ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Any Bourbon drinkers out there? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186121)

KCTitus 09-10-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12416076)
The first time I tried it I was smoking a cigar at the time. I thought it was delicious. Then the cigar finished and I took another drink and about spit it out.

No idea how that stuff is as popular as it is.

Yeah...I would not recommend that with a cigar. Someone recommended it to me years ago and I got a bottle. After it was finished I wished I would have just bought 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace.

I cannot get BT around here anymore, it sells too quick. Forget trying to find a bottle of Pappy...sigh

Bewbies 09-10-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12416087)
Yeah...I would not recommend that with a cigar. Someone recommended it to me years ago and I got a bottle. After it was finished I wished I would have just bought 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace.

I cannot get BT around here anymore, it sells too quick. Forget trying to find a bottle of Pappy...sigh

I live in Atlanta, we've got bourbon coming out of our ears. It's funny to read on here about difficulty buying Makers or BT, I can literally go buy a pallet off the stuff at any liquor store in town. I'd be willing to say I can buy this 100% of the time at any store that sells liquor here.

Now Pappy is impossible to find, but otherwise bourbon is easy.

phisherman 09-11-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12416094)
I live in Atlanta, we've got bourbon coming out of our ears. It's funny to read on here about difficulty buying Makers or BT, I can literally go buy a pallet off the stuff at any liquor store in town. I'd be willing to say I can buy this 100% of the time at any store that sells liquor here.

This, 100%.

I don't see how it is possible that you can't find regular Buffalo Trace and lots of it. We are swimming in it here in KC.

Titty Meat 09-11-2016 08:48 AM

Got the Evan Williams black label 12 bucks for a 750 it's not bad at all. After what happened last night in Westport I'll be drinking at home from now on.

R Clark 09-11-2016 08:50 AM

Get your ass kicked last night?

Titty Meat 09-11-2016 08:51 AM

Nope 6 people got shot

penguinz 09-11-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12415846)
Interesting...when did this change? You have a link, I'm sure.

edit:

I went to angelsenvy.com and they still call it "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey finished in Port Wine Barrels"...

Bourbon must be aged in brand new barrels which are made of white oak and have been charred on the inside. Brands determine the varying levels of char for their barrels from 1 to 4.

Nothing can be added at bottling except water. Nothing is added that might enhance flavor, add sweetness or alter color.

lewdog 09-22-2016 05:45 PM

They had another 30% off sale at Fry's grocery.

Got the Bulleit rye for $17.50, Bulleit 10 year for $25.09, small batch Knob Creek for $24.49 and Russell Reserve for $24.49.

Another WINNING day.

http://i.imgur.com/7x1UdSV.jpg

Indian Chief 09-22-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12442824)
They had another 30% off sale at Fry's grocery.

Got the Bulleit rye for $17.50, Bulleit 10 year for $25.09, small batch Knob Creek for $24.49 and Russell Reserve for $24.49.

Another WINNING day.

http://i.imgur.com/7x1UdSV.jpg

That's a sweet haul brother, and at $25 that Bulleit 10 is a no brainer. (Incidentally, it is usually $40+ around here while the regular Bulleit is $23ish.) And while I do love the 10, I don't find it to be so radically different from the standard Bulleit bourbon to make me spend the extra $15-20. Probably because the regular stuff is already 7-8 years old.

Pants 09-22-2016 10:52 PM

If someone has already posted this one, my apologies.

This $16 dollar bottle is probably the best $16 you can spend. Period.

Ever.

This bourbon is so delicious, I have no idea how it's even legal. If it's available where you live, please give Old Bardstown a shot. You will not be disappointed.

If you're in the KC area, it's only available in Missouri. I drive 35 minutes each way to Lucas Liquor in Martin City to stock up when they have it. Well worth it.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/GsgGP"><a href="//imgur.com/GsgGP"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Titty Meat 09-22-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 12443331)

Ever.

This bourbon is so delicious, I have no idea how it's even legal. If it's available where you live, please give Old Bardstown a shot. You will not be disappointed.

If you're in the KC area, it's only available in Missouri. I drive 35 minutes each way to Lucas Liquor in Martin City to stock up when they have it. Well worth it.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/GsgGP"><a href="//imgur.com/GsgGP"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll check it out thanks.

lewdog 09-23-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12443160)
That's a sweet haul brother, and at $25 that Bulleit 10 is a no brainer. (Incidentally, it is usually $40+ around here while the regular Bulleit is $23ish.) And while I do love the 10, I don't find it to be so radically different from the standard Bulleit bourbon to make me spend the extra $15-20. Probably because the regular stuff is already 7-8 years old.

