ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs NFLPA Survey: Clark rated with an F- (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352547)

Rainbarrel 03-01-2024 07:59 AM

If they end up building a new stadium, which they probably rather have. Now's the time to look outdated

Katipan 03-01-2024 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17423571)
Exactly. It's weird how people keep using the Superbowl wins as a defense for not having up to date facilities.

If anything that's all the more reason to have up to date facilities.

Its just Clay.

ThaVirus 03-01-2024 08:02 AM

Here is a bit more info, though not as much as most of us would like, I’m sure.

https://nflpa.com/kansas-city-chiefs-report-card-2024

It’s worth a solid 45 seconds of your time to click the link and see some of the comments made on the different categories but here is all it has listed for in regards to ownership:

Quote:

Club owner Clark Hunt receives a rating of 4.9/10 from Chiefs players when considering his willingness to invest in the facilities (32nd overall)

stevieray 03-01-2024 08:02 AM

The standard set is winning the SB, not how cushy/aesthetic your weight room appears.

ThaVirus 03-01-2024 08:04 AM

Also, lol at this. The Hunt’s have basically built a three-story house inside Arrowhead. That’s awesome.

https://nesn.com/2014/09/chiefs-owne...unreal-photos/

Katipan 03-01-2024 08:04 AM

It's the same facilities when we were losing. 😂😂

-King- 03-01-2024 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17423579)
The standard set is winning the SB, not how cushy/aesthetic your weight room appears.

It's almost like winning the Superbowl and having comfortable facilities that players like aren't mutually exclusive. I know, wild thought right?

Or do you think if Clark had invested in the facilities more, Mahomes would have stopped being the best QB ever and Reid one of the greatest coaches ever?

|Zach| 03-01-2024 08:06 AM

Seems obvious Chiefs need to make some improvements but it also feels like this has been made into such a bigger deal than it is. Funny to watch outlets try to feed the beast in the offseason and keep people talking.

DaFace 03-01-2024 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17423578)
Here is a bit more info, though not as much as most of us would like, I’m sure.

https://nflpa.com/kansas-city-chiefs-report-card-2024

It’s worth a solid 45 seconds of your time to click the link and see some of the comments made on the different categories but here is all it has listed for in regards to ownership:

Again, 4.9 on a 10-pt scale is "slightly below expectations" in how people answer a question like that. Calling it an F- is dumb.

Hoover 03-01-2024 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17423581)
Also, lol at this. The Hunt’s have basically built a three-story house inside Arrowhead. That’s awesome.

https://nesn.com/2014/09/chiefs-owne...unreal-photos/

Clark’s house at the stadium is awesome. Basically it’s his base of operations when in KC. He basically lives at Arrowhead when he’s in KC.

ChiefaRoo 03-01-2024 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 17423619)
Clark’s house at the stadium is awesome. Basically it’s his base of operations when in KC. He basically lives at Arrowhead when he’s in KC.

It’s where he “screens” the new cheerleader candidates when wifey and daughter are on multi day makeover benders.

Seriously, he just screens them and helps them with their 401k plans.

SD15 03-01-2024 10:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLU75N8YcY

Mecca 03-01-2024 11:08 AM

The players have to get memberships to Genesis to use the nice equipment.

BWillie 03-01-2024 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17423958)

Rodney Stevens profits

srvy 03-01-2024 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17423958)

Does that equipment meet the NFL standard? I would bet it probably exceeds it. Shiney bright pretty places and equipment don't exactly mean it's better.

Hammock Parties 03-01-2024 02:53 PM

every dime clark wastes on facilities is a dime less he can spend on his own cash cap every offseason for free agents

keep your pimp hand strong, clark

pleather couches and 40" costco LCD screens are just fine

trndobrd 03-01-2024 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17423519)
You’re talking about the Super Bowl rings that the players earned?

Yes. NFL pays for the first $5000 of the rings, the winning team comes up with the design and pays for the rest. (losing team can spend up to half that amount for Superbowl Participation Rings). Would be curious what the NFL players from all 32 teams grade the Superbowl rings supplied by their team.

ThaVirus 03-01-2024 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 17424548)
Yes. NFL pays for the first $5000 of the rings, the winning team comes up with the design and pays for the rest. (losing team can spend up to half that amount for Superbowl Participation Rings). Would be curious what the NFL players from all 32 teams grade the Superbowl rings supplied by their team.

