ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Your Top 5 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272459)

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-25-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Van Halen (Post 9625391)
Almost every team who needed a quarterback this offseason has decided that the available free agents are better than Geno Smith will likely turn out to be.

It's apparent that you didn't understand my argument.

Dr. Van Halen 04-25-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9625398)
It's apparent that you didn't understand my argument.

No, I understand it. It's the one we keep hearing on the radio -- that the best quarterback in the draft should be drafted no matter the draft position and that no GM is risking the pick because they are afraid. The risk/reward analysis is valid, I think, in most years. It's just NO ONE thinks Geno Smith is all that good.

Chief_For_Life58 04-25-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Van Halen (Post 9625414)
No, I understand it. It's the one we keep hearing on the radio -- that the best quarterback in the draft should be drafted no matter the draft position and that no GM is risking the pick because they are afraid. The risk/reward analysis is valid, I think, in most years. It's just NO ONE thinks Geno Smith is all that good.

and neither are any of the other guys that are gonna get picked in the top 20 today. Theyre pretty much all projects. so take the guy who has the most potential to turn your team into a superbowl contender if he hits.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-25-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Van Halen (Post 9625414)

How do you know it's b/c they don't think he's good? Could it not be b/c they would rather hold on to their jobs with the additional layer of certainty and comfort provided by known quantities?

Dr. Van Halen 04-25-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9625433)
How do you know it's b/c they don't think he's good? Could it not be b/c they would rather hold on to their jobs with the additional layer of certainty and comfort provided by known quantities?

Because it's not just the GM's who are passing. Everyone who seems to know anything about the sport simply is not enthusiastic about Geno Smith. I'm very sorry, as you seem to be personally invested in being right about him.

Dr. Van Halen 04-25-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9625430)
and neither are any of the other guys that are gonna get picked in the top 20 today. Theyre pretty much all projects. so take the guy who has the most potential to turn your team into a superbowl contender if he hits.

No, most people seem to agree that the two LT's are superior.

Chief_For_Life58 04-25-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Van Halen (Post 9625496)
No, most people seem to agree that the two LT's are superior.

every single year there are these all universe instant hall of fame cant miss offensive lineman. every draft.

Messier 04-25-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9625275)
I wouldn't take a guard at 1.10.

The difference between 1.1 and 1.10 is less than the yearly salary our punter is making.

What has the best LT in football gotten the Browns? What did Jake Long get the Dolphins? How many games did the Chiefs win b/c of Will Shields, or the Jets in Faneca's prime?

What does Geno Smith hitting get the Chiefs? In contention for the SB every year. What does Geno Smith missing get the Chiefs? No worse off than they are right now.

What are the financial implications of the Chiefs whiffing on Geno Smith? Minimal. What effect does Geno Smith missing have on the Chiefs ability to build a competitive core? The same that the current version of Alex Smith does--one that's not good enough.

What QB has the best chance of hitting in this draft? Geno Smith.

So, I say again, what's the downside of taking a QB in this situation if you are the Chiefs, Jags, Eagles, Raiders, Browns, Cardinals, Bills, Jets, and several others? Are you going to be unable to not win the Super Bowl the same way you didn't win it last year?

Given the structure of the NFL's TV contracts these teams have little-to-nothing to lose by making these moves. The team isn't going to go under. It will still turn a tremendous profit. And it might turn you into a consistent competitor.

Of course, if the QB misses, the GM will most likely lose his job, and that is why most of the teams will pass on one, because the GM values his job security over the purpose of his job.

You just assume something in this post. That Geno has the best chance of working out. If I had to take Geno or the field as to who will be the best QB, I'll take the field. I know you don't agree, but oh well

I mean it when I say I don't think any team would take a QB if they had the first pick. You say you've got to take a chance. You are, no matter who you pick. Reid took a chance trading for AS. I think they take a lot into consideration before making a pick this high, you have to. Your kind of asking them to draft like Al Davis, take the flashiest player available, whoever wows you. It usually doesn't go so well.

You'd take Geno and that's fine. I'm saying the people who have researched more and have met with these players and have forgotten more about them than anyone on CP will ever know about them, aren't sold on these QBs this high.

HemiEd 04-25-2013 02:09 PM

Geno plays the position that has the highest potential of making a difference for the team to actually get some where, and he is the best of those playing that position, available in the draft.

The excuse "most think he is not good enough," is just the latest in a long line of excuses not to take a chance on achieving excellence at the risk of failing at mediocrity.

Beef Supreme 04-25-2013 02:30 PM

Never seen a QB with a 71% completion rating get shit on so much as a prospect.

Chiefnj2 04-25-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9625761)
Never seen a QB with a 71% completion rating get shit on so much as a prospect.

Graham Harrell says hello.

Rain Man 04-25-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9625275)
I wouldn't take a guard at 1.10.

The difference between 1.1 and 1.10 is less than the yearly salary our punter is making.

What has the best LT in football gotten the Browns? What did Jake Long get the Dolphins? How many games did the Chiefs win b/c of Will Shields, or the Jets in Faneca's prime?

What does Geno Smith hitting get the Chiefs? In contention for the SB every year. What does Geno Smith missing get the Chiefs? No worse off than they are right now.

What are the financial implications of the Chiefs whiffing on Geno Smith? Minimal. What effect does Geno Smith missing have on the Chiefs ability to build a competitive core? The same that the current version of Alex Smith does--one that's not good enough.

What QB has the best chance of hitting in this draft? Geno Smith.

So, I say again, what's the downside of taking a QB in this situation if you are the Chiefs, Jags, Eagles, Raiders, Browns, Cardinals, Bills, Jets, and several others? Are you going to be unable to not win the Super Bowl the same way you didn't win it last year?

Given the structure of the NFL's TV contracts these teams have little-to-nothing to lose by making these moves. The team isn't going to go under. It will still turn a tremendous profit. And it might turn you into a consistent competitor.

Of course, if the QB misses, the GM will most likely lose his job, and that is why most of the teams will pass on one, because the GM values his job security over the purpose of his job.

This post gets my elephant seal of approval.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...iwPSmk0w3iHpMS

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-25-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9625561)
You just assume something in this post. That Geno has the best chance of working out. If I had to take Geno or the field as to who will be the best QB, I'll take the field. I know you don't agree, but oh well

I mean it when I say I don't think any team would take a QB if they had the first pick. You say you've got to take a chance. You are, no matter who you pick. Reid took a chance trading for AS. I think they take a lot into consideration before making a pick this high, you have to. Your kind of asking them to draft like Al Davis, take the flashiest player available, whoever wows you. It usually doesn't go so well.

You'd take Geno and that's fine. I'm saying the people who have researched more and have met with these players and have forgotten more about them than anyone on CP will ever know about them, aren't sold on these QBs this high.

If I had the choice of every other QB not named Geno Smith available as a singular selection in this draft I'd take them over Geno too, but this isn't Storage Wars, you don't get to bid on lots, you take individual players.

I assume you're the guy who gets dealt pocket Kings preflop and folds under the gun because your odds of winning the hand are less than everyone else combined.