ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   ****OFFICIAL 2019 Saccopoo CP Mock Draft Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321710)

CoMoChief 03-21-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 14173183)
I had to look twice because I was surprised he was still on the board. Drafting the big uglies is never sexy but ask Minnesota what it’s like having flash on offense but not any line protection.

Good thing KC has one of the better OL's in the league then...

I would agree, MIN's OL is ****in trash...good thing KC is not them.

kccrow 03-21-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14173157)
THANK YOU!

I'm serious, I'd have taken that !@#$ing guy for the Chiefs just to see heads explode.

He's probably the best G in the draft, right? This is why CoMo's idiotic "CP and their fatties" shit carries no weight. There is at least one more OT on the board that will likely have gone by now and very possibly 2 more interior OL. They're sliiiiidin' here.

Wrong. Exactly on pace with 10 year averages.

htismaqe 03-21-2019 05:38 PM

The OP is way out of date now.

RealSNR 03-21-2019 06:55 PM

I can get to it in two or three hours

Chief Northman 03-21-2019 07:03 PM

Chiefscafan just posted his pick in the Lounge in the FA thread

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.....

chiefscafan 03-21-2019 07:04 PM

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame

chiefscafan 03-21-2019 07:06 PM

I can’t message next person at work please can someone message

chiefscafan 03-21-2019 07:08 PM

Dude at work thought I was in the one forum

Chief Northman 03-21-2019 07:10 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles select Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Safety, Florida

Malcolm Jenkins is 31 and adding more mileage each year, while Rodney McLeod is coming off an ACL and is on the last year of his deal. Gardner-Johnson has great versatility and ball-hawking skills that will solidify the middle of the Eagles secondary.

DJ's left nut 03-21-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14173236)
Nothing idiotic about it when you're rebuilding a 31st ranked D that needs help all across the board. OL can wait til rd3.

You're not really this dense are you?

I'm speaking directly to your dipshit assertion that CP has some fascination with fatties.

DJ's left nut 03-21-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14173328)
Wrong. Exactly on pace with 10 year averages.

But this is an above average draft for OL by most accounts, no?

CoMoChief 03-21-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14173498)
You're not really this dense are you?

I'm speaking directly to your dipshit assertion that CP has some fascination with fatties.

nothing dipshit about it since it's true.

kccrow 03-21-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14173505)

Not in my opinion. If anything it's lacking an elite LT prospect with Dillard being perhaps the closest. Alot of "maybe" RT guys that project better to guard. It's a fairly strong OC class. I'd say it's fairly average.

staylor26 03-21-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14173534)
nothing dipshit about it since it's true.

Stop arguing and make your picks! You’re up twice Lol

Chief Northman 03-21-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14173566)

Exactly!

CoMoChief 03-21-2019 07:57 PM

Houston Texans select D'Andre Walker, EDGE, Georgia

CoMoChief 03-21-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14173566)

I'll take my god damn time, thank you.

kccrow 03-21-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14173505)

Also, more behind the 8-ball on RBs at this point than most other positions.

staylor26 03-21-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14173575)
Houston Texans select D'Andre Walker, EDGE, Georgia

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 14173475)
The Pittsburgh Steelers select Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14173492)
The Philadelphia Eagles select Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Safety, Florida

Malcolm Jenkins is 31 and adding more mileage each year, while Rodney McLeod is coming off an ACL and is on the last year of his deal. Gardner-Johnson has great versatility and ball-hawking skills that will solidify the middle of the Eagles secondary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14172696)
Well, maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

He gave me a list, numbered 1-3.

But then said, select one of the 3. He didn't say they were in order.

At any rate, he can be mad at you guys. LOL

The Carolina Panthers select WR Marquise Brown, Oklahoma.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14172763)
The Miami Dolphins select Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State

The Cleveland Browns select Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14172780)
The Minnesota Vikings select Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

Can somebody PM the next dude?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14172576)
Sorry I’m taking so long for my pick.

The Atlanta Falcons select Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14172583)
The Washington Redskins pick J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 14173148)
The Tennessee Titans select Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College.

I’m on my phone. Can someone please PM the next pick?