Just dumb to even mention it when the players earned the rings. It’s not like Clark is going in his pockets to cover the remaining cost of the rings.

And trust me, if they’re covering whatever is left, they’re bringing in a ****ton more to compensate.

The Chiefs org is not doing the players any favors here.

FloridaMan88 03-01-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17424386)
every dime clark wastes on facilities is a dime less he can spend on his own cash cap every offseason for free agents

keep your pimp hand strong, clark

pleather couches and 40" costco LCD screens are just fine

Just upgrade the facilities enough so that this is a non story… if the Chiefs finish middle of the pack in this survey… no one cares.

Katipan 03-01-2024 05:05 PM

Quote:

. Chiefs players reportedly paid $11,000 for their 2023 Super Bowl rings, which was deducted from their paychecks—a minor concession considering each player on the winning team received a $157,000 bonus. (This year’s winners will receive a $164,000 pay bump.)
https://www.fastcompany.com/91026949...uper-bowl-ring

Hammock Parties 03-01-2024 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17424564)
Just upgrade the facilities enough so that this is a non story…

Do nothing. Stack rings.

ThaVirus 03-01-2024 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17424593)

LMAO

That’s hilarious. I had no idea.. and dude was arguing with me about the team paying for most of the cost of the rings lol

vonBobo 03-01-2024 08:56 PM

"I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising."

Stryker 03-01-2024 09:41 PM

To me, this is ridiculous! We got this same grade last time and guess what? WE WON The SUPER BOWL! F- for Clark? LMAO Yeah, he sucks! :LOL:

Pepe Silvia 03-01-2024 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 17424847)
To me, this is ridiculous! We got this same grade last time and guess what? WE WON The SUPER BOWL! F- for Clark? LMAO Yeah, he sucks! :LOL:

Who filled out these surveys? Mike Florio and Kyle Brandt?

Stryker 03-02-2024 12:10 AM

It was the same exact vote last time YAWN! :whackit::whackit::whackit:

Stryker 03-02-2024 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia (Post 17424883)
Who filled out these surveys? Mike Florio and Kyle Brandt?

True that! LMAOLMAOLMAO

Hammock Parties 03-02-2024 12:14 AM

Clark and his lieutenants consistentl make balla ass decisions for their balla ass franchise.

We don't need no stinking couches.

MarkDavis'Haircut 03-02-2024 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 17421038)
Oh, OK. I guess. Just seems weird that the team that has been the undisputed king of the ****ing universe these last 6 seasons have players, apparently a lOT of them, willing to give them an average grade of F- on ANYTHING.

Whatever man. Millionaires bitching about billionaires. ****ing practice locker room vs. gameday locker room. Shut the **** up already...sheeesh...

It is just what it is.

NFL players exist in a different world of thinking.

MarkDavis'Haircut 03-02-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 17422439)
According to Mitchell Schwartz and Geoff Schwartz the facilities almost never comes into play. Imagine the Raiders when they played in Oakland trying to get FA players with their facility situation.

He said something like this in order-

$$
$$
Winning Franchise
Coaching
Friends on the team
City

Al famously overpaid for players his last decade in Oakland and thus signed guys. Unless, they are ring chasing, most players want the largest paycheck.

MarkDavis'Haircut 03-02-2024 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17422502)
Thank goodness its changed.

Watching you guys justify your bloodlust from the couch was icky.

Acting like the players aren't paid royalty wages for their services.

They are not bleeding out for 30k. If they don't like it, there are other professions.

RunKC 03-02-2024 09:46 AM

People on Twitter are pissed that we are always low on cash spending, like that has really made the difference

philfree 03-02-2024 11:26 AM

So all the young guys on the Chiefs who just won back to back SBs voted their Boss an F? LOL I don't believe that for a second.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-02-2024 11:55 AM

....and Micro Penner/Condoleezza were voted an A and Denver is a train wreck with zero hope. It means Jack shit.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-02-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17424811)
LMAO

That’s hilarious. I had no idea.. and dude was arguing with me about the team paying for most of the cost of the rings lol

Hey dumb****... That's what they get taxed for the ring. Happens at every company. I've won company trips and get 1099'd for the trip. My company bonuses me up for taxes, but the Chiefs can't do that with a salary cap.

trndobrd 03-02-2024 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17424811)
LMAO

Click through Katipan's link...rings are expensive enough to incur a tax hit of $11k. More details here. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...w0hwglduwk8dt6

The point 'dude' was getting at... if the survey included quality of SB ring, 31 teams would be receive an 'F'. One team would receive an 'A'. Given the choice between a big locker room and free child care or a SB ring... most players would take the SB.

