ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

BigRichard 03-23-2017 07:10 AM

Just about to cut the cable here and I am looking for some advice. I wanted to have a way to DVR local channels so was considering doing HDHomeRun with Plex. Anyone use this? Are there better options for recording live TV?

Keep in mind I want this to be as simple as possible. My wife will be using it and I can hear her bitching already about having to do twenty things to watch a show. Ugh

DaFace 03-23-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 12794224)
Just about to cut the cable here and I am looking for some advice. I wanted to have a way to DVR local channels so was considering doing HDHomeRun with Plex. Anyone use this? Are there better options for recording live TV?

Keep in mind I want this to be as simple as possible. My wife will be using it and I can hear her bitching already about having to do twenty things to watch a show. Ugh

If you want simple, I'd recommend Tablo.

BigRichard 03-24-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12794760)
If you want simple, I'd recommend Tablo.

I will look into it. Thanks!

007 03-24-2017 04:10 PM

Decided to do one month of Sling TV to get the Roku stick free. I prefer the fire tv over it. No kodi sucks

bevischief 03-24-2017 10:02 PM

Which one is the best bang for the buck to jailbreak?

bevischief 03-24-2017 10:03 PM

Already have a smart tv with Roku built in.

Fish 03-25-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 12796826)
Which one is the best bang for the buck to jailbreak?

FireTV is probably still the best KODI device as far as price and capability. It doesn't require jailbreaking.

NewChief 05-11-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12797101)
FireTV is probably still the best KODI device as far as price and capability. It doesn't require jailbreaking.

Just confirming this is still the case. My GBox MX2 has crapped out. Fired it up last night. Kodi no longer installed. Installed a new version of Kodi (Krypton), and the display was weird and jittery. Decided to update firmware. Did so and now it won't even boot into Android.

I might screw around with it a bit more, but I've been pretty dissatisfied with performance of it lately anyway and thinking it's time to just pull the trigger on a new device.

Fish 05-11-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12867675)
Just confirming this is still the case. My GBox MX2 has crapped out. Fired it up last night. Kodi no longer installed. Installed a new version of Kodi (Krypton), and the display was weird and jittery. Decided to update firmware. Did so and now it won't even boot into Android.

I might screw around with it a bit more, but I've been pretty dissatisfied with performance of it lately anyway and thinking it's time to just pull the trigger on a new device.

Yeah, get the FireTV gen2. It supports 64bit, 4K, and has good enough hardware to be viable for some time.

blake5676 06-09-2017 03:04 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as the best plan of attack with the most current or up to date version of Kodi?

I just got a new Firestick with Alexa voice control. From my brief bit of research it appears that I need Kodi version 17.3 I think? I've seen conflicting reports on whether I should load through ES Explorer or use Downloader.

If there is a link or tutorial somewhere in here that I'm missing I apologize...you can just point me to the post # too and I'll take a look. Thanks in advance!

Fish 06-09-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 12909925)
Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as the best plan of attack with the most current or up to date version of Kodi?

I just got a new Firestick with Alexa voice control. From my brief bit of research it appears that I need Kodi version 17.3 I think? I've seen conflicting reports on whether I should load through ES Explorer or use Downloader.

If there is a link or tutorial somewhere in here that I'm missing I apologize...you can just point me to the post # too and I'll take a look. Thanks in advance!

I think the easiest way is to use adbLink. Here's the full instructions including download links: https://www.tvaddons.ag/firetv-kodi-adblink/