ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

Fish 02-10-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6522940)
you are basically saying YOU wouldn't use the USB, but everyone is not you.

example ...

you are going on a vacation to see grandma petunia with the kids. You want to read some on the trip but don't want to carry a bunch of books with you so you just take the digital version on the apple tablet. You are packing and at the last minute you forgot about all those pictures you took of the kids at Disneyland you wanted to show grandma. Dam ... Grandma Petunia is 105 years old and won't be able to see that small little screen on a phone or camera and you don't have time to print them out. So you'll just grab a USB thumbnail drive and stick in into the USB port on the Apple tablet and use the tablet to show grandma the pictures. The Apple tablet with serve 2 purposes on the trip!!! :)

oh wait ...... the asshats at apple didn't put a simple USB port on the tablet.

Sorry grandma, you'll be dead before we get a chance to come up to see you again ... you can't see the Disneyland pictures.

Thanks Apple for letting my grandma die weeping because she didn't get to see her grand kids at disneyland.

so Mr. Irish hawk ... is this enough specific information for you to understand how somebody else would want usb drive on the apple tablet?

ROFL Awesome.

And don't forget that Granny lives out in the sticks, outside of 3G coverage, and she doesn't have internet.

irishjayhawk 02-10-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6522943)
And there are rumors that the usb attachment will be limited. I'm surprised nobody every had anything you wanted to copy off of a flash drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6522950)
who's trying to argue beside you

I'm just shooting down his grossly inaccurate statement, which I did.

Quote:

you want to know why some people would want a USB port ... i gave you a reason. Just because it's not enough information to meet your debate argument standard is irrelevant.

Apple meet customer
customer wants a USB port because it makes them feel good about themselves
so give them a fracking USB port
Yes, except then one has to build a file system. Or an app for a file system. (I'm betting they do, if for nothing else but to sell the adapters).

That's a great example, except that 99% of cameras use SD cards and I've actively advocated that addition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6522951)
except for what I quoted and commented on was about USB ports, and the lack there of on the iPad.

And then promptly said Apple's Macs operate in the same way: only being used how Apple wants them used. Another way to shoot down that quote is to use jailbroken ipods/iPhones.

Quote:

I'm sorry IJH, this thing is a PoS. I said it before and will say it again, Apple could have knocked it out of the park with this device, instead they half-assed a shitty open faced netbook.
You'll see me in this very thread saying it's a) not living up to the hype and b) isn't where it needs to be.

However, once again, you immediately say it's a PoS. It is most certainly not a PoS. Is it where it needs to be? Absolutely not.

Apple could never have knocked it out of the park. If they put 1 USB port, people complain there isn't more (See Macbook Air). People would have complained about the lack of a physical keyboard (and still do). As for how it stacks up against netbooks, well, that's pretty subjective. I view the whole category of traditional netbooks as worthless. The iPad at least crosses into a better category.

irishjayhawk 02-10-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6522966)
Honestly man, this is the most reeruned argument i have ever heard.

Example:

I have 3.5 GB's of photo's on my PC that I would like to show on my new $400 Picture Viewer (iPad). I know, I will just throw them on a USB Jump Drive and trans.....ohhhh....wait.

****ing LAME.

Oh, wait, you can automatically transfer them when it's ****ing docked. :rolleyes:

morphius 02-10-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6522985)
I'm just shooting down his grossly inaccurate statement, which I did.

Yes, except then one has to build a file system. Or an app for a file system. (I'm betting they do, if for nothing else but to sell the adapters).

That's a great example, except that 99% of cameras use SD cards and I've actively advocated that addition.

And then promptly said Apple's Macs operate in the same way: only being used how Apple wants them used. Another way to shoot down that quote is to use jailbroken ipods/iPhones.

You'll see me in this very thread saying it's a) not living up to the hype and b) isn't where it needs to be.

However, once again, you immediately say it's a PoS. It is most certainly not a PoS. Is it where it needs to be? Absolutely not.