Updated picks that aren’t in OP so everybody can see them (not in order)

CoMoChief 03-21-2019 08:03 PM

Houston Texans select Darnell Savage, S, Maryland

kccrow 03-21-2019 08:07 PM

With the 56th pick, acquired from Chicago, the New England Patriots select Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

Ol' Bill sits pat and gets a gem late in the round the help fill the hole vacated by Trey Flowers with a similar player that can rotate inside or outside.

Marco Polo 03-21-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14173596)
With the 56th pick, acquired from Chicago, the New England Patriots select Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

Ol' Bill sits pat and gets a gem late in the round the help fill the hole vacated by Trey Flowers with a similar player that can rotate inside or outside.

Great pick!

Rain Man 03-21-2019 08:13 PM

The Bears are carefully tracking progress in preparation for our first pick.

Chief Northman 03-21-2019 08:23 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles select David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State

Montgomery provides the Eagles with a bell cow as the RB by committee in Philly has been a disappointment. Pederson gets his version of Kareem Hunt: a player with great contact balance, physicality, and a competent pass catcher out of the backfield.

RealSNR 03-21-2019 08:36 PM

Guys, this is kind of why I suggested somebody else run the thing this year so that we could have three people updating the thread and keeping things going. On a day like today where Pest and I were out for most of it, things could get backed up.

For example, that's what's going to happen to me tomorrow again, where I'm only able to check in once or twice and basically just to make my own picks over my phone.

Think about it for next year. Just because you start the thread doesn't mean you have to be married to it as long as we get multiple people working on it.

Chief Northman 03-21-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14173636)
Guys, this is kind of why I suggested somebody else run the thing this year so that we could have three people updating the thread and keeping things going. On a day like today where Pest and I were out for most of it, things could get backed up.

For example, that's what's going to happen to me tomorrow again, where I'm only able to check in once or twice and basically just to make my own picks over my phone.

Think about it for next year. Just because you start the thread doesn't mean you have to be married to it as long as we get multiple people working on it.

Thanks for the upkeep.

Life happens. This is just an escape for all of us, and in the end is a vehicle for us to critique, justify and share all our “hot takes” and football genius with fellow fans. Some good-natured ribbing won’t hurt anyone either, and this place is more enjoyable than that shitshow thread about Tyreek Hill in the Lounge.

Sacc would approve of your efforts here SNR.

RealSNR 03-21-2019 09:10 PM

Apparently Andy Reid taught the Giants how to piss off Goodell, because they also have to forfeit a 3rd round pick.

I gave that pick its own number for the ease of copying/pasting. If that's not how it "officially" works, then... oh well.

Chargem 03-22-2019 02:17 AM

The cowboys select Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

staylor26 03-22-2019 05:40 AM

The Indianapolis Colts select N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona St.

Simply just too good of a value to pass up at this point, especially when your #2 WR is Funchess who’s on a 1 year deal. Adding Houston yesterday definitely made this an easier decision.

staylor26 03-22-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14173681)
Apparently Andy Reid taught the Giants how to piss off Goodell, because they also have to forfeit a 3rd round pick.

I gave that pick its own number for the ease of copying/pasting. If that's not how it "officially" works, then... oh well.

I believe that’s because they took somebody in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft last year.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 06:44 AM

Look at how the board fell, that’s why taking a center isn’t my preference

TambaBerry 03-22-2019 06:46 AM

yeah the giants took sam beal in the supplemental draft last year

RunKC 03-22-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 14173869)
Look at how the board fell, that’s why taking a center isn’t my preference

We’ve looked at Connor McGovern, who can step in immediately bc he has ready made strength and experience. Given the way this thing has turned out, I don’t see how anyone can disagree with DJ that Garrett Bradbury is the best talent that was available.

No biggie if you don’t like pick. We all know that Veach is gonna trade up for someone anyway.

O.city 03-22-2019 08:29 AM

What a cluster****

Snr get your shit together

Chief Northman 03-22-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14173970)
We’ve looked at Connor McGovern, who can step in immediately bc he has ready made strength and experience. Given the way this thing has turned out, I don’t see how anyone can disagree with DJ that Garrett Bradbury is the best talent that was available.

No biggie if you don’t like pick. We all know that Veach is gonna trade up for someone anyway.

