ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

patteeu 02-05-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6506754)
dunno what you do wrong. I could get a new release every week I bet if I wanted one. I try to get one about 3 times a month and have success probably 80-85% of the time.

None of us know what we do wrong or what we do right. Whatever the system is, it's not as simple as the simple theories in this thread speculate that it might be. Good for you though. I hope you keep having that success.

It doesn't usually bother me to have to wait. The only thing it affects is that I generally can't join in any of the ChiefsPlanet discussions about these movies because by the time I've seen them, they're old news. I also have to avoid spoilers longer than some people do.

Baby Lee 02-05-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 6505030)
An old movie, but I'd never seen it until now- Manhattan by Woody Allen. I never felt like watching a Woody Allen movie before. Growing up he was just one of the people my parents thought was hilarious, but just seemed boring and old to me. Then the whole Mia Farrow thing went down and he seemed like a creep. Since then I'd read stuff dwritten for the New Yorker and it's really great, hilarious stuff, but still never watched his films.
Anyway, I thought Manhattan was fantastic. Great writing, great casting, great acting. The black and white totally works, especially with the shots of NYC. I was surprised at how entertained I was by it. Just a really good movie.

The one time our 'speaking arts' group [debate, extemporaneous speaking, etc] competed in comedic monologues, I performed a Woody Allen bit and took it to the finals.

If you liked Manhattan [probably his best, at least most widely accoladed], at least give Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters a try.

Baby Lee 02-05-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6505233)
I've had Manhattan near the top of my Netflix queue (just behind Inglourious Basterds) since it came out in 1979 and it still says "Very Long Wait"!

I think with older, more obscure, movies like that, they literally have one or two copies total. I know I had Salo in my queue for years on 'very long wait' and one day it was just gone. The one guy who had it must've kept it, or broken it.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-05-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 6509093)
I think with older, more obscure, movies like that, they literally have one or two copies total. I know I had Salo in my queue for years on 'very long wait' and one day it was just gone. The one guy who had it must've kept it, or broken it.

weird....I just added it to my queue and it's available

patteeu 02-05-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

The part about having Manhattan in my queue was a joke (perhaps one that was more bizarre than funny :shrug:). Everything else I said about my netflix queue was the truth though.

Reaper16 02-06-2010 12:38 AM

Been rewatching 2009 film so that my best-of list will be nice and complete. Summer Hours is really, really good.

I'm waiting desperately for The White Ribbon to hit KC in a couple of weeks.

Miles 02-06-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

That Salo disc was a big collectors item for a long while. It could only be found in region 1 in the form of a rare out of print Criterion release which at one point was going for roughly $400-500 on ebay. It has since been re-released during the last year or so.

Miles 02-06-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 6509092)
If you liked Manhattan [probably his best, at least most widely accoladed], at least give Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters a try.

Also Crimes and Misdemeanors which might be my favorite of his.

Baby Lee 02-06-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6509556)
Also Crimes and Misdemeanors which might be my favorite of his.

Archer in the pink rollberblading outfit trying to hit on the gay Cuban attache may be the funniest thing I've seen all week.\

"Ohmigod. You, like, sneeze glitter."

Jenson71 02-06-2010 08:42 PM

Nice to see the Woody Allen love. A lot of my junior year of high school was spent watching probably 3/4 of all his movies. There's this charm about them that stands out. It's very comforting watching his movies. He's very skillful yet simple in his story telling, and it's best for allowing his humor to really shine through.

Reaper16 02-06-2010 09:33 PM

Skipped back to 2008: Ballast captures loneliness so well. Strong naturalistic performances from first-time actors and remarkably artistic cinematography.

jiveturkey 02-07-2010 09:45 AM

In the Loop was hilarious. I love the British guys that are constantly berating everyone.

Also watched 500 days of Summer this weekend and liked it, but didn't love it. A few funny moments, good music and lots of crazy Zooey eyes.

KCUnited 02-07-2010 10:15 AM

I watched In the Loop last night and enjoyed it. Really made me wish I could speak to people like that at my work.

Buehler445 02-08-2010 12:59 AM

Caught Fracture on TNT tonight. I had forgotten how good of a movie that is.

And in case you had forgotten, Anthony Hopkins is a BAMF.

DeepPurple 02-09-2010 01:49 PM

I saw "Zombieland" last night. It's a pretty good Zombie Killer film. The two main actors are Woody Harrelson and the nerdy guy from Adventureland. What you'll probably think to yourself is, that nerdy guy is doing a perfect Michael Cera impression, why didn't they just get Michael Cera?

Sure-Oz 02-09-2010 01:59 PM

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs - meh, worth a rent for the kids

All about Steve-not worth renting, even on netflix, but i think Luv will like it

NewChief 02-09-2010 02:06 PM

Watched Away We Go.