Apple could never have knocked it out of the park. If they put 1 USB port, people complain there isn't more (See Macbook Air). People would have complained about the lack of a physical keyboard (and still do). As for how it stacks up against netbooks, well, that's pretty subjective. I view the whole category of traditional netbooks as worthless. The iPad at least crosses into a better category.

And yet we have 1 vote for no USB and all the rest for it, hmmm.

Though I guess we should wait for Apples replacement for USB, even though super fast USB 3.0 is now coming up...

irishjayhawk 02-10-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6523018)
And yet we have 1 vote for no USB and all the rest for it, hmmm.

Of course, let's put anything a majority of people want. If you want to see failures of that idea, see MySpace for the biggest one.

Quote:

Though I guess we should wait for Apples replacement for USB, even though super fast USB 3.0 is now coming up...
Superfast still doesn't beat wireless.

WoodDraw 02-10-2010 06:22 PM

I use USB constantly. Let's not pretend its an outdated technology. Sitting in front of me right now, I have my iPod, camera, and phone all with USB cables attached to them, plus a USB drive plugged in.

Of course, the functioning of the iPad (and I still do giggle every time I say that name) lends itself to life without USB. If we had an OS X tablet, it would be essential. The iPad, just nice.

morphius 02-10-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6523020)
Of course, let's put anything a majority of people want. If you want to see failures of that idea, see MySpace for the biggest one.

Actually it does, because it doesn't require recharging or batteries...

irishjayhawk 02-10-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 6523041)
I use USB constantly. Let's not pretend its an outdated technology. Sitting in front of me right now, I have my iPod, camera, and phone all with USB cables attached to them, plus a USB drive plugged in.

No doubt. And it's not outdated at all. I'm just saying that Apple's working on a replacement with Intel and essentially what you say below.

Quote:

Of course, the functioning of the iPad (and I still do giggle every time I say that name) lends itself to life without USB. If we had an OS X tablet, it would be essential. The iPad, just nice.
Exactly. I don't see how the iPad needs USB. If it was a fully fledged computer, sure. But it's not.

irishjayhawk 02-10-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6523047)
Actually it does, because it doesn't require recharging or batteries...

Except that it's then draining the battery of the iPad, which, in turn, would make people cry about battery life.

morphius 02-10-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah, lets compare a crappy site to something every other computer and tablet computer has...

kaplin42 02-10-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6522990)
Oh, wait, you can automatically transfer them when it's ****ing docked. :rolleyes:

and you always have your dock with you? This is an insane argument man. The point is, apple didnt even think it worth to put a USB ports on the damn thing.

Nothing you can say will justify that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6522990)

Are you saying that in order to use an apple product the way that one might want to, if it doesn't agree with how Apple wants you to, then one should Jailbreak it. I fail to see how that is a good thing. And for the record, you agree and confirmed that apple has always been like that. Limited choice, use it the way they want you to.

kaplin42 02-10-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Dude, no USB is a tard move. has nothing to do with what the masses want, it has more to do with the fact that the majority of accessories out there are USB.

I get that you want to defend the product and Apple, but this, you have to admit is stupid.

Fish 02-10-2010 07:38 PM

I think what irishjayhawk is trying to get at is that the OS that they put on the iPad essentially negates the ability to use any USB or SD input. Since it's running the iPhone OS instead of OS X. Nothing in the iPhone OS or any of it's current apps supports USB or SD input. If it's not part of the OS, that means no api controls for app developers to use to take advantage of it with 3rd party apps. So crippling it with the iPhone OS had the added benefit of making USB impossible to use with anything.

Which comes back to the bigger mistake of not putting OS X on the damn thing.

irishjayhawk 02-10-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6523072)
Yeah, lets compare a crappy site to something every other computer and tablet computer has...

:spock:

You missed the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6523142)
and you always have your dock with you? This is an insane argument man. The point is, apple didnt even think it worth to put a USB ports on the damn thing.

Nothing you can say will justify that.

Yeah, I can't do anything about them not including it. But I can justify it.

