ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Still looks like a Sutton Defense... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324646)

bricks 08-25-2019 10:33 AM

Question guys, should Kpassagnon start?

He’s been great in the preseason. I think he is outplaying both Speaks and Okafor.

lcarus 08-25-2019 10:36 AM

I'll reserve judgement until later in the season. Even Spags himself said it takes a few regular season games to gel. But it doesn't look good so far. This clearly isn't going to be a top tier defense. Just gotta hope they're middle of the pack at least.

Thornhill hasnt looked good to me in the spots I've seen. That's probably been the most disappointing thing for me because I had hoped he would hit the ground running and be an immediate playmaker. It appears he's not as far along as we'd hoped.

Chief Northman 08-25-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 14408739)

He’s been great in the preseason. I think he is outplaying both Speaks and Okafor.

Okafor is stout vs the run and will likely play on early downs. KPass has taken advantage of some athletic mismatches in pass rush, but he gets washed too easily in the run game.

kcclone 08-25-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 14408739)

Kpass has looked really good all around. Okafor has looked good too, but he's had a lot less snaps.

Speaks is done for the year, right?

That's kind of what they were hinting on 810. Tim Grunhard said "expect some bad news on Speaks soon".

Easy 6 08-25-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcclone (Post 14408561)
Honey Badger >>>>> Berry

Thornhill > Lucas

Breeland + Mo Claiborne > Nelson/Scandrick

Frank Clark + Okafor >>>> Houston/Ford (against the run)

Frank Clark + Okafor = Houston/Ford (pass rush)

Hitchens in 4-3 > Hitchens in 3-4

Spaggs > Sutton

Kpass in 4-3 >>>>> Kpass in 3-4

I really am expecting significant improvement as the season goes on. What matters the most is how these guys play once January begins.

:thumb:

Chief Northman 08-25-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 14408746)
I'll reserve judgement until later in the season. Even Spags himself said it takes a few regular season games to gel. But it doesn't look good so far. This clearly isn't going to be a top tier defense. Just gotta hope they're middle of the pack at least.

Thornhill hasnt looked good to me in the spots I've seen. That's probably been the most disappointing thing for me because I had hoped he would hit the ground running and be an immediate playmaker. It appears he's not as far along as we'd hoped.

Thornhill is one small part of a bigger problem.

Ward is getting burned in man, Fuller can’t run with speedy slot receivers and Breeland looks great one snap, and lousy the next. Mathieu has played like 5-6 snaps all pre-season and already got dinged.

Since Reid/Dorsey got to KC, they cannot identify secondary talent for shit. The one guy they identified with talent got shipped out for a miss on character. Unless Andy Reid inherits a strong defensive personnel group and coaches, the defense will always be neglected while he is in charge.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-25-2019 01:19 PM

Still looks like a shit thread starter...

Chiefshrink 08-25-2019 03:50 PM

I'm not worried about Thornhill. He is just out of position because he is getting used to the pro game which is much faster therefore his read/react decision making(a la instinct) must become much quicker.

chinaski 08-25-2019 04:00 PM

:skip:

Bob Sutton smiley?

Rasputin 08-25-2019 07:59 PM

I think its going be a work in progress but that's what we should expect is just watch for them getting better each week and meanwhile watch the offense take the lead and not look back.

We will know more by mid~season on how this defense is going hold up but too early to tell anything.

I do think it's just going get better as the season unfolds.

O.city 08-25-2019 08:09 PM

Everyone thinks corner is the big missing spot, it's not got a bunch of all pro's for sure, but it's solid i think. Once Thornhill and the HB get some time together, i think the back end will be relaly good

The biggest issue is that they need a guy at the LB spot that can play all 3 downs and be a real difference maker in there. Lee is probably the most talented and hopefully he can do it.

Marcellus 08-25-2019 08:31 PM

All I m going to say is it looks good on paper but I need to see it on the field.

DRM08 08-25-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mililo4cpa (Post 14408579)
Also note that, as soon as Mahomes leaves the game, our offense goes 3 and out....that's not going to happen too often in the regular season. We'll have many sustained drives, which will give our defense a chance to rest, recover, and adjust to what the other teams are doing.

In short, I think we'll be OK

I dunno about the sustained drives. Pat likes to score pretty fast, lol

jonzie04 08-25-2019 08:45 PM

I think the front 7 looks pretty damn good. Run defense looks greatly improved. Lots of bodies around the tackle most plays.

BossChief 08-25-2019 09:56 PM

The defense can be nasty if we can add a true #1 corner, or someone in house steps up into that role effectively.