ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234369)

Hammock Parties 03-03-2011 01:48 PM

Sweet! Less than a year and I get to see Star Wars on the big screen again. DLP BABY! FAP FAP FAP

Predarat 03-03-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7464693)
Maybe they are out of print now, but they have been on VHS tape for years....in the 80's, and 90's...IM pretty sure i threw all my tapes away.

I will keep looking on ebay, amazon and such but they never realeased the VHS version of Revenge of the Sith around Nashville. I have the other 5 in VHS.

kysirsoze 03-03-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayWhit (Post 7049426)
The Episode I lightsaber duel will look incredible in 3D.

This is going to kick ass.

I wonder if a 3rd dimension will make me give a shit about the characters or anything going on. I'm guessing not. I'll never be able to test my theory, though, since there is no force on Earth that can compel me to attend this shameless money grab.

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7464741)
I wonder if a 3rd dimension will make me give a shit about the characters or anything going on. I'm guessing not. I'll never be able to test my theory, though, since there is no force on Earth that can compel me to attend this shameless money grab.

I never understood the hate for Phantom Menace. I thought it was an awesome Star Wars film, complete with Jedi vs. Sith, a great race, awesome lightsaber battles and the perfect Jedi in Liam Neeson.

I also believe that it's John Williams finest Star Wars score, maybe his best score, ever.

Personally, Jar Jar never bothered me and I liked the story line quite a bit. With that said, AOTC is absolutely unwatchable for me and ROTS is only slightly better.

Fire Me Boy! 03-05-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7467982)
I never understood the hate for Phantom Menace. I thought it was an awesome Star Wars film, complete with Jedi vs. Sith, a great race, awesome lightsaber battles and the perfect Jedi in Liam Neeson.

I also believe that it's John Williams finest Star Wars score, maybe his best score, ever.

Personally, Jar Jar never bothered me and I liked the story line quite a bit. With that said, AOTC is absolutely unwatchable for me and ROTS is only slightly better.

It was Jar-Jar and little Anni. Both were awful.

mnchiefsguy 03-05-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 7464728)
I will keep looking on ebay, amazon and such but they never realeased the VHS version of Revenge of the Sith around Nashville. I have the other 5 in VHS.

According to the Wiki, Revenge of the Sith was never released on VHS in the USA, but it was released on VHS in Australia and the UK.

"This release is notable because, due to marketing issues, it was the first Star Wars film never to be released on VHS in the United States.[43] However, the film was released on VHS in Australia, the United Kingdom and other countries in the world.[44]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...ge_of_the_Sith

mnchiefsguy 03-05-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7467982)

Without Jar-Jar, Phantom Menace would have been a fantastic film. It did a very good job setting up the underpinnings of the fall of the Jedi and the rise of the Empire. You just have to make it through all of the Jar Jar crap.

I totally agree with your comments about Williams score, Phantom is one of my favorites that he has done. It is a fantastic piece of musical work. And the podrace is pretty awesome too. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy! 03-05-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 7468072)
Without Jar-Jar, Phantom Menace would have been a fantastic film. It did a very good job setting up the underpinnings of the fall of the Jedi and the rise of the Empire. You just have to make it through all of the Jar Jar crap.

I totally agree with your comments about Williams score, Phantom is one of my favorites that he has done. It is a fantastic piece of musical work. And the podrace is pretty awesome too. :thumb:

The podrace would have been awesome, but for me, honestly, that two-headed announcer absolutely ruined it. It hate Greg Proops. The score is first rate, though.

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7468018)
It was Jar-Jar and little Anni. Both were awful.

Neither bothered me. I loved the political undertones, Liam Neeson's portrayal of Qui-Gon Jin, who embodied what I had imagined the Jedi to be before Order 66, and thought that Maul was an awesome (although under-used) Sith Lord.

My biggest complaint of PM was the casting of Samuel L. Jackson and the character Ric Olie, who explained everything before it happened.

LMAO

Fire Me Boy! 03-05-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7468096)
Neither bothered me. I loved the political undertones, Liam Neeson's portrayal of Qui-Gon Jin, who embodied what I had imagined the Jedi to be before Order 66, and thought that Maul was an awesome (although under-used) Sith Lord.

My biggest complaint of PM was the casting of Samuel L. Jackson and the character Ric Olie, who explained everything before it happened.

LMAO

Jar Jar bothered me more than Jake Lloyd, and I also could have done without Samuel L. Jackson. Ray Parks as Darth Maul was awesome, and is one of the better villains in the entire series.

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2011 12:07 PM

Personally, I think Lucas "****ed up" the prequels after TPM because he listened to the fans.

People were clamoring for something far less simple than the PM and more in the vein of ESB. I think had he stayed true to his original vision, the prequels would have been better received.

The bottom line for me is that The Phantom Menace looked and felt like a Star Wars film to me. It was filmed on location in Venice and Tunisia and looked like it. It was shot to film (not digital) and has a very "rich" look. It feels like a great film, even though Jar-Jar was annoying for many.

AOTC looks cheesy digital with too many blue screens. The Geonosis segment looks like a bad video game, especially the superimposed actors. The lightsaber fights were poorly coordinated and Jango Fett's death was an afterthought. Besides that, George Lucas could have gotten a better performance from a digital character than he did from Hayden, who's an absolutely awful, wooden actor.

ROTS was better, but Palpatine's transformation was comical. The Wookie Home World looked far less digital than any of the worlds in AOTC, but it wasn't that convincing. I liked the storyline much better and it was cool to see the lightsaber battle between Anakin & Obi Wan but overall, it felt forced and rushed.

Anakin killing children was whitewashed, Natalie Portman had a difficult time showing any interest in the film and character (besides the fact she "died of a broken heart" LMAO) and the ending was ridiculous and should have ended when Obi-Wan gave baby Luke to Owen Lars.

It was sewn up far too neatly for my taste.

Deberg_1990 03-05-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7468139)
The bottom line for me is that The Phantom Menace looked and felt like a Star Wars film to me. It was filmed on location in Venice and Tunisia and looked like it. It was shot to film (not digital) and has a very "rich" look. It feels like a great film, even though Jar-Jar was annoying for many.

100% agree. Phantom except for Jar Jar was great. The other two looked too digital to me.

AOTC is the weakest of the bunch.

Im not even sure of there needed to be 3 movies (except for monetary reasons) Theres a ton of filler in there.

I think Lucas got sort of boxed in creatively making prequels. Obscure characters and references have to match up exactly right or fanboys will go nuts.

mnchiefsguy 03-05-2011 12:29 PM

AOTC was the only one of the films that I can honestly say I walked out of the theatre and was severely disappointed in. I was disappointed with some of Revenge of the Sith, but pleased overall, and other than Jar Jar, I was very pleased with Phantom...but AOTC is the one I have watched the least.

Frazod 03-05-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 7468190)
AOTC was the only one of the films that I can honestly say I walked out of the theatre and was severely disappointed in. I was disappointed with some of Revenge of the Sith, but pleased overall, and other than Jar Jar, I was very pleased with Phantom...but AOTC is the one I have watched the least.

You need to watch the Red Letter Media reviews of these movies. They're long, but dead on in the mountains of malice they heap upon Darth Lucas for foisting these three abominations upon us, and frankly they're far more entertaining than the movies themselves.

http://redlettermedia.com/

mnchiefsguy 03-05-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7468271)
You need to watch the Red Letter Media reviews of these movies. They're long, but dead on in the mountains of malice they heap upon Darth Lucas for foisting these three abominations upon us, and frankly they're far more entertaining than the movies themselves.

http://redlettermedia.com/

Thanks for the link, I will check them out.