Meh. Couldn't give any less of a shit what political views the actors I'm currently watching have. I go to the movies to escape reality for a couple of hours.

Which is exactly how the majority of people feel, myself included.

Bowser 03-10-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14145000)

LMAO

****ing nailed it

KC_Lee 03-10-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

The "girl power" was minimal but my complaint was the "grrrl power" music trope that was used over and over. It was lazy and cliched.

CoMoChief 03-10-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

I just got out of the theater an hour ago and I don’t get any of the fuss about the political stuff.

It’s a solid 7/10 for me. The first half was super slow but after that it was entertaining.

Wrong...it was all over the place, all through out the movie.

Every man in this movie was a doofy, bumbling clown...or a coward.

You can still have strong female and male characters and not go Last Jedi on a film.

This movie had an agenda...that was clear as day, and it was unnecessary. Captain Marvel went full Last Jedi.

Pitt Gorilla 03-10-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14143938)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice grossed $330.4 million in North America and $543.3 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $873.6 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...awn_of_Justice

I don’t get it.

FAX 03-10-2019 09:26 PM

Personally, I think it's super cool that film (like music and tap-dancing) is perceived subjectively.

FAX

listopencil 03-10-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14144524)
They've already 'explained it.'

Ridley was female by casting, there was no femininity in her heroics.

It doesn't count as social progress if you just 'stuntcast' a woman into a man's role. You're not diversifying the actual narratives.

[Don't ask me how they reconcile Sarah Connor being driven by maternal instinct. I'm sure they came up with something about the bourgeoisie and patriarchal roleplay.]

Wow. So now 'they' get to decide what is and what is not feminine? Sounds like a huge load of sexist bullshit.

Buehler445 03-10-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14139653)
Captain Marvel is a fringe character that's never had a following to speak of. So was Ant-Man. It doesn't really matter - Marvel will tell you what to be interested in, I guess.

But as to the idea that she was a normal comic book character - that's not been my understanding. Again; not my wheelhouse, but my understanding was that she was pretty much the comic-book equivalent of a Berkeley Intersectional Feminist from her inception.

{shrug}

Don't care. I've only seen the big 'tentpole' Marvel movies in theatres anyway. I think it's just been Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War. I'll go see Endgame when it comes out.

Everything else I've just waited for on Netflix and have been varying degrees of mindlessly entertained or somewhat disappointed.

Oh, and I just re-watched Black Panther. Seriously - if that thing didn't get embraced by the black community, it could've just as easily been scorned as being crazy racist. I'm watching that movie with people literally throwing spears and howling like gorillas and am wondering who the hell had the balls to make that. I mean that's dancing on a knife's edge right there.

The SJWs could've just as easily decided that it was blacksploitation rather than black empowerment, right? Am I completely nuts? How does taking a shitload of racial tropes from the 40s and applying them to an advanced African tribe (who became advanced simply by happy accident; they were the tribe that landed on the Vibranium) make them NOT racial tropes? There was a ton of cognitive dissonance there.

Holy shit. How did I miss all this? You're spot on best I can tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14144770)
Just saw the movie. All I can say is...meh.

Not a bad movie just not a great one. The Skrull make up looked goofy and amateurish. The "Grrrrrrril" rock songs got old after the second song.

Seems like there was a better movie lurking under the surface, it just couldn't get out.

And one big thing that made no sense...
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

ThaVirus 03-11-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 14144877)
Spoiler!

Thank you.

kcpasco 03-11-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14145108)
Wow. So now 'they' get to decide what is and what is not feminine? Sounds like a huge load of sexist bullshit.

Sigourney Weaver walking around in her panties looked damn feminine to me. And she was badass xenomorph slayer also.

Rams Fan 03-11-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

See post below for why I posted what I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14145064)
Wrong...it was all over the place, all through out the movie.

Every man in this movie was a doofy, bumbling clown...or a coward.

You can still have strong female and male characters and not go Last Jedi on a film.

This movie had an agenda...that was clear as day, and it was unnecessary. Captain Marvel went full Last Jedi.