Quote:

Are you saying that in order to use an apple product the way that one might want to, if it doesn't agree with how Apple wants you to, then one should Jailbreak it. I fail to see how that is a good thing. And for the record, you agree and confirmed that apple has always been like that. Limited choice, use it the way they want you to.
Jailbreaking is an indication that runs counter to your original claim and the one you make here. That is, use it the way they want you to use it. That's simply not true. On my Mac, I have plenty of software they probably don't approve of. I also can run anything I want and plug in anything I want to the computer. I am not limited by what they want me to use it for.

As for limited choice, it's really only limited by their App store approval or in the case of desktops and laptops, hardware upgrades. Of course, it's a trade off: better OS with tightly integrated hardware that lasts a long time versus lesser OS with loosely integrated hardware that can be upgraded and therefore last a long time.

Less choice isn't always bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6523153)
Dude, no USB is a tard move. has nothing to do with what the masses want, it has more to do with the fact that the majority of accessories out there are USB.

Like what? Keyboards? It has bluetooth. That hasn't inhibited you from using keyboards. So you don't wanna do bluetooth, fine, they included an onscreen keyboard OR an accessory they've provided and other companies will too.

Transfer 3.6 gigs of photos from a flash drive? That's an unnecessary middle step.

Forget to transfer pics to your device? A) that's your fault B) if it had an SD card which I've said all along it would do well to have, you'd be fine and C) you have a myrid of options other than a flash drive to get your pictures there. Not to mention the possibility of VNC over 3g (if possible) or Wifi, where you could access your home computer.

I just don't see many instances where having a USB port built in would justify it. Not to mention the thickness skyrockets and the aesthetics would be shit. (Not that how it looks is the end all be all.)

Quote:

I get that you want to defend the product and Apple, but this, you have to admit is stupid.
No, I'm far from defending this product as evidenced by my pre-USB posts. What I don't have to do is admit that the lack of USB means that the product is a PoS. That, right there, would be the mark of a fanboism. For all its faults, it is not a PoS.

Quote:

I think what irishjayhawk is trying to get at is that the OS that they put on the iPad essentially negates the ability to use any USB or SD input. Since it's running the iPhone OS instead of OS X. Nothing in the iPhone OS or any of it's current apps supports USB or SD input. If it's not part of the OS, that means no api controls for app developers to use to take advantage of it with 3rd party apps. So crippling it with the iPhone OS had the added benefit of making USB impossible to use with anything.

Well, I don't think it's a mistake. Reason being: it's obvious to anyone paying attention that they're slowly merging the two into one. Simply putting OSX on a tablet opens up pandora's box for shit that can go wrong. If they take their time and merge them together like they're doing now, I think people will understand why this transition product was important.

Think about it this way. Cut and Paste was absent from iPhone 1.0-2.9. They waited for a long, long time before adding it. Guess what? It beats any copy and paste experience on any phone. It just works. Making things just work takes more than just throwing every feature into something and shipping it.

DaFace 02-10-2010 08:43 PM

irishjayhawk:iPad::KnowMo2724:Broncos

dirk digler 02-10-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6523252)

I kind of don't buy that argument considering they are selling USB adapters (the iPad Camera Connection Kit) which can transfer photos\videos via USB\SD.

It seems to me they want you to buy extra accessories to make more money.

irishjayhawk 02-11-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 6523400)
irishjayhawk:iPad::KnowMo2724:Broncos

That's just too low a blow.

KCFalcon59 02-11-2010 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6522943)
And there are rumors that the usb attachment will be limited. I'm surprised nobody every had anything you wanted to copy off of a flash drive.

And don't forget expensive.

KCFalcon59 02-11-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6523417)

This

Silock 02-11-2010 07:31 AM

Or maybe they didn't include it because not everyone wants that feature and it would have made the iPad more expensive to get into.

irishjayhawk 02-11-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6523417)

I would normally agree. However, this is not like Nintendo where they sell two parts to a controller or the PS2's multitap instead of just building in 4 ports.