ThaVirus 03-02-2024 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 17425482)
Hey dumb****... That's what they get taxed for the ring. Happens at every company. I've won company trips and get 1099'd for the trip. My company bonuses me up for taxes, but the Chiefs can't do that with a salary cap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 17425557)
Click through Katipan's link...rings are expensive enough to incur a tax hit of $11k. More details here. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...w0hwglduwk8dt6

The point 'dude' was getting at... if the survey included quality of SB ring, 31 teams would be receive an 'F'. One team would receive an 'A'. Given the choice between a big locker room and free child care or a SB ring... most players would take the SB.

It’s a stupid ****ing point because players earn the Super Bowl ring.. and in the process, they make their organization a hell of a lot more money than the rings cost.

It’s not a flex.

stevieray 03-02-2024 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17425564)
It’s a stupid ****ing point because players earn the Super Bowl ring.. and in the process, they make their organization a hell of a lot more money than the rings cost.

It’s not a flex.

It's a business.

They earned a paycheck for playing, they get the ring for winning.

ThaVirus 03-02-2024 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17425797)
they get the ring for winning.

In other words: they earned it.

Glad we can all agree.

Hammock Parties 03-02-2024 07:44 PM

Interesting how some posters think the players should get free shit just because.

stevieray 03-02-2024 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17425814)
In other words: they earned it.

Glad we can all agree.

It's an extremely tangible way to honor the Championship.

SF players earned 89k.

Rasputin 03-03-2024 01:12 AM

Fix your shit Clark

ThaVirus 03-03-2024 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17425901)
It's an extremely tangible way to honor the Championship.

SF players earned 89k.

Right, because they beat the other guys.

Again, that’s not a flex for ownership. Our players earned the higher pay bonus and they earned their Super Bowl winner rings.

This collection of guys just won back-to-back Super Bowls, a feat that hasn’t been achieved in 20 years (longer if you don’t count those cheating sacks of shit in New England). In the process, they’ve probably added tens of millions of dollars in equity and cash to this organization. We can offer them an updated practice locker room and some ****ing on-site daycare on game days.

Katipan 03-03-2024 06:50 AM

Not to mention the value of the rings is directly affected by the badasses wearing them.

stevieray 03-03-2024 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17426059)
Right, because they beat the other guys.

Again, that’s not a flex for ownership. Our players earned the higher pay bonus and they earned their Super Bowl winner rings.

This collection of guys just won back-to-back Super Bowls, a feat that hasn’t been achieved in 20 years (longer if you don’t count those cheating sacks of shit in New England). In the process, they’ve probably added tens of millions of dollars in equity and cash to this organization. We can offer them an updated practice locker room and some ****ing on-site daycare on game days.

So? The 49ers also brought money to their organization. Those Rings go up in value, whereas the money just gets spent.

'some ****ing on site day care on game days"

LMAO

The Chiefs aren't responsible for babysitting children, parents are.

Katipan 03-03-2024 07:21 AM

Their kids calm them down and make it easier for them to focus.

You might not like it, He-Man, but it's what happens.

ThaVirus 03-03-2024 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17426074)
So? The 49ers also brought money to their organization. Those Rings go up in value, whereas the money just gets spent.

'some ****ing on site day care on game days"

LMAO

The Chiefs aren't responsible for babysitting children, parents are.

“So?” he says, after I’ve just made my point as clearly as possible.. lol

Funny you mention the 9ers, though. They’re not a dynasty or the current reigning Super Bowl champs like KC.. in fact, they haven’t won a Super Bowl ring in 30 years.. and yet their ownership was rated an A-. That should really squash this stupid ass argument you guys keep making (who am I kidding?).

https://nflpa.com/san-francisco-49ers-report-card-2024

gblowfish 03-03-2024 11:08 AM

Ownership as an F- is harsh. Try playing for Mark Davis or Spanos.

BWillie 03-03-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17425817)
Interesting how some posters think the players should get free shit just because.

1) They should have already had it
2) They win 3, not 2, not 1 Super Bowls and they still have such terrible practice facilities. If anything they EARNED more.
3) It's one of the worst facilities in the NFL

The players deserve to grade Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Cheaps this way. They have all the right in the world. Clark is being cheap. Period.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-03-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17426280)
2) They win 3, not 2, not 1 Super Bowls and they still have such terrible practice facilities. If anything they EARNED more.

