ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

tredadda 02-17-2024 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 17407188)
Jones is the leader of the D as far as I can tell. I was hoping Bolton would take over that role once the holdout happened but it's pretty clear Jones is the top dog.

That said, I think Bolton can fill that role if Jones leaves. Leadership is a skill that I believe can be taught to the right individual and I think Bolton has that ability. He may even be better at it than Jones is, as Jones comes off as a bit of a clown at times.

While that's true it also was a lot harder on QBs to play the position back then. Obviously I think Mahomes is better than Montana but let's not act like Mahomes wouldn't have gotten hit a hell of a lot more if he played back in 80s and early 90s. Who knows what Montana would be able to do if he played in this era.

So while Mahomes is better I don't think the gap is huge and we will see how Mahomes adapts as he gets older and loses some of the speed he has.

Agree with this which is why comparing players from one era vs another is so difficult. We don’t know how Mahomes would have done in Montana’s era and vice versa. I feel like the best gauge is to evaluate how good a QB (or any player for that matter) is in comparison to his peers.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-17-2024 08:14 AM

They have to bring back Jones. 0 for 4 in Superbowls without the plays he's made in the 3 wins in crucial spots. Saved the Bengals game last year and Bills this year as well.

tredadda 02-17-2024 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17407248)
They have to bring back Jones. 0 for 4 in Superbowls without the plays he's made in the 3 wins in crucial spots. Saved the Bengals game last year and Bills this year as well.

Agreed, but they can’t bring him back at all costs. Perhaps Veach can sign Jones for less and Mahomes can hook Jones up for more endorsement deals (like Kelce seemed to have last year) to help offset a smaller contract.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-17-2024 08:35 AM

Who knew the answer to our deep balls was on this board all along? Balls deep to Left Nut for 6. Better than NFL wideouts than tracking balls ROFL

Redbled 02-17-2024 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 17407255)
Agreed, but they can’t bring him back at all costs. Perhaps Veach can sign Jones for less and Mahomes can hook Jones up for more endorsement deals (like Kelce seemed to have last year) to help offset a smaller contract.

Start lining guys up for endorsement money. The iron may never be hotter.

dlphg9 02-17-2024 09:06 AM

How about we go after a Josh Allen, Christian Wilkins, or Justin Madubuike. Hell could we get both of the DTs for the price of 1 Chris Jones?

O.city 02-17-2024 09:08 AM

Eh I doubt any of them hit the market untagged

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02-17-2024 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17407218)
Jones is one of 3 left from the 1st SB. He's earned the right to hit FA. No way we can pay him and Sneed what they want.

1 of 3?? We have Kelce, Pat, Butker, Winchester, Nnadi…

LagunaSWana 02-17-2024 09:37 AM

The Chiefs’ attention has already turned to next season, and the defending Super Bowl champions have some big decisions to make. They have a number of unrestricted free agents, including defensive linemen Chris Jones and Mike Danna, linebacker Willie Gay, Jr., and cornerback L’Jarius Sneed.

Jones, who missed training camp, the preseason and the opener while holding out for a new contract, made his intentions clear at Wednesday’s Super Bowl celebration. The crowd was delighted to hear Jones say he would return next season as the Chiefs go for the first threepeat in NFL history.

If the Chiefs do give Jones a new contract, Sneed is not sure the team would have enough money to sign him as well. “I’m hoping I’m here, but you know, you never know how it goes.

I hope I’m here,” Sneed said Thursday on the “Up & Adams” show. “You know, I’m just planning on just doing what I do and just play ball and just go wherever I go, and they’ll get my best.” Adams then said if Jones returns to chase another Super Bowl title, certainly Sneed has to come back, too, right? That’s when he said the Chiefs likely couldn’t pay him and Jones. “I hope so. They can’t keep both of us. I don’t think they’ve got enough for both of us,” Sneed said. “But you know they’re gonna make it happen, I hope.” Sneed had 14 passes defended this season, per Pro Football Reference, double the number of any teammate. He also had a team-best two interceptions. Later in the interview, Adams asked Sneed what he’d tell Chiefs general manager Brett Veach. “Pay me. Pay. Me. Pay me,” Sneed said. “That’s what I’ve got to say: pay me.” Here is the interview and it’s cued up to start with Sneed talking about a new contract.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/baRInpW34oQ?si=IKzuCMM5fT0qhRJ-&amp;start=213" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2024 09:39 AM

I mean seriously, how hard would it be for Pat to make up about $5m per year in endorsement money for Chris?

Cowherd said Patrick himself makes $45 million per off the field currently.

BigRedChief 02-17-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17407207)
No, they’re not. They’re not going through the hold out again.

My thought process is not to tag him and make him play on the tag.

It's to tag and trade. Let him go work out a deal with a team and then get what draft picks you can out of his leaving.

O.city 02-17-2024 09:47 AM

What sneed and mcduffie allow you to do is pretty rare

They’ll keep that

BigRedChief 02-17-2024 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17407334)
I mean seriously, how hard would it be for Pat to make up about $5m per year in endorsement money for Chris?

Cowherd said Patrick himself makes $45 million per off the field currently.

Doesnt work that way. He did get Jones the direct TV ad along with Travis.

He needs to be the highest paid QB in the league. When he dropped to 7th/8th highest paid it probably didn't sit well with him. And the damn media wouldnt shut up about it, And that matters. He has to stand up there and ask questions about the difference in salary between him and obviously inferior QB's.

Red Dawg 02-17-2024 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17407353)
Doesnt work that way. He did get Jones the direct TV ad along with Travis.

He needs to be the highest paid QB in the league. When he dropped to 7th/8th highest paid it probably didn't sit well with him. And the damn media wouldnt shut up about it, And that matters. He has to stand up there and ask questions about the difference in salary between him and obviously inferior QB's.

Media are such Brady ball washers. He got praised for taking less for the team and Pat got slammed for it. Such hypocrisy.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02-17-2024 09:59 AM

We don’t win last years Super Bowl or this ones without Jones and that’s just a fact. Hell we don’t win the first one either. 3 key tipped balls on last drive by Jones first Super Bowl, a sack on burrow with less than 2 minutes on third down last year and now this year with pressures to Purdy when he had a receiver wide open