Although this is likely, I'm not a fan of giving up the ammo necessary to do so. The fact the Chiefs are picking at the bottom of rounds means more capital has to be given to move up to the middle, let alone the top of rounds. They really have to go BPA as much as possible as there are too many holes/questions marks with this roster coming of an AFCCG appearance.

Get your stud FS at #29, because one will be there (Adderly, Thornhill, Gardner-Johnson if need be), then get some sneaky good pass rushers in Rounds 2-5 (Omenihu, Ximines, Walker, Ray, Allen, Winovich). I'm not trading up for a guy like Polite (red flags), and the cost will be too steep for Ferrell, Sweat, Burns. I also think you can get some solid linebackers in that 2-5 round range that can impact immediately: Joseph, Hanks, Pratt, etc.

Sfeihc 03-22-2019 08:35 AM

Fresh off their dinner with him at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse before his pro day the Los Angeles Chargers select Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina.

staylor26 03-22-2019 08:36 AM

I think the way the board has fallen kinda justifies it if anything.

There’s still a CB and DE on the board that would be perfect fits for us.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14173989)
I think the way the board has fallen kinda justifies it if anything.

There’s still a CB and DE on the board that would be perfect fits for us.

Yuuuuup.

The board falling like this means I would've ended up with this guy in the first anyway and then taken McCoy in the 2nd. My draft is better for having taken Bradbury than it is for going into the first and taking:

Charles Omenihu, DE - Texas

Now the reason I didn't take him in the 1st is I'm not as convinced he's a stud as many round these parts are. I am convinced, however, that he's the 2nd best pure 4-3 DE in this class, especially for this scheme. Allen may have been a good fit as well but I prefer Omenihu for his ability to kick inside and still get after the passer if need be.

And as I looked at the board at the end of the 1st, I saw a real chance that he'd fall. The only stumbling block I saw was removed yesterday when the Colts signed Houston. I was pretty damn certain he'd go to Indy but thought maybe that would be Allen. Once Houston signed, the lane was wide open for Omenihu to continue his slide.

His only real issue is that he just he doesn't have very good bend and that's what makes him not exactly a slam dunk 1st round talent. But that's a more critical problem for a 3-4 OLB than anything and ultimately I think that's exactly why he's being slept on a little in this draft. Scheme versatility is driving guys up the board and he doesn't really have that. He's not someone you can put in a 2-point stance and send at the QB. He needs to come out of the 3-point stance and use that exceptional hand-fighting ability to win the rep.

He is EXACTLY what we hope K-Pass can be. If nothing else, he may actually rub off on K-Pass a little and help with him as well. This is a perfect fit and hopefully some of these wailing ****s will stop their moping for at least one pick.

Because if it goes how I think it may go, the wailing may start again here shortly.

staylor26 03-22-2019 09:08 AM

There’s the DE I was talking about :D

Omenihu is a perfect fit. **** the haters DJ, very solid draft so far.

He would’ve been my pick for the Colts if they didn’t sign Houston and Harry wasn’t sitting there.

kccrow 03-22-2019 09:11 AM

I'm equally not a big Omenihu fan, especially anywhere before round 3. I just don't see the pass rush ability so many here do. He's a slow base end at best IMO.

I'd much rather have seen Oruwariye in 1 and a Center right here or a different DE, but eh you have a plan and you're sticking to it.

htismaqe 03-22-2019 09:13 AM

The New Orleans Saints select Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14174027)
There’s the DE I was talking about :D

Omenihu is a perfect fit. **** the haters DJ, very solid draft so far.

He would’ve been my pick for the Colts if they didn’t sign Houston and Harry wasn’t sitting there.

That's the thing man, I had 6 guys at the top of my board going into the 2nd and for virtually the entire 2nd, 4 of them were still there because I knew they would be. You can read this draft pretty well when you look at the depth in it. You can't know exactly who you'll end up with, but you can tier it and work in their tiers really nicely.

Walker went and then Harry followed shortly thereafter to knock me down to 2. One of them is still there and I may take him still.