The players deserve to grade Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Cheaps this way. They have all the right in the world. Clark is being cheap. Period.

**** them. They make plenty. Greedy bastards that will go to the highest bidder the way it is.

stevieray 03-03-2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

How many players still here from the SB LIV?

"such terrible"

LMAO

-King- 03-03-2024 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17426417)
How many players still here from the SB LIV?

"such terrible"

LMAO

So what's your reasoning as to why Clark SHOULDN'T spend some of the massive windfalls he's received by players winning the Superbowl to upgrade the facilities that players don't like and find outdated?

Mosbonian 03-03-2024 04:45 PM

I am OK with people pushing for upgrades....but bitching about Clark and calling him cheap is just bitching to be bitching.

Andy is here because Clark put the full court press on when Andy was available.

Most of you aren't old enough to remember when Lamar had Steadman running the team...that was bad...

Most reasonable people agree that upgrades should be done but acting like it is a monstrous travesty is just silly.

Katipan 03-03-2024 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17426598)
So what's your reasoning as to why Clark SHOULDN'T spend some of the massive windfalls he's received by players winning the Superbowl to upgrade the facilities that players don't like and find outdated?

Because there's a certain dollar amount we reach where they are no longer people, merely a product, and they should all shut up and accept what's given.

stevieray 03-03-2024 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17426598)

The organization won the SB.

Owners, coaches, trainers, players, etc.

Hammock Parties 03-04-2024 12:50 AM

Quote:

More is not always better.

-King- 03-04-2024 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17426847)
The organization won the SB.

Owners, coaches, trainers, players, etc.

That doesn't answer the question. Unless again you are of the belief that if the Chiefs had up to date facilities they would not have won the Superbowl.

So again, why shouldn't Clark have invested in upgrading the facilities to make them modern and to reward his super bowl winning players?

stevieray 03-04-2024 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17426887)
That doesn't answer the question. Unless again you are of the belief that if the Chiefs had up to date facilities they would not have won the Superbowl.

So again, why shouldn't Clark have invested in upgrading the facilities to make them modern and to reward his super bowl winning players?

"make them modern"

LMAO

I never claimed he shouldn't or should, I'm not the one parenting Hunt.

Eleazar 03-04-2024 08:46 AM

There's no reason a first class organization that's winning trophies and making money hand over fist should have the worst of anything. Not facilities, not nutritionists, not training staff, nothing. We should be setting the standard in every area.

GloryDayz 03-04-2024 08:51 AM

I see it like this, if the locker room is to nice and comfortable the players won't want to practice. #KeepWoodenStoolsInTheChiefsLocker-Room

-King- 03-04-2024 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17426933)
"make them modern"

LMAO

I never claimed he shouldn't or should, I'm not the one parenting Hunt.

You think the facilities look modern? Have you seen the ones across the league and how the chiefs compare? Or is your tongue and Clark's boots blocking your view?

BWillie 03-04-2024 10:49 AM

I think the disconnect is some of you think they won BECAUSE they had shitty practice facilities. That it makes em NOT SOFT. GRRRRRR... GROWL....LONG WAY FROM YOUR HEART SON....RUB SOME DIRT ON IT...ARRRRRR

If we had a great practice facility we would not have won the Super Bowl because our guys would be soft bitches. Is that the argument?

Otherwise I don't quite understand. I can understand having such bad facilities if you are a bottom 5 team like the Bears or something. But you just won 3 Super Bowls. If I'm an owner, I'm doing all kinds of shit to reccognize the greatness. Little things. Small upgrades that go along way to thank my employees for doing a great job. And it wouldn't stop at upgrading the practice facility. That is how I would say THANK YOU.

Bowser 03-04-2024 10:50 AM

They have to do or say SOMETHING to dissuade players from wanting to come here.

We already have Mahomes, the greatest cheat code and equalizer the league has ever seen, so we don't need all the other stars from all the other positions wanting to come play here as well.

-King- 03-04-2024 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17427224)
They have to do or say SOMETHING to dissuade players from wanting to come here.

We already have Mahomes, the greatest cheat code and equalizer the league has ever seen, so we don't need all the other stars from all the other positions wanting to come play here as well.

What? You realize it's the chiefs players that voted this way right? Are you saying chiefs players are trying to get other players to not come here?