It was entertaining, but also annoying. Way too many over-the-top charicatures of people. One of the worst (but also the most entertaining) was the trustafarian professor and her freeloading granola husband. We, unfortunately, know quite a few parents like that in our circle of acquaintances.

irishjayhawk 02-09-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6519289)
Watched Away We Go.

It was entertaining, but also annoying. Way too many over-the-top charicatures of people. One of the worst (but also the most entertaining) was the trustafarian professor and her freeloading granola husband. We, unfortunately, know quite a few parents like that in our circle of acquaintances.

Movie in a word: weird.
Review in a word: meh.

irishjayhawk 02-09-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 6519236)
I saw "Zombieland" last night. It's a pretty good Zombie Killer film. The two main actors are Woody Harrelson and the nerdy guy from Adventureland. What you'll probably think to yourself is, that nerdy guy is doing a perfect Michael Cera impression, why didn't they just get Michael Cera?

I see that they play the same characters but I don't see him as one dimensional like Cera.

Deberg_1990 02-09-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6519265)
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs - meh, worth a rent for the kids

I actually think that flick is underrated. No, its not Pixar, but id say its near the top of the Non-Pixar animiated flicks of the past few years.

Sure-Oz 02-09-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6520016)
I actually think that flick is underrated. No, its not Pixar, but id say its near the top of the Non-Pixar animiated flicks of the past few years.

It wasn't bad, had a few funny parts, it entertained

Baby Lee 02-09-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6519289)
Watched Away We Go.

AVClub had some quality snark I wish I could recall, something about Away We Go not getting any Oscar nominations because the Academy couldn't stand the thought of Egger's next movie being about going to the Oscars and detailing the myriad ways how he was the only authentic person there.

SnakeXJones 02-09-2010 07:28 PM

Watched Cabin Fever 2 couple hours ago not that bad of a sequel alot of over the top gore, medicore acting(at best), Giuseppe Andrews is annoying as hell though but the pool scene was very unnecessary :doh!:

OnTheWarpath15 02-10-2010 09:02 AM

Netflix finally sent a copy of The Hangover, watched it last night.

Had the rest of the movie been as funny as the pictures found on the phone in the credits, it would have been worth the wait.

Still, a solid watch.

Still waiting on The Hurt Locker and Zombieland.

Reaper16 02-10-2010 09:13 AM

Re-watched Moon last night; it was as good as I remembered it being when I saw it in theaters.

I'll watch A Serious Man tonight.

Sure-Oz 02-10-2010 10:33 AM

Got 'Moon' and 'A perfect getaway' from netflix today

L.A. Chieffan 02-10-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6521514)

I'll watch A Serious Man tonight.

Id like to hear your thoughts on this. I think its probably their most surreal work since barton.

Looks normal, but very strange indeed.

blazzin311 02-10-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 6521784)
Id like to hear your thoughts on this. I think its probably their most surreal work since barton.

Very strange indeed. I concur. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it....might require a re-watch of sorts. I tend to think it's one of those kind of movies.

Reaper16 02-10-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 6521784)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin311 (Post 6521948)
Very strange indeed. I concur. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it....might require a re-watch of sorts. I tend to think it's one of those kind of movies.

Yeah, it was pretty damn strange. Its pretty Jobian in that you've got a man being tested, it seems. But the idea of him being tested is false. They aren't tests, they're just shit that happens in life. The Rabbis have no answers because there aren't any answers to give. Searching for a meaning is an empty quest; if you get hung up on figuring out why all the bad things in your life are happening to you then you'll eventually end up in an empty motel swimming pool, loudly cursing a God that doesn't exist.

Its a very anti-religious movie to me that regards its religious characters with something that moves beyond pity and into warmth.

L.A. Chieffan 02-10-2010 10:56 PM

many parallels to the book of job. and the (whirlwind) tornado at the end. i dont know, many different interpretations. coens are masters at making you think

Reaper16 02-10-2010 11:14 PM

I hope to Christ that frazod never sees A Serious Man.

Sure-Oz 02-10-2010 11:17 PM

Double Impact is on Encore HD right now

JCVD FTMFW!!!!111111111111111111

L.A. Chieffan 02-10-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6523649)
I hope to Christ that frazod never sees A Serious Man.

LMAO

frazod should probably cut out the coen brothers all together from his viewing lineup

QuikSsurfer 02-10-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 6519236)

I loved the movie. I'll probably own it.

It's pretty strange reading "salo" talk on this board. You will seriously have to make yourself sit through it.

I own it.

Burned copy.

QuikSsurfer 02-10-2010 11:48 PM

Howard the Duck is now available on instant netflix.

Frazod 02-11-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 6523689)
LMAO

frazod should probably cut out the coen brothers all together from his viewing lineup

Hey, Miller's Crossing is one of my absolute favorites. :harumph:

007 02-11-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 6523710)
Howard the Duck is now available on instant netflix.