The device is super thin. USB is, by default, not as thin. So, one has to redesign the whole thing. I really don't think it's an accessory thing. I also think you'll see other manufacturers building such accessories.

kaplin42 02-11-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6525923)
I would normally agree. However, this is not like Nintendo where they sell two parts to a controller or the PS2's multitap instead of just building in 4 ports.

The device is super thin. USB is, by default, not as thin. So, one has to redesign the whole thing. I really don't think it's an accessory thing. I also think you'll see other manufacturers building such accessories.

The iPhone isn't thinner than a USB, no way this thing is going to be.

You and Silock are so far out there on this its not even funny.

irishjayhawk 02-12-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6525947)
The iPhone isn't thinner than a USB, no way this thing is going to be.

You and Silock are so far out there on this its not even funny.

It's very, very close. I can't find any measurements on a USB port so I can't say for sure. Just like the iPhone and iPod touch, the thickest parts will be in the center of the device for a slightly curved shape. Figuring that they'd also need to surround the port with the aluminum, it'll need to be slightly thicker than the USB port's actual thickness. So, it's very close.

The iPad is .5 inches thick.

The Rick 03-12-2010 02:36 PM

On sale now. Available April 3rd. You can order it online and have it shipped to your house on the 3rd, or you can reserve a copy and pick it up in a nearby Apple store between 9am and 3pm on that day.

I went ahead and reserved one. No obligation, don't even have to provide any form of payment. If you aren't there by 3pm to pick it up, they just give it to someone else instead. Now, I have 3 weeks to decide if I want to go ahead and buy it or not...

KCFalcon59 03-12-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6598847)
On sale now. Available April 3rd. You can order it online and have it shipped to your house on the 3rd, or you can reserve a copy and pick it up in a nearby Apple store between 9am and 3pm on that day.

I went ahead and reserved one. No obligation, don't even have to provide any form of payment. If you aren't there by 3pm to pick it up, they just give it to someone else instead. Now, I have 3 weeks to decide if I want to go ahead and buy it or not...

Which did you reserve? 16,32,or 64?

The Rick 03-12-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 6599009)
Which did you reserve? 16,32,or 64?

I did the 32. I went back and forth, and finally decided to settle on the middle one.

I have a 32 GB iPhone and am currently using half that between songs, photos, movies, and apps. Figured the 16 GB iPad might be a little small as a result. Considered the 64 GB iPad, but decided I'd save myself $100.

I'm hoping eventually you'll be able to use it to stream music, movies, and photos from other computers in the house (or via the web).

irishjayhawk 03-13-2010 11:11 PM

The more I see it in action (ala commercials recently) the more I'm convinced it's a big win product.

Problem is, it doesn't fill the niche I was in the market for: ereader. (As covered in this thread.)

patteeu 03-14-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6602493)
The more I see it in action (ala commercials recently) the more I'm convinced it's a big win product.

Problem is, it doesn't fill the niche I was in the market for: ereader. (As covered in this thread.)

So what's the win about, then? What niche does it fill, IYO?

NewChief 03-14-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6603110)

I have a friend who owns a Subaru dealership. They're ordering two. They're going to use them as sales props. They can show videos and features and such of the cars they're selling to customers. Sort of like an interactive pamphlet on steroids.

It reminds me of the way a blogger I follow envisioned them being used: almost like magazines in a waiting room of various offices. Of course, you've got to figure out a way to keep them from walking off (which happens with magazines all the time), but I can definitely see them being used like that... seeing as I've already seen some waiting rooms that install computers for people to use while they wait.

irishjayhawk 03-14-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6603110)

Realistic traveling entertainment device. Realistic in that it isn't a small screen like the touch/iPhone.

It could save newspapers and magazines as they reinvent themselves.

|Zach| 03-14-2010 11:12 PM

My business partner and I are getting one for the photography studio.

The Rick 03-30-2010 03:40 PM

Anyone picking up an iPad this Saturday?

As I stated before, I went ahead and reserved one. I have until Saturday at 3 PM to pick it up, otherwise it's up for grabs.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pick it up. I'm convinced it's going to be a pretty big deal. Newspapers and magazines are jumping on board. I'm starting to think that gaming is going to be huge on it. It'll never replace a PS3 or Xbox, but for more casual gaming, it'll be huge. Casual gaming like the stuff you see on Facebook, along with popular board games like Scrabble, etc.