Do you guys have Fry's grocery in the Midwest?

They run this sale multiple times per year so I usually wait to get a ton of bottles then. I haven't tried the Bulleit Rye whiskey or the 10, so it will be interesting to see the difference. And I agree, the regular Bulleit bourbon is top notch for it's price point and if the 10 hadn't been on sale, I'd have gotten it instead.

KCTitus 09-23-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12416094)

If I ever get a reason to get to ATL, I'll be sure to make a stop. Here in Virginia, we cannot get Buffalo Trace...Pappy is literally like it never existed. I remember getting some Pappy back a few years ago before Buffalo Trace's distillery went off the chain.

Be thankful, fellow bourbon drinkers, if you can get Buffalo Trace freely...we have a broke dick system of state controlled liquor here in Virginia and if a local ABC store gets a case, typically, the lucky finder buys every bottle they have. ****ers...

KCTitus 09-23-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 12416480)
Bourbon must be aged in brand new barrels which are made of white oak and have been charred on the inside. Brands determine the varying levels of char for their barrels from 1 to 4.

Nothing can be added at bottling except water. Nothing is added that might enhance flavor, add sweetness or alter color.

IDGAF...you can argue with the distillers of Angels Envy as to whether or not it's 'bourbon'...they call it bourbon, so I call it bourbon.

lewdog 09-23-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12444490)
If I ever get a reason to get to ATL, I'll be sure to make a stop. Here in Virginia, we cannot get Buffalo Trace...Pappy is literally like it never existed. I remember getting some Pappy back a few years ago before Buffalo Trace's distillery went off the chain.

Be thankful, fellow bourbon drinkers, if you can get Buffalo Trace freely...we have a broke dick system of state controlled liquor here in Virginia and if a local ABC store gets a case, typically, the lucky finder buys every bottle they have. ****ers...

So weird. Buffalo Trace is literally in every grocery store here, any time you want it.

KCTitus 09-23-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12444510)
So weird. Buffalo Trace is literally in every grocery store here, any time you want it.

It's ridiculous...I havent seen a bottle on the shelf of a state liquor store in almost 2 years. I've decided to special order it, because there's no other way to procure it.

Its the government monopoly...

Indian Chief 09-23-2016 09:12 PM

Damn that's horrible. I fill my hot tub with Buffalo Trace, we have so much of it here. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12444459)
Do you guys have Fry's grocery in the Midwest?

I'm actually in the northeast and no Fry's here. You have to hunt for bargains around here, but they can be found. The upside is I can get just about anything as long as it exists in the United States. Except Pappy of course, but that's another story.

lewdog 09-23-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12444515)
It's ridiculous...I havent seen a bottle on the shelf of a state liquor store in almost 2 years. I've decided to special order it, because there's no other way to procure it.

Its the government monopoly...

Where do you order it from and what's it cost?

KCTitus 09-23-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12444522)
Where do you order it from and what's it cost?

I can make an order through my local ABC store and it's 23.99 per bottle...but I have to buy 12 bottles. if you have a better deal, I'm listening.

lewdog 09-24-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12444527)
I can make an order through my local ABC store and it's 23.99 per bottle...but I have to buy 12 bottles. if you have a better deal, I'm listening.

I know people here ship beer to each other (although isn't that illegal?). If it was something fairly easy, I wouldn't mind doing it for you.

Bewbies 09-24-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12444490)

Down south there are such weird laws in regards to liquor. We've got bourbon only in liquor stores, but we've only been able to buy on Sunday for 3-4 years now. LMAO

lewdog 09-24-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12444803)
Down south there are such weird laws in regards to liquor. We've got bourbon only in liquor stores, but we've only been able to buy on Sunday for 3-4 years now. LMAO

The South is ****ed up.

No shock there.

Bewbies 09-24-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12444853)
The South is ****ed up.

No shock there.

And then you wear a t-shirt in January and remember why it's awesome.

lewdog 09-24-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12444927)
And then you wear a t-shirt in January and remember why it's awesome.