Harry was a real consideration here had you not finally grabbed him. What I would've preferred there is obviously someone that can complement Hill if he stays clean OR replace him if it doesn't. Well Harry's not quite that guy; he can't replace what Hill provides (Brown's the only guy in the draft that really can, IMO). But he would be an ideal replacement for Watkins long-term. Had he been there, I'd have probably taken him and crossed my fingers hoping Omenihu fell, but with a fallback if he didn't.

Walker came into this round at the top of my board though. He's such an ideal fit here at the Sam that I considered him in the 1st as well. That guy's a ballplayer.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 09:17 AM

Yeah, thought that might happen w/ Joejuan. I'm not sure he's the CB prospect many others think he is and I'm not entirely convinced that Spags wants a true press-man, but I'd have given him a shot here had he still been there figuring that he's a natural S transition candidate.

I mean a guy like Thornhill was probably gonna go undrafted but/for being switched to safety. Williams could've done the same thing and been pretty damn highly regarded. Gimme a minute to ponder...

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 09:33 AM

If Crow didn't like Omenihu, he's really not gonna like this one.

The Chiefs select: Dre'Mont Jones, DT - OSU

I know fellas, no secondary. I get the frustration. I understand many of you think our secondary is a pile of smashed assholes but I don't agree. Moreover, I don't see anyone that's likely to come in and beat out any of our present 3 for a starting role anyway and there's a lot of developmental strength in the secondary in this draft.

Moreover, I don't think that's how Spags intends to run this D. And I think hiring Daly demonstrates exactly the 'strength in volume' approach that the defense is going to utilize in its pass rush.

Jones reminds me a TON of Gerald McCoy. McCoy has never quite made the leap into destroyer of worlds that his draft status said he could be because his anchor just isn't quite elite. Jones has that same problem and perhaps some time in the NFL and additional maturity will help in that regard, but it's not a deal breaker for what I'll be asking of him. He'll never be asked to be an elite run-stopper; Nnadi is perfect in that role for rush downs.

What you have in Jones is now a DL that allows us nearly infinite options in getting after the passer. The ability to twist/stunt, line up in different shades and formations is virtually limitless. This is not your daddy's 'wide nine, bend the edge and get after the QB' sort of pass rush. We're coming from everywhere and we're coming in waves because the depth on this line is now among the best in the leagu

Speak/Okafor, Jones/Nnadi, Jones, Omenihu/K-Pass give the Chiefs a deep, healthy defensive line that can win as soon as the ball is snapped and create havoc beyond merely generating sacks.

I really like the potential this creates and think it fits perfectly with the long-term plan here.

staylor26 03-22-2019 09:41 AM

Sneaky good pick. I’m probably higher on Jones than most, but I told a buddy that he reminds me of Jones in that he’s being overlooked a bit in a strong class of DL.

The signing of Breeland and Williams coming off the board is enough to justify not taking a corner IMO.

RunKC 03-22-2019 09:43 AM

Jones has flashed some and to his credit, he does have really good short area quickness...but I’ll be honest here...he scares me.

I see a bit of Breeland Speaks in him.

TambaBerry 03-22-2019 09:45 AM

I blame you all for letting DJ come back and get the Chiefs

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 09:46 AM

And still gaping hole at corner. Puke

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 09:47 AM

I like the picks in round 2. Just hate the 29th pick.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 09:48 AM

Joejuan is the bigger, fluid corner that Spags apparently likes. I love Joejuan. Passing on him is going to piss me off

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14174079)
Sneaky good pick. I’m probably higher on Jones than most, but I told a buddy that he reminds me of Jones in that he’s being overlooked a bit in a strong class of DL.

The signing of Breeland and Williams coming off the board is enough to justify not taking a corner IMO.

That was my thought as well; there's so little being said about him and I think people are missing out.

To Run's concerns regarding Speaks potential, I think he's so much more, for lack of a better word, slippery. Speaks may actually be better suited for some kind of 2-gap duty because I don't see a guy there that does a good job making himself little and getting through seams.

That's where Jones really excels. I think at the very worst you have a good interior pass-rusher in a similar mold to Nunez-Roches. His warts are going to be similar to RNR as well in that I think he'll have more snaps that he straight up 'loses' than you'd like to see. RNR was such a splash or nothing player that I can see how people are worried about Jones here as well.

