ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

notorious 11-18-2021 07:27 AM

Best out of the Star Trek shows IMO.

Mennonite 11-18-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15961072)
Best out of the Star Trek shows IMO.

I still don't understand why it hasn't gotten the HD treatment yet. You would think they would release a trial run "best of" collection at least.

Jamie 11-18-2021 02:34 PM

With the (relative) death of physical media the TNG remaster didn't make as much money as they thought it would, and it killed the idea of remastering DS9 or Voyager back then. Plus DS9 and Voyager had a lot of low definition CG effects that would have to be redone to some extent. TNG used almost entirely filmed models, so it was more straightforward to use those original filmed elements in HD.

On the bright side, with the them pushing Paramount+ they might finally have the motivation to spend a little money. There was a rumor a few months ago that some company had been hired to do DS9 in HD, and was using AI to upscale the CG, but I haven't seen anything concrete.

KC_Connection 11-18-2021 11:06 PM

Yeah I was just re-watching some of the S5/S6 Dominion War saga last week. Great stuff but definitely a bit jarring that it still isn’t in HD.

listopencil 11-20-2021 06:21 AM

They dropped a new episode of Discovery and I watched the first segment, about 10 minutes or so. Looks like they have settled into making Burnham the new Captain Kirk surrounded by a lame ass ensemble cast. Not exactly horrific but quite the dud with no compelling reason to watch the show.

Jamie 11-20-2021 01:15 PM

One of the things that annoys me about Discovery is how they never really bothered to define a lot of the characters' rank and position on screen, particularly the secondary characters. I mean, it doesn't annoy me as much as the shitty writing, but still.

Frazod 11-20-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 15964979)
They dropped a new episode of Discovery and I watched the first segment, about 10 minutes or so. Looks like they have settled into making Burnham the new Captain Kirk surrounded by a lame ass ensemble cast. Not exactly horrific but quite the dud with no compelling reason to watch the show.

Surprised you're still watching this shit.

I was going to go into another rant about how much I ****ing hate this show and its godawful shitty alphabet cast, but I've said it all before.

Holding out for Strange New Worlds, foolishly hoping that it won't be more woke dogshit masquerading as Star Trek.

Mennonite 11-20-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15965365)

Holding out for Strange New Worlds, foolishly hoping that it won't be more woke dogshit masquerading as Star Trek.

I've given up. Trek fans seem to love the new shows so the chances of getting a show that I'd enjoy are pretty much nil since there clearly isn't a market for it.

I'm completely out of step with modern American culture so I'm pessimistic about liking 99.9999% of anything new in tv, movies, music, or books. Luckily, technology has made the old stuff I like more easily available.

Frazod 11-20-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 15965444)
I've given up. Trek fans seem to love the new shows so the chances of getting a show that I'd enjoy are pretty much nil since there clearly isn't a market for it.

I'm completely out of step with modern American culture so I'm pessimistic about liking 99.9999% of anything new in tv, movies, music, or books. Luckily, technology has made the old stuff I like more easily available.

I hear you. Personally I'm hoping that CBS has made note of the backlash and SNW will be the bone they throw us old farts to keep us interested. But the odds of that being the case are slim considering the vile ****s that make Discovery are still in charge. I really don't see Star Trek changing until all the current incarnations fade away and we get our own Favreau/Filoni types to step in and reboot it correctly.

I guess we'll have our answer if they turn Number One into a lesbian.

listopencil 11-20-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15965365)
Surprised you're still watching this shit.

I was going to go into another rant about how much I ****ing hate this show and its godawful shitty alphabet cast, but I've said it all before.

Nah. Not watching it. I noticed that they are doing a new season and saw that the first episode was available. So I watched the first 10 minutes or so to see what they are doing with it.

Frazod 11-20-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 15965827)
Nah. Not watching it. I noticed that they are doing a new season and saw that the first episode was available. So I watched the first 10 minutes or so to see what they are doing with it.

Fair enough.

The one thing I will say for the show is that it looks great. The special effects have been top notch since the beginning. Such a shame to see them wasted on this shit. It's like Avatar on steroids.

Well, I guess "steriods" is the wrong word. Is there some of super-charged estrogen equivalent?

RINGLEADER 11-20-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15962697)
Yeah I was just re-watching some of the S5/S6 Dominion War saga last week. Great stuff but definitely a bit jarring that it still isn’t in HD.

That DS9 documentary “What We Left Behind” that Ira Behr made had an HD remastered sequence from one of the big Dominion battles. Was short, but cool.

Mennonite 11-21-2021 07:28 AM

I skipped around that documentary for about five minutes and decided to turn it off before it made me hate the cast. All I can remember is a scene with Colm Meaney (maybe?) bitching about the studio making Brooks shave his goatee off. He says that they claimed it was because they didn't want to confuse the audience by having him look like his Spencer For Hire character "Hawk" but it was really because they didn't want a black man to look tough and threatening or some shit. I think he even made an Uncle Tom reference. This was followed by an interview with a black guy who worked on the show saying that his first response upon hearing that Brooks was cast as the lead was "Holy shit! We hired HAWK!"

I may be misremembering all of this. The doc is (or was) on Youtube for free if anyone is interested.

listopencil 11-21-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15965833)
Fair enough.

The one thing I will say for the show is that it looks great. The special effects have been top notch since the beginning. Such a shame to see them wasted on this shit. It's like Avatar on steroids.

Well, I guess "steriods" is the wrong word. Is there some of super-charged estrogen equivalent?

Estroids? Funny that you mentioned Avatar. That opening bit that I saw was so CGI that I thought it was going to be a story about them going through holodeck training, as the title of the episode was Kobayashi Maru. But I guess that's just the look of the show.

Mennonite 11-21-2021 08:39 AM

The camera work sucks. They are so afraid of losing the audience's attention that they feel like they have to do the equivalent of jigging car keys in front of their faces every two seconds. Not every scene has to filmed like an action sequence.

Can you imagine how the end of Inner Light would be filmed today? There would be 8 quick cuts and a revolving dolly shot before Picard even makes it to the window. He would also be streaming (lens flared) tears so the audience doesn't miss the fact that he's sad. And finally we'd be treated to a bittersweet solo flute version of a David Bowie song or something as the camera slowly pulls back from the Enterprise.