ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

Silock 04-06-2010 06:02 PM

Mass adoption of HTML5, especially from companies like Apple, will speed things up tremendously. I didn't say it was going to be overnight or anything, but up until now, there has been no real impetus to move to HTML5 quickly. There will be soon.

I'm not saying that in a few months, Flash will be replaced entirely by HTML5. What I AM saying is that for many thing, it simply won't matter, especially if companies just make their own iPad application.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656596)
I still don't get it guys... why not wait a month and get the ICD Gemini... runs on Android 2.1(so you can actually view a FLASH website) - it is 2" longer - faster processor - sdcard slot - fm radio - makes VOICE CALLS - can receive/send SMS and MMS - has both a forward facing and rear camera with autofocus - HD VIDEO SUPPORT - can support USB peripherals - AND has built in GPS.

Personally I will wait until the MS Courier comes out to look into that space...

Can people stop mentioning vaporware. Courier isn't even a prototype. I mean Popular Science came out with a mock up of a PDA of the future with some seriously cool features. That was like 1999 or 2000 or so. Did we come close to it? No.

Same with Courier. I've never seen vaporware get so much attention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6656605)
Never heard of it but, with those specs, I'll definitely look into it.

I love Apple. Always have. Owned a Macintosh. Owned a mid-90s Mac. Own a bunch of iPods, including the Touch. But look at that massive list of "things the iPad CAN'T do". Really, Apple... what were you thinking?

What can't the iPad do?

Flash and a camera (not front facing, which I would call webcam, anyway) are not things I think are necessary. So what else would you put down?

And, for the record, I'm against the closed loop system. I wouldn't be if they allowed anything into the store, but since their rejection system is arbitrary and highly flawed, it's absolutely a big issue.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6656640)
You have a link to this bad boy?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/i...mplete-tablet/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....10icd25521.jpg

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656645)
Oh yay! A flash debate.

Flash is dying and we'd be better off without it. It's been that way before the iPad and it is going to hurt even more with it.

I agree, but to say HTM5 is "months" away is wrong.. unless you means 12-24 months

Silock 04-06-2010 06:09 PM

Link to video of device actually turned on and functioning?

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656646)
Mass adoption of HTML5, especially from companies like Apple, will speed things up tremendously. I didn't say it was going to be overnight or anything, but up until now, there has been no real impetus to move to HTML5 quickly. There will be soon.

I'm not saying that in a few months, Flash will be replaced entirely by HTML5. What I AM saying is that for many thing, it simply won't matter, especially if companies just make their own iPad application.

I doubt much of ANYTHING usable will be out in a "few" months... yes, Apple will effectively speed up the process but that just means we will se more html5 in the next 1-2 years instead of 3-4... trust me, HTML5 is not at all ready for prime time.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656656)
I agree, but to say HTM5 is "months" away is wrong.. unless you means 12-24 months

Well that depends on your definition of when it's "ready". People squabbled over standards for previous HTML versions for years after they were standardized. Those squabblings didn't affect the mainstream browsers (people). Hell, it barely affected web designers. CSS has emerged in the same fashion. Ever evolving and implemented but as far as standards, there's always in-fighting.

So, if by "ready" for HTML5, you mean all squabbling is done, I agree. If, however, you mean usable to the end user, I disagree. It's imminent.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656660)
I doubt much of ANYTHING usable will be out in a "few" months... yes, Apple will effectively speed up the process but that just means we will se more html5 in the next 1-2 years instead of 3-4... trust me, HTML5 is not at all ready for prime time.

I agree and disagree.

The media components still need some tinkering. Hell, Firefox is convinced that Ogg is the way to go whereas everyone else thinks h.264 is the way to go. I lean towards h.264 because I don't see the point of "open" video codecs. I have VLC and it makes everything "open".

I agree in that it's not ready because not many companies have started shifting to it.

However, this is a side argument compared to flash being killed. Lots of sites already run flash alternatives for both videos and content.

Silock 04-06-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656660)

We'll see in a few months.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656651)
Can people stop mentioning vaporware. Courier isn't even a prototype. I mean Popular Science came out with a mock up of a PDA of the future with some seriously cool features. That was like 1999 or 2000 or so. Did we come close to it? No.

Same with Courier. I've never seen vaporware get so much attention.

What can't the iPad do?

Flash and a camera (not front facing, which I would call webcam, anyway) are not things I think are necessary. So what else would you put down?

And, for the record, I'm against the closed loop system. I wouldn't be if they allowed anything into the store, but since their rejection system is arbitrary and highly flawed, it's absolutely a big issue.

COURIER: Where do you get your information???? Courier is beyond prototype stage and is slated for a late Q3 release (which means Q1 2011). NOW, that said, all I said was I would wait for it to be out to judge if I wanted in this space... not at all certain it will fill my needs either.

IPAD: Things I can't do...
  1. make phone calls
  2. sms/mms
  3. use external USB devices
  4. watch 1080 HD video
  5. use SD memory(great for easy storage of movie libraries)
  6. no camera whatsoever... not a webcam or a "real" cam...
  7. iR connect
  8. GPS
  9. carry an extra replaceable battery
  10. not suck

Silock 04-06-2010 06:24 PM

Things I don't need an iPad to do:

1. Make Phone calls
2. Use SD memory (It has plenty of built-in storage)
3. Take pictures
4. Double as a GPS
5. Take movies
6. iR connect to . . . anything. I've had lots of computers with this capability and I have NEVER needed to use it. Ever.