Apple recently posted some quick guided tours, which look pretty nice:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

The Rick 03-30-2010 03:41 PM

Anyone picking up an iPad this Saturday?

As I stated before, I went ahead and reserved one. I have until Saturday at 3 PM to pick it up, otherwise it's up for grabs.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pick it up. I'm convinced it's going to be a pretty big deal. Newspapers and magazines are jumping on board. I'm starting to think that gaming is going to be huge on it. It'll never replace a PS3 or Xbox, but for more casual gaming, it'll be huge. Casual gaming like the stuff you see on Facebook, along with popular board games like Scrabble, etc.

Apple recently posted some quick guided tours, which look pretty nice:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

QuikSsurfer 03-30-2010 03:56 PM

A good friend of mine that owns a local internet cafe is going to pick his up, business VIP style, no waiting in lines..
I look forward to playing around with it.

Bane 03-30-2010 04:33 PM

Nope.I love my Macs,but I'll wait till it can do just a lil bit more than an I pod touch then I'll get one.

Fish 03-30-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6643783)
Nope.I love my Macs,but I'll wait till it can do just a lil bit more than an I pod touch then I'll get one.

:thumb:

irishjayhawk 03-30-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6643783)

I think the newspaper & magazine potential already lifts it above the iPod Touch.

That said, I still don't think it's for me. Just yet...

Bane 03-30-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6643895)
I think the newspaper & magazine potential already lifts it above the iPod Touch.

That said, I still don't think it's for me. Just yet...

Well I mean more than it already does above what the I pod touch does.It's not real far away from what it'll take to get me but I'm gonna hold out just a bit longer.

NewChief 03-30-2010 07:04 PM

I really want to see how the e-reader feature works as far as lighting. If it's good, my wife and I will definitely look into it. She's really into design magazines and books, so it would be an awesome way to view them since it has color (which e-ink screens don't, right?) I'm really into books and I keep many books going at one time, so I think I'd really enjoy that feature if the lighting doesn't strain my eyes.

We may end up getting a traditional e-reader with e-ink for me and a ipad with color for her. We'll see.

007 03-30-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6644041)
I really want to see how the e-reader feature works as far as lighting. If it's good, my wife and I will definitely look into it. She's really into design magazines and books, so it would be an awesome way to view them since it has color (which e-ink screens don't, right?) I'm really into books and I keep many books going at one time, so I think I'd really enjoy that feature if the lighting doesn't strain my eyes.

We may end up getting a traditional e-reader with e-ink for me and a ipad with color for her. We'll see.

Would be nice if they could find a way to support both on one device.

The Rick 04-01-2010 10:49 AM

Sweet! Netflix has an iPad app for instant streaming of movies!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/n...apps-revealed/

kaplin42 04-01-2010 02:04 PM

Apple to block HTML from iPhone, iTouch and iPad in the next 4.0 update. Replacing it with it's own brand called iHTML, where the sites have to be approved by them in order to be viewed.

Hmmmm, letting some company control what I do and do not do with an item that I paid for and there for is mine to do so with as I please, NO THANKS!! But im sure the iFanatics will be here to defend that move in 3...2...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/01/apple_ihtml/

teedubya 04-01-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6644045)
Would be nice if they could find a way to support both on one device.

They can, It is called the Notion Ink "Adam", coming out soon. Does EInk and regular capacitive touch... plus it's less expensive, open, with a front facing camera, and it has Android OS on it.

teedubya 04-01-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6647107)
Apple to block HTML from iPhone, iTouch and iPad in the next 4.0 update. Replacing it with it's own brand called iHTML, where the sites have to be approved by them in order to be viewed.

