ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *Fringe* the series Official thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=191156)

Miles 04-08-2010 08:58 PM

Diane Kruger turning up on tonight's episode is a nice surprise.

Miles 04-08-2010 09:25 PM

And she only lasts a few minutes.

007 04-09-2010 03:23 AM

Didn't even get a by line on the guest stars.

007 04-23-2010 03:17 AM

OK, I am betting that the guy from the other side is Walter coming to get his son.

As far as next weeks ep... WTF?

Silock 04-23-2010 04:08 AM

Yeah WTF on next week's episode.

Peter being pissed was kinda lame, though. I mean, I know they need to create tension, but I just don't believe it from that character.

BigRedChief 04-23-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6701669)
Yeah WTF on next week's episode.

Peter being pissed was kinda lame, though. I mean, I know they need to create tension, but I just don't believe it from that character.

yeah doesn't fit. He's been living on the edge of life for a while, day to day. They had better not drag it out.

arrowheadnation 04-30-2010 11:04 AM

What a horrible episode. It's like they weren't going to make their end date and rather than show a rerun, they threw that peice of crap up there.

morphius 04-30-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarowheadnation (Post 6727274)
What a horrible episode. It's like they weren't going to make their end date and rather than show a rerun, they threw that peice of crap up there.

Seems every show has to have one of these filler type of episodes, I'm never really sure I know who they are trying to appeal to.

aturnis 04-30-2010 04:32 PM

Worst episode yet. The whole thing was cheesy, and the plot failed to progress, until the final minute. It seems Walter has forgotten The Observers message, "The boy is important, he must live".

BigRedChief 05-01-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6727522)
Seems every show has to have one of these filler type of episodes, I'm never really sure I know who they are trying to appeal to.

Yeah, its like every show has to have some 40's detective themed show. Worst show ever.

Miles 05-01-2010 09:23 PM

Watched the latest episode earlier this evening and I didn't hate it as much as I expected but it was still quite brutal. ****ing singing in this show (or any) is not something I need. Please keep the worst genre of movies away from my nerd stuff.

007 05-07-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6701651)
OK, I am betting that the guy from the other side is Walter coming to get his son.

As far as next weeks ep... WTF?

Called it.

Not that it was that big of a stretch though.

BigRedChief 05-07-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6743013)
Called it.

Come on not that big of a stretch. You only get minor props. :p

keg in kc 05-07-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6743013)
Called it.

I think a better question would be was there anybody who didn't think that's who it was?

007 05-07-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6743058)
Come on not that big of a stretch. You only get minor props. :p

Dude, I said it wasn't that big of a stretch. Geez.:rolleyes:

jiveturkey 05-07-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6744148)
I think a better question would be was there anybody who didn't think that's who it was?

My wife. I used Guru's guess against her. She thinks I'm a genious. :evil:

007 05-07-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 6744216)
My wife. I used Guru's guess against her. She thinks I'm a genious. :evil:

:LOL:

007 05-07-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6744148)

I'm used to LOST where nothing is what you think it is so, as far as I'm concerned until they actually do it, nothing is set in stone.

keg in kc 05-07-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6744254)
I'm used to LOST where nothing is what you think it is so, as far as I'm concerned until they actually do it, nothing is set in stone.

I thought they did a really good job of keeping the idea of an Alternate Walter low-key until they finally showed him in the (awesome) episode where Walter kidnapped Alternate Peter. That was the point I realized the Big Bad in the other Universe was Alternate Walter.

007 05-07-2010 04:14 PM

Now we really get to see his acting range.

Fish 05-11-2010 03:03 PM

Good episode. I laughed my ass off when Walter was in the supermarket reading the ingredients labels...

Quote:

Walter, picking up box of "Toaster Pastries" and muttering to himself: "Corn starch, soy lecithin, potassium bromate… potassium bromate?!!!! This supermarket is trying to kill us! You -- potassium bromate, do you know what that is?"

Supermarket worker: "Are you OK, sir?"

Walter: "It is known to induce renal cell tumors and mesotheliomas of the peritoneum! Do you know what you are putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!"

Supermarket worker: "OK, I'm calling security."
Delicious, strawberry-flavored death! Ha. I've had the urge to do the same thing more than once while reading ingredient labels...