There are apps that let you text. Lack of 1080 HD video sucks. It doesn't need an extra battery when the one it has lasts 10-12 hours. It will be able to use many external devices, although it does suck that you have to buy a peripheral to use it.

After using the iPad for a while, and previously saying that it was stupid, I changed my mind. It does not suck. There are some drawbacks, but the damn thing is very good at what it was designed to do.

The Electribe application is freaking awesome. I can get rid of my REAL Electribe now (sadly).

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:27 PM

Anyone care to make a bet regarding HTML5? I have been involved with the web since 1993 (anyone remember Viola on X windows?) I have heard this so many times I have lost count... "It's really only months away!!!"

Do any of you remmeber how long it took to get any kind of widespread adoption of XML???

Set some metrics and I'll make some bets...

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656671)
COURIER: Where do you get your information???? Courier is beyond prototype stage and is slated for a late Q3 release (which means Q1 2011). NOW, that said, all I said was I would wait for it to be out to judge if I wanted in this space... not at all certain it will fill my needs either.

First of all, Microsoft has a track record of not shipping products on time, not shipping what they claimed to have built, and making their videos show an "idea" or "concept" rather than actual implementation. It's like how X3's trailer was phenomenal and then look at the movie using the same footage...

Secondly, I will reiterate the video that has created all this buzz was a "concept" video. It wasn't "here's the Courier and here's how it actually works". It was a "wouldn't it be cool if we built something like this...this is what we're aiming for".

Quote:

1. make phone calls
  2. sms/mms
  4. watch 1080 HD video
  7. iR connect
  8. GPS
  10. not suck

1) Why would you want such an odd device to make phone calls? Also, it does have a mic, and it does have 3g and wi-fi, I bet it can be done.

2) I don't get sms/mms. You aren't on a plan, so it would be moot. Most plans don't lump sms and data together. So, I'm not sure I get that. Plus, if you want to, there are plenty of apps that send sms/mms via internet, which the iPad could do...

3) I've been over the USB thing before. I don't see it as a huge deal especially considering the cloud becoming more and more relevant. Perhaps if it had VLC player app or something I could see having a library you could bring along. Short of that, I don't see the need.

4) I agree but 720p is damn good.

5) I'd agree but it would only need that OR USB. Not both. And, frankly, I don't even think it needs that. Again, cloud relevance.

6) I said I count a webcam as a valid point. That's one of the things I'm waiting for in Version 2. However, I absolutely fail to see the point of an actual camera. Who wants to whip out something that big to take a photo? Seriously?

7) What do you mean? Like remotes and things?

8) Why does it need GPS? Almost any new phone now a days has GPS and you're carrying your phone with you. This doesn't replace phones and wasn't intended to. So what use is GPS on that unwieldily (for GPS) thing?

9) *sigh* It's both a valid point and a tiresome, stupid point. Plus, there will be accessories with this exact feature. I don't see why this is a big deal to people.

10) LOL, of all the things the iPad is and isn't, one of them is not suck. It's big and it's a game changer.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656683)
Anyone care to make a bet regarding HTML5? I have been involved with the web since 1993 (anyone remember Viola on X windows?) I have heard this so many times I have lost count... "It's really only months away!!!"

Do any of you remmeber how long it took to get any kind of widespread adoption of XML???

Set some metrics and I'll make some bets...

You haven't answered which kind of "ready" you're talking about.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656677)

1. Make Phone calls
3. Take pictures
4. Double as a GPS
5. Take movies
6. iR connect to . . . anything. I've had lots of computers with this capability and I have NEVER needed to use it. Ever.

There are apps that let you text. Lack of 1080 HD video sucks. It doesn't need an extra battery when the one it has lasts 10-12 hours. It will be able to use many external devices, although it does suck that you have to buy a peripheral to use it.

After using the iPad for a while, and previously saying that it was stupid, I changed my mind. It does not suck. There are some drawbacks, but the damn thing is very good at what it was designed to do.

The Electribe application is freaking awesome. I can get rid of my REAL Electribe now (sadly).

Great minds, you know.....

Shag 04-06-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656671)

1. make phone calls
  2. sms/mms
  4. watch 1080 HD video
  7. iR connect
  8. GPS
  10. not suck

Not a very convincing list, IMHO. FYI, I don't own an iPad, and currently have no plans to buy one.

I don't get the desire to be able to make phone calls or sms/mms on a tablet device - it's not a phone replacement. Do you really want to carry an additional cellular contract and phone number, just for a tablet? I sure as hell don't. Even if I owned a tablet device, I'd still carry my cellphone for use as, well, a phone. The iPad has a mic, so I assume VOIP would be possible via an app.

I'd be surprised if you could notice much screen resolution difference at the screen sizes in question.

IR connect? Really?

I believe the 3G-equipped iPad will have GPS capabilities.

I think removable storage is a push, depending on the user. 64GB should be sufficient for just about any user, unless you really want to carry around your entire video library. I can see it being an issue for some, though.

External USB storage is a valid complaint. Will be interesting to see if that is addressed at some point. They offer a way to connect cameras directly to the iPad, so I'd be surprised if we didn't see a way to connect USB devices.

