ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink ****Official Biscuits and Gravy Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284179)

Baby Lee 06-07-2014 08:24 AM

Hardees makes biscuits from scratch, with LARD. We had a grandmotherly lady who came in an hour early every day to mix them up by hand and start the first batches. I've followed her process and it was the same as my grandma's, whose biscuits would have people coming from miles around just to stop off for fresh biscuits and Johnny's blackstrop.

Gravy is powdered mix with fresh sausage off the grill.

As good a single offering as you can get in fast food breakfast.

Coogs 06-07-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 10676022)
In all seriousness when I make it myself I just feel out the right amounts.

This!

Fire Me Boy! 06-07-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 10676039)
This!

That's how you make gravy.

Coogs 06-07-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10676025)
What's the consensus of thick, then, or medium gravy? Personally, I like it really thick. Like you can cut it and it still hold some semblance of its shape.

Yep!

Coogs 06-07-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10676031)
Of all the things out there, powdered gravy is WAAAY low on my list of gripes. The only gripe really is that you're not mixing your own spices, and you're thickening with corn starch. You'd be surprised how many really good gravies you've eaten in restaurants that are powder mixes. Boil water, add mix, stir. Perfect consistency. Add sausage. Impossible to tell from scratch after mulling for a 1/2 hour or so.

To be honest, I have never had restaraunt gravy that can hold a candle to homemade gravy.

R8RFAN 06-07-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10675912)
Biscuits and gravy are an art form. Not sure a recipe will help.

Absolutely :thumb: Perfect gravy is an art Perfect biscuits are even harder to master

Predarat 06-07-2014 08:49 AM

The best homemade I have ever had is from my mom of course, the best at a restaurant was at the Sheppard Of The Hills restaurant in Branson. Not sure if that place is still around, and if it is if it is still good. Have not been there in over 10 years. For making my own, I do not have a recipe, but for the biscuits I take the easy route and buy frozen or pre made biscuits and simply heat them in the oven. For the gravy I take a pound of sausage, cook it, remove some of the grease if needed, then lightly coat the cooked sausage with flour, pour milk or cream into it while still on the skillet with the warm setting. Then add pepper and other spices, and keep pouring milk or thicken it with flour until it is the desired consistency. It takes a few times but once you get used to it you can get the hang of it. Thick gravy, thin gravy, you can make it the way you and the people eating it want it.

kstater 06-07-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10675912)
Biscuits and gravy are an art form. Not sure a recipe will help.

Yup.

Been making B&G from scratch every Sunday for 10+ years now.

Biscuits:

2 c flour
stick of butter
1tbs baking powder
tsp salt
tsp sugar
3/4 c milk added after butter is turned in to flour.

Gravy is hunk of sausage, milk flour salt and pepper. All done by feel.

R8RFAN 06-07-2014 09:14 AM

Biscuits
Buttermilk
Flour
Shortening

Gravy
Flour
Milk
Couple tablespoons of sausage drippings..

Ted Theodore Logan 06-07-2014 09:14 AM

Neighbor's Cafe in Lees Summit have the most excellent biscuits and gravy!

TLO 06-07-2014 09:18 AM

Over under set at 850 posts.

srvy 06-07-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 10675950)
Top biscuit ftw! The best b&g are found in the oddest places like run down gas stations. You have to go sausage gravy tho. A local fast food joint called brains sells some killer frozen gravy.

So true there is a gas station with a grill on 9 highway in Riverside, Mo. They serve a mean ass B&G in take home Styrofoam.

GloryDayz 06-07-2014 09:32 AM

Here's a quickie brief. Granted, the doode uses canned biscuits, but this will give you an idea of how to make the gravy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Se7BXDJdUag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And if you want to make biscuits, watch this...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5c9hxjGJyjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz 06-07-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Theodore Logan (Post 10676078)
Neighbor's Cafe in Lees Summit have the most excellent biscuits and gravy!

Yes, very good option for Lee's Summiters...

Simply Red 06-07-2014 09:46 AM

if you're making sausage gravy.

It's absolutely critical to scramble + pan fry the breakfast sausage, I'd elect the 'hot' jimmy dean. Anyhow - It's critical to cook until sausage is crispy pellets.

... and here's why...

Once you develop you roux from the sausage grease, adding the wet product will soften up the sausage just the right amount. See this will eliminate the elasticity of the pork and make it a texture anyone in their right mind would want in a gravy.

Also when you add the flour to the sausage and grease pit of the skillet - try to brown the flour - but only SLIGHTLY - also to finish your gravy add three Tablespoons of evaporated milk, more crushed red pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. This step really 'pulls the gravy together'

If you want to get cute; as you render the sausage, add a teaspoon of bacon grease.

These are all very solid techniques to a good 'country' style down home sausage gravy - AKA 'Sawmill gravy'