Hmmmm, letting some company control what I do and do not do with an item that I paid for and there for is mine to do so with as I please, NO THANKS!! But im sure the iFanatics will be here to defend that move in 3...2...

uh,

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/foru...html/#c_732463

kaplin42 04-01-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs (Post 6647126)

Yeah just thought of that. Still wouldnt surprise me though if it was true

irishjayhawk 04-01-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6647107)

:LOL:

Saulbadguy 04-01-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 6647132)
Yeah just thought of that. Still wouldnt surprise me though if it was true

Dumbass.

morphius 04-01-2010 11:02 PM

This is my favorite, lol.

http://cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/u...-dock_main.jpg

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/pad-dock/index.html

The Rick 04-06-2010 03:03 PM

Anyone know how to "disable" the mobile version of ChiefsPlanet? I want to see the full site, not the mobile one...

pr_capone 04-06-2010 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6656199)
Anyone know how to "disable" the mobile version of ChiefsPlanet? I want to see the full site, not the mobile one...

try this from User CP

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 6656228)
try this from User CP

I don't know if that works when the site is managing the view via browser agents.

JD10367 04-06-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6656199)

I've seen this mentioned before. What is it all about? I just open Safari and go to the website and it looks just like this page.

Fish 04-06-2010 03:25 PM

I'm still rather unimpressed with the iPad, after playing with it for a while. The keyboard just isn't really comfortable to use unless you sit the thing down on another surface and have both hands free. Rather unwieldy to type on while holding it. There's not much on it out of the box. The icons look all lost and lonely.

The screen is nice though. Feels more sturdy than I expected. And the battery last longer than expected. They let you set a different background screen, separate from the lock screen. Which should have been standard on iPhone OS from the beginning.

I still have no inclination to own one. Maybe a later revision. Maybe when it's jailbroken...

The Rick 04-06-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6656256)
I've seen this mentioned before. What is it all about? I just open Safari and go to the website and it looks just like this page.

Using the iPad I picked up. The screen is great for normal web browsing, but when visiting CP, I get the mobile version of the site. I tried going in to "User CP", but the settings on the mobile version of "User CP" are really limited.

The Rick 04-06-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6656271)
I'm still rather unimpressed with the iPad, after playing with it for a while. The keyboard just isn't really comfortable to use unless you sit the thing down on another surface and have both hands free. Rather unwieldy to type on while holding it. There's not much on it out of the box. The icons look all lost and lonely.

The screen is nice though. Feels more sturdy than I expected. And the battery last longer than expected. They let you set a different background screen, separate from the lock screen. Which should have been standard on iPhone OS from the beginning.

I still have no inclination to own one. Maybe a later revision. Maybe when it's jailbroken...

It already has been jailbroken!

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS339969080220100405

Fritz88 04-06-2010 03:27 PM

It seems to me that if Steve jobs released his to shit to apple fanboys, we'd still have people buying it

The Rick 04-06-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 6656278)
It seems to me that if Steve jobs released his to shit to apple fanboys, we'd still have people buying it

I'm not sure why Apple products are so polarizing to people. I guess they just make really good stuff that a lot of people really like. Others get annoyed at this for whatever reason and feel the need to go in to attack mode.

I still think the iPad is going to be a big deal. It is a big deal. Not everyone will own one, but it sets the standard for the future of computing. Devices like it will become more common, much like the iPhone set the standard for all the other smartphones you see today.

I love mine. It just feels so sexy in my hands when browsing the web, checking email, playing games, etc. The best way I can describe it is like it simply disappears...like it gets out of the way between you and your content.

I have no problem with people who have actually used one before developing an opinion. It's crazy to me though that people can formulate such strong opinions without actually using something.

Also, to those who say it's just a big iPhone/iPod touch...it's like saying a swimming pool is just a big bathtub.

Mr. Laz 04-06-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6656276)

i wonder if if Apple knew it would get hacked and just let it go for extra attention?

People love when stuff gets hacked and they think they are getting something for free. All the Hacked features will be opened up sooner or later anyway.

Fish 04-06-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6656276)

Yes... but not really. That's just the first step in a long process. Not what I would consider a "public" jailbreak method. The "hack" that they're using for this already existed, since it was created for the iPhone, they just weren't sure if it would fully work or not.