No camera is a viable complaint, though the only real use for that I could see would be for video chat.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:38 PM

It can't make breakfast. Strike one for iPad.
It can't make lunch. Strike two.
It can't make dinner. Strike three.

iPad sucks!

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6656709)
No camera is a viable complaint, though the only real use for that I could see would be for video chat.

Which is a front facing camera, which just about everyone agrees it should have.

I, like you, don't see the point of a regular camera on the back.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656677)

1. Make Phone calls
3. Take pictures
4. Double as a GPS
5. Take movies

For me it doesn't do anything I can't do on my phone... especially when the HTC EVO comes out... I am not a fan of the OS AT ALL, so it really offers me nothing. IF MS Courier lives up to its hype , I may look into it, but it will probably be too much of a niche device as well...

If I can't have a REAL OS, then I'd rather just use my phone... which is why I won't even buy a device like the Gemini... why build a bulky not too portable device that uses the SAME OS as a phone and offers MARGINAL performance increases? NO THANKS

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656722)
For me it doesn't do anything I can't do on my phone... especially when the HTC EVO comes out... I am not a fan of the OS AT ALL, so it really offers me nothing. IF MS Courier lives up to its hype , I may look into it, but it will probably be too much of a niche device as well...

If I can't have a REAL OS, then I'd rather just use my phone... which is why I won't even buy a device like the Gemini... why build a bulky not too portable device that uses the SAME OS as a phone and offers MARGINAL performance increases? NO THANKS

Out of curiosity, if the next iPhone matches the HTC specs pretty closely, would you still be ruling it out?

It sounds like you just don't like iPhone/Pad OS.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656690)
You haven't answered which kind of "ready" you're talking about.

I'm talking, the kind of "ready" where MOST professional sites (the CNNs, ESPNs, NFL.coms) are using it.

Who here thinks that 90% of those type of sites will have completely phased out FLASH by 2011? ANYONE?

2012? MAYBE...

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656725)
Out of curiosity, if the next iPhone matches the HTC specs pretty closely, would you still be ruling it out?

I HATE the OS, but if it had the EVO's specs and was 4g (the biggest deal) then yes I would consider it, and would definitely GET IT if the EVO itself didn't exist.

I'm not a huge fan of Android either... but at least the HTC EVO does almost everything I could ask for.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656731)
I'm talking, the kind of "ready" where MOST professional sites (the CNNs, ESPNs, NFL.coms) are using it.

Who here thinks that 90% of those type of sites will have completely phased out FLASH by 2011? ANYONE?

2012? MAYBE...

It depends. It depends who and what adopt it when. If, for example, YouTube goes completely HTML5 say in 5 months, and a major corporation tries it with one of their sites, it could be 2011, sure. It all has to do with cost. IT also has to do with each site's redesign schedule.

Google has already made some big steps. No more gears. YouTube adoption. Apps pretty much ready for it.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656725)

Which to match the EVO, the next Iphone would need to be available on the Sprint network... unless you want to wait 18-24 months for the next carrier to catch up.

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656735)
I HATE the OS, but if it had the EVO's specs and was 4g (the biggest deal) then yes I would consider it, and would definitely GET IT if the EVO itself didn't exist.

I'm not a huge fan of Android either... but at least the HTC EVO does almost everything I could ask for.

4G is really Sprint only at this point.

So, I'm going to say no 4G. I'd put it at 10% that a Verizon phone would be LTE.

Why is 4g such a big deal?

Sounds like you're building up the EVO to be something it might not be. And I'm a fan of the EVO, sprint aside.

007 04-06-2010 06:52 PM

I'm still ticked that the iPod Touch does not have a built in camera.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656737)
It depends. It depends who and what adopt it when. If, for example, YouTube goes completely HTML5 say in 5 months, and a major corporation tries it with one of their sites, it could be 2011, sure. It all has to do with cost. IT also has to do with each site's redesign schedule.

Google has already made some big steps. No more gears. YouTube adoption. Apps pretty much ready for it.

if EVERYONE jumped on the bandwagon I MIGHT be convinced of reaching that metric by Dec. 2011... you know... 20 months from now...

Google IS leading the charge due to the need for HTML5 regarding WAVE. Even with Google pushing for it, no one I know expects it any time soon. (< 12 months)

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6656749)

Valid complaint.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656743)
4G is really Sprint only at this point.

So, I'm going to say no 4G. I'd put it at 10% that a Verizon phone would be LTE.

Why is 4g such a big deal?

Sounds like you're building up the EVO to be something it might not be. And I'm a fan of the EVO, sprint aside.

why build up 4g? because the data speeds whip the crap out of 3g (at least in Austin).. I can watch HD video on my phone... with an HDMI out I can watch NFL Ticket anywhere...

I can also use the EVO as a mobile hotspot... might be nice to have the speed to do that...

btw... let me know when Verizon actually does more than TALK about LTE... 2009? 2010? oh sorry.. END of 2010? Then devices for their LTE network... mid to late 2011... in 2015 all this wil be a moot point... but I kinda want my phone before I hit 40.

JD10367 04-06-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6656749)

It's baffling, since the most recent Nanos have a camera. Although I think it's video-only and not still, which is also dumb.

JD10367 04-06-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656757)
Valid complaint.

