ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

BigMeatballDave 08-07-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8799473)
Check out Winter's Bone. Seriously. It's on Netflix. She's a hell of an actress too.

Insert obligatory sex joke :)

underEJ 08-08-2012 02:32 PM

Watched some rentals on flights this weekend. Real Steel was surprisingly entertaining, and I was also surprised that I did not want to program a robot to beat the kid in it. I usually hate movie kids, but he was pretty benign.

Also watched The Flowers of War. I was curious about it because it is one of those movies that critics absolutely hated, but viewers seem to really like. On rottentomatoes, Top critics put it at 21%, but viewers average rating is 3.9 and 78% liked it.

I did not hate it like critics, but it was hard to take the setup seriously, and I am never a fan of one dimensional villains, but I get that it would be hard to give emotional depth to the perpetrators of the invasion. That aside, the characters in the church were engaging and it is definitely watchable.

Also rewatched Drugstore Cowboy. Still as good as the day I first watched it in 1989. "You never **** me, and I always have to drive!" -Diane

DBOSHO 08-10-2012 02:10 AM

Went to see the campaign tonight.

I got a few chuckles out of it, but it wasnt ferrells best work.

Galifianakis did a better job. Showed some emotion, but overall it wasnt that good.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8804974)

Galifianakis did a better job. Showed some emotion, but overall it wasnt that good.

Shocking....

Micjones 08-10-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8804974)

Ferrell's work has always been hit-and-miss for me.
"Stranger Than Fiction" was ass.
"Talladega Nights" was the very next film.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8805050)
Ferrell's work has always been hit-and-miss for me.
"Stranger Than Fiction" was ass.
"Talladega Nights" was the very next film.

Stranger Than Fiction and Everything Must Go are the only two Farrell movies worth watching. Anything else and we're just discussing degrees of crap.

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805089)
Stranger Than Fiction and Everything Must Go are the only two Farrell movies worth watching. Anything else and we're just discussing degrees of crap.

here we go again.....

:facepalm:

I love it when the "cool kids" like to be "different" and go against the grain of the popular vote.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8805096)
here we go again.....

:facepalm:

I love it when the "cool kids" like to be "different" and go against the grain of the popular vote.

I'm not trying to be a "cool kid". I actually don't like a lot of popular comedy. Can't stand Ferrell, Sandler, Farley... mostly don't like Steve Carrell or Jim Carrey. All except Farley have done at least a couple movies I enjoyed, but most were non-standard fare for them.
  • Ferrell: Stranger Than Fiction, Everything Must Go
  • Sandler: The Wedding Singer, Funny People, Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love
  • Farley: .......
  • Carrell: Crazy Stupid Love, Dan in Real Life
  • Carrey: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Man on the Moon, Truman Show

I like Ferrell probably the least of all of them. He's the only one I'll actually leave the room for.

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805114)
I'm not trying to be a "cool kid". I actually don't like a lot of popular comedy. Can't stand Ferrell, Sandler, Farley... mostly don't like Steve Carrell or Jim Carrey. All except Farley have done at least a couple movies I enjoyed, but most were non-standard fare for them.
  • Ferrell: Stranger Than Fiction, Everything Must Go
  • Sandler: The Wedding Singer, Funny People, Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love
  • Farley: .......
  • Carrell: Crazy Stupid Love, Dan in Real Life
  • Carrey: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Man on the Moon, Truman Show

I like Ferrell probably the least of all of them. He's the only one I'll actually leave the room for.

Why do highbrow people have a problem lowering themselves to laugh at lowbrow stuff?

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8805118)
Why do highbrow people have a problem lowering themselves to laugh at lowbrow stuff?

It's not about "lowering" one's self. I just don't find it funny, never have. Humor is subjective, you know?

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:46 AM

Why do LCD audiences lap this crap up like labradoodles?

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805123)
It's not about "lowering" one's self. I just don't find it funny, never have. Humor is subjective, you know?

Ive just noticed it in alot of professional film critics over the years. They have a hard time enjoying lowbrow stuff.

Theres nothing wrong with it, nor should anyone be embarrassed by it.

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805125)
Why do LCD audiences lap this crap up like labradoodles?

Alot of the popular stuff is driven by the teen to mid 20s Friday night/sat night crowds.

That particular audience is basically just wanting to have a good time. They dont want to have to "think".

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8805127)
Ive just noticed it in alot of professional film critics over the years. They have a hard time enjoying lowbrow stuff.

Theres nothing wrong with it, nor should anyone be embarrassed by it.

I'm completely OK with not liking it. I like what I like. Hate the Stooges. But I love Airplane. Wanted to kill myself for the 45 minutes of Superbad I watched. Wedding Crashers is hysterical. Can't stand Mel Brooks. I've seen 90 percent of his work, and the only one I've enjoyed was the original Producers. Hate Dangerfield with such a passion it's almost holy.

Love Kennison, Pryor, early/mid-career Robin Williams (not so much the last 5-10 years), Mitch Hedberg, Steve Martin stand-up (not the early movies), early Eddie Murphy, some George Carlin...

Micjones 08-10-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805089)

Interesting.
Each is his own I suppose.