I think I know what you're talking about..........

frozenchief 09-24-2016 04:05 PM

Just bought a bottle of a bourbon I'd not heard of: Bib & Tucker. Smooth with a long finish. Anybody else here ever try it?

lewdog 10-26-2016 05:47 PM

Became a member of the Arizona Bourbon Society group earlier this year. Have learned a lot about bourbon and whiskey in the group. Through this group was able to purchase a nice whiskey glass as a gift for myself and my father. Cheers to CP members and bump to this thread!

http://i.imgur.com/8mBdI43.jpg

|Zach| 11-03-2016 01:44 AM

Had dinner at Rye a few weeks ago and was drooling at their liquor selection at the bar. The bar tenders know their stuff over there I told him that I really enjoy Buffalo Trace whisky and wanted to trying something new. Had this with one cube and it was just a ****ing delight....really good shit.

http://1s2qad3kyim98kuwcuni8v1e-wpen...key-review.jpg

Titty Meat 11-03-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12508128)
Became a member of the Arizona Bourbon Society group earlier this year. Have learned a lot about bourbon and whiskey in the group. Through this group was able to purchase a nice whiskey glass as a gift for myself and my father. Cheers to CP members and bump to this thread!

http://i.imgur.com/8mBdI43.jpg

Did shots of the Bullet bourbon in the background there at a Halloween party this past weekend.

ChiefAshhole1056 11-03-2016 08:01 AM

Spent the entire WS game last night with a cup of Hudson's baby bourbon filled the whole time. Needless to say, I'm not going to make it into the office today

lewdog 11-03-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 12526192)
Had dinner at Rye a few weeks ago and was drooling at their liquor selection at the bar. The bar tenders know their stuff over there I told him that I really enjoy Buffalo Trace whisky and wanted to trying something new. Had this with one cube and it was just a ****ing delight....really good shit.

http://1s2qad3kyim98kuwcuni8v1e-wpen...key-review.jpg

If you like rye whiskey, then Bulleit would be a better choice. It's half the cost and has 95% rye. That pikesville is only 51% rye even though it says "straight rye whiskey." Glad you enjoyed it.

lewdog 11-03-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12526289)
Did shots of the Bullet bourbon in the background there at a Halloween party this past weekend.

The Bulleit in the background of my picture is their 10 year aged bourbon. I am guessing the one you did shots with was the green label? It's good as well but different from the one pictured. I really like their 10 year bourbon if you get a chance to try it.

Tombstone RJ 11-04-2016 04:15 PM

Just got some more Elijah Craig. Cant beat the price...

KCUnited 12-02-2016 08:31 PM

Put my name in a raffle earlier today and won an opportunity to buy a 2016 Birthday Bourbon.

lewdog 12-02-2016 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12591903)
Put my name in a raffle earlier today and won an opportunity to buy a 2016 Birthday Bourbon.

Oh hell yes! Nice work.

KCUnited 12-02-2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12591910)
Oh hell yes! Nice work.

I'll admit to being a little conflicted as I'm a bit of a bourbon amateur.

lewdog 12-02-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12591914)
I'll admit to being a little conflicted as I'm a bit of a bourbon amateur.

The birthday versions of Old Forester are not easy to find.

If you decide not to drink it, you can sell it for more than you will likely pay for it.

KCUnited 12-02-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12591920)
The birthday versions of Old Forester are not easy to find.

If you decide not to drink it, you can sell it for more than you will likely pay for it.

I definitely won't turn it for money, I hate that behavior in the beer scene. I'll drink it, but I may school myself on bourbon until I can truly appreciate it first.

lewdog 12-02-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12591923)
I definitely won't turn it for money, I hate that behavior in the beer scene. I'll drink it, but I may school myself on bourbon until I can truly appreciate it first.

Not a bad idea. Start with a few bottles of some mid grade bourbons in the $30-50 price range. Plenty of great options without having to break the bank.

srvy 12-02-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 12443331)

Ever.

i posted that early on as best bang for the buck early on in this thread good stuff drinks like a 30+ bottle.

srvy 12-02-2016 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12416464)
Got the Evan Williams black label 12 bucks for a 750 it's not bad at all. After what happened last night in Westport I'll be drinking at home from now on.

Good choice on the bourbon bad choice on location.

Pants 12-03-2016 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12592051)
i posted that early on as best bang for the buck early on in this thread good stuff drinks like a 30+ bottle.

For my taste, which doesn't say much, I haven't had a tastier bourbon. Regardless of the price range.