And I wouldn't have minded if my cellphone could talk to it but, for some reason, when I enable Bluetooth on the cell and Bluetooth on the iPod Touch they still can't communicate. Of course, my cellphone is two years old, which is Neanderthal by most standards. If you have a more current cellphone with a camera and Bluetooth, you can probably take pics, zap 'em over to the Touch, and then mail 'em out. Pain in the ass, I know, but...

007 04-06-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6656769)
It's baffling, since the most recent Nanos have a camera. Although I think it's video-only and not still, which is also dumb.

I didn't understand that move at all. Made no sense whatsoever.

Silock 04-06-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6656769)

No, the nano has sound, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock 04-06-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656731)

2012? MAYBE...

Completely. No. Enough using that it is no longer a huge issue... Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock 04-06-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6656716)
Which is a front facing camera, which just about everyone agrees it should have.

I, like you, don't see the point of a regular camera on the back.

For some people, it probably should have a webcam type of camera. I'm not that kind of user, though. I don't webchat and never have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz 04-06-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656792)
Posted via Mobile Device

but why would they not include it until it's phased out?

silly

seems to me like Apple is trying to INFLUENCE the phase out as much as they are predicting it.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656792)
Posted via Mobile Device

define "no longer a huge issue"?

if cnn, espn, abc and hulu are still using flash then it's a HUGE issue... even if just one or two of them are...

Set a time when you think 90% of the top sites (let's limit to top 100 sites and I am being generous here) have stopped using Flash...

Sometime in 2011? 2012? What quarter? (I won't even hold you to a month)

Until then, it is a HUGE issue... maybe for YOU it isn't, but MOST people enjoy watching a little streaming video at times without a seperate app or some hokey workaround.

Silock 04-06-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6656804)

silly

seems to me like Apple is trying to INFLUENCE the phase out as much as they are predicting it.

Sure, but that is par for the course from them. People freaked out when they stopped including floppy drives with their computers, and then a year later, everyone was doing it. But all you have to do is look at Flash implementation on things like the JooJoo and netbooks to see how much it sucks on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6656804)

silly

That is exactly what they are doing, FLASH is a bulky resource hog and Apple wants to avoid using adecent processor or RAM ... SO once again they have gotten lazy and arrogant in thinking that THEY can dictate the standards instead of adapting to the market... last time they tried this, they almost went bankrupt...

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656812)
Sure, but that is par for the course from them. People freaked out when they stopped including floppy drives with their computers, and then a year later, everyone was doing it. But all you have to do is look at Flash implementation on things like the JooJoo and netbooks to see how much it sucks on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

JooJoo yes.. Netbooks??? Where do you get this? I have worked on at least TEN different netbooks and not seen a SINGLE issue with flash... not once.

Silock 04-06-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656809)

if cnn, espn, abc and hulu are still using flash then it's a HUGE issue... even if just one or two of them are...

Set a time when you think 90% of the top sites (let's limit to top 100 sites and I am being generous here) have stopped using Flash...

[B]Sometime in 2011? 2012? What quarter?
Until then, it is a HUGE issue... maybe for YOU it isn't, but MOST people enjoy watching a little streaming video at times without a seperate app or some hokey workaround.

They don't have to stop using Flash, merely provide some kind of alternative. So, I won't bet on stopping using it. Providing a decent alternative, I will say 2nd quarter next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock 04-06-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656818)
JooJoo yes.. Netbooks??? Where do you get this? I have worked on at least TEN different netbooks and not seen a SINGLE issue with flash... not once.

I have an HP Mini 311 with ION graphics and it still has major issues playing Hulu videos. It is nearly impossible to watch that site, even with the latest Flash beta version.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock 04-06-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656814)
That is exactly what they are doing, FLASH is a bulky resource hog and Apple wants to avoid using adecent processor or RAM ... SO once again they have gotten lazy and arrogant in thinking that THEY can dictate the standards instead of adapting to the market... last time they tried this, they almost went bankrupt...

It isn't lazy and arrogant to not want to provide something that doesn't work very well on their machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656820)
They don't have to stop using Flash, merely provide some kind of alternative. So, I won't bet on stopping using it. Providing a decent alternative, I will say 2nd quarter next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

90% of the top 100 provide a decent alternative by Q2 next year ??? I'll take that bet! And again, this CAN NOT be a seperate app. I'm sorry but there are some sites I check once a month, I'm not going to download an app for that... MOST PEOPLE won't.

btw.. you do realize that makes the Ipad a piece of crap for a user like me until a full YEAR from now... my GUESS is quite a few nicer FLASH supporting devices will have passed it by then...

but back to the bet...

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656823)
I have an HP Mini 311 with ION graphics and it still has major issues playing Hulu videos. It is nearly impossible to watch that site, even with the latest Flash beta version.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you have the same Flash problems with other video sites?

That is NOT a flash issue btw... it is a HULU issue. they have quite possibly the worst most resource intensive video delivery i have ever witnessed... my DESKTOP sometimes has issues with them... but never with anyone else...

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656825)
It isn't lazy and arrogant to not want to provide something that doesn't work very well on their machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

it is when OTHERS go the extra mile to make it work, instead of just saying .. F--- that, we'll just lie and tell everyone that since it sucks and HTML5 is "almost out"... we decided to not include it for your own good...