The Rick 05-14-2010 02:38 PM

No bump for Fringe last night?

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I'm curious to see how it ends up next week...

007 05-14-2010 02:47 PM

can't wait to see Dunham vs. Dunham.

keg in kc 05-14-2010 02:57 PM

I'm debating whether to hold off for a week to watch, since it's a Part 1.

Baby Lee 05-14-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6759198)
I'm debating whether to hold off for a week to watch, since it's a Part 1.

I'd think it'd be worth it to watch now, if just to have an extra week musing on Alt-Dunham's sexy get-up, plus sauntering around in a bra.

Fish 05-14-2010 03:11 PM

I'm longing for some Dunham on Dunham action........

arrowheadnation 05-20-2010 09:46 PM

Finale was epic!!! Cannot wait until next season. You could see that coming a mile away that Olivia 2.0 was the one that passed through with Walter and Peter. Obviously next season will focus on Peter and Walter trying to get her back from Walternate. Another thing...I don't think William 2.0 is really dead.

All of this being said, JJ Abrams is like Midas. Everything he touches turns to gold.

Silock 05-20-2010 10:43 PM

That was awesome. I can't see the Olivia thing lasting very long, though. They'd find out VERY quickly that it wasn't her.

KChiefs1 05-20-2010 10:53 PM

I'm sure Peter will kiss her & it just won't be there....he'll know it's not her but 2.0

007 05-21-2010 03:09 AM

Now that is a helicopter tour of New York City!!!

BigRedChief 05-21-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6771441)
That was awesome. I can't see the Olivia thing lasting very long, though. They'd find out VERY quickly that it wasn't her.

yep, at least I hope they won't drag it out.

Also don't see spock as being dead. He said he could use his atoms, not anything about sacrificing himself.

Also good to finally see the Olivia and Peter thing get started.

Mr. Plow 05-21-2010 05:13 PM

No doubt. Glad they didn't drag it out like xfiles did

Baby Lee 05-21-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6771441)

Will it be the niece or Olivternate refusing alcohol?

keg in kc 05-22-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6772007)
Also good to finally see the Olivia and Peter thing get started.

And they're totally set up to destroy it with not-olivia.

But that was maybe my favorite moment of the finale.

DaneMcCloud 05-27-2010 03:36 PM

I finally had a chance to watch the final three episodes this season and I have to say, I was pretty much bored to death.

As soon as Liv changed her hairstyle to match that on Alt-Liv, I knew she'd be stuck over there.

I sure hope they resolve this quickly and move on to better and less predictable storylines.

Silock 05-27-2010 03:53 PM

I agree, somewhat. While I wasn't bored, Olivia switching was predictable and stupid. They better do something seriously interesting with it, or fix it fast.

DaneMcCloud 05-27-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6784730)
I agree, somewhat. While I wasn't bored, Olivia switching was predictable and stupid. They better do something seriously interesting with it, or fix it fast.

This show is a difficult watch for me.

They'll have a run of really great, thought-provoking and interesting episodes, followed by several boring, predictable and sometimes laughable episodes.

There's not much consistency in the quality of writing, which makes it easy for me to become disenchanted and not care if they're piling up on the DVR.

The show has SO much potential that I hope they realize it before it's too late.

Silock 05-27-2010 04:10 PM

Well said.

Buck 06-29-2010 04:44 AM

Picking up this show again and I'm on like the 9th or 10th episode of season 1. Just noticed an Oceanic Airlines Ticket.

Also the show is picking up which I like.

Buck 06-30-2010 04:03 AM

Ugh. It pisses ne off that they got so much into the main storyline, then went to like 4 straight episodes that didn't concern that part of the story. Anyhow, I have 3 episodes left in season 1 so it should get back to that storyline soon.

DaneMcCloud 06-30-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6850915)
Ugh. It pisses ne off that they got so much into the main storyline, then went to like 4 straight episodes that didn't concern that part of the story. Anyhow, I have 3 episodes left in season 1 so it should get back to that storyline soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6784740)
This show is a difficult watch for me.

They'll have a run of really great, thought-provoking and interesting episodes, followed by several boring, predictable and sometimes laughable episodes.