But I love the motor on Jones and the tenacity. I like the raw skills and an innate understanding of how to get himself into space. He's not a perfect player and I'd have liked to see him do a little more at the combine, but the tape is what stands out more than the stopwatch here. The tape shows me a guy who plays faster than he times and who's upside in the right role is immense.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 09:51 AM

I definitely think Jones is going to be really damn good.

Like Omenihu but he’s more explosive inside imo

The Franchise 03-22-2019 09:54 AM

Updated.

O.city can **** off.

This is the first time I've been at a damn computer in over 24 hours.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 14174090)
Joejuan is the bigger, fluid corner that Spags apparently likes. I love Joejuan. Passing on him is going to piss me off

And I just don't see the 'fluid' side of that statement. He's big, for sure. But I watched him pretty closely during the CB drills and I didn't see a guy who's hips turned nearly as well as I'd like.

And during SEC play (who cares about non-con) he would follow up a nice play by being turned around by smaller, quicker WRs. Let's say we lose Fuller and manage to keep Ward and Breeland, I think we're gonna have a hard time with timing offenses at that point because I think both Williams and Ward will struggle with the same kind of player.

And he looked suuuuper grabby. That's something that becomes an even bigger problem at the next level when these guys have spent years learning how to use their feet to break a press (and coaches have spent hours figuring out how to scheme them into space). I think he'll have penalty issues, especially in the near term.

Like I said, I'd have probably taken him anyway with that Rams pick because I also see a decent fallback option if he doesn't develop his technique to deal with some of those issues. But I'm not crushed by having to take Jones instead.

kccrow 03-22-2019 09:57 AM

With the 64th pick, the New England Patriots select Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State

Bill gets an heir to Gronk with similar size and athletic traits.

kccrow 03-22-2019 09:59 AM

With the 65th pick, the Arizona Cardinals select Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech

The Cards finally do something to address their anemic pass rush. Ferguson lacks run-stopping ability but he does one thing really well and that's get pressure.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174101)
And I just don't see the 'fluid' side of that statement. He's big, for sure. But I watched him pretty closely during the CB drills and I didn't see a guy who's hips turned nearly as well as I'd like.

And during SEC play (who cares about non-con) he would follow up a nice play by being turned around by smaller, quicker WRs. Let's say we lose Fuller and manage to keep Ward and Breeland, I think we're gonna have a hard time with timing offenses at that point because I think both Williams and Ward will struggle with the same kind of player.

And he looked suuuuper grabby. That's something that becomes an even bigger problem at the next level when these guys have spent years learning how to use their feet to break a press (and coaches have spent hours figuring out how to scheme them into space). I think he'll have penalty issues, especially in the near term.

Like I said, I'd have probably taken him anyway with that Rams pick because I also see a decent fallback option if he doesn't develop his technique to deal with some of those issues. But I'm not crushed by having to take Jones instead.

It’s been awhile since I watch his tape, but when I saw him he looked like he moved well. I have to go back to my notes. I didn’t get to the combine drills. I have it all recorded. I understand the “grabby” but KC has some really good coaching that I think can minimize that now.

That said, this is why Veach is moving up. Because he’s not taking a ****ing center at 29 when we have huge needs on defense at all 3 levels

kccrow 03-22-2019 10:03 AM

I like Dre'Mont Jones and feel like he's a value at 63. I feel as though Omenihu is a monster reach at 61 though, but it's very Veach-like based on what I saw from him last year.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 14174115)
It’s been awhile since I watch his tape, but when I saw him he looked like he moved well. I have to go back to my notes. I didn’t get to the combine drills. I have it all recorded. I understand the “grabby” but KC has some really good coaching that I think can minimize that now.

That said, this is why Veach is moving up. Because he’s not taking a ****ing center at 29 when we have huge needs on defense at all 3 levels

I'd kill a nun to turn that 49ers 2nd into a mid-2nd this year if the draft fell like this.

If I could've added Bradbury, Walker, Omenihu and Jones from this draft...phew, that would've been sweet.