I can't stand the "for your own good".. "in your best interests" mentality...

Silock 04-06-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656829)
90% of the top 100 provide a decent alternative by Q2 next year ??? I'll take that bet! And again, this CAN NOT be a seperate app. I'm sorry but there are some sites I check once a month, I'm not going to download an app for that... MOST PEOPLE won't.

btw.. you do realize that makes the Ipad a piece of crap for a user like me until a full YEAR from now... my GUESS is quite a few nicer FLASH supporting devices will have passed it by then...

but back to the bet...

Why can it not be a separate app? Especially if it is free. Downloading an app isn't exactly a chore.

And it may not be a good thing for you, but that doesn't make it a piece of crap. That is a silly statement to make about nearly ANYTHING, not just the iPad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock 04-06-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656832)
Do you have the same Flash problems with other video sites?

That is NOT a flash issue btw... it is a HULU issue. they have quite possibly the worst most resource intensive video delivery i have ever witnessed... my DESKTOP sometimes has issues with them... but never with anyone else...

Some, yes. Youtube is about the only one that doesn't give me huge issues, and that is only because of the recent Flash beta.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock 04-06-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656840)
it is when OTHERS go the extra mile to make it work, instead of just saying .. F--- that, we'll just lie and tell everyone that since it sucks and HTML5 is "almost out"... we decided to not include it for your own good...

I can't stand the "for your own good".. "in your best interests" mentality...

So you're saying that Flash does not have issues? I don't think it has anything to do with "for your own good," but because it just doesn't work well on their portable devices. There is no reason they have to use something that is just going to cause issues for the users. That is not apple's style.

BTW, I've been typing all of this on the iPad and love it. So easy to type on. Very very quick.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367 04-06-2010 07:56 PM

You geeks are getting a little testy in here. It's almost as bad as the pro-Cassel and anti-Cassel debate. Hey, I wonder if Cassel likes the iPad? Maybe we can combine it, LOL.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656842)
Why can it not be a separate app? Especially if it is free. Downloading an app isn't exactly a chore.

And it may not be a good thing for you, but that doesn't make it a piece of crap. That is a silly statement to make about nearly ANYTHING, not just the iPad.
Posted via Mobile Device

first, piece of crap FOR ME is an accurate statement...

second, it is enough of a chore that if I am on a local news site and an article has video and I have to download an app to view it, I will just skip it... MOST users would.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656859)
So you're saying that Flash does not have issues? I don't think it has anything to do with "for your own good," but because it just doesn't work well on their portable devices. There is no reason they have to use something that is just going to cause issues for the users. That is not apple's style.

BTW, I've been typing all of this on the iPad and love it. So easy to type on. Very very quick.
Posted via Mobile Device

No Flash is a resource HOG, I freely admit that... any other "issues" are usually implentation issues that are beyond Flash's control (same problems will occur in HTML5)

btw, Flash 10.1 is much better but still very far from perfect.

Silock 04-06-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656864)
first, piece of crap FOR ME is an accurate statement...

second, it is enough of a chore that if I am on a local news site and an article has video and I have to download an app to view it, I will just skip it... MOST users would.

Sorry, I missed the "for me" part of that post. My bad.

I agree that that would suck, and is a drawback, but I think that will not be a huge hindrance for most people.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 04-06-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656880)
Sorry, I missed the "for me" part of that post. My bad.

I agree that that would suck, and is a drawback, but I think that will not be a huge hindrance for most people.
Posted via Mobile Device

what about Chiefs radio broadcast? JustinTV and other sites for when you can't catch them online? KcChiefs.com streams of press conferences?

when do you think those will catch up? I bet your IPad won't be able to do anything with them for at least 18 months... probably longer... by then it will be obsolete.

DaFace 04-06-2010 08:43 PM

I played with one in Best Buy tonight. Seems like an OK toy, but I don't think I could personally get used to the touchpad keyboard for my "normal" internet usage. Not that we were really considering it as an option, but we went with an HP netbook instead.

Silock 04-06-2010 08:46 PM

FlyCast for radio. Well, my phone also does Chiefs radio broadcasts for free with Sprint NFL Mobile.

ESPN already has an app that includes video highlights and other content, although it costs $5 (boo). I'm sure it won't be long until the NFL and other places make apps that include game streaming. Netflix already has their application ready to go.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656965)
FlyCast for radio. Well, my phone also does Chiefs radio broadcasts for free with Sprint NFL Mobile.

ESPN already has an app that includes video highlights and other content, although it costs $5 (boo). I'm sure it won't be long until the NFL and other places make apps that include game streaming. Netflix already has their application ready to go.

but what a pain in the ass to have to get an app for each one.... blah, that is for the freakin birds

bad model. let's just go back to trading games on floppy on my old Apple IIc YAY!

beyond dumb to get a seperate app for every different site that I MAY at one time visit and want media from

aturnis 04-06-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656851)
Some, yes. Youtube is about the only one that doesn't give me huge issues, and that is only because of the recent Flash beta.
Posted via Mobile Device

Go download the latest "debugger" version of flash. I have been having problems w/ all things video since I "upgraded" to win7 and my gf, who has the same EXACT laptop, only newer w/ win7 preinstalled had none. I finally installed a new flash version(thanks to AustinChief for mentioning 10.1 earlier) and all seems well.

