ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Gillette (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320438)

bdj23 01-15-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14040531)
I don't know what's "PC" about the message, "Hey, don't be a dick. Be better than that." I know, I know - back in my day, we used to pound those nerds into oblivion and now they're CEOs, so it must have worked right?

Literally NO ONE is saying masculinity is bad; the reference is toward toxic masculinity, and I'm sure it's something we've all taken apart of at some point in our lives here. Bullying, demeaning, undermining, mansplaining, etc.

Why wouldn't you want to grow and be the best version of you you can be? That's the message here. Christ.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...25/124/7a2.jpg

vailpass 01-15-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14040986)
What's preachy about it? If you aren't taking part in any of that conduct - why the hate? Are you part of the problem they're highlighting? If not - carry on. Be the best you, man.

Another problem with this ad is it encourages douche nozzles to think it's okay to be a douche nozzle.

vailpass 01-15-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 14041103)
In the divisive times we live in, these firms are going to need to know where their customers stand on these issues, and I don't think right now they've thought things through. I think these are low-level SJWs at work here. You could be right, but I think they made a mistake. Do you think it was really in ESPN's interest to go full-SJW? Seems like they have pulled back a bit.

I don't know if they were right or wrong, time will tell. I only know their bottom-line reason for doing it was for their bottom line.

As to espn, I will never understand why they chose to torpedo their customer base and I never will. They, like CNN, went from a once respected news source to...whatever you'd call them now.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man, if this was a move to generate more profit, especially amongst digital media-savvy millennials, ouch...

Fishpicker 01-15-2019 01:40 PM

YT ratings don't matter.

Market Summary > Procter & Gamble Co
NYSE: PG
91.88 USD +0.73 (0.80%)

htismaqe 01-15-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041259)
YT ratings don't matter.

Market Summary > Procter & Gamble Co
NYSE: PG
91.88 USD +0.73 (0.80%)

P&G is much, much bigger than just the Gillette BU. Their stock price is not an indication of the success of this campaign.

Fishpicker 01-15-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041272)
Their stock price is not an indication of the success of this campaign.

not yet. the marketers know what they are doing.

vailpass 01-15-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

P&G is much, much bigger than just the Gillette BU. Their stock price is not an indication of the success of this campaign.

^
Need stand-alone numbers from Gillette to do the kind of comparison he's trying to do there.

Frazod 01-15-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Isn't this the same bunch who recently got busted putting asbestos in their talcum powder for decades?

They're having kind of a shitty couple of months.

FringeNC 01-15-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041339)
not yet. the marketers know what they are doing.

I dunno. Disney's decisions with ESPN and the Star Wars franchise suggest otherwise. Hasn't Disney cancelled a bunch of Star Wars films given the backlash?

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah, p&g is in a league of its own when it comes to brand management. If this was a dud, they'll know. I don't think it was great advertising. But often times stuff I hate wasn't targeted to me. Thing is, p&g wouldn't release a campaign like this unless they had a ton of research to say it was a good idea. It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Fishpicker 01-15-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 14041412)
I dunno. Disney's decisions with ESPN and the Star Wars franchise suggest otherwise. Hasn't Disney cancelled a bunch of Star Wars films given the backlash?

you're assuming that Disney did not intend to cause a disturbance in the force. Disney did the same with Marvel comics.

Fishpicker 01-15-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14041462)
But often times stuff I hate wasn't targeted to me.

that's pretty key

Marcellus 01-15-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041496)
that's pretty key

So what you are saying is Gillette is targeting all the millennial feminazis because both the soy boys and their girlfriends need to start shaving and working on their personal hygiene.

Genius!

htismaqe 01-15-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14041496)
that's pretty key

Who are they targeting then?

The suggestion was that they were targeting a younger demographic, specifically audiences on platforms like YouTube. By a 3:1, their YouTube audience HATES it.

If you're suggesting they're marketing to somebody other than what has been suggested, that's a fair point.

If you're suggesting that people here are just reacting because THEY don't like it, that's not valid. The overwhelming majority of viewers so far don't like it.