It would probably end up costing the 3rd rounder, but if I could give up a 3rd and next years 49ers 2nd to get a mid-2nd in this year's draft and a 4th, I'd probably do that. I just don't know that you're pulling that off.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174119)
I'd kill a nun to turn that 49ers 2nd into a mid-2nd this year if the draft fell like this.

If I could've added Bradbury, Walker, Omenihu and Jones from this draft...phew, that would've been sweet.

It would probably end up costing the 3rd rounder, but if I could give up a 3rd and next years 49ers 2nd to get a mid-2nd in this year's draft and a 4th, I'd probably do that. I just don't know that you're pulling that off.

And my problem still remains in the secondary. Breeland, Fuller and Ward just ain’t going to cut it. Honey Badger needs a good running mate. I like Watts but I’m not banking on that.

So I probably would’ve went Rapp at 29. If the board looks like that, I hope Veach moves back. You could crush this draft in rounds 2-3

htismaqe 03-22-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14174100)
O.city can **** off.

This is a given.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 14174125)
And my problem still remains in the secondary. Breeland, Fuller and Ward just ain’t going to cut it. Honey Badger needs a good running mate. I like Watts but I’m not banking on that.

So I probably would’ve went Rapp at 29. If the board looks like that, I hope Veach moves back. You could crush this draft in rounds 2-3

But if I go Rapp at 29, I'm probably still going McCoy at 61. And to be honest, I was gambling a little that Gardner-Johnson would fall to 61. CGJ might be my favorite running mate alongside Mathieu in this draft. He's a true single-high who can move down into the slot if needed. You could swing a true Cover 0 there with him and Mathieu and be in pretty good shape when the situation called for it.

I think the emphasis we've seen on run defense w/ Okafor and trading Ford suggests that we are looking at the DL to do more in the run game rather than relying on box safeties coming up and finishing plays. Especially with Mathieu also being a damn good downhill safety. So with the second safety position I'm looking for a rangy sort of player that I think can play a true CF.

A) I think CGJ would be outstanding in that regard but B) I thought that if I lost him, I don't mind seeing what we have in Lucas and Watts there. Lucas was at his best when he was seeing deep coverage assignments and as he gets a little more experience, I think his raw athleticism will shine through even better.

I think we're in better shape back there than many do. We have a couple of solid complementary coverage safety prospects in Lucas and Watts who I think can get the job done well.

htismaqe 03-22-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174135)
But if I go Rapp at 29, I'm probably still going McCoy at 61. And to be honest, I was gambling a little that Gardner-Johnson would fall to 61. CGJ might be my favorite running mate alongside Mathieu in this draft. He's a true single-high who can move down into the slot if needed. You could swing a true Cover 0 there with him and Mathieu and be in pretty good shape when the situation called for it.

I think the emphasis we've seen on run defense w/ Okafor and trading Ford suggests that we are looking at the DL to do more in the run game rather than relying on box safeties coming up and finishing plays. Especially with Mathieu also being a damn good downhill safety. So with the second safety position I'm looking for a rangy sort of player that I think can play a true CF.

A) I think CGJ would be outstanding in that regard but B) I thought that if I lost him, I don't mind seeing what we have in Lucas and Watts there. Lucas was at his best when he was seeing deep coverage assignments and as he gets a little more experience, I think his raw athleticism will shine through even better.

I think we're in better shape back there than many do. We have a couple of solid complementary coverage safety prospects in Lucas and Watts who I think can get the job done well.

Right now, they don't have enough CB's on the roster to actually play a game. That being said, I don't really have a problem with what you've done. They've got Mahomes, everything else is gravy.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174135)

Big fan of CGJ. He showed a ton of improvement from 2017-2018. I’d be more than happy with him at 29 also because these guys aren’t falling to 61. I just don’t want the scrap heap at corner and safety, so passing on them at 29 leads to that at 61 and 63.

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 10:37 AM

I also fee Omenihu and Jones are both inside guys. Not a fan of Omenihu at edge/end. He’s more explosive inside.

I’d just feel much better with a Rapp, Jones and someone else.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 14174169)
Big fan of CGJ. He showed a ton of improvement from 2017-2018. I’d be more than happy with him at 29 also because these guys aren’t falling to 61. I just don’t want the scrap heap at corner and safety, so passing on them at 29 leads to that at 61 and 63.