There's not much consistency in the quality of writing, which makes it easy for me to become disenchanted and not care if they're piling up on the DVR.

The show has SO much potential that I hope they realize it before it's too late.

Buck 06-30-2010 10:33 AM

Is it the same in season 2?

DaneMcCloud 06-30-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6851319)

IMO, yes.

I think they need to either hire more writers or compress the series to 16 episodes to tighten it up.

There's not enough going on for it to be entertaining and engaging for 24 weeks, at least not to date.

Mr. Arrowhead 06-30-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6851319)

IMO i liked Season 2 100 X better than season 1

DaneMcCloud 06-30-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 6851477)
IMO i liked Season 2 100 X better than season 1

Season Two is "better" because the characters (and all of their quirks) were established in Season One, which allows the writers to "play with" the characters in their respective story lines (i.e. Walter, Walter's relationship with Peter, etc.).

But Season Two has terrible stretches of episodes unrelated to the main mythology and many of those episodes are completely unnecessary that, IMO, border on unwatchable.

aturnis 06-30-2010 03:30 PM

Like the "Noir" episode. That episode was terrible. Progressed the storyline ZERO and was a waste of time and of an episode.

Buck 07-06-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6851517)
Season Two is "better" because the characters (and all of their quirks) were established in Season One, which allows the writers to "play with" the characters in their respective story lines (i.e. Walter, Walter's relationship with Peter, etc.).

But Season Two has terrible stretches of episodes unrelated to the main mythology and many of those episodes are completely unnecessary that, IMO, border on unwatchable.

Just finished season 2 and all I can say is WOW! That was good.

Having watched season 1 and 2 back to back I have to disagree with you on one thing. Season 1's filler episodes were much worse. One of the best episodes in season 2 was a filler IMO. It was called White Tulip and it had to do with that guy time travelling back to see his fiancée. Also, I felt that every single season 2 filler > than every single season 1 filler.

Anyhow I think that this show is great. Can't wait for season 3.

007 07-06-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6863554)

Having watched season 1 and 2 back to back I have to disagree with you on one thing. Season 1's filler episodes were much worse. One of the best episodes in season 2 was a filler IMO. It was called White Tulip and it had to do with that guy time travelling back to see his fiancée. Also, I felt that every single season 2 filler > than every single season 1 filler.

Except for Noir. That one annoyed the crap out of me. Complete waste of an episode.

Buck 07-06-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6863561)
Except for Noir. That one annoyed the crap out of me. Complete waste of an episode.

Oh right, I failed to mention two.

One was called "Brown Betty" (which I'm assuming you are referring to as Noir). That one wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. It was dumb of them to put it in near the end of the season.

The other one was called "Unearthed", which I didn't watch because it is a Season 1 bonus episode and skipping it didn't effect the storyline what so ever.

007 07-06-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6863563)
Oh right, I failed to mention two.

One was called "Brown Betty" (which I'm assuming you are referring to as Noir). That one wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. It was dumb of them to put it in near the end of the season.

The other one was called "Unearthed", which I didn't watch because it is a Season 1 bonus episode and skipping it didn't effect the storyline what so ever.

Yeah, it was Brown Betty. Might as well have called it Brown Crap.

Buck 07-07-2010 12:39 AM

Another thing I loved was when they did the "Peter" episode, how they had the 80's theme in the beginning and in the last 2 episodes of the season, the Theme was Red instead of Blue.

Mr. Arrowhead 07-07-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6863554)

Told ya season 2 was better

Adept Havelock 07-07-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6863589)
Another thing I loved was when they did the "Peter" episode, how they had the 80's theme in the beginning and in the last 2 episodes of the season, the Theme was Red instead of Blue.

That was a great touch. They also changed one of the phrases that shows up from "Parallel Universes" to "First People".

First People? Methinks they created the "very old tech" Walternate has Peter examining.

Buck 07-07-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 6865232)
That was a great touch. They also changed one of the phrases that shows up from "Parallel Universes" to "First People".

First People? Methinks they created the "very old tech" Walternate has Peter examining.

I didn't notice that, cool.

It does seem the alternate universe is more advanced. In the 80s they had current day cell phones.