Give it a whirl and let me know if it help.

The Rick 04-06-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656809)

Sometime in 2011? 2012? What quarter? (I won't even hold you to a month)

CNN, ESPN, and other big names are already on board with HTML5...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/

Silock 04-06-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656982)
but what a pain in the ass to have to get an app for each one.... blah, that is for the freakin birds

bad model. let's just go back to trading games on floppy on my old Apple IIc YAY!

beyond dumb to get a seperate app for every different site that I MAY at one time visit and want media from

Eh, not really. You only have to do it once, and then it's faster to access than going to the website.

007 04-06-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6657079)
Eh, not really. You only have to do it once, and then it's faster to access than going to the website.

I agree with some of Austinchiefs points but Silock is right in this case.

I was annoyed about having extra apps as well but it is essentially the same as having a favorite link saved in your browser. Only streamlined.

AustinChief 04-07-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6657124)
I agree with some of Austinchiefs points but Silock is right in this case.

I was annoyed about having extra apps as well but it is essentially the same as having a favorite link saved in your browser. Only streamlined.

so, you'll have a kcchiefs.com app and a kcfx app, and a (etc etc) app? it's fine for youtube or pandora or even cnn... but it is NOT a sustainable model....

AustinChief 04-07-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6657064)
CNN, ESPN, and other big names are already on board with HTML5...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/

they are "on board" .. HELL everyone is "on board" but it's implementation that is key... and again... what about your local sites? I'll tell you what... come back to me in 12 months and tell me that NO site you want to go to is a problem and I'll eat crow... if NOT, then the Ipad is obsolete before the technology caught up with its limitations....

Wanna bet if there is a better piece of hardware out in 12 months than the "latest" Ipad?

Same thing with Iphone... from a tech standpoint, it is now on the trailing edge... in 3 months it will be FAR behind...

Kudos to Apple for pushing good tech, but I'm not willing to finance it just to feel "cool" with a Kindle on steroids... (btw, anyone who wants it because they want to use it as an ereader with more functionality... props... because that is exactly what it is... my buddy just wanted that and I agree that he got value for his purchase)

AustinChief 04-07-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6657079)

ONCE? once for how many damn sites? lets count... Pandora? Youtube? KCChiefs (if offered)? KCFX(if offered)? It adds up pretty damn quick. For me, it would require over 50 apps... that is just plain stupid.

007 04-07-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6657158)
so, you'll have a kcchiefs.com app and a kcfx app, and a (etc etc) app? it's fine for youtube or pandora or even cnn... but it is NOT a sustainable model....

No trying to get in on the argument here. Just saying, the apps work fine for me at this time. I don't waste any time on kcchiefs.com or kcfx anyway. heh

I get my Chiefs info here.:thumb:

Deberg_1990 04-07-2010 06:28 AM

Wi-Fi issues dominate iPad user complaints

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ser_complaints

Some owners of Apple Inc.'s new iPad have complained of weak wireless signals, dropped connections and slow surfing speeds, messages on the company's support forum show.

Although users have also reported problems with recharging their iPads from Windows-based PCs or synchronizing the tablet with other computers, Wi-Fi issues have garnered the most complaints, as tallied by the message counts on multiple support forum threads.

As of late Monday, the thread titled "Weak wifi" led all others with more than 130 messages, and nearly 13,000 views.

"Signal is weak, downloading anything is painfully slow and it will drop the signal and go offline every 5-10 minutes," said a user identified as "mbell75" early Sunday, near the beginning of the thread. "Pretty annoying."

"It will work fine for a while, but show a low signal. Then, after a few minutes of use, my connection will drop completely and I will have to reset my wi-fi radio," complained "mlp8104" in a message Monday afternoon.

The biggest beef was that the iPad's Wi-Fi signal indicator would fluctuate, going from full-strength to the lowest level without warning, or with any change in the tablet's location.

"My wifi went down to 1 bar after working great for a few hours," said "syunker" Monday. "My download speeds started to crawl, I couldn't even surf the web. I rebooted my router and it didn't help."

Several users said their iPads either could not acquire a signal at all or could only receive a faint signal, while other devices, including new Apple laptops and iPhones, had no similar trouble. "In our living room where laptops get a full signal, my iPad gets a very poor signal which is so bad that it even cuts completely out sometimes," complained "Panjandrum" Monday morning. "I had to walk the iPad into the same room as my router to get a movie rental to download."

As is often the case on Apple's support threads, users hoped not only that a software update to the iPad's operating system would solve their problems, but also that one would be released soon.

Others, however, chimed in to say that they were perfectly happy with the iPad's Wi-Fi signal, saying it was strong and stable at home, work and in public hot spots at locations such as Starbucks.

Some who reported that their iPads intermittently lost a Wi-Fi connection said that they solved the problem temporarily by shutting down the iPad and then restarting it. "But should I have to do that with a device that costs this much and has so much hype about changing the way we use the Net?" asked "sandersn" on Sunday in a different thread.

On Monday, Apple posted several iPad-specific support documents to its Web site, including one that suggested users modify settings on their wireless routers. Another troubleshooting document told users to "Move closer to the Wi-Fi router or hotspot," if they were having problems.