Deberg_1990 03-11-2019 09:15 PM

It was ok, probably around the middle or bottom of the Marvel series for me. Not even close to the epicness of Black Panther.

I was entertained, but nothing truly special.

The girl power stuff didn't bother me.

Munson 03-11-2019 09:32 PM

I thought it was an underwhelming movie.

Glad I only paid $5 for the early show.

Nickhead 03-11-2019 11:55 PM

irregardless....

this is pretty cool :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2j0gsV9J7Ts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sully 03-12-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14148644)
irregardless....

this is pretty cool :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2j0gsV9J7Ts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Definitely one of the cooler moments in the movie, and I just knew he would be beside himself about it.

Amnorix 03-12-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14148390)
It was ok, probably around the middle or bottom of the Marvel series for me. Not even close to the epicness of Black Panther.

I was entertained, but nothing truly special.

The girl power stuff didn't bother me.

Thanks for saving me the typing exercise. I agree with every word.

My wife thought it was "boring". She was not impressed in the slightest.

SAGA45 03-12-2019 07:45 AM

Really enjoyed the movie. Only thing that bothered me a bit was the Skrulls makeup/acting. They were TOO human....like they were fresh from some convention or something. But overall, good film, especially the 3rd act.

KC_Lee 03-12-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14148817)

Funny you say that, my wife fell asleep during the first half of the movie. I had to keep waking her up and she was excited to see the flick.

Mile High Mania 03-12-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14142542)
Don't get me wrong - it's worth seeing. There are some fun loose ends in the MCU that get tied up a bit. I just don't think her story is all that compelling (and I'm really trying hard not to get stuck in the "because she's a girl" mentality).

My biggest issue is a bit of a spoiler - more about the character than the movie itself, but read at your own risk:

Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14148826)
Funny you say that, my wife fell asleep during the first half of the movie. I had to keep waking her up and she was excited to see the flick.

Both of these takes sum it up for me... I thought the first 20 minutes was a lot of 'meh'. They did an ok job of explaining some things that we've always wondered about in the other films.

I think what we as movie goers like in the hero character is most have a flaw or an ability to fail. As mentioned, Captain Marvel appears to be flawless with the ability to defeat anything and is obviously the most powerful Avenger, so why are the others needed?

I liked the movie, not sure it's a 'stop what you're doing rewatch' on cable like several of the others. Likely outside my top 5 MCU films. I think they could have done a bit more with the Kree/Skrulls character developments. Coulson should have been in it a bit more.

I think Fury needs his own film to fill in the development of his happy go lucky character in Marvel, compared to the serious no-nonsense badass we saw in the earlier MCU films when he was introduced.

A few things I've never really understood ... so the Tesserect. In Captain America, Red Skull drops it and it burns through the plane. The Flerkin hacks it up and it sits on the desk. I guess because it was 'active' when Skull was holding it vs dormant when the Flerkin yacked it up or when they put it in the lunch pail.

And, has Captain America not aged because he was frozen or because of the syrum? Doesn't appear CM ages too much between the origin story vs the Endgames which is what, 20 years later nearly? Same with Bucky... he wasn't frozen for 70 years, but had the super syrum, so I guess that's why those 2 don't age.

Not a comic book nerd, so I'm sure it's all explained.

Too much "girl gets knocked down or disrespected only to rise again" imagery for me. My wife hated it. But, similar to Black Panther... loud rounds of applause as it ended. #socialjusticestuff

Gravedigger 03-12-2019 08:53 AM

I like a transition of power with my superheroes, and I find when they get their powers and they automatically know how to use them perfectly with a snap of the fingers as too much of a stretch for me.

Spoiler!

Fish 03-12-2019 09:13 AM

Yeah, I thought the reveal for why Fury lost his eye was a real letdown.

Mile High Mania 03-12-2019 09:29 AM

And, seeing how audiences reacted to the genuine feel of the comedy that flowed from Guardians and then Deadpool... MCU has jumped the shark a bit with continuing the theme in movies like Ragnarok and now this one with Fury and the cat, the Skrulls, etc.

