ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs SCHEFTER- Crennel to Chiefs Imminent (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221244)

dirk digler 01-06-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6416807)
ham ass would hire someone and then still bitch endlessly about it.

I guess I don't understand what is wrong with Crennel. The choice of him over Pendergast is a no brainer IMVHO.

Goldmember 01-06-2010 08:14 PM

Good thing they widened the concourses at Arrowhead

wild1 01-06-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6416826)
I guess I don't understand what is wrong with Crennel. The choice of him over Pendergast is a no brainer IMVHO.

I like the Weis hire a lot better than Crennel, but still - it's a big step in the right direction

FAX 01-06-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 6416781)
Yea, I don't get the whining. Then again.......I shouldn't be surprised.

I've given it some thought and concluded that some people believe that they can build themselves up by tearing others down. It's typically a symptom of low self-esteem and immaturity.

It's wise to remember that old Hungarian proverb; When you point your finger at someone else, three of your other fingers are pointing back at you and your thumb is kind of sticking out sideways.

FAX

SAUTO 01-06-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6416639)
That's a sports radio cliche propagated to support people who can't maximize the talents of the players that they have.

The Cover 2 worked in Tampa because of the talents of the players, just like Air Coryell worked in St. Louis, the WCO worked in San Fran, and the 3-4 worked in Pitt.

Never, ever chase trends. It doesn't work in any sports.

Moneyball. Read it.

how many titles did the cat who wrote moneyball win?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaWolf 01-06-2010 08:22 PM

These are the key things here IMO:

A) There has to be a sense of legitimacy brought in here from our coaching staff. So in our case, especially with a young team, you bring in guys with rings, and they will listen and they will probably work a bit harder, because they know what these guys have done has worked.

B) You have to hire the best guys to implement your system. If these are the best guys available, then you hire them. If Dick Lebeau was available and he fit what I wanted to do, I certainly wouldn't avoid hiring him because he was "unoriginal". The new guy could suck just as easily, like Sheridan in New York. There are no guarantees that they'd be any good.

C) Usually it pays to know who you are hiring and knowing what you want. Dick Vermeil went out and hired a guy he had worked with, Al Saunders, to run his offense. Worked great. He went out and hired two defensive coordinators he had never worked with, GRob and Dumbther, and it failed miserably. And a lot of that had to do with DV having no real defensive philosophy other than wanting the other team to score less.

At the end of the day, if Pioli doesn't give these guys better talent that fits their systems, it won't work anyway...

EyePod 01-06-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6416757)
The team was 10-6 the year before that, but don't let that get in the way.

Parcells is good at building playoff-caliber teams, but he's never won anything w/o Belichick.

When Belichick went out on his own, he achieved success.

Parcells' attempts to build the same team that he had in New York in the 80s with every other franchise has never worked, because he doesn't have Lawrence Taylor, Bill Belichick, Carl Banks, Phil Simms, etc.

You're gonna put that botch by Romo on Parcell's shoulders? That was not his fault in any way.

BossChief 01-06-2010 08:24 PM

The 3-4 isnt a trend.

It has been around for quite some time.

But I fully agree, we shouldnt have changed to it when we had investment in a 4-3.

EyePod 01-06-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 6416849)
I've given it some thought and concluded that some people believe that they can build themselves up by tearing others down. It's typically a symptom of low self-esteem and immaturity.

It's wise to remember that old Hungarian proverb; When you point your finger at someone else, three of your other fingers are pointing back at you and your thumb is kind of sticking out sideways.

FAX

Isn't your thumb pointing at your woman who's always right about whatever it is you're talking about?

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-06-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6416869)
Posted via Mobile Device

If you mean Michael Lewis, the guy who wrote it, 0.

However, Moneyball is more applicable in the NFL than MLB.

There are fixed assets (players) but teams change schemes to copy teams that have done well.

Look at the 3-4. It requires a very specific skillset. The teams who've succeeded running it did so because they could get tweeners at good value. Same for teams who first started running the Tampa 2. But when everyone starts running it, you have increased demand for a fixed supply, and if you're chasing the trend, that's a losing proposition.

If the majority of the league is running a 3-4, you shouldn't. It's bad business.

EyePod 01-06-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 6416893)
These are the key things here IMO:

A) There has to be a sense of legitimacy brought in here from our coaching staff. So in our case, especially with a young team, you bring in guys with rings, and they will listen and they will probably work a bit harder, because they know what these guys have done has worked.

B) You have to hire the best guys to implement your system. If these are the best guys available, then you hire them. If Dick Lebeau was available and he fit what I wanted to do, I certainly wouldn't avoid hiring him because he was "unoriginal". The new guy could suck just as easily, like Sheridan in New York. There are no guarantees that they'd be any good.

C) Usually it pays to know who you are hiring and knowing what you want. Dick Vermeil went out and hired a guy he had worked with, Al Saunders, to run his offense. Worked great. He went out and hired two defensive coordinators he had never worked with, GRob and Dumbther, and it failed miserably. And a lot of that had to do with DV having no real defensive philosophy other than wanting the other team to score less.

At the end of the day, if Pioli doesn't give these guys better talent that fits their systems, it won't work anyway...

We aren't that far away. Just having actual LBers and a NT will be such an improvement. I think Hali showed what he can do this year and that was with no help.

Cannibal 01-06-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6416546)
Whether it's original or not is irrelevant. All that matters is whether or not it works.

I agree completely. I could care less who we emulate. I just want to see some ****ing wins and a team that is relevant late in the season.

OnTheWarpath15 01-06-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 6416908)
The 3-4 isnt a trend.

It has been around for quite some time.

Right now, it's the "hot" trend.

5 years ago, you could count the teams that run it on one hand.

Now, close to half the league runs it.

Meanwhile, Belichick is smart enough to see all these organizations chasing the trend, knowing players are going to harder to come by, so what does he do?

He's switching back to the 43. Lead the trend. Never follow it.

MTG#10 01-06-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 6416849)

FAX

Its seriously hard to pick which one of your posts to rep sometimes ROFL

DeezNutz 01-06-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6416869)
Posted via Mobile Device

Although it's possible that you're alluding to one of Hamas's earlier posts, trying to undercut Beane's achievements (not the author, obviously) is preposterous, given his market and the dynamics of (then) MLB.