The funny thing is that since it's running the iPhone OS, they have a huge advantage in the fact that they can use many of the existing hack methods. And they've had several methods of jailbreaking that they have refused to release to anyone. Just for the benefit of nobody knowing about them, therefore staying ahead of Apple programmers.

Jailbroken iPad apps are already showing up...

Mr. Laz 04-06-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 6656313)
It just feels so sexy in my hands when browsing the web, checking email, playing games, etc.

you know how i know you're a gay nerd...

Fish 04-06-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure why Apple products are so polarizing to people.

I love mine. It just feels so sexy in my hands when browsing the web, checking email, playing games, etc.

I think you answered your own question.... :p

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6656271)

I don't mind the icons looking lost and lonely, but your characterization of the keyboard highlights my initial impressions from playing with it in the store. Much higher learning curve to type on than iPhone.

Quote:

It was a bit heavy for me, honestly. I don't know what i expected though. And I think you will have seen quite a bit of things in the OS that we'll see in the next generation of Phones/touches (same OS). Background being one of them.

Quote:

I'm not sure why Apple products are so polarizing to people. I guess they just make really good stuff that a lot of people really like. Others get annoyed at this for whatever reason and feel the need to go in to attack mode.

I still think the iPad is going to be a big deal. It is a big deal. Not everyone will own one, but it sets the standard for the future of computing. Devices like it will become more common, much like the iPhone set the standard for all the other smartphones you see today.

That's how I felt after the disappointment of the unveiling. It's going to change things like iPhone changed the phone world.

Quote:

I love mine. It just feels so sexy in my hands when browsing the web, checking email, playing games, etc. The best way I can describe it is like it simply disappears...like it gets out of the way between you and your content.
Some CEO or journalist was quoted by saying something like Apple's marketing uses the world magical to describe holding the internet in your hands, and there really isn't another word for it.

Quote:

I have no problem with people who have actually used one before developing an opinion. It's crazy to me though that people can formulate such strong opinions without actually using something.

Also, to those who say it's just a big iPhone/iPod touch...it's like saying a swimming pool is just a big bathtub.
Ditto on both counts.

Fish 04-06-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6656325)
i wonder if if Apple knew it would get hacked and just let it go for extra attention?

People love when stuff gets hacked and they think they are getting something for free. All the Hacked features will be opened up sooner or later anyway.

Trust me, Jobs would love it if they could actually make this thing unhackable. You should hear some of Apple's "propaganda" on how Apple service tech's are supposed to handle jailbroken situations when they are found. It's hilarious. Apple Ethics is a very important part of Apple certification, and they take it really really seriously....

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6656374)
Trust me, Jobs would love it if they could actually make this thing unhackable. You should hear some of Apple's "propaganda" on how Apple service tech's are supposed to handle jailbroken situations when they are found. It's hilarious. Apple Ethics is a very important part of Apple certification, and they take it really really seriously....

Yeah.

It's ironic Jobs holds this view now.

|Zach| 04-06-2010 04:19 PM

Love it. Integrating it into a lot of aspects of my photography studio.

Silock 04-06-2010 05:03 PM

Greetings from my iPad. Wife bought herself one for work... Now I think I want one. So freaking cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Basileus777 04-06-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6656325)

I doubt they want it to get hacked, not when it leads to piracy.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 05:26 PM

I still don't get it guys... why not wait a month and get the ICD Gemini... runs on Android 2.1(so you can actually view a FLASH website) - it is 2" longer - faster processor - sdcard slot - fm radio - makes VOICE CALLS - can receive/send SMS and MMS - has both a forward facing and rear camera with autofocus - HD VIDEO SUPPORT - can support USB peripherals - AND has built in GPS.

Personally I will wait until the MS Courier comes out to look into that space...

JD10367 04-06-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656596)
I still don't get it guys... why not wait a month and get the ICD Gemini... runs on Android 2.1(so you can actually view a FLASH website) - it is 2" longer - faster processor - sdcard slot - fm radio - makes VOICE CALLS - can receive/send SMS and MMS - has both a forward facing and rear camera with autofocus - HD VIDEO SUPPORT - can support USB peripherals - AND has built in GPS.