Bowser 03-04-2024 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17427287)
What? You realize it's the chiefs players that voted this way right? Are you saying chiefs players are trying to get other players to not come here?

Less competition?? Lol

Looking at the vids from a couple of years ago I have no idea why they'd be pissed with ownership. Maybe Clark just buys cheese pizzas exclusively on pizza day, who knows?

It all seems bunk anyway - "this ownership group sucks, but I'm still going to put myself through hell to win back-to-back championships anyway!"

Hammock Parties 03-04-2024 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 17426987)
I see it like this, if the locker room is to nice and comfortable the players won't want to practice. #KeepWoodenStoolsInTheChiefsLocker-Room

i'm telling you, some of these orgs have recliners in the meeting room

practice and meetings are a classroom environment

you shouldn't be too comfortable

i don't think the chiefs are cheap, it's by design - and likely according to the coaching staff

-King- 03-04-2024 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17427296)
Less competition?? Lol

Looking at the vids from a couple of years ago I have no idea why they'd be pissed with ownership. Maybe Clark just buys cheese pizzas exclusively on pizza day, who knows?

It all seems bunk anyway - "this ownership group sucks, but I'm still going to put myself through hell to win back-to-back championships anyway!"

Look at the locker room in the videos I've posted in this thread. Look at the weight room RunKC posted. That's where the players spend 99% of their time. The game day locker room at Arrowhead is fine but even DJ here has said it's not really as nice as it looks.

The players are mad at the practice facility. Not Arrowhead.

BWillie 03-04-2024 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17427315)
i'm telling you, some of these orgs have recliners in the meeting room

practice and meetings are a classroom environment

you shouldn't be too comfortable

i don't think the chiefs are cheap, it's by design - and likely according to the coaching staff

Strange. I learn the most when I am comfortable because I am only focused on what is being presented to me.

Bowser 03-04-2024 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17427317)
Look at the locker room in the videos I've posted in this thread. Look at the weight room RunKC posted. That's where the players spend 99% of their time. The game day locker room at Arrowhead is fine but even DJ here has said it's not really as nice as it looks.

The players are mad at the practice facility. Not Arrowhead.

Fair.

No reason it shouldn't be the best in the league.

Mecca 03-04-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17427296)
Less competition?? Lol

Guys who perform on title teams get paid...being on a big stage is the quickest way to big dollars.

Hammock Parties 03-04-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17427322)
Strange. I learn the most when I am comfortable because I am only focused on what is being presented to me.

Are you under 25?

neech 03-04-2024 11:47 AM

I could be wrong but my thoughts are that the locker room was maxed out in its size due to it being an older facility.

And that there wasn't much ownership could because it is just a tight fit in there.

Gary Cooper 03-04-2024 12:45 PM

Please tell me they at least got a new vending machine since this story came out?

Pasta Little Brioni 03-04-2024 12:50 PM

I think it's a good thing to be honest. Clay is right

jettio 03-04-2024 12:56 PM

Coming up with an F- grade for ownership is kind of stupid if the payroll checks always process.

There are the stories from USFL and other leagues and sports were everybody raced to the bank on payday because the bank would only cash checks for as long as the money in the account supported it.

I doubt that the Chiefs player surveys said to give a grade from F- to A+ in each category.

More likely the survey asked questions and the NFLPA manipulated their analysis to give comparative grades.

NFLPA is full of shit to say that Chiefs are an F-. Where are the formal grievances filed by the players?

The shit the NFLPA dings these teams for are not things that warrant an F-.

Coming up with an F- makes it look like the Chiefs players have no sense when it comes to talking about your employer.

NFLPA says the Chiefs player rep is Nick Allegretti and the alternates are Patrick Mahomes, Harrison Butker and Drue Tranquill.

I doubt those guys would say that rookies sharing rooms on the road is so bad that you get an F-.

RunKC 03-07-2024 08:56 AM

At least Clark doesn’t treat his players like zoo animals. No wonder the Cowboys are soft. Their owner creates meaningless distractions

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former Cowboys now Texans TE Dalton Schultz described the locker room environment at The Star on Wednesday on the <a href="https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PatMcAfeeShow</a>.<br><br>&quot;There&#39;s people literally going on tours while you&#39;re lifting in the weight room... that&#39;s the brand that they&#39;ve built. That&#39;s what Jerry Jones… <a href="https://t.co/aiE68oFkLw">pic.twitter.com/aiE68oFkLw</a></p>&mdash; RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) <a href="https://twitter.com/rjochoa/status/1765504538595750219?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RunKC 03-26-2024 07:09 AM

Clark needs a PR team bc he just doubled down.

