ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft NFL Excuses Run Out After Ratings Declines Continue (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311288)

DaneMcCloud 11-03-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13194800)
Cord cutters don't show up in the ratings system

False.

Local OTA viewership is part of the Nielsen ratings system.

Streaming is not.

Nzoner 11-03-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13194684)
I’ve been saying this for months.

Regardless of whether or not the ratings are down (streaming isn’t included in the Nielsen ratings), there is no other program that can consistently garner 20 million+ viewers per episode like NFL games.

I just started the Nielsen diary yesterday for the next week.Sunday's logging should be interesting with 5-6 guys in the gameroom and football on 7 tv's for the whole day.

Seriously though if it weren't for fantasy football and the excitement of gambling my viewership would be way down.

3rd&Long 11-03-2017 10:44 AM

Media advertising is forever in a state of flux. Just as the internet is choking out newspapers, yellow pages and direct mail, streaming platforms are taking a bite out of terrestrial and satellite TV viewership. It's getting tougher to reach a precise demo target due to all the fragmentation. The market will correct itself for a time until the next revolutionary choice is introduced that might super serve a key demographic group.

This is the normal evolution of the industry and what it means is that the over the air and network operators and going to have to readjust their income projections downward which will trickle down to the NFL franchises until new ways are created to bilk the public.

bigjosh 11-03-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13195038)
False.

Local OTA viewership is part of the Nielsen ratings system.

Streaming is not.

Yep, Antenna is recorded.

Even streaming is recorded now dane. they hook up fire tv, roku, and other media streaming devices to their setup. I am not sure how the data is used, or if it is included in the overall ratings though.

TinyEvel 11-03-2017 10:54 AM

Do you know anyone, ANYONE, who has said “I’m not going to watch NFL games any more because of the player protests.”
It’s purely due to viewing habits/online.

bigjosh 11-03-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13195070)
Do you know anyone, ANYONE, who has said “I’m not going to watch NFL games any more because of the player protests.”

I do know a few people who have said that. They are not really fans of football though, and more likely just watch some of the patriots primetime games/playoff games because that is what a typical patriots "fan" does.

ChiefsCountry 11-03-2017 11:13 AM

Not a popular opinion on this board but Chiefs being on so many national tv games aren't good for ratings either. Small tv market hurts even when the local market ratings are good.

Bowser 11-03-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Oh I've heard guys say it, but every Sunday - there they are, glued to the TV.

O.city 11-03-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13195113)
Not a popular opinion on this board but Chiefs being on so many national tv games aren't good for ratings either. Small tv market hurts even when the local market ratings are good.

Maybe

But they have played bigger name draws in the prime time games.

Simply Red 11-03-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13194546)
Welp, at least Papa John is screaming butthurt.

Always look for the positives.

It was truly Totino's that has hurt Papa John's.

ChiefGator 11-03-2017 11:28 AM

Yeah, they are also pulling teams out from cities and moving them now... I'm sure viewership has been greatly reduced by Charger and Ram fans, and certainly some Raider fans.

DaneMcCloud 11-03-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I looked into Spectrum TV because I was so aggravated at the officiating of the Raiders game and that a good friend here in SoCal, that's also a Chiefs fan, made the switch.

He cut off his Direct TV service and switched to Spectrum after the Chiefs loss to Oakland and he was heading into first weekend without the Sunday Ticket in more than 17 years.

Cut it on October 20th. Done. Nada.

Fast forward one week and I receive a text from him that says "Dude, I couldn't take it. Even ONE Sunday without Sunday Ticket was brutal. I called and got for free, along with a bunch of other discounts".

Chiefnj2 11-03-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 13195150)
Yeah, they are also pulling teams out from cities and moving them now... I'm sure viewership has been greatly reduced by Charger and Ram fans, and certainly some Raider fans.

3 biggest markets:
1. NY - Giants are abysmal and everyone wrote off the Jets before the season started.
2. SF/Oakland - One horrible team, one team moving.
3. Chicago - poor team.

notorious 11-03-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 13195043)
I just started the Nielsen diary yesterday for the next week.Sunday's logging should be interesting with 5-6 guys in the gameroom and football on 7 tv's for the whole day.

Seriously though if it weren't for fantasy football and the excitement of gambling my viewership would be way down.

Yes.

The core game itself leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if it's because I've changed or the game.

Fish 11-03-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Yeah. More than a few. I've even got a friend on Facebook that was leaving comments anytime someone posted about watching NFL games trying to shame them into not watching. Which went over well...