ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

patteeu 07-26-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9836124)
Crazy, Stupid, Love is just a great movie. Really funny. Steve Carell was awesome, and so was Ryan Gosling.

Yes.

frankotank 07-26-2013 02:02 PM

going to see The Wolverine today.
yay!

-King- 07-26-2013 02:18 PM

This is 40: Eh. Could have been funnier. Really had no point.

Oblivion: Decent movie. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, but it was still pretty decent.

Also watched "Moon" after Oblivion. Oblivion stole a BIG chunk out of that movie.

Pepe Silvia 07-26-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9836124)
Crazy, Stupid, Love is just a great movie. Really funny. Steve Carell was awesome, and so was Ryan Gosling.

I like that part where Gosling just tosses Carell's shoes over the railing in the mall. lol

Easy 6 07-26-2013 05:44 PM

I'm really looking forward to Elysium, its from the guy who did District 9 which i didnt like, but this story looks like one i can dig, and Matt Damon doesnt do mindless action.

Believe it or not, the directors first choice for the lead was, wait for it... Eminem! can you believe that? I mean yeah, he was surprisingly decent playing himself in 8 Mile, but to cast him as the lead in a brainy actioner?

Its hard to imagine.

KcMizzou 07-26-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9836598)
I'm really looking forward to Elysium, its from the guy who did District 9 which i didnt like, but this story looks like one i can dig, and Matt Damon doesnt do mindless action.

Believe it or not, the directors first choice for the lead was, wait for it... Eminem! can you believe that? I mean yeah, he was surprisingly decent playing himself in 8 Mile, but to cast him as the lead in a brainy actioner?

Its hard to imagine.

I actually think he could be a pretty good actor, if it weren't for the fact that he's already so well known.

I agree he was great in 8 mile. He's "typecast" without hardy acting at all.

Easy 6 07-26-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9836883)
I actually think he could be a pretty good actor, if it weren't for the fact that he's already so well known.

I agree he was great in 8 mile. He's "typecast" without hardy acting at all.

He did well enough in 8 Mile to warrant further interest as an actor for sure, i was honestly impressed with how natural he was, but it seems strange for a director to want a guy who's only played himself to star in a role that requires stepping outside of the comfort zone of telling ones own story.

Maybe if he's been taking some serious acting classes, i could entertain that idea... just seems like an odd choice, i think he made the right call with Damon.

I agree with what i think you mean about being typecast, he'd have to really grow his acting chops to keep most people from thinking "hey, thats eminem", instead of just buying into what he's doing as an actor.

Fairplay 07-26-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9830427)
Seriously though, Searching for Sugar Man is just a true inspiration for me and it couldnt have happened to a better guy, he's sooo humble, without a trace of bitterness that he was rejected by America in the 60's-70's... "hey, its the music business, nothings guaranteed".

Since the release of the movie he's actually made millions, but gives most away to family and friends who supported him when he was just starting out or after he'd given up and went into construction... still lives in the rundown looking place with a wood burning stove in inner detroit that he's lived in for the last 40+ years.

This guy is a true artiste, listen to him give Bob Dylan a run for his money...

ed* he doesnt live in a "dump", but its definitely an older building in the heart of the city.

Very similar to this guy named Tom Shadyac, he directed Bruce Almighty and Liar Liar among other films and living the lifestyle of the rich and famous. After suffering an accident he looked in the mirror and decided what is life about? A question for the ages you could say, he then sold his 17,000 foot LA mansion, gave away most of his fortune and is currently living in a trailer park.

He has a documentary movie called I Am about his personal addiction to materialism.

Easy 6 07-26-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9837055)
Very similar to this guy named Tom Shadyac, he directed Bruce Almighty and Liar Liar among other films and living the lifestyle of the rich and famous. After suffering an accident he looked in the mirror and decided what is life about? A question for the ages you could say, he then sold his 17,000 foot LA mansion, gave away most of his fortune and is currently living in a trailer park.

He has a documentary movie called I Am about his personal addiction to materialism.

Very similar, i watched him tell this story on Tavis Smiley, its going to make him a better filmmaker.

Fairplay 07-26-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9837140)
Very similar, i watched him tell this story on Tavis Smiley, its going to make him a better filmmaker.

Heh, I watched him on Tavis Smileys show also.

Miles 07-27-2013 10:36 PM

Just watched Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn). With the reviews I had lowish expectations even though I loved Drive. It ended up being pretty damn good but I can see why it didn't work for many. Brutal and highly stylistic.

frankotank 07-29-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9836142)
going to see The Wolverine today.
yay!

went to see The Wolverine.
boo.

OK...maybe not straight up....boo....but I was rather disappointed.
it's not terrible....but imo it isn't great either.

patteeu 07-29-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9842417)
went to see The Wolverine.
boo.

OK...maybe not straight up....boo....but I was rather disappointed.
it's not terrible....but imo it isn't great either.

That's what I thought too.

frankotank 07-29-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9842432)
That's what I thought too.

he is....hands down....my favorite super hero. (Thing & Hulk round out my top 3) as a Michigan fan....it just fits. so I couldn't WAIT to see this. I just thought it would be so much more than it is.
gotta say it's not a bad movie though....I just thought this was gonna be my shizzle.

blaise 07-29-2013 08:11 AM

Seems like there's an oversaturation of super hero movies, really.