Everybody gets their Lea Thompson fix now. :thumb:

QuikSsurfer 02-11-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6523659)
Double Impact is on Encore HD right now

JCVD FTMFW!!!!111111111111111111

Heh
Shitty camera tricks, splits, and spin-kicks.
I love jcvd!

KCChiefsMan 02-11-2010 04:20 AM

if you have netflix and use the instant watch feature, you should check out The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down. It was low budget, but the writing and acting was alright and it was pretty funny and based off of experience, it's pretty dead on, that stuff about the coke and what not, that is exactly how it goes.

Stryker 02-11-2010 08:46 AM

Thanks to you guys on the decades best!

Moon - awesome
Lars and the Real Girl - pretty damn good

District 9 - I liked it
Surrogates - sucked

Next up:
Pandorum
Public Enemies
Halloween II
Phantasm III

KJROD20 02-11-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 6511001)
Nice to see the Woody Allen love. A lot of my junior year of high school was spent watching probably 3/4 of all his movies. There's this charm about them that stands out. It's very comforting watching his movies. He's very skillful yet simple in his story telling, and it's best for allowing his humor to really shine through.

I loved Annie Hall and Mighty Aphrodite, but Match Point is my favorite Woody Allen movie. It's nowhere near a comedy, but it is a FANTASTIC movie.

Thanks to the snow day yesterday, I watched She's Just Not That Into You (gf's choice) which wasn't actually that bad. Also watched I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. I loved the Tucker Max book, but the movie was pretty awful.

OnTheWarpath15 02-11-2010 12:56 PM

Damn, I guess I just need to bitch about Netflix here and good things happen.

I had been waiting on The Hangover and The Hurt Locker for well over a month, and now I've received and watched Hangover and am getting HL tomorrow.

Zombieland has been "very long wait" for 3 weeks, so I'll be curious to see how long it takes.

The Franchise 02-11-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 6523950)
Public Enemies - Great movie.
Halloween II - Sucked ass.

patteeu 02-11-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6524642)

I had been waiting on The Hangover and The Hurt Locker for well over a month, and now I've received and watched Hangover and am getting HL tomorrow.

Zombieland has been "very long wait" for 3 weeks, so I'll be curious to see how long it takes.

Good for you. Inglourious Basterds remains a Very Long Wait at the top of my queue. :(

Sure-Oz 02-11-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6524656)

i thought public enemies was pretty ho-hum

Sure-Oz 02-11-2010 01:10 PM

I noticed that the WB movies are now showing up as a month later on the release date on netflix. the girl put time travelors wife in there and it says march 9th, even though its out now

Useful Idiot 02-11-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6509549)

I'm waiting desperately for The White Ribbon to hit KC in a couple of weeks.

are you familiar with Michael Haneke films? because Das weiße Band is right on par with his catalog. Stunning cinematography, an extremely loose who-dunnit and zero answers. I would go see it if you get the chance, it's worth it, but you should be aware of Michael Haneke's methodology, or lack of.

Reaper16 02-11-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useful Idiot (Post 6524903)
are you familiar with Michael Haneke films? because Das weiße Band is right on par with his catalog. Stunning cinematography, an extremely loose who-dunnit and zero answers. I would go see it if you get the chance, it's worth it, but you should be aware of Michael Haneke's methodology, or lack of.

I've only seen Funny Games and The Piano Teacher by him.

OnTheWarpath15 02-11-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6524672)
Good for you. Inglourious Basterds remains a Very Long Wait at the top of my queue. :(

I bought it unseen, so I didn't have to wait.

Thought about doing the same with Hurt Locker, but they finally delivered.

Good luck w/IB.

DJJasonp 02-11-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6523842)
if you have netflix and use the instant watch feature, you should check out The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down. It was low budget, but the writing and acting was alright and it was pretty funny and based off of experience, it's pretty dead on, that stuff about the coke and what not, that is exactly how it goes.

I really enjoyed this flick....yes, low-budget...but well written...funny stuff.

And a little too true as it relates to relationships, hooking up, etc.

KCChiefsMan 02-11-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6524642)

ya, I'm still waiting for the Hangover and Zombieland on the top of my que. I did get Inglorious Basterds on the day it came out though.

DJJasonp 02-11-2010 03:10 PM

I saw zombieland in the theaters.....came away extremely disappointed.

They hedged their bet...and what I mean by that....they could have made the humor much darker by having more kills (and more gory/funny kills at that).

I'm a huge zombie movie fan....and like most of them....but this just didnt live up to the hype (in my opinion).

Fire Me Boy! 02-11-2010 05:30 PM

I watched the original German version of Funny Games. Better than the remake.

Reaper16 02-11-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6525672)
I watched the original German version of Funny Games. Better than the remake.