It's possible, but unlikely, that the safeties fly off the board like they have in this draft.

We've all had our noses so buried in our books looking at Defense for this team that we've built up some guys, especially at safety, that are probably inflated a bit in our world.

Rapp may be one of those guys, especially if you're looking at him as a 1st rounder. Gardner-Johnson, OTOH, I think was undervalued because I think some team out there will love him as a single-high type who I think really could sneak into the 1st.

It will just be awfully interesting to see how this goes. The amount of safeties flying around in FA could cut either direction. It could either convince teams that they've already committed enough organizational resources to the position to let it slide OR it could convince them that the position is getting expensive enough that they should target it more heavily in the draft.

I'm really intrigued how NFL front offices are going to view safety in this draft. It's an open question, IMO.

chiefscafan 03-22-2019 10:41 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Tre Lamar, ILB, Clemson

The Steelers have never truly recovered from the Ryan Shazier injury. Tre Lamsr is exciting dynamic LB who has major room for growth and can possibly become the new leader of the new Steel Curiain. Excited that he was available this late.

The Franchise 03-22-2019 10:42 AM

Would you have taken Adderely over Bradbury if he was there at 29?

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 14174179)
I also fee Omenihu and Jones are both inside guys. Not a fan of Omenihu at edge/end. He’s more explosive inside.

I’d just feel much better with a Rapp, Jones and someone else.

Worst case scenario is that Omenihu is an excellent long-term SDE for us.

His punch/hands are top-notch. He may never have the bend to be a true LEO as we have come to know them, a guy that can just lean around the tackle to finish the play. But even if that doesn't happen, you put him on that strong side and let him win with technique and I think he's a stud.

Part of my fondness for Omenihu comes from my general disdain for Speaks and distrust of K-Pass.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14174187)
Would you have taken Adderely over Bradbury if he was there at 29?

Yes.

Because of the versatility and what he could free up Spags to do with Mathieu. If you're arguing for Rapp, that's how you're doing it (I just like Adderly more).

You could have two almost completely interchangeable safeties who could go into the box or back into coverage on any given snap. Hell, they could slip into short zones or even the slot and free up some interesting blitz possibilities. It really makes it tough to guess how to deploy route combinations or even protections when you don't know who's gonna be going up/back, releasing or running.

I think that's probably what Crow envisions with Thornhill; I simply think Adderly plays with a litte more edge and a brings a little better skill in space. And I think that's what the Rapp fans are envisioning as well, but I don't think Rapp has the agility/fluidity to be a real asset in single-high. If I'm comparing Thornhill to Addrerly I'm comparing Rapp to Abrams.

I think Adderly can be the second swiss army knife back there that opens up a lot of possibilities.

The Franchise 03-22-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174203)
Yes.

Because of the versatility and what he could free up Spags to do with Mathieu. If you're arguing for Rapp, that's how you're doing it (I just like Adderly more).

You could have two almost completely interchangeable safeties who could go into the box or back into coverage on any given snap. Hell, they could slip into short zones or even the slot and free up some interesting blitz possibilities. It really makes it tough to guess how to deploy route combinations or even protections when you don't know who's gonna be going up/back, releasing or running.

I think that's probably what Crow envisions with Thornhill; I simply think Adderly plays with a litte more edge and a brings a little better skill in space. And I think that's what the Rapp fans are envisioning as well, but I don't think Rapp has the agility/fluidity to be a real asset in single-high. If I'm comparing Thornhill to Addrerly I'm comparing Rapp to Abrams.

I think Adderly can be the second swiss army knife back there that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Think he's worth trading up for? Or would you be content with getting a guy like Gardner-Johnson?

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174189)
Worst case scenario is that Omenihu is an excellent long-term SDE for us.

His punch/hands are top-notch. He may never have the bend to be a true LEO as we have come to know them, a guy that can just lean around the tackle to finish the play. But even if that doesn't happen, you put him on that strong side and let him win with technique and I think he's a stud.

Part of my fondness for Omenihu comes from my general disdain for Speaks and distrust of K-Pass.