DJ's left nut 03-12-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14149054)

{googles}

Are you !@#$ing kidding me?

{sigh....}

Gravedigger 03-12-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Running with scissors would've made more sense, and been even slightly more humorous.

The Franchise 03-12-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14149168)
{googles}

{sigh....}

Just googled it.

The ****, Marvel? Are you ****ing serious?

KC_Lee 03-12-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Nick Fury in Winter Soldier; " Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."

Nick Fury in Capt. Marvel; "Ouch. Goose just scratched me", looses eye.

Come on Marvel Studio, at least stay consistent in your lore.

Sure-Oz 03-12-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14149199)

He trusted the cat!!!

I enjoyed the movie but it's definitely weaker compared to most.

Captain Marvel being nearly invincible doesn't bother me, she's basically Marvel's Superman. Probably could've shown her figuring out her powers more though.

DaFace 03-12-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14149199)

I never know when in these threads to abandon spoiler tags, but...

Spoiler!

KC_Lee 03-12-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14149212)
I never know when in these threads to abandon spoiler tags, but...

Spoiler!

Yeah but take the context of what & how Fury said he lost is eye in Winter Soldier and how it apparently happened. In on it's super serious and the other it's played for a laugh.

Sure-Oz 03-12-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14149229)
Yeah but take the context of what & how Fury said he lost is eye in Winter Soldier and how it apparently happened. In on it's super serious and the other it's played for a laugh.

Would you admit a cat scratched your eye out lol

DaFace 03-12-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14149229)

If you're going to start coming down hard on Marvel having slight inconsistencies with characterizations throughout the series, you're gonna have a bad time.

KC_Lee 03-12-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14149245)
If you're going to start coming down hard on Marvel having slight inconsistencies with characterizations throughout the series, you're gonna have a bad time.

I was hoping that Fury's eye loss was part of Capt. Marvel. Actually thought he might lose it in his first fight with Talos.

DaFace 03-12-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 14149255)
I was hoping that Fury's eye loss was part of Capt. Marvel. Actually thought he might lose it in his first fight with Talos.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it wasn't a bit lame. I'm just saying that it's not "inconsistent" per se.

JD10367 03-12-2019 12:17 PM

Not sure why people have a problem with “Captain Marvel”. I thought it was very good and I put it in my top tier of Marvel movies along with “Black Panther”, “The Avengers”, “Iron Man”, “Deadpool”, “Guardians of the Galaxy”, and the three “Captain America” films (and a notch above “Doctor Strange” and “Ant-Man”). The music fit the period. The story, while complicated in parts and draggy in parts, told the story it wanted to tell (and honestly I don't know what I would've done to make it any better). Brie Larsen was very good, actually probably better than almost all Marvel actors aside from RDJ (who was simply born to play Tony Stark); I didn't find her wooden at all, and she had strength and humor. The girl-power stuff was in there, but it wasn't overdone or overbearing (no more so than any other female-powered piece of media, be it “Wonder Woman” or “Aliens” or the “Buffy” TV series). To quote the great poet Madonna (“Human Nature”), I can't help but chalk up a lot of the hate of this film to “would it sound better if I were a man”, because if Brie Larsen was Bob Larsen I don't think anyone would be complaining.

Sully 03-12-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14148998)
I like a transition of power with my superheroes, and I find when they get their powers and they automatically know how to use them perfectly with a snap of the fingers as too much of a stretch for me.

Spoiler!

I get the transition thing. i really do.

But it's rare that a superhero, after getting their powers, isn't suddenly the most skilled hand-to-hand/acrobatic combatant ever to live with zero training.
Kinda gotta let go a bit.

Demonpenz 03-12-2019 12:38 PM

Anyone knows cats knows you can't trust them derr

Setsuna 03-12-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 14149653)
I get the transition thing. i really do.

But it's rare that a superhero, after getting their powers, isn't suddenly the most skilled hand-to-hand/acrobatic combatant ever to live with zero training.
Kinda gotta let go a bit.

