ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Let's talk blood sugar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316706)

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-10-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13669193)
In an acute care setting, clinicians worry more about highs than lows, unless you are in DKA. You're right.

Should be low. Friday brain melt. Lows are well more concerning inpatient.

TLO 08-10-2018 02:48 PM

Had a large dinner at like 10pm last night. Had some pop tarts and a granola bar for breakfast. Sugar rose to like 165 about an hour after eating -highest I've ever seen it.

Ate a small 250 calorie TV dinner, a pretzle, and a granola bar this afternoon. I've been running around 100 - 110 all day. Feels a lot more comfortable than that 70 shit yesterday.

Probably won't eat again until 8 or 8:30. Hoping to see it around 80-90 at that time.

booger 08-10-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13668861)
And for those who skip meals....that puzzles me because it seems all the things I read on the Mayo Clinic website say that is not healthy for diabetics.

I actually eat less at each meal but eat healthy more times during the day.

Biggest change for me was eating more often like this instead of eating twice a day like I was used to. Now when I need to fast for 12 hrs for a complete blood test it’s lots harder than it used to be

Hammock Parties 08-10-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13669415)
Had some pop tarts and a granola bar for breakfast.

This is not a healthy breakfast.

Mosbonian 08-10-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booger (Post 13669776)
Biggest change for me was eating more often like this instead of eating twice a day like I was used to. Now when I need to fast for 12 hrs for a complete blood test it’s lots harder than it used to be

Yeah....you pretty much have to not eat after 7 or 8 PM and plan your visit to Quest Diagnostics at 8 AM in the morning....once they draw blood head to Panera's or Cracker Barrel to eat breakfast.

TLO 03-02-2019 10:25 PM

Had my A1c tested, it was in the normal range.

However earlier this evening I had an episode of low blood sugar. We attended a pancake dinner for our church, and ate around 6:30pm. By 9:00pm or so, my blood sugar had hit 52 (at least according to my meter) Had the cold sweats, shaking, nausea. Drank some fruit juice and then had a peanut butter sandwich - felt better in about 15 minutes.

Still scares me when it drops like that.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-02-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 14132065)

However earlier this evening I had an episode of low blood sugar. We attended a pancake dinner for our church, and ate around 6:30pm. By 9:00pm or so, my blood sugar had hit 52 (at least according to my meter) Had the cold sweats, shaking, nausea. Drank some fruit juice and then had a peanut butter sandwich - felt better in about 15 minutes.

What is your med regimen?

Mosbonian 03-03-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

How many times has this happened lately? Do you keep a tube of Glucose tablets handy in case you have one of these episodes?

My Dr recommended glucose tablets for when I have low blood sugar. He said they work better than drinking OJ or eating something sweet to raise blood sugar.

tmax63 03-03-2019 08:53 AM

Mrs. Tmax was diagnosed last November. The official cutoff for her provider was a 6.5 A1c and she hit it dead on the money. 3 months on a keto-like lo-carb diet (max 30 grams carb per meal or snack) and she's back down to 5.7. Cutting out the carbs let her lose 10 pounds also. She's relaxed a little on her diet, nothing big but allowing a rare splurge of a few bites on a few things she completely misses, and we'll see how she maintains. Provider said eventually she may have to go on meds but it should be years as long as she "behaves".

TLO 03-03-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 14132254)
How many times has this happened lately? Do you keep a tube of Glucose tablets handy in case you have one of these episodes?

My Dr recommended glucose tablets for when I have low blood sugar. He said they work better than drinking OJ or eating something sweet to raise blood sugar.

It rarely happens. The last time I had an experience where it really dropped low was probably 6 months ago

Randallflagg 03-03-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

5 years ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Wasn't really surprising as both my Mother and my Grandfather (Mother's side) had it also. According to my Doc - it was fairly "inevitable".

I'm 6'1" and "usually" top out at around 220. I am on Victoza and 1,000 MG of Metformin ER twice daily - and everything seems to be in control. My testing (2X daily) has me at around 105-115 on a routine basis and my A1C hits at about 5.9-6.0

Here's the thing..about a year ago I began losing weight. No diet, no exercise, nothing. Just would wake up every day and had lost more weight. Doctors ran every test imaginable - I was perfectly fine. Went from 230 to 189 over a 4 month period.

To this day, no one knows why. No cancer, no thyroid problems - perfectly healthy (well, for a 72 year old man ;) )

I have began to slowly gain the weight back...right now at 206 and counting. Weird stuff....