Suggestions from users ranged from disabling the iPad's "Ask to Join Networks" feature to rebooting routers.

Connectivity issues aren't new for Apple hardware. Shortly after the company's ultra-thin MacBook Air debuted in early 2008, owners complained about weak signals when their notebooks' lids were closed. And iPhone owners have complained about poor reception and lost signals over AT&T's data network since the smartphone first appeared in 2007, to the point that several filed class-action lawsuits against both Apple and the carrier.

The version of the iPad now for sale connects to the Internet only via Wi-Fi; a more expensive model that also uses AT&T's 3G data network is not slated to ship until later this month.

Over the weekend, users voiced frustration about other problems, including an apparent inability to recharge the iPad through USB ports on many computers, keyboards and hubs. On Saturday, for example, Consumer Reports said that its initial testing indicated that the iPad would recharge via the USB ports on desktop and laptop Macs, but failed to do so on USB ports in a variety of Windows PCs, or through the ports on a keyboard directly connected to a Mac.

(Computerworld noticed the same "Not Charging" message when an iPad was connected to the USB port on a wired Mac keyboard.)

Apple clarified the recharging process in a support document published Sunday, noting that the iPad requires a high-power USB 2.0 port to charge while it is in use. The iPad will only charge via older USB ports, including those on most Windows machines, when the tablet is asleep, Apple said.

Apple began selling iPads Saturday at its own retail stores and Best Buy. On Monday, the company announced that it sold 300,000 iPads the first day.

Shag 04-07-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6657159)
they are "on board" .. HELL everyone is "on board" but it's implementation that is key... and again... what about your local sites? I'll tell you what... come back to me in 12 months and tell me that NO site you want to go to is a problem and I'll eat crow... if NOT, then the Ipad is obsolete before the technology caught up with its limitations....

According to that link, all the sites listed on that page are already serving their multimedia content to iPad users via HTML5. Sounds like implementation is already happening, and was driven by the iPad launch.

IMHO, the iPad could potentially have a major effect on pushing HTML5 into the market quickly. I believe there were around 300k sold on the first day, and that was a US-only launch, not including the 3G model. If that product continues to move well (and I think it will), I think it will have a huge effect on the large/popular sites implementing HTML5 versions of their sites in the near future.

Silock 04-07-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6657160)
ONCE? once for how many damn sites? lets count... Pandora? Youtube? KCChiefs (if offered)? KCFX(if offered)? It adds up pretty damn quick. For me, it would require over 50 apps... that is just plain stupid.

Yet, it's still one or two taps away.

Step 1: Tap App Store icon (instead of web browser)
Step 2: Type in App name (instead of website URL)
Step 3: Tap to download (instead of tapping to navigate to website)
Step 4: App installs (maybe slower than loading the full webpage)

Subsequent steps: Tap App to use program, instead of having to repeat the steps in parentheses above.

Doesn't really seem like a pain in the ass to me. It's about the same amount of effort the first time around, and from there on out, it's faster access.

I think you just don't *want* to like the concept.

Mr. Laz 04-07-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6658203)

well ... tbh the concept is irritating

it's crap that Micro$oft does too when they get too cocky about how big they are and stop asking "How can we give the customers what they want?"

teedubya 04-07-2010 02:03 PM

One of my writers on MobileLocalSocial wrote this today.

Steve Jobs is Selling Sugar Water and You Tools are Buying it….

Deena Blas | Apr 07, 2010 | Comments (3)

<table><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td><iframe src="http://api.tweetmeme.com/button.js?url=http://mobilelocalsocial.com/2010/04/steve-jobs-is-selling-sugar-water-and-you-tools-are-buying-it%e2%80%a6/&source=mobloso&style=compact" width="90" frameborder="0" height="20" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://mobilelocalsocial.com/wp-cont...bs-266x300.jpg$499 Mustache Rides

So you stood in line on Saturday and got your “Ipad”( clap, clap, clap.) Way to go, Flintstone, let me know how that $500 glorified Iphone works out with the one you already have….that does MORE.

Job’s is your 21st century medicine man selling you sugar water at the street fairs. The Macintosh, Macbook, Ipod, Iphone….all novelties. Innovative, yes, but just enough to suck you simpletons in with “easy to navigate”, “simple to use,” and hop on the Apple truck.

Don’t get me wrong, I do envy the Iphone. It was cool on release and three years later, the cool factor has yet to subside. So why am I busting Jobs balls??

Job’s released ANOTHER piece of hardware missing key tools that should’ve been included. He knows he could have kicked the hell out of the netbook so why is the Ipad missing just enough hardware, software and other components to make even the average geek mind go, “ WTF, Apple?”

Cmon, no USB outlets, a simple camera, not even simple Flash? Because he wants you to buy the utilities, hardware or the upgrade version you’re going to see announced in (wait for it) that only Apple can provide.

Ka-ching!

But, oh no you say, I would die without my shit…no Bozo you won’t. And don’t tell me you how you jailbreaked your Iphone to get it to do what it should’ve done in the first place.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you, a fool three times, you’re just a screw and deserve to have your money taken.

I, ideally, have the utmost respect for Jobs, he’s a businessman, plain and simple. But this time around, I had hoped we would start expecting more.

Final thought, don’t swallow the blue pill but if you do…don’t gag when you swallow, it aint sexy.