Let's see. Tony Stark didn't have full control over his suit when he first donned it. Captain America didn't either as shown in the the chase scene just minutes after he transformed. Spider-Man obviously took a while to understand his stuff. Thor is like 100 years old by the time his first movie came out. Scarlett and her bro were mutants from birth and were adults when we saw their powers so they had time to learn. Black Panther was a warrior prince trained from birth and his power up enhanced all his knowledge of fighting. Dr. Strange trained his butt off before he really came to the forefront. Ant Man had a learning curve as well. Banner is still learning how to turn on and off his powers and think clearly while green. If I missed someone let me know. Marvel has carefully made sure our super heroes had to go through something to get where they are now or they already were in the prime of their powers when they were introduced. So you are wrong. :rolleyes:

Sassy Squatch 03-12-2019 01:17 PM

Not gonna lie. I laughed when it happened.

Fish 03-12-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14149168)
{googles}

{sigh....}

The execution of it in the film was even worse than the premise.

Spoiler!

FAX 03-12-2019 02:01 PM

Out of adversity, greatness can emerge!!!

I had a thought-thing. Not much of one, to be sure, but I've had it a couple of times. So here 'tis ...

I was sort of hoping that Marvel would release an absolute bomb. The reason is that I fear they are beginning to display complacency and I also sense that they have been adversely affected by the oversized Disney thumb up their patoot.

In retrospect (viewing the franchise in its entirety), Marvel has done a truly phenomenal thing. They've been so successful, in fact, that other studios have tried to replicate their formula. That's flattery.

But after a while, any producer or company can begin to see themselves as bullet-proof and taking one between the eyes can teach them a newfound respect for their audience.

Feige (sp?) has done an awesome thing. But he got a little lucky with his casting of RDJ and his choice of Favreau as director to kick things off. They've had miscues along the way, but for the most part, they've been winning ... both with fans and with the bank receipts.

A loss from time to time can refocus a company.

FAX

DaFace 03-12-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14149793)
Let's see. Tony Stark didn't have full control over his suit when he first donned it. Captain America didn't either as shown in the the chase scene just minutes after he transformed. Spider-Man obviously took a while to understand his stuff. Thor is like 100 years old by the time his first movie came out. Scarlett and her bro were mutants from birth and were adults when we saw their powers so they had time to learn. Black Panther was a warrior prince trained from birth and his power up enhanced all his knowledge of fighting. Dr. Strange trained his butt off before he really came to the forefront. Ant Man had a learning curve as well. Banner is still learning how to turn on and off his powers and think clearly while green. If I missed someone let me know. Marvel has carefully made sure our super heroes had to go through something to get where they are now or they already were in the prime of their powers when they were introduced. So you are wrong. :rolleyes:

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, this was my biggest issue. The whole thing was just too easy. She didn't have to earn it, which makes it all feel a bit hollow.

I don't have a huge issue with the movie as a whole, and I thought Larsen was fine for what it was. The character itself is just weak, and I worry a bit if she's supposed to be a centerpiece of the MCU in the future.

Sully 03-12-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

You make good points. I stand corrected.

Fish 03-12-2019 03:11 PM

https://i.imgur.com/e2KvFaR.jpg

Hawk 03-12-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14150198)

That's just dumb and completely inaccurate. People putting together crap like this have a bigger agenda than the movie makers did.

Spoiler!

Deberg_1990 03-12-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14148817)

Alot of it was just bland.

Also, i really like Brie Larson as an actress. Ive seen her in some good films, but i think shes miscast a little bit here. Just my opinion.....

mr. tegu 03-12-2019 07:25 PM

Captain Marvel

I didn’t have a problem with her becoming really powerful because of the time from when she got the powers until she really unleashes years had passed for her to feel them and learn about them. She didn’t know exactly what they could do but she did know they were more powerful than what she had been doing with them.

Rausch 03-12-2019 11:51 PM

Well, it's made over $400 million opening weekend so it's done well enough to get the sequel and move along as planned.