Personally I will wait until the MS Courier comes out to look into that space...

Never heard of it but, with those specs, I'll definitely look into it.

I love Apple. Always have. Owned a Macintosh. Owned a mid-90s Mac. Own a bunch of iPods, including the Touch. But look at that massive list of "things the iPad CAN'T do". Really, Apple... what were you thinking?

AustinChief 04-06-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6656605)
Never heard of it but, with those specs, I'll definitely look into it.

I love Apple. Always have. Owned a Macintosh. Owned a mid-90s Mac. Own a bunch of iPods, including the Touch. But look at that massive list of "things the iPad CAN'T do". Really, Apple... what were you thinking?

The lack of flash is really the biggest deal breaker for me.. why have a tablet if it can't view 1/2 of the web?

JD10367 04-06-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656608)
The lack of flash is really the biggest deal breaker for me.. why have a tablet if it can't view 1/2 of the web?

I agree. I really don't like the way Apple dictates things. It's one of the reasons they almost went out of business.

And I bet the price for that fancy new tablet is equal or less than the iPad...

Silock 04-06-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Because if it's ANYTHING like the JooJoo, it doesn't actually do all of the things that it claims. The JooJoo claimed to have all this Flash support, but can't properly view video, runs very hot, and has TERRIBLE battery life. Not to mention we have no idea how much it is going to cost.

Silock 04-06-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6656608)

I haven't had a single problem viewing any of the websites I normally view. Overblown issue, IMO.

Is the iPad perfect? No way. But it's pretty damn good.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656620)
Because if it's ANYTHING like the JooJoo, it doesn't actually do all of the things that it claims. The JooJoo claimed to have all this Flash support, but can't properly view video, runs very hot, and has TERRIBLE battery life. Not to mention we have no idea how much it is going to cost.

JooJoo was crap. This is a much more solid foray into the space... PLUS it runs on the Tegra 2 which automatically wins it points in my book.

Silock 04-06-2010 05:46 PM

We'll see.

AustinChief 04-06-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656621)
I haven't had a single problem viewing any of the websites I normally view. Overblown issue, IMO.

Is the iPad perfect? No way. But it's pretty damn good.

Then you aren't a typical user... you never go to a site like Hulu? Or watch video clips on ESPN or NFL.com?

Silock 04-06-2010 05:50 PM

Hulu is making their own iPad application. And no, I'm not a big Hulu user. I torrent things I want and then upload them to my iPod/netbook to watch. I hate commercials.

And no, I don't watch video clips on ESPN or NFL.com.

Even still, within a few months, people will be moving to HTML5 anyway, and Flash support won't matter as much.

007 04-06-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

You have a link to this bad boy?

AustinChief 04-06-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6656631)
Hulu is making their own iPad application. And no, I'm not a big Hulu user. I torrent things I want and then upload them to my iPod/netbook to watch. I hate commercials.

And no, I don't watch video clips on ESPN or NFL.com.

Even still, within a few months, people will be moving to HTML5 anyway, and Flash support won't matter as much.

WOW, Jobs sold you a bill of goods... HTML5 is a LONG LONG LONG way off from any kind of "replace flash" scenario...

I'm all for HTML5 to be ready and going... but the fact is.. it is NOT EVEN CLOSE. The standard is still in working draft status and there are a TON of heated arguments left to get settled before it is usable .. hell, they can't even agree on what video standards to support. (they leave it up to each browser currently)

We are talking years for a full phase out of flash for HTML5.. you'll see spotty, quirky, buggy rollouts before then... but nothing like what Jobs is promising.

Take a look at it's current state of adoption in current browser engines... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...engines_(HTML5)

irishjayhawk 04-06-2010 06:01 PM

Oh yay! A flash debate.

Flash is dying and we'd be better off without it. It's been that way before the iPad and it is going to hurt even more with it.