I am not, however, a huge bourbon guy. I prefer a Speyside Scotch to any other distilled alcohol.

lewdog 12-03-2016 08:49 AM

I found another very good bourbon. On a similar level to 4 roses single barrel. It doesn't have as much heat as 4 roses and tastes a bit sweeter. It's very smooth. Russell's Reserve 10 year.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...G?v=1442369270

ptlyon 12-03-2016 11:03 AM

Don't like bourbon much, more of a Canadian guy.

Never really liked scotch either, but got a bottle of 18 year old glenfidditch for a friend for his birthday and OMG that shit is fan****ingtastic

lewdog 12-03-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 12592230)
Don't like bourbon much, more of a Canadian guy.

Never really liked scotch either, but got a bottle of 18 year old glenfidditch for a friend for his birthday and OMG that shit is fan****ingtastic

What type of Canadian stuff do you like drinking?

Marcellus 12-03-2016 01:08 PM

Not bourbon obviously but I picked up a bottle of this at SAMS today.

http://www.nikka.com/eng/img/eng_pc_..._taketsuru.png

srvy 12-03-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12592136)
I found another very good bourbon. On a similar level to 4 roses single barrel. It doesn't have as much heat as 4 roses and tastes a bit sweeter. It's very smooth. Russell's Reserve 10 year.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...G?v=1442369270

If you see it pick up a bottle Smooth Ambler 7 yo IT IS damn good.

Titty Meat 12-03-2016 01:22 PM

That Crown vanilla is soooo good

Bewbies 12-03-2016 03:37 PM

Technically it's not bourbon, but Buffalo Trace's Bourbon Cream is so delicious. Drink it on the rocks and it's dessert, pour some in coffee and it's perfection.

Impossible to get if you're not in Kentucky, but when you're nearby grab a bottle.

ChiefAshhole1056 12-03-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12592385)
That Crown vanilla is soooo good

Yeah I was shocked by how much I liked it.

KCTitus 12-03-2016 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12444521)
Damn that's horrible. I fill my hot tub with Buffalo Trace, we have so much of it here. :)...

I had a good run a few weeks ago, Buffalo Trace started to appear in a couple of the local government liquor stores...my wife saw it first and bought every bottle they had (3)...she's such a good woman!

I went to another store and found another 3...so I picked those up as well.

Unfortunately, it only lasted me until last weekend, and yet again, they're all sold out. MFers...I hate government controlled liquor stores.

Im hoping to stock up again before Christmas...although I'm not holding out much hope.

It was so much fun to see 6 bottles of Buffalo Trace in my liquor cabinet...but alas, I had to drink it.

Indian Chief 12-04-2016 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12592370)
Not bourbon obviously but I picked up a bottle of this at SAMS today.

http://www.nikka.com/eng/img/eng_pc_..._taketsuru.png

Liked it, didn't love it. I'm a big Nikka fan though. Their From the Barrel and Coffey Grain are fantastic. I'd love to hear what you thought of the Pure Malt.

lewdog 12-11-2016 10:11 AM

Picked me up this today on a sale. $48.29 out the door. Recent report is this $65 bottle of Booker's will be marked up to $100 for 2017 and they are decreasing batch size from 6 to 4. ****ing losers. Capitalizing on the increased bourbon market and making a product more expensive than it's worth.

http://i.imgur.com/tkLvpnU.jpg

Bewbies 12-11-2016 04:24 PM

Bookers is fantastic. Hope that report is wrong...

lewdog 12-11-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12612681)
Bookers is fantastic. Hope that report is wrong...

Not wrong.

http://www.fredminnick.com/2016/12/0...ers-srp-99-99/

MahiMike 12-11-2016 08:54 PM

Was shopping today and saw something called bourbon balls. They are metal balls you chill and then put in your drink to keep it cold. Thought about buying it but I generally like to chew on the ice.

lewdog 12-11-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12613132)
Was shopping today and saw something called bourbon balls. They are metal balls you chill and then put in your drink to keep it cold. Thought about buying it but I generally like to chew on the ice.

Eh, the are ok but I use them to chill the drink just a bit, and then I remove them. Rolling around the glass or possibly clanking you in the teeth is not a great quality. I mostly drink neat though and haven't used the ones I bought in some time.

Pants 12-11-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12613138)
Eh, the are ok but I use them to chill the drink just a bit, and then I remove them. Rolling around the glass or possibly clanking you in the teeth is not a great quality. I mostly drink neat though and haven't used the ones I bought in some time.