Love it or hate it we'll see more of it and Feige's comments back that up. Disney isn't stupid - they learned from TLJ. They put the MCU's first SJW film right before what is perhaps the most anticipated film in history. Even if Endgame is a terrible movie it will hit $1 billion. It might do that it's first week.

There will be no protest by fans who hated this film staying home for the next one. No one who enjoys the MCU is boycotting Endgame. Carl Manvers will have a successful origin move and will be in a successful Endgame movie.

Disney has no motivation to change anything they're planning - and at the end of this moth the Fox deal is final. They'll have an entire Marvel universe to play with (minus exclusive rights to Hulk and Spidey) and you'll buy their product or walk away...

arrowheadnation 03-13-2019 06:38 AM

THEY STILL DIDN'T EXPLAIN A GOOD ENOUGH REASON FOR WHY FURY WOULDN'T HAVE CALLED HER IN FOR THE EVENTS OF AVENGERS 1, 2, or the START OF INFINITY WAR!....that's my only gripe still. Otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Sure-Oz 03-13-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14152954)
THEY STILL DIDN'T EXPLAIN A GOOD ENOUGH REASON FOR WHY FURY WOULDN'T HAVE CALLED HER IN FOR THE EVENTS OF AVENGERS 1, 2, or the START OF INFINITY WAR!....that's my only gripe still. Otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Maybe it gets explained in end game...also they found their other heroes.

DaFace 03-13-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Chronologically, none of those had happened yet during the events of CM. If they explain that, it'll be during Endgame.

Gravedigger 03-13-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

You have to let it go, by your mindset why weren't the Xmen, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, etc in either of these Infinity War movies? Technically she told him it's only for emergencies; in Avengers 1 Fury had faith that the team could take down the threat, even telling his higher ups not to nuke the city when the invasion was going on so maybe it didn't reach "Emergency" level yet. In Avengers 2 they had the situation as under control as it could be and were down to destroying the floating city and evacuating it, not necessarily Captain Marvel necessity. Oh yeah and the last thing, because they hadn't thought to bring in Captain Marvel into the MCU when those movies were made and hadn't cast the actress yet.

Shaid 03-13-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14149639)
Not sure why people have a problem with “Captain Marvel”. I thought it was very good and I put it in my top tier of Marvel movies along with “Black Panther”, “The Avengers”, “Iron Man”, “Deadpool”, “Guardians of the Galaxy”, and the three “Captain America” films (and a notch above “Doctor Strange” and “Ant-Man”). The music fit the period. The story, while complicated in parts and draggy in parts, told the story it wanted to tell (and honestly I don't know what I would've done to make it any better). Brie Larsen was very good, actually probably better than almost all Marvel actors aside from RDJ (who was simply born to play Tony Stark); I didn't find her wooden at all, and she had strength and humor. The girl-power stuff was in there, but it wasn't overdone or overbearing (no more so than any other female-powered piece of media, be it “Wonder Woman” or “Aliens” or the “Buffy” TV series). To quote the great poet Madonna (“Human Nature”), I can't help but chalk up a lot of the hate of this film to “would it sound better if I were a man”, because if Brie Larsen was Bob Larsen I don't think anyone would be complaining.

I thought it was good as well but no, it doesn't hit that top echelon of movies for me at all. It was a solid movie, good introduction to the character that is gonna "save the Universe", etc. I don't feel an immediate need to go watch it again.

Hawk 03-13-2019 02:46 PM

It's an origin story, and to me it fell in line with other Marvel origin stories like Thor and the first Captain America movie and Black Panther in terms of quality (Iron Man is still the best origin movie of the bunch). Like the other origin stories, it's a good, solid, entertaining movie, but not in my top group of favorite Marvel movies. I have enjoyed all the Marvel movies, and I enjoyed this one, but it falls middle of the pack for me.

CoMoChief 03-13-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14150198)

LMAO

bowener 03-14-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

And Captain Marvel trained as a soldier, then for 6 years as some kind of warrior apprentice where she learned how to use a weakened version of her powers. When she does get full control of them there are several scenes where she ****s up trying to aim or use them right. So, if your argument is that she suddenly had her power thrust upon her and could manage them perfectly, you are an idiot or didn't actually watch the movie.