Both versions were by Michael Haneke, curiously enough.

Fire Me Boy! 02-11-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6525777)
Both versions were by Michael Haneke, curiously enough.

I knew that. You can tell too, the English-language version is damn near a shot-for-shot remake.

Miles 02-12-2010 03:10 AM

Before The White Ribbon I had seen two previous Haneke films; Cache and The Time of the Wolf. I really disliked Time of the Wolf and while it did have some interesting things going for it, Cache overall didn't do much for me. Fortunately, while I found The White Ribbon to be of a similar style, it worked this time. It will probably take a second viewing on DVD to fully digest but I felt much of the praise about this one is deserving.

blaise 02-12-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6526614)
Before The White Ribbon I had seen two previous Haneke films; Cache and The Time of the Wolf. I really disliked Time of the Wolf and while it did have some interesting things going for it, Cache overall didn't do much for me. Fortunately, while I found The White Ribbon to be of a similar style, it worked this time. It will probably take a second viewing on DVD to fully digest but I felt much of the praise about this one is deserving.

I though Time of the Wolf was pretty good. It was depressing, but I thought it was good at showing what life could be like after a catastrophe.

Miles 02-14-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 6526671)
I though Time of the Wolf was pretty good. It was depressing, but I thought it was good at showing what life could be like after a catastrophe.

It has been a while since I have seen it and I can't really recall that much other than it was a bit of a struggle to get through. I just generally recall being annoyed with it because, unlike The White Ribbon, the slow burn pacing didn't work for me since I didn't find any of the characters or plot-lines to be very compelling.

OnTheWarpath15 02-16-2010 08:59 PM

Has anyone seen Bronson?

Reaper16 02-16-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6537926)
Has anyone seen Bronson?

Its in my queue but I don't feel compelled to put it at the top at the moment. It'll probably come in the next couple of weeks.

TrickyNicky 02-16-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Has anyone seen Bronson?

Its not a great movie, but the performance is something else.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5186/bronsonsmile5.gif

luv 02-17-2010 09:00 PM

Just watched 500 Days of Summer. LOVED IT! Haven't read back to when everyone else was talking about it in here. Everyone hate it?

Lzen 02-17-2010 10:32 PM

Just watched Surrogates. It wasn't as good as I hoped, but not a bad sci fi flick. I will say that the plot was very unoriginal, but the whole concept of the surrogates was kind of cool. Not great, but it didn't suck, either.

Sure-Oz 02-18-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 6540751)
Just watched 500 Days of Summer. LOVED IT! Haven't read back to when everyone else was talking about it in here. Everyone hate it?

I thought it was great

Fire Me Boy! 02-18-2010 03:58 PM

I got Felon in the Netflix today....

luv 02-18-2010 07:48 PM

Tonight?

definitely, maybe

jiveturkey 02-19-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Has anyone seen Bronson?

It's sitting next to me on my desk. The olympics have been hogging the time.

Great Expectations 02-19-2010 11:13 AM

500 Days of Summer is a great movie to watch if you need to please your wife or girlfriend. They will love it and it is a LOT better than any romantic comedy of the last 10 years (outside of Juno).

Sure-Oz 02-19-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 6544506)
500 Days of Summer is a great movie to watch if you need to please your wife or girlfriend. They will love it and it is a LOT better than any romantic comedy of the last 10 years (outside of Juno).

I thought it was great for those guys that get hung up on a girl as well

Buck 02-20-2010 01:32 PM

Saw "Shutter Island" last night. Very fun psychological thriller, but don't be expecting Scorcese's best.

OnTheWarpath15 02-20-2010 08:54 PM

So, finally caught The Hurt Locker.

Really only one thing I question, if one of of you military types (or someone else) could answer:

Spoiler!

Jenson71 02-20-2010 08:57 PM

Have modern film audiences lost their innocence?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSGM3ZTP2nw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSGM3ZTP2nw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

aturnis 02-20-2010 09:24 PM

I second Buck's Shutter Island review. I do have a question as to what actually happened at the end though.

blazzin311 02-20-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6547924)

Really only one thing I question, if one of of you military types (or someone else) could answer:

Spoiler!

Well I'm not an expert but I'd be willing to think so.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/x...1048751121.jpg

Bowser 02-20-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6547924)

Spoiler!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223653

ChiefsFan4Life 02-20-2010 10:30 PM

Just watched "Children of Men". One of my top 5 worst movies of all time.

Buehler445 02-20-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 6548162)

If you don't mind expanding, can I ask why? I haven't seen it yet, and others here have told me it is very good.

Reaper16 02-21-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Why? Because, ummmmmmmmmmmm wut

Reaper16 02-21-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 6547980)
I second Buck's Shutter Island review. I do have a question as to what actually happened at the end though.

Spoiler!

Bowser 02-21-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but in this case, your opinion would be wrong, lol.