ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Gillette (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320438)

Fishpicker 01-15-2019 02:52 PM

no. Gillette is targeting women in general because women are responsible for 80% of consumer spending.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5PaRn2-YfTI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 01-15-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041536)
no. Gillette is targeting women in general because women are responsible for 80% of consumer spending.

There's a lot of women that don't like the video at all. The #metoo movement is actually relatively small, statistically speaking.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041535)
Who are they targeting then?

The suggestion was that they were targeting a younger demographic, specifically audiences on platforms like YouTube. By a 3:1, their YouTube audience HATES it.

If you're suggesting they're marketing to somebody other than what has been suggested, that's a fair point.

If you're suggesting that people here are just reacting because THEY don't like it, that's not valid. The overwhelming majority of viewers so far don't like it.

The majority of viewers is based on your read on the reactions. They don't care about general population. They care about their target audience. If I had to guess, they're targeting millennials and younger because they are prime targets in the razor category. Older customers are not. Many are brand loyal by now and despite their outrage, not many will switch to a razor they hate to protest an ad. Not the approach I take because they may have alienated many of their best customers. But basically, if this does really well with younger men they won't give two shits about how many older customers they lose.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14041578)
The majority of viewers is based on your read on the reactions. They don't care about general population. They care about their target audience. If I had to guess, they're targeting millennials and younger because they are prime targets in the razor category. Older customers are not. Many are brand loyal by now and despite their outrage, not many will switch to a razor they hate to protest an ad. Not the approach I take because they may have alienated many of their best customers. But basically, if this does really well with younger men they won't give two shits about how many older customers they lose.

Who uses YouTube the most? The exact audience they want to target.

It has 350,000 down votes and only 1/3 as many likes. How could anybody spin that as a win?

Fishpicker has a point - if they're targeting women, at least this isn't as bad a sign. But if they're targeting millennials males, this is bad. There's no way to say otherwise.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041536)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5PaRn2-YfTI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You both are probably right. Females are probably a big part of the strategy since they both influence male razor purchase but also buy razors of their own. But many could view over patronizing to be a turnoff. Again... I get the strategy but the execution seems really weak.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041596)
Who uses YouTube the most? The exact audience they want to target.

It has 350,000 down votes and only 1/3 as many likes. How could anybody spin that as a win?

Fishpicker has a point - if they're targeting women, at least this isn't as bad a sign. But if they're targeting millennials males, this is bad. There's no way to say otherwise.

I don't think up or downvoting is necessarily an indicator that millennials reject the ad. Even if adults use YouTube less, every single person triggered by the as is going to go to the ad and vote. So I'd be careful with that kind of metric. Again, I personally didn't like the ad and could easily see if younger folks thought it was too pc... But that is only what I see. The true marker is how Gillette carries this campaign future forward. If they insist on sticking with it with minimal tweaks they're seeing something we're not.

Stormageddon 01-15-2019 03:19 PM

https://youtu.be/9fWxCIi5PIw

htismaqe 01-15-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14041623)
I don't think up or downvoting is necessarily an indicator that millennials reject the ad. Even if adults use YouTube less, every single person triggered by the as is going to go to the ad and vote. So I'd be careful with that kind of metric. Again, I personally didn't like the ad and could easily see if younger folks thought it was too pc... But that is only what I see. The true marker is how Gillette carries this campaign future forward. If they insist on sticking with it with minimal tweaks they're seeing something we're not.

"Triggering" affects both sides, though. That's why you saw the thing with 100K down votes and 10K likes at one point - because the "against" crowd was showing up to down vote it.

It evened out over time yesterday because once the "for" crowd caught wind of what the "against" crowd was doing, they did the same thing.

In essence, social media "triggering" or backlash or whatever you want to call it, usually serves to only inflate total vote counts, not just one side or the other. But I'm speaking in generalities of course.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041652)
"Triggering" affects both sides, though. That's why you saw the thing with 100K down votes and 10K likes at one point - because the "against" crowd was showing up to down vote it.