And I’m fine with that, however, I’m still left needing more at safety and corner. I also feel that they do too since they almost had Earl Thomas too.

God I hated the Speaks pick but still giving it a chance

htismaqe 03-22-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174203)
Yes.

The only thing I disagree with is comparing Rapp to Abram. I think a little more highly of Rapp and a little less of Abram. Honestly, I think Abram reminds of Thomas Davis, who ended up being a linebacker in the NFL.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14174218)
Think he's worth trading up for? Or would you be content with getting a guy like Gardner-Johnson?

At the cost of one of our 2nds? Nah, I don't think so.

But admittedly, I vacillate a lot here. Sometimes I'm taken in by the number of needs I'd like to address in some capacity. Other times I'm able to convince myself that the hit rate on draft picks is a hell of a lot lower than we realize and that standing closer to the board is better than getting an extra dart; that it's more critical that we address a need for SURE rather than get another shot at addressing multiple needs.

I'm not sure if I'd be making phonecalls around pick 20 or if I'd just make sure I had my ringer turned up in case someone called me. It's a damn close question.

chiefscafan 03-22-2019 11:01 AM

I’m liking how the draft has fallen to Steelers the rest of this draft is gonna be interesting.

CoMoChief 03-22-2019 11:02 AM

San Francisco 49ers select Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis

*Good pass catching back, gives SF a good 1-2 punch w/ Breida*

DJ's left nut 03-22-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14174234)
The only thing I disagree with is comparing Rapp to Abram. I think a little more highly of Rapp and a little less of Abram. Honestly, I think Abram reminds of Thomas Davis, who ended up being a linebacker in the NFL.

Yeah, I think Rapp's a little more limited in space than you're giving him credit for, but I can see the attempt at the argument.

In a vacuum, do you see Rapp as a legitimate 1st round talent? I just don't. If I'm gonna see a limitation on a player and still put him in the 1st round, that limitation better not be the most critical one for that position. To me, Rapps is pretty much a pure SS and that coverage limitation makes him a 2nd round talent.

And so I just can't talk myself into taking him in the 1st because I think that's a pure need pick at that point. And I still maintain that over the course of 2+ seasons, every position on your team is going to be a need in some form or fashion. You put a hell of a ceiling on your draft returns if you just keep chasing them.

That's why I love how Dorsey drafted. He knew what his near term needs were but he also looked to what they were going to be in a season or 2. And so if he was on the clock and saw a need now with an okay prospect but a BETTER prospect at a position where there was a likely need in the future, he went with the latter option and hoped to raise the ceiling and overall depth of the team.

htismaqe 03-22-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14174244)
Yeah, I think Rapp's a little more limited in space than you're giving him credit for, but I can see the attempt at the argument.

In a vacuum, do you see Rapp as a legitimate 1st round talent? I just don't. If I'm gonna see a limitation on a player and still put him in the 1st round, that limitation better not be the most critical one for that position. To me, Rapps is pretty much a pure SS and that coverage limitation makes him a 2nd round talent.

And so I just can't talk myself into taking him in the 1st because I think that's a pure need pick at that point. And I still maintain that over the course of 2+ seasons, every position on your team is going to be a need in some form or fashion. You put a hell of a ceiling on your draft returns if you just keep chasing them.

That's why I love how Dorsey drafted. He knew what his near term needs were but he also looked to what they were going to be in a season or 2. And so if he was on the clock and saw a need now with an okay prospect but a BETTER prospect at a position where there was a likely need in the future, he went with the latter option and hoped to raise the ceiling and overall depth of the team.

We're actually not that far off. I think Rapp is a borderline guy. I *might* take him at 29, but mid-2nd seems a little better. I don't think he's strictly a SS but he definitely doesn't have the range that those other guys do, that's true.

My comment was more geared towards Abram, who in my mind isn't even a pure SS. Like I said, he might end up a LB when it is all said and done.

staylor26 03-22-2019 11:22 AM

The New York Jets select David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin

Mother****erJones 03-22-2019 11:29 AM

So what are we thinking the prime spot is for moving up? I think they’re moving up for an edge. My top edge choice in the teens is Burns and Ferrell. Not sure Sweat makes it into the teens after his testing