ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Deberg_1990 11-13-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 5215773)
I heard that too, I'm sure within a few years it will be a punchline on par with Gigli

Why do production companies do this to themselves??

Take for instance, the great instant classic, Disaster Movie. Who green lit that trainwreck?

Who initially thinks these will make money? They made 10 Million less than their budget!

My guess is those flicks are very cheap to make. Plus, they make a ton of money back on DVD even if they flop at the theater.

PhillyChiefFan 11-13-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5215826)
My guess is those flicks are very cheap to make. Plus, they make a ton of money back on DVD even if they flop at the theater.

True about the DVD. But I read on IMDB that the movie cost 25 Million to make on only made 14 in the theaters.

But your right about the DVD sales, they probably make up for the lost revenue at the movies.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 5216244)
True about the DVD. But I read on IMDB that the movie cost 25 Million to make on only made 14 in the theaters.

But your right about the DVD sales, they probably make up for the lost revenue at the movies.

DVD sales generate roughly twice the box office gross. In many cases, it's far more (Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery being a prime example).

Deberg_1990 11-13-2008 03:04 PM

I expect The Dark Knight DVD sales to go through the roof in a few weeks.

PhillyChiefFan 11-13-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5216264)
DVD sales generate roughly twice the box office gross. In many cases, it's far more (Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery being a prime example).

Guess that's how cult classics start.

PhillyChiefFan 11-13-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5216292)
I expect The Dark Knight DVD sales to go through the roof in a few weeks.

I'll be buying it, and Iron Man. I don't buy that many movies, but I just really liked both of them.

irishjayhawk 11-13-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 5216293)
Guess that's how cult classics start.

It's also why I think you'll start to see television networks greenlight multiple seasons at a time. DVD usually means that a show will catch on post-cancellation. This indicates two things: people will love shows regardless of their "ratings" while they ran and they can make boat loads of money after the run of the show.

I think the television industry has yet to catch on to that.

PhillyChiefFan 11-13-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5216298)
It's also why I think you'll start to see television networks greenlight multiple seasons at a time. DVD usually means that a show will catch on post-cancellation. This indicates two things: people will love shows regardless of their "ratings" while they ran and they can make boat loads of money after the run of the show.

I think the television industry has yet to catch on to that.

I have noticed that even in shows that I had long forgotten and had no desire to watch again, I saw Full House on the shelves at Best Buy. I just can't believe that there are THAT many people out there that would purchase all seasons of Full House.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the DVD sales part of the reason for the return of Family Guy though??

irishjayhawk 11-13-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 5216321)
I have noticed that even in shows that I had long forgotten and had no desire to watch again, I saw Full House on the shelves at Best Buy. I just can't believe that there are THAT many people out there that would purchase all seasons of Full House.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the DVD sales part of the reason for the return of Family Guy though??

Yes. It's also why Arrested Development's movie, if it ever happens, as well as a Veronica Mars movie, will kill at the box office. It's thanks to the DVDs. Because the networks cancelled both.

DVDs make it extremely obvious to people if a network is dumb. Just take AD, VM, Firefly, and countless others. They weren't viewed as mistakes by the station until the dvds were released.

OnTheWarpath15 11-15-2008 06:51 PM

I ran a search of the thread, but it came back with no responses...

Has anyone seen Transsiberian?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800241/

92% at Rotten Tomatoes, I picked it up at Blockbuster tonight to watch with the wife over some Chinese food.

Anyone?

mikeyis4dcats. 11-16-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5221439)

92% at Rotten Tomatoes, I picked it up at Blockbuster tonight to watch with the wife over some Chinese food.

Anyone?

saw it last week, but i was a bit underwhelmed given the RT score

Miles 11-16-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5221439)

Anyone?

I watched it a few days ago and thought it was a pretty solid thriller. Well worth a watch.

Sure-Oz 11-18-2008 01:48 PM

Anyone buy Wall-E or Tropic Thunder on Blu-Ray today?

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go-Oz (Post 5230205)
Anyone buy Wall-E or Tropic Thunder on Blu-Ray today?

I'll probably pick up Wall*E on BluRay before I head home. Will rent Tropic Thunder.

Sure-Oz 11-18-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5230278)
I'll probably pick up Wall*E on BluRay before I head home. Will rent Tropic Thunder.

There is a 2 disc and 3 disc version for bluray of Wall-E.

I got the 2 disc its $26.99 at best buy, the 3 disc is $29.99 and comes iwth a digital copy too.