It evened out over time yesterday because once the "for" crowd caught wind of what the "against" crowd was doing, they did the same thing.

In essence, social media "triggering" or backlash or whatever you want to call it, usually serves to only inflate total vote counts, not just one side or the other. But I'm speaking in generalities of course.

Im just talking about how YouTube being a younger media doesn't mean the vote results are representative of a younger audience. Lots of older adults undoubtedly voted even when they usually don't vote on videos.

And these votes are heavily biased to triggered reactions. Those who despised it and those who loved it. Especially for millennials, I'm sure there are tons who have a reaction, but aren't really triggered either way. That's a really significant part of the target audience.

Again...i tend to agree millennials probably found the ad too patronizing. But I'd just be careful relying on our interpretation of public reaction. I'd pay a lot more attention to how Gillette responds.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14041702)
Im just talking about how YouTube being a younger media doesn't mean the vote results are representative of a younger audience. Lots of older adults undoubtedly voted even when they usually don't vote on videos.

And these votes are heavily biased to triggered reactions. Those who despised it and those who loved it. Especially for millennials, I'm sure there are tons who have a reaction, but aren't really triggered either way.

Again...i tend to agree millennials probably found the ad too patronizing. But I'd just be careful relying on our interpretation of public reaction. I'd pay a lot more attention to how Gillette responds.

Okay, I get that.

Then again, if your argument is that most people just weren't moved enough to click thumbs up or thumbs down, how are they going to be moved enough to buy Gillette over some other brand?

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 03:38 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/iJxHzcuNcCJXi/giphy.gif

Rams Fan 01-15-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14040531)
I don't know what's "PC" about the message, "Hey, don't be a dick. Be better than that." I know, I know - back in my day, we used to pound those nerds into oblivion and now they're CEOs, so it must have worked right?

Literally NO ONE is saying masculinity is bad; the reference is toward toxic masculinity, and I'm sure it's something we've all taken apart of at some point in our lives here. Bullying, demeaning, undermining, mansplaining, etc.

Why wouldn't you want to grow and be the best version of you you can be? That's the message here. Christ.

The thing is, what's portrayed in the ad, isn't "toxic masculinity".

Sexual harassment, sexual assault, etc. can be done by both men and women. Those are legal crimes. Portraying it as only a male issue is dumb and wrong.

Do I agree with the message that I think Gillete is trying to portray that bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated? Yes. Do I think that scape goating it and making it seem as a social norm and only a male issue is the right way to go about it? **** no.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 14041735)
The thing is, what's portrayed in the ad, isn't "toxic masculinity".

Sexual harassment, sexual assault, etc. can be done by both men and women. Those are legal crimes. Portraying it as only a male issue is dumb and wrong.

Do I agree with the message that I think Gillete is trying to portray that bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated? Yes. Do I think that scape goating it and making it seem as a social norm and only a male issue is the right way to go about it? **** no.

Beer is consumed by both men and women. Who do you think beer commercials are targeting? And why would that be?

Fishpicker 01-15-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041652)

this is true.

consider the following
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovY6yjTe1LE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this vid used to have a down-skewed ratio. now it has 7k up vs 5k down.

BIG_DADDY 01-15-2019 03:58 PM

1. Laser hair removal for the women.
2. Harry's for the men 10x better.
3. **** Gillette the best a Metro can get.

On a real note having a son I can tell you that everyone I know says girls are much more cruel and the bullying is far worse.

Last I checked hitting on a woman wasn't uncool and saying sweetie is far from over the top.

I have never in my life seen adults not break up kids legitimately fighting so I am not sure what that is all about. Wrestling and grappling is all good if they are both wanting to do it so I am not sure about that either. My son is in a very high testosterone environment competing in multiple martial arts. He is also the most anti-bully kid you will ever meet so once again the assumptions they make are incorrect. He quit getting involved with protecting girls from other girls though because in his own words, girls are crazy.