The Franchise 04-07-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs (Post 6658236)

ROFL

Mr. Laz 04-07-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

<table><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://mobilelocalsocial.com/wp-cont...bs-266x300.jpg

pr0ntache FTW!!!!

AustinChief 04-07-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6658203)
Yet, it's still one or two taps away.

Step 1: Tap App Store icon (instead of web browser)
Step 2: Type in App name (instead of website URL)
Step 3: Tap to download (instead of tapping to navigate to website)
Step 4: App installs (maybe slower than loading the full webpage)

Subsequent steps: Tap App to use program, instead of having to repeat the steps in parentheses above.

Doesn't really seem like a pain in the ass to me. It's about the same amount of effort the first time around, and from there on out, it's faster access.

gotcha, so I am happily surfing along and I come upon an interesting link that sends me to somewebsite.com where I read a cool article and see there is video embedded... with a REAL device I can (step 1) click video and watch it... OR with my iPAD I can (Step 1) exit browser (step 2) open app store (step 3) find app for that site (step 4) download app (step 5) install app (step 6) try to find content from site I was browsing happily 5 minutes ago....

WOW! You are right! I must be crazy! That is the most seemless intuitive process imaginable... why on earth would I not want to jump through those hoops every time I run across video online!!! Thank you Steve Jobs for showing me a better way to surf the web!

It's ridiculous. What you have is a really cool e-reader or more accurately an iphone with a bigger, better screen that won't fit in your pocket or make phone calls.

AustinChief 04-07-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6657320)
According to that link, all the sites listed on that page are already serving their multimedia content to iPad users via HTML5. Sounds like implementation is already happening, and was driven by the iPad launch.

IMHO, the iPad could potentially have a major effect on pushing HTML5 into the market quickly. I believe there were around 300k sold on the first day, and that was a US-only launch, not including the 3G model. If that product continues to move well (and I think it will), I think it will have a huge effect on the large/popular sites implementing HTML5 versions of their sites in the near future.

The iPad will drive some sites to cobble together whatever they can in "HTML5" as a patch for iPad users... absolutely... ACTUAL implementation of HTML5 and resolution of the standard is being driven by Google more than ANYONE... It's still not "months" away unless 12-18 months is what you mean...

JD10367 04-07-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6657207)
Wi-Fi issues dominate iPad user complaints

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ser_complaints

Not a surprise, I have the same issue with my iPod Touch. Goes from three bars to one bar in a flash and then back to three. Luckily, though, with the iPod Touch, the heaviest thing you're doing is downloading an app.

JD10367 04-07-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Steve Jobs is Selling Sugar Water and You Tools are Buying it….

So you stood in line on Saturday and got your “Ipad”( clap, clap, clap.) Way to go, Flintstone, let me know how that $500 glorified Iphone works out with the one you already have….that does MORE.

Job’s is your 21st century medicine man selling you sugar water at the street fairs. The Macintosh, Macbook, Ipod, Iphone….all novelties. Innovative, yes, but just enough to suck you simpletons in with “easy to navigate”, “simple to use,” and hop on the Apple truck.

I agree that it's a glorified iPhone. I agree that it's bullshit that Apple released (as usual) a product limited in abilites. It's stupid that there's no Flash.

However, I wouldn't list everything they've done as "novelties". The original Mac ushered in the world of modern personal computing with GUIs and mice. The iPod did the same with portable music players (and still has the easiest and most intuitive controls). The iPhone did the same for multifunctional cellphones.

The iPad is not really new or innovative. It's a tablet computer. It's a glorified e-reader. It's a giant iPhone. Whatever you want to call it. But innovative, it isn't.

teedubya 04-07-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6658251)
ROFL

what does that mean?

If you know my name, check out the domain whois, beeeyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch. :-P

And I've had over 20 people write for it, so far. :-D

Fish 04-07-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6658280)
gotcha, so I am happily surfing along and I come upon an interesting link that sends me to somewebsite.com where I read a cool article and see there is video embedded... with a REAL device I can (step 1) click video and watch it...

Not exactly. You left out a few steps. (step 2) Open a new browser window or tab. (step 3) Browse to adobe.com/flashplayer (step 4) Download flash player (step 5) Close your browser (step 6) Install Flash player (step 7) Reopen browser (step 8) Go back to the website with the video

Flash player isn't embedded into the OS. It requires a simple one time installation as well. No different than going to the App Store. Flash player also requires constant updates when a new version comes out.

AustinChief 04-07-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6658359)
Not exactly. You left out a few steps. (step 2) Open a new browser window or tab. (step 3) Browse to adobe.com/flashplayer (step 4) Download flash player (step 5) Close your browser (step 6) Install Flash player (step 7) Reopen browser (step 8) Go back to the website with the video

Flash player isn't embedded into the OS. It requires a simple one time installation as well. No different than going to the App Store. Flash player also requires constant updates when a new version comes out.

COME ON? seriously? so, let's say I buy the HTC EVO in June, I MAY have to download flash ONCE then never again... as oppossed to going thru that clusterfuck I described above EVERY SINGLE TIME...

Please. Let's not be stupid here.

Mr. Laz 04-07-2010 02:50 PM

wow ... i've never seen AustinChiefs get passionate about anything and he's ready to pull a gat and throw down over this IPad stuff. :eek:

LMAO