The story of Mahomes having to get on Mark Donovan bc there was no air conditioning in the summer is crazy. Wtf Clark

Quote:

Chiefs owner Clark Hunt responds to F-minus grade, points to facility investments

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - FEBRUARY 11: CEO Clark Hunt of the Kansas City Chiefs looks on prior to Super Bowl LVIII against the San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium on February 11, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
ORLANDO, Fla. — Patrick Mahomes entered the Kansas City Chiefs’ training facility last summer for a session of work that didn’t involve his passing the ball to any teammates. That day, Mahomes, the Chiefs’ star quarterback, was the leading actor in a commercial for T-Mobile. He wore a generic yellow practice jersey and the scene was captured on the Chiefs’ indoor practice field.

During a break, after several takes under bright production lights, Mahomes approached team president Mark Donovan to discuss the one problem: the lack of air conditioning.

“Come on, man,” Mahomes said to Donovan, who responded by nodding.

A few days later, the Chiefs practiced in the indoor complex. Without air conditioning, the conditions were suffocating, the temperature close to 100 degrees. Sweat was visible through coach Andy Reid’s red windbreaker.

Mahomes’ decision to voice his displeasure, along with other players, helped lead team owner Clark Hunt to add an air conditioning system to the complex. It was part of an ongoing upgrade to the facility, which is projected to be completed by early September.

“We are making some pretty significant investments in the training facility this year and we’ll continue to do that,” Clark told The Athletic on Monday during the NFL owners’ meetings. “We’ve outgrown that building in a number of ways.”

Free, daily NFL updates direct to your inbox. Sign up

Clark said the Chiefs will have a new, more expansive cafeteria inside the facility. He expects other major changes to the facility, too, although he declined to share details.

Clark stressed that such expenditures indicate he understands the importance of improving the Chiefs’ facilities. Less than a month ago, a sizable number of Chiefs players from last year’s team gave him an F-minus — the lowest grade for an owner, based on his willingness to invest in the facilities — in the NFL Players Association’s annual team report cards. When the NFLPA released the findings of its second annual survey, which assesses players’ working conditions and environments, the back-to-back Super Bowl champion Chiefs ranked 31st of 32 teams.

The most damning information from the Chiefs’ report card was the players’ complaints about the facility’s outdated locker room, the place where they spend hours, sometimes six days a week. The report said players believed the locker room would be renovated after the 2022 season and before the start of last season. That promise, the report said, was not kept by Hunt and the Chiefs.

“The answer (the players) got back was, ‘You guys won too far in the (2022) playoffs, and we didn’t have time to fix it,’” former NFLPA president J.C. Tretter said last month at the NFL Scouting Combine. “They just won another Super Bowl. I know there’s some frustration of, ‘We keep winning Super Bowls and nothing is coming back to us. There’s no priority on making our lives better, but we kept making the organization more money.’

“That’s reflected in their results. That’s why (Hunt’s) grade is so low.”

However, Hunt denied that part of the report.

“I have spoken to some of our veteran players about that, and they’ve confirmed to me that it was miscommunication,” Hunt said. “Certainly, I personally never said anything to them about a renovation of the locker room. It was a misunderstanding.”

Linebacker Willie Gay, who played the past four seasons for the Chiefs before joining the New Orleans Saints earlier this month, agreed with Hunt.

“No one ever said, ‘Hey, you guys get a renovation if you win a Super Bowl,’” Gay told The Athletic on Monday. “They won a Super Bowl in 2019, and that didn’t happen, so as players, we knew we were not getting any renovations.

“But s—, we are winning Super Bowls, so at the end of the day, how much can we argue? Hey, the facility is falling apart, but we (won) the second Super Bowl in two years. I love Clark Hunt as a person.”

The data for the union’s survey was gathered from August to November of the 2023 season with 1,706 players participating, up from almost 1,300 participants in 2022.

Chiefs players gave the highest grade to Reid, who received an A-plus, top among his peers. The Chiefs were either a D-plus or worse in owner, locker room, treatment of families, nutrition, training rooms, training staff and team travel.

“We received responses from 47 of the Chiefs players,” the NFLPA told The Athletic in a statement. “The report cards reflect their experiences.”

