ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

Pasta Little Brioni 02-17-2024 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17408016)
Oh come on.

The inference is how bad of shape the team will be if star player X who made all of these these key plays (which you listed some) isn't resigned.

There were plenty of key plays that Hill made too, but that doesn't mean it was the best use of limited resources to have meet his salary demands...

Chiefs lose or don't make all 4 Superbowls without his contributions. That's not really arguable.

DJ's left nut 02-17-2024 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard (Post 17407461)
If you listen to what Spags says regarding Bolton, he is undeniably the leader of this defense and the cog that makes it all function. Jones is an emotional leader that is outspoken. Those are two completely different things. Bolton is the leader of the D. Jones is a leader on the TEAM.

Spags fawns over Bolton and Sneed.

Just going by what Spags says, both of those guys would get new deals this off-season. But we all see what Jones does.

You're absolutely right though - Bolton is the leader of that defense if Spags is to be believed.

ThyKingdomCome15 02-17-2024 07:14 PM

Ray Lewis- Heart of the defense
Ed Reed- Soul of the defense

Chris Jones- Heart of the defense
Nick Bolton- Soul of the defense

This year's Chiefense drew comparisons to many of the all time leaders but I like this one specifically.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-17-2024 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 17408102)
Ray Lewis- Heart of the defense
Ed Reed- Soul of the defense

Chris Jones- Heart of the defense
Nick Bolton- Soul of the defense

This year's Chiefense drew comparisons to many of the all time leaders but I like this one specifically.

One of the best defensive runs in NFL history. Has anyone else ever shut down 4 top 5 offenses?

smithandrew051 02-17-2024 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17408086)
Spags fawns over Bolton and Sneed.

Just going by what Spags says, both of those guys would get new deals this off-season. But we all see what Jones does.

You're absolutely right though - Bolton is the leader of that defense if Spags is to be believed.

Isn’t it reasonable to think that Bolton’s number would only go up if you wait another year?

He was good this year but had an injury and a few bad moments.

I definitely think this is the time to get it done for the next few seasons.

smithandrew051 02-17-2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17408107)
One of the best defensive runs in NFL history. Has anyone else ever shut down 4 top 5 offenses?

And these are modern era offenses too.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2024 07:34 PM

I wonder if we hear Veach talking in a month here about how the Omenihu injury changed the complexion of some things entering the offseason.

No, they have no business getting into an insane bidding war for Chris, but without Omenihu, it gets that much harder to imagine how we win with a Jones-less four-man rush in 2024. There’d have to be a damn good alternate plan.

George is good and I believe in FAU’s development plan, but there’s absolutely no way you can put most your eggs in those baskets with a three-peat staring you right in the face.

O.city 02-17-2024 07:40 PM

Cut omenihu and use that money for Chris ?

bigjosh 02-17-2024 07:41 PM

Sneed is the must.

I love jones, and likely always will unless he goes to a rival team this year.

But sneed is a top tier corner just entering his prime years. His counterpart at CB is mcduffie, who is cost controlled for the next 3 seasons. And the next three guys on the cb depth chart are on 4th round or later salaries.

The money we save on letting either go wont replace them, but if i had to have one it is sneed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2024 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17408147)
Cut omenihu and use that money for Chris ?

I don’t think they’ll do that to Charles right now. Hope they don’t. They did it with Fish but I’m not sure the juice is gonna be worth the squeeze on CO.

-King- 02-17-2024 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17408125)
Isn’t it reasonable to think that Bolton’s number would only go up if you wait another year?

He was good this year but had an injury and a few bad moments.

I definitely think this is the time to get it done for the next few seasons.

Really good players really have no incentive to sign early. The fact that you acknowledge that he would cost more next year should tell you why he should wait till next year to re-sign.

It's almost always worth taking the injury risk to bet on yourself if you're a consistently good player.

ThyKingdomCome15 02-17-2024 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17408107)

Not like that, no. The highest scoring team was the Niners and even they only scored 22 points in five quarters.

O.city 02-17-2024 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17408152)
I don’t think they’ll do that to Charles right now. Hope they don’t. They did it with Fish but I’m not sure the juice is gonna be worth the squeeze on CO.

He’s pretty out all year in an essential contract year

Does no good on the shelf

O.city 02-17-2024 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17408156)
Really good players really have no incentive to sign early. The fact that you acknowledge that he would cost more next year should tell you why he should wait till next year to re-sign.

It's almost always worth taking the injury risk to bet on yourself if you're a consistently good player.

Yeah you’d basically have to overpay a bit to get him signed now

Guys don’t seem to sign early much anymore. Everyone wants to get to FA

RunKC 02-17-2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17408141)
I wonder if we hear Veach talking in a month here about how the Omenihu injury changed the complexion of some things entering the offseason.

No, they have no business getting into an insane bidding war for Chris, but without Omenihu, it gets that much harder to imagine how we win with a Jones-less four-man rush in 2024. There’d have to be a damn good alternate plan.

George is good and I believe in FAU’s development plan, but there’s absolutely no way you can put most your eggs in those baskets with a three-peat staring you right in the face.

The more I think about it the more I believe that the Chiefs need to inject youth into their offense the way they did with their defense in 2022.

Mike Evans is 31. Sure he's been great but I think there's something to be said about adding juice from young talent. We saw it from Pacheco and Rice while the 30+ guys (Kelce/McKinnon) looked old throughout the season.