ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318222)

bobbything 10-17-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 13824414)
My bad on the punt. After KC's punt, I thought welp, it is no longer a no-punt game forgetting it was only on one side.

It is a bit hard to compare eras. Everything favors the offense so much more and the stats reflect that. For the no punt Indy game, the combined score was fairly low.

But I stand by the statement that our defense had some stops and did enough to give our offense a chance to win it.

The strip sack and stopping them on fourth down was a big deal. If the 2003 defense had managed to do that, KC most likely would have won that game.

If the 2003 defense had forced a couple more filed goal tries, that could have also been the difference. And again, that was back when the rules were friendlier to defenses then than they are now.

And it may be only ONE GAME, but playoffs are one and done. We are likely to see Brady again.

I get what you're saying but I can't hang the title of "worse defense ever" on a team that simply had the "worst defensive performance ever."

Honestly, I think the 02, 04, and 08 defenses were worse than 03 (and maybe we're looking at it differently because those teams didn't make the playoffs). With 08 winning in a landslide. I honestly think we are headed in that direction this season. We have the offense to bail this team out but the NE game just showed what happens if the offense isn't perfect. Same, I suppose, with the 03 playoff game. A (bullshit) offensive PI call and a Priest Holmes fumble were ultimately the difference in winning and losing...even with zero punts/turnovers.

I'm going off the eye test probably more than anything here. I just don't see anything that leads me to believe that this year's defense will be anything other than a complete trainwreck.

htismaqe 10-17-2018 12:19 PM

The 2003 defense forced 37 TOs, including 25 INTs.

The 2018 defense is on pace to force 24 TOs, including a paltry 16 INTs that is MASSIVELY skewed by Bortles. They've forced TWO INTs in the other five games.

This defense is worse than the 2003 defense and it's not even really close.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-17-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13824384)
Alex Smith provided plenty of cover for Sutton in the last 2. That won't happen this time.

Indeed. And the more the scale tips, the more obvious it becomes, you can't brush it off with coachspeak or try to hide it in "Casselesque" grading charts.

It shouldn't have to come to this! If I'm Andy ****ing Reid, I am on FIRE to get every loose end tightened up as fast as I can, no friendships or excuses getting in my way, because I am now in a position to make a run for multiple titles after YEARS of busting my balls in this league and waiting to get a generational QB to take my offense to the next level.

htismaqe 10-17-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claysexual (Post 13825368)
Indeed. And the more the scale tips, the more obvious it becomes, you can't brush it off with coachspeak or try to hide it in "Casselesque" grading charts.

It shouldn't have to come to this! If I'm Andy ****ing Reid, I am on FIRE to get every loose end tightened up as fast as I can, no friendships or excuses getting in my way, because I am now in a position to make a run for multiple titles after YEARS of busting my balls in this league and waiting to get a generational QB to take my offense to the next level.

:clap:

Coach 10-17-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13824275)
This is out of context, statistically. In a few of our early games, we shot up to early leads and just hit cruise control while the other time racked up garbage time stats.

The other two games were against two all time offenses in Pitt and New England.

So, while we are bad, the idea that we are the worst defense in history is laughable.

I'm sorry, but the bolded part is false. Through 6 games, Chiefs have given up roughly 2,809 yards on defense. That pace translates to giving up 7,491 yards for the season. That would be a new NFL record for yards allowed in a season, set in 2012 by New Orleans Saints with 7,042.

And I have not seen any evidence on the contrary that suggests the Chiefs have made any improvements or corrections to this issue.

Best22 10-17-2018 10:32 PM

2003 Chiefs allowed 30 or more points 3 times in 16 regular season games

The 2018 Chiefs have done so 2 times in 6 games

KChiefs1 12-21-2018 12:53 PM

So they have improved?

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-21-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13825389)
2003 Chiefs allowed 30 or more points 3 times in 16 regular season games

The 2018 Chiefs have done so 2 times in 6 games

So it's official:

G-Rob>>>>Sutton. Fantastic.

T-post Tom 12-24-2018 11:10 AM

Momentum.....

NJChiefsFan 12-24-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13975162)
So it's official:

G-Rob>>>>Sutton. Fantastic.

That's.............hideous.

I never thought that could be uttered. Scary thing is it feels like the same kind of exit. Chiefs have a great offense, get beat by the Colts because they can't create a single punt, and DRob goes in and gets emotional with Vermeil, stepping down to save his friend the tough decision.

Is that not what this feels like? Defensive collapse coming, ruining an all-time offense, followed by Sutton stepping down to save Reid from the tough decision?

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-24-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13985378)
That's.............hideous.

I never thought that could be uttered. Scary thing is it feels like the same kind of exit. Chiefs have a great offense, get beat by the Colts because they can't create a single punt, and DRob goes in and gets emotional with Vermeil, stepping down to save his friend the tough decision.

Is that not what this feels like? Defensive collapse coming, ruining an all-time offense, followed by Sutton stepping down to save Reid from the tough decision?

Dude, I've said it for weeks; you aren't doing dick much less winning a SB with a defense ranked in the ****ing 30's. No way, no how.
And the fact of the matter is that a different coord with a more aggressive philosophy, one willing to hold feet to fire, could have taken the "Veach shit-sandwich" and done better than rankings in the ****ing 30's.

You have to be VERY apathetic as a coach to let that happen.

DanT 12-24-2018 11:26 AM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...sition/defense

Thus far, the Chiefs have allowed 6,196 yards on defense, ranked 31 of 32 teams (Bengals have allowed 6,275).