ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Miles 11-11-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 5208146)
I'm getting Hellboy 2 for sure.

It's a great movie, but I don't want it on Bluray. I don't see the point in HD DVD's. The increased frame denesity just makes the movies look more harsh. I much prefer that "film" look. There is a glowing softness to those older movies that is much more expressive than today's garish HD look. In fact, a lot of the filmmakers I know are talking about switching to that "film look" for their digital cameras...so what's the point in Bluray? It's great for animation detail, but overall I like the look of standard DVD's much better.

To each his own I guess. Just like DVD's, there are production issues with Blu-Ray like excessive edge enhancement which varies disc to disc. I do prefer the "film look" to the HD you are talking about but IMO, it really doesn't seem to be the defining difference between low res DVD's and Blu-Ray.

Deberg_1990 11-11-2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 5208146)
I'm getting Hellboy 2 for sure.

It's a great movie, but I don't want it on Bluray. I don't see the point in HD DVD's. The increased frame denesity just makes the movies look more harsh. I much prefer that "film" look. There is a glowing softness to those older movies that is much more expressive than today's garish HD look. In fact, a lot of the filmmakers I know are talking about switching to that "film look" for their digital cameras...so what's the point in Bluray? It's great for animation detail, but overall I like the look of standard DVD's much better.

Yea, i know what you mean about Blue Ray. Some movies have this weird unnatural look about them that im not sure the director intended??

Anyhow, im the prices better start coming down soon on discs and players or Blue Ray will never become mainstream.

Sure-Oz 11-11-2008 10:10 AM

I think blurays should be $20 or less imo as well, right now getting them on sale is between $22-27 and thats still high but normal prices are $29+

irishjayhawk 11-11-2008 12:37 PM

Anyone think this looks good?

http://movies.apple.com/movies/fox_s...640&height=272

Deberg_1990 11-11-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go-Oz (Post 5210193)
I think blurays should be $20 or less imo as well, right now getting them on sale is between $22-27 and thats still high but normal prices are $29+

Another hinderance ive always said about Blue Ray gaining wide acceptance is that regular DVD's already look "good enough" for most people.

ZERO incentive to upgrade for alot of people right now.

irishjayhawk 11-11-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5211459)
Another hinderance ive always said about Blue Ray gaining wide acceptance is that regular DVD's already look "good enough" for most people.

ZERO incentive to upgrade for alot of people right now.

It's all a sideshow. Digital Downloads are the wave of the future. That's why, in my opinion, Apple (who was a backer of BluRay) hasn't pushed it.

Deberg_1990 11-11-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5211675)
It's all a sideshow. Digital Downloads are the wave of the future. That's why, in my opinion, Apple (who was a backer of BluRay) hasn't pushed it.

I agree.

Miles 11-11-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5211675)

I tend to agree but it doesn't seem that there is enough bandwidth to make it work anytime soon for high res. 1080p with lossless audio takes up a ton of storage space.

Jawshco 11-11-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5210588)

It's certainly an interesting concept for a movie. I'll rent it when it comes out at the video store.

Sure-Oz 11-12-2008 09:00 AM

I just don't see digital downloads being the MAIN thing who knows, i think people like to "own" an actual "hard" copy of movies etc

I did get hellboy 2 from BB for $27

irishjayhawk 11-12-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5211834)
I tend to agree but it doesn't seem that there is enough bandwidth to make it work anytime soon for high res. 1080p with lossless audio takes up a ton of storage space.

With 1 TB drives at bluray prices, it seems pretty easy.

However, the one thing conspiring against this is the cable companies. They may, like my current one, install bandwidth caps which would kill this business. I don't like paying for things twice.

irishjayhawk 11-12-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go-Oz (Post 5212768)
I just don't see digital downloads being the MAIN thing who knows, i think people like to "own" an actual "hard" copy of movies etc

I did get hellboy 2 from BB for $27

Not too hard. Most people have DVD burners.

blaise 11-13-2008 10:25 AM

I recently read that they're remaking the Karate Kid and casting Will Smith's son as the Karate Kid.
I'm sure it'll be just as fantastic as the Bad News Bears remake.

PhillyChiefFan 11-13-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5215546)
I recently read that they're remaking the Karate Kid and casting Will Smith's son as the Karate Kid.
I'm sure it'll be just as fantastic as the Bad News Bears remake.

I heard that too, I'm sure within a few years it will be a punchline on par with Gigli

Why do production companies do this to themselves??

Take for instance, the great instant classic, Disaster Movie. Who green lit that trainwreck?

Who initially thinks these will make money? They made 10 Million less than their budget!

PhillyChiefFan 11-13-2008 11:47 AM

Where's DaneMcCloud when you need him?? :)