Yup. Drink it neat and at room temperature so you get the full profile.

lewdog 12-15-2016 09:14 PM

I dig listening to this song while having a drink. Just feel right.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uNkF_ZpQ4eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kjwood75nro 12-15-2016 09:42 PM

Not bourbon, but whiskey.

Just bought some Grant's Family Reserve Blended Scotch . $25 for a 1.75L handle.

I was thinking, for that price, must be swill. But honestly, tastes fine. Can't tell much of a difference from the higher-end blends.

RobBlake 12-15-2016 11:34 PM

how does one begin to taste what type of bourbon they enjoy? I imagine there's quite a bit of selection. I love to drink, just not very much in the know.

Bewbies 12-15-2016 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12620571)
how does one begin to taste what type of bourbon they enjoy? I imagine there's quite a bit of selection. I love to drink, just not very much in the know.

Try a lot. You'll learn what you like pretty quick.

There's a lot of good advice in threads like this too.

Indian Chief 12-16-2016 12:22 AM

Bourbon falls mainly into two categories, rye heavy and wheat heavy. All bourbon has to be at least 51% corn, so that part doesn't change much. (You can find some with a much higher percentage though.) Rye heavy bourbons (and straight up rye whiskeys) tend to have a spicier note to them. Those with more wheat (and wheat whiskeys like Bernheim) are sweeter and lighter.

You can generally find out what the mash bill is from the distillers. Some make it a big secret, but not all. I would suggest finding one with a high rye % and one with a high wheat %. See what your palate prefers. It could be both if your wallet is really unlucky.

Then you can play around with cask strength bottles, like the Booker's that lewdog posted or a Stagg Jr.

The last thing I'll say, and if you've read this thread at all you've seen it multiple times, is price does not equal quality. I enjoy the hell out of Four Roses, Bulleit, and Elijah Craig Small Batch and they are a fraction of the price of many others.

KCTitus 12-16-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12613132)

I have found a couple of ice cubes in a 4-6oz pour does the trick...I find as the ice melts, it opens the bourbon up a bit.

Tombstone RJ 12-16-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12620625)
Bourbon falls mainly into two categories, rye heavy and wheat heavy. All bourbon has to be at least 51% corn, so that part doesn't change much. (You can find some with a much higher percentage though.) Rye heavy bourbons (and straight up rye whiskeys) tend to have a spicier note to them. Those with more wheat (and wheat whiskeys like Bernheim) are sweeter and lighter.

You can generally find out what the mash bill is from the distillers. Some make it a big secret, but not all. I would suggest finding one with a high rye % and one with a high wheat %. See what your palate prefers. It could be both if your wallet is really unlucky.

Then you can play around with cask strength bottles, like the Booker's that lewdog posted or a Stagg Jr.

The last thing I'll say, and if you've read this thread at all you've seen it multiple times, is price does not equal quality. I enjoy the hell out of Four Roses, Bulleit, and Elijah Craig Small Batch and they are a fraction of the price of many others.

Hmmm... thanks for the info. When I was growing up... (yah, you care).. Rye whiskey was rye whiskey and Bourbon was Bourbon and Scotch was Scotch... So, what is Scotch made from? Barley. What is Bourbon's main ingredient? Corn. What is Rye Whiskey made from? Rye.

Anyhoo... corn is everywhere and cheap and many blended whiskeys are made primarily from corn. One name I'll drop is a Canadian staple called Crown Royal. CR is a blended Canadian whiskey. Here's the deal about Canadian whiskeys0--they are ALL BLENDED. There primary ingredient is something called CORN.

lewdog 12-16-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 12620625)

Agreed with all. I love 4 roses single barrel. Another fairly cheap bottle I recommend is Russell Reserve 10 year. Have you had that? That along with 4 roses are my favorite without breaking the bank. Wanna spend a bit more, I definitely recommend Bulleit 10 year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12621206)
I have found a couple of ice cubes in a 4-6oz pour does the trick...I find as the ice melts, it opens the bourbon up a bit.

For some that is definitely true and as I say, drink it how you like! Some people just prefer drinks cold and that's fine. If I try something that has a note that I don't particularly care for, cutting it with ice letting it melt for 5 minutes usually does the trick. I just bough a tray to make large square ice cubes. I do usually drink neat this time of year though. In summer here it seems to taste better with some ice.