What I'm wondering is that they said that all of the people quarantined in the Madison Square Garden are legally declared dead, does that mean they are really alive?

The quarantine looks like a big amber crystal that you cant get out of (the on at Harvard).

Also it seemed like if they would have quarantined the Opera House, they would have died (Olivia, Charlie...) so does that mean every quarantine, someone had to sacrifice themselves?

I wonder what kind of format they will have next season.

keg in kc 09-16-2010 12:27 AM

Some scoops on the upcoming season:
Spoiler!

Buck 09-16-2010 12:49 AM

How spoilery is that keg?

keg in kc 09-16-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinSmurf (Post 7009415)
How spoilery is that keg?

Nothing I wouldn't have guessed on my own after watching the finale last year.

BigRedChief 09-17-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7009438)
Nothing I wouldn't have guessed on my own after watching the finale last year.

yeah you can see that coming a mile away.

Buck 09-24-2010 02:15 AM

Premiere was awesome. Red Universe convinced Blue Olivia that she is Red Olivia, which is almost what I thought would happen (Stockholm Syndrome). I heard that the show is going to alternate from Red/Blue/Red/Blue every week, so next week we'll get the Blue Universe.

That sort of sucks though because there is no Josh Jackson in the Red Universe and he's the coolest guy on the show.

Buck 09-24-2010 02:17 AM

Oh, and I watched the last 2 episodes of Season 2 right before I watched the premiere of season 3, and I noticed this map.

http://scifiwire.com/pics/Fringe_Over_There_Map.jpg

It appears that most of California must have fallen off into the ocean.

It also appears that Oklahoma and Kansas morphed into a single state.

Buck 09-24-2010 02:23 AM

I just did a little research and here is a hi-res map

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YPCf8JFgUd...ternateMap.jpg

Apparently the flag from the Red Universe only has 48 stars, but there are only 47 states here.

007 09-24-2010 02:32 AM

And Kansahoma is called Midland. Or at least that is what it looks like.

007 09-24-2010 02:33 AM

• Washington is called Southern British Colombia
  • California is missing half of the state (perhaps because of the "big one")
  • Nevada is called Independent Nevada
  • Texas is divided into North and South Texas (+1)
  • North and South Dakota are combined into one Dakota (-1)
  • Kansas and Oklahoma are combined into one Midland (-1)
  • Louisiana is called Louisiana Territory
  • Michigan is missing its upper half
  • North and South Carolina are combined into one Carolina (-1)
  • Virginia and West Virginia are combined into one District of Virginia (-1)
Based on the pluses and minuses, that would give us 47 states, assuming we count Hawaii and Alaska.

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2010...from-over.html

Buck 09-24-2010 03:22 AM

One thing that bugged me about this episode was that Walternate seems so desperate to get to the Blue Universe, and he doesn't know how to do so.

What about all those shape shifters they sent over and even him going over to find Peter?

007 09-24-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinSmurf (Post 7032461)
One thing that bugged me about this episode was that Walternate seems so desperate to get to the Blue Universe, and he doesn't know how to do so.

What about all those shape shifters they sent over and even him going over to find Peter?

The only thing I could make of that is that it must be quite a strain on the human system and they need people that have the right genetic code to do it. That bugged me too.

Mr. Plow 09-24-2010 07:31 AM

Overall, I thought it was a good episode. I don't know what it was, but something bugged me about it though.

irishjayhawk 09-29-2010 07:24 PM

I know I've asked this before, but if I was to go start the show again (I originally watched 8 episodes live before losing track of it.) where should I start?

Buck 09-29-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7049675)
I know I've asked this before, but if I was to go start the show again (I originally watched 8 episodes live before losing track of it.) where should I start?

The AVclub wrote about this actually. Everything past this sentence is from what they said.