Last year, Tretter said the union’s goal for the survey was twofold: to encourage poorly graded teams to improve the working conditions and basic services offered to players and their families and to educate players on the state of all teams as they prepare to make decisions in free agency.

Last year’s report card showed the Chiefs were one of the few teams without chairs or couches in front of players’ lockers. They instead had stools without backs. Before and after practices, some players would lie on their backs on the floor to rest and relax. The only change the Chiefs made before last season was to provide players chairs with backs at their lockers.

“Money was spent very tightly around there,” Gay said of the Chiefs. “When we did get something, whether it was a chair or T-shirt, it was like, ‘Man, we got new chairs!’ That was a big upgrade. We enjoyed the small things that we got.”

A year ago, Hunt said the report card better educated him about his organization, revealing what he considered his blind spots.

Reid acknowledged Monday that the Chiefs have a smaller-than-usual training room. The Chiefs ranked 31st in that category, as many players feel the room is significantly understaffed and lacks equipment that is often standard. Just 43 percent of the players who participated in the survey said they get adequate one-on-one treatment time.

“I got all the work I needed,” Gay said. “I have heard guys say, ‘They won’t let me get treatment. They told me: Get on the list.’”

Hunt, 59, has become one of the league’s most respected owners since he became the Chiefs’ CEO in 2010. He acknowledged that he has invested more money in building and retaining his coaching, personnel and business staff during Reid’s tenure, which began in 2013.

“I think Clark does a great job,” Reid said Monday. “Whatever they say about everything else, I give him an A-plus because he gives us an opportunity to win games. As a coach, that’s what you like. He’s not just right over the top of you, beating you up every five minutes. He gets it. We have a great working relationship. He allows us to get players and keep players. That’s a tough thing to do as you navigate through the salary cap.”

Next Tuesday is an important day for Hunt. The Chiefs, and the Kansas City Royals, have said Jackson County, Mo., will remain home if voters approve an extension of the three-eighths-cent sales tax on a ballot initiative.

If the vote passes, the Royals plan to move downtown and build a new ballpark while the Chiefs plan to renovate Arrowhead Stadium, a 52-year-old venue that will be one of the host sites for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The changes to the stadium would enhance suites, video boards and club lounges. All of the renderings the Chiefs displayed last month were of Arrowhead. The training facility was not mentioned in the proposed renovations.

Arrowhead’s projected renovations are expected to cost $800 million. Hunt said he and his family would contribute $300 million. Last week, the Chiefs and Royals reached community benefits agreements with the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority, which included more than $260 million in support and more than $200 million in economic relief for the county by eliminating the obligation to pay stadium insurance premiums and park levy to the teams.

“We’re excited about the opportunity to extend (the stadium’s lease) for 25 years,” Hunt said. “Arrowhead’s been a great home. Even today, it’s still one of the best stadiums in the NFL. We’re very excited about the opportunity to modernize Arrowhead. If we’re fortunate enough to have the vote pass, we’ll turn our attention to the training facility.”

If the Chiefs indeed renovate their stadium, Hunt said the team’s training facility could undergo a major renovation that would be completed by 2031, which is the last year of Mahomes’ 12-year contract.

If voters don’t approve an extension of the sales tax, Hunt said the Chiefs will consider alternative options, perhaps one that could lead the team to move to Kansas to build a new stadium and training facility.

Regardless of Tuesday’s vote, Hunt vowed to communicate better with the players.

“We’ll certainly include the players in our thinking on the future of the training facility,” Hunt said. “We’ll want their input and we’ll seek that when the time is right.”

Many players have made their voices heard through the NFLPA survey.

“We’ll actually have a better process than that,” he said. “We’ll have direct communication with them and let them tell us what’s important.”
https://theathletic.com/5368314/2024...shared_article

Womble 03-26-2024 08:16 AM

Which one of you wrote this comment on the article:

https://i.postimg.cc/kGBm4bvq/Screen...326-141348.png

LMAO

-King- 03-26-2024 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17458155)
Clark needs a PR team bc he just doubled down.

The story of Mahomes having to get on Mark Donovan bc there was no air conditioning in the summer is crazy. Wtf Clark

https://theathletic.com/5368314/2024...shared_article

The locker room story was a bad look but this is flat out embarrassing.

DaFace 03-26-2024 08:41 AM

I still think Clark's been dragging his feet on this stuff while waiting for the stadium tax vote.