Saccopoo 12-16-2016 06:51 PM

One of the most unique whiskey's you will ever try: High West's Silver.

http://www.highwest.com/products/sil...estern-oat.php

An un-aged oat whiskey (akin to a blanco tequila) with a mash bill containing 85% oats and 15% barley malt. A very unique and incredibly smooth whiskey.

How to Enjoy

High West Silver Whiskey® is remarkably versatile. Neat, on the rocks, in a classic cocktail, or wherever you'd use another "clear" spirit. Try an Old Fashioned-Old Fashioned, a Clementine, or a Silver Manhattan.

The Name

It is a smooth oat based whiskey that has just seen the inside of a barrel, with an elegant, smooth flavor. We use the best ingredients and exact science to distill the elegance from the grain and separate those awful flavors you can get in other white whiskies. Tequila and rum both have their Blanco and anejo, why can't whiskey? All spirits are born clear and turn brown after aging in a barrel. High West SILVER™ spent all of 5 minutes in a barrel to minimize the barrel's influence on the taste of the native spirit. We call ours SILVER™ because we distill it in old town Park City, one of the west's richest silver mining towns.

https://grainandgrapeblog.files.word...8/img_2094.jpg

Titty Meat 12-16-2016 06:55 PM

Shit weather means good night for drinking. Think I'll do Crown Vanilla again how bout you fellas?

kjwood75nro 12-16-2016 07:02 PM

Get the fireplace going, maybe pop a new bottle of Jameson...

I know it's common, but with a liquor store in a town of 1000, you make do.

Maybe do some Famous Grouse instead. Or see if the store still has 2 Gingers.

penguinz 12-16-2016 07:10 PM

Neat! Been addicted to Bullet and Knob Creek lately.

Need to get some Stagg jr again.

penguinz 12-16-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjwood75nro (Post 12622012)
Get the fireplace going, maybe pop a new bottle of Jameson...

I know it's common, but with a liquor store in a town of 1000, you make do.

Maybe do some Famous Grouse instead. Or see if the store still has 2 Gingers.

Nothing wrong with Jameson's!

VAChief 12-16-2016 07:19 PM

Cold tonight... uncorking the Booker's.

kjwood75nro 12-16-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 12622022)

Got a new liquor store the next town over. Here, your only Irish Whiskey options are Jameson and Tullamore Dew, sometimes Bushmills.

There, they have stuff like 2 Gingers, Hell cat Maggie, Jameson Caskmates, etc.

Also, that one bourbon with the tin can on top, but that just brings back bad, hazy memories.

lewdog 12-16-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 12622020)
Neat! Been addicted to Bullet and Knob Creek lately.

Need to get some Stagg jr again.

Which Knob Creek?

penguinz 12-16-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12622036)
Which Knob Creek?

Just the small batch 100 proof.

lewdog 12-16-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 12622039)
Just the small batch 100 proof.

Same bottle I have here. :thumb:

Cheers!

penguinz 12-16-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12622040)
Same bottle I have here. :thumb:

Cheers!

Store here had the Christmas gift box that came with two Knob Creek branded rocks glasses at same price as just the bottle so it was a no brainer to buy!

lewdog 12-16-2016 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 12622051)
Store here had the Christmas gift box that came with two Knob Creek branded rocks glasses at same price as just the bottle so it was a no brainer to buy!

I see tons of those here. A need two more glasses and I'm thinking the same thing!

KCTitus 12-16-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 12622022)

Correct, sir...do not talk down about Jameson. While it's not a bourbon, it is one of the finest whiskeys Ive ever enjoyed. It was basically my gateway to Scotch.

I would be very interested if anyone has tried the new Jameson Caskmates...Im not sure about mixing stout beer and irish whiskey

phisherman 12-16-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 12622069)
Correct, sir...do not talk down about Jameson. While it's not a bourbon, it is one of the finest whiskeys Ive ever enjoyed. It was basically my gateway to Scotch.

I would be very interested if anyone has tried the new Jameson Caskmates...Im not sure about mixing stout beer and irish whiskey

It's delicious. Just a touch of chocolate and smoke right at the end of the classic Jameson profile.

KCTitus 12-16-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 12622078)
It's delicious. Just a touch of chocolate and smoke right at the end of the classic Jameson profile.

Thanks! Im in need of a stocking stuffer for myself, that might just do the trick. Sounds good.