Addendum for new viewers:

With Lost over and the new slate of fall shows leaning more episodic than serialized (with the exception of The Event, which is its own kind of crazy), I’ve been hearing from people curious about whether they should start watching Fringe. Some used to watch and then bailed; some have never seen a minute. But a lot of folks have heard that Fringe took a turn from the hit-and-miss to the pretty consistently awesome toward the end of its second season, and they want to know whether it’s worth watching all 40-plus existing episodes in order to hop on the bandwagon. Luckily for them, the very thing that makes Fringe problematic for some—the sometimes awkward blend of overarching mythology and MOTWs—also makes it easy to catch up. If you want to start watching Fringe, I’d suggest watching these 20 episodes, in this order. From Season One: “The Arrival,” “In Which We Meet Mr. Jones,” “The Equation,” “Safe,” “Bound,” “Ability,” “Bad Dreams,” “The Road Not Taken” and “There’s More Than One Of Everything.” From Season Two: “A New Day In The Old Town,” “Momentum Deferred,” “August,” “Snakehead,” “Grey Matters,” “Jacksonville,” “Peter,” “Olivia. In The Lab. With The Revolver,” “White Tulip,” “The Man From The Other Side” and “Over There.” Some of the mythology might be a little confusing at first, but it’s not that hard to pick up. And with a few exceptions (like “White Tulip,” included because of its overall excellence), these episodes aren’t Fringe stand-alones. They do advance the story, and will prepare you for the start of Season Three.

Or if you don’t have time for all that, just watch “Ability,” “The Road Not Taken,” “There’s More Than One Of Everything,” “Peter,” “The Man From The Other Side” and “Over There.” That should get you up and running.

Or just start here, with “Olivia.” You can piece together the backstory later.

Buck 09-29-2010 08:00 PM

By the way, Andre Royo is guest starring this season, and in the last episode he was ****ing brilliant. I wouldn't expect anything less from him.

Buck 09-30-2010 01:44 PM

Wooo! Tonight!

keg in kc 09-30-2010 01:47 PM

Bubbles!

I finally got around to watching it while the computer was doing stuff at work this morning. Strong start to the season.

Mr. Plow 10-01-2010 08:55 AM

Man....that guys head exploding was funny as shit.

keg in kc 10-01-2010 04:06 PM

Bacon pudding.

(This season is great so far)

Buck 10-01-2010 06:19 PM

I liked episode 1 a lot more than episode 2, but it was still good.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2010 06:53 PM

I think Peter knows there's something different about Liv. If he doesn't, then it's just bad writing because she's clearly not the same person and to not notice would be ridiculous.

And I guess Nimoy was totally serious when he said stated that his acting days were over. That was a nice gift his character left for Walter...

keg in kc 10-01-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7054525)
I think Peter knows there's something different about Liv. If he doesn't, then it's just bad writing because she's clearly not the same person and to not notice would be ridiculous.

I've been wondering that myself. How all of them could not know. Maybe they're chalking it to the stress of the situation, I don't know, or maybe they're all playing her. Although how you could do that with insane Walter I don't know.

aturnis 10-01-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7054528)
I've been wondering that myself. How all of them could not know. Maybe they're chalking it to the stress of the situation, I don't know, or maybe they're all playing her. Although how you could do that with insane Walter I don't know.

I thought they covered it when she said something about seeing another Olivia Durham opened her eyes to the way she would/should live her life. Sees the world differently now.

Buck 10-02-2010 12:02 AM

If you go to the link in the OP it shows a preview of the next episode. It looks like this one is in the alternate universe, so the switching back and forth seems to be true.

BigRedChief 10-02-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7054525)

Yeah, I'm glad they are not dragging this out for a whole season. Thats what killed Heores, bad guys are now good guys, good guys are now bad guys. What an overused plot twist that never works.

keg in kc 10-02-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7055028)
Yeah, I'm glad they are not dragging this out for a whole season. Thats what killed Heores, bad guys are now good guys, good guys are now bad guys. What an overused plot twist that never works.

What killed Heroes was that the second season sucked, right from the get-go. That show was done a long time before the roles switched. It just wasn't any good.

And that's probably oversimplifying what they're doing on Fringe. With the possible exception of Walternate, there aren't any bad guys. They're all good guys who happen to be playing on opposing teams. It could introduce some really interesting twists later on, if the alternate universe people begin working together instead of in opposition.

Either way, I'd say it's maybe the best network show I'm watching right now. I'm glad it made it out of the gates on Fox, I thought for sure it was doomed during its rookie season.