My review of the film is a C, if you were curious. I found it boring, and though the story was worth telling, they did it poorly. CM suffers from the same issue that super man does, namely that they are so ****ing powerful there is literally no reason to doubt they will win every time. Every story with them is a foregone conclusion.

FAX 03-14-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14157362)

My review of the film is a C, if you were curious. I found it boring, and though the story was worth telling, they did it poorly. CM suffers from the same issue that super man does, namely that they are so ****ing powerful there is literally no reason to doubt they will win every time. Every story with them is a foregone conclusion.

I Super Agree with this.

The only conceivable way that you can write an arc for Superman or Captain Marvel is to create tension and strife associated with their "human" aspect - as opposed to their powers. Resolution has no impact, purpose, or meaning without some form of personal struggle.

In CM's case, that would involve some form of conflict dealing with a female. As a writer, this of course, leads you to consider something like menopausal cramps, or a kitchen cooking failure, or an online makeup purchase gone bad, or something similar. And if you do that the fanboys would hate it.

FAX

Mr. Plow 03-14-2019 04:05 PM

Headed to see it tonight.

2112 03-14-2019 04:16 PM

It did it’s job as an intro for the character into end game. And that was it’s purpose

Raiderhater 03-14-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14157849)
I Super Agree with this.

The only conceivable way that you can write an arc for Superman or Captain Marvel is to create tension and strife associated with their "human" aspect - as opposed to their powers. Resolution has no impact, purpose, or meaning without some form of personal struggle.

In CM's case, that would involve some form of conflict dealing with a female. As a writer, this of course, leads you to consider something like menopausal cramps, or a kitchen cooking failure, or an online makeup purchase gone bad, or something similar. And if you do that the fanboys would hate it.

FAX

LMAO

Sassy Squatch 03-14-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14157362)
And Captain Marvel trained as a soldier, then for 6 years as some kind of warrior apprentice where she learned how to use a weakened version of her powers. When she does get full control of them there are several scenes where she ****s up trying to aim or use them right. So, if your argument is that she suddenly had her power thrust upon her and could manage them perfectly, you are an idiot or didn't actually watch the movie.

Yeah. Does Captain Marvel have a 'kryptonite' like Superman does?

notorious 03-14-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14158420)

Wedding cake is kryptonite to her sex drive.

Mr. Plow 03-14-2019 08:20 PM

I'm going to put some thought into the movie, but my initial reaction is about what I thought it would be..... meh. Not bad, not great. Initial feeling is lower half of the Marvel movies. Maybe around the original Captain America.... I'm one of the ones that likes that movie though.

Felt like all the "strong woman" moments fit the movie - nothing seem really out of place other than the "I'm just a girl" song playing during the final fight. Not necessarily the song, but just didn't fit the scene in my opinion.

I think someone explained it earlier, but I'm too lazy to look it up - how did the tesseract end up in space?

Mr. Plow 03-14-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Me & my boys talked about that on the way home - what's her "weakness" or is she like a super Superman?

CoMoChief 03-14-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14158505)
Me & my boys talked about that on the way home - what's her "weakness" or is she like a super Superman?

She can fly jets....but I'd bet $1000 that she can't parallel park.

DaFace 03-14-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14158499)
I think someone explained it earlier, but I'm too lazy to look it up - how did the tesseract end up in space?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bmfIy6O3eLY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 03-15-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Maybe if you can get her to actually smile she'll burst into flames.

That may just be the actress who plays her, though.

DaFace 03-15-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14159271)
Maybe if you can get her to actually smile she'll burst into flames.

That may just be the actress who plays her, though.

Is there something I missed where this sentiment comes from? She's always been pretty bubbly when I've seen her.

Frazod 03-15-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14159490)
Is there something I missed where this sentiment comes from? She's always been pretty bubbly when I've seen her.

I just don't remember ever seeing a picture of her when she was actually smiling. I assume she has teeth; I just haven't seen them.