ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: Fire Sutton (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313031)

Coach 01-07-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13343531)
The 03 defense didn't fall apart till the 2nd half of the season

Correct, when Mike Mal-slow-ski went down, the whole defense went down.

But even that, there were warning signs that they were going to collapse at the time.

Same thing happened this year in terms of giving up yardage.

Basically put, whoever advocates a bend-but-don't break defense, well.... it won't end well.

oldman 01-07-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13343484)
Safeties were terrible.

Don't make your SS an ILB.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-07-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13343480)
2017 Chiefs Defense Totals
Passing Yards Allowed - 3,952
Rushing Yards Allowed - 1,890
Total Yards Allowed - 5,842

2003 Chiefs Defense Totals
Passing Yards Allowed - 3,363
Rushing Yards Allowed - 2,344
Total Yards Allowed - 5,707

And I want to say that 2017 defense, in my opinion, is far more superior in terms of talent on the defensive side than 2003 was.

Whoa.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-07-2018 05:31 PM

Werthers turned into Spinner 2.0

TEX 01-07-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsLockKey (Post 13343453)
Sutton overall isn't horrible and does a decent enough job preparing but the guy struggles at making adjustments which is why he needs to go. Too many times he's been out coached in the second half of games. I don't blame Peters for blowing up on him earlier in the year. He knows it too.

No. He's horrible. When he does make adjustments, the opposing offense knows them. It was pretty dumb to try and use Sorenson the same way as Berry, but he stuck with it. :shake:

Deberg_1990 01-07-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13343553)
Correct, when Mike Mal-slow-ski went down, the whole defense went down.

But even that, there were warning signs that they were going to collapse at the time.

Same thing happened this year in terms of giving up yardage.

Basically put, whoever advocates a bend-but-don't break defense, well.... it won't end well.

Both the 2003 team and Sutton’s defenses stand back and rely on the timely turnover. Turnovers are great but you can’t rely on them all the time. At some point you have to line up, smack the other team in the mouth and make them punt.

Sutton’s Ds are soft. Very soft

Coach 01-07-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13343669)
Both the 2003 team and Sutton’s defenses stand back and rely on the timely turnover. Turnovers are great but you can’t rely on them all the time. At some point you have to line up, smack the other team in the mouth and make them punt.

Sutton’s Ds are soft. Very soft

The difference was, 2003 couldn't force a turnover in the playoffs. This defense did (MP22 pick). That's where I was coming from in terms of talent.

Sutton's schemes and personality is just a wrong fit for KC. Way too much dime defense to my liking.

You know, what's funny is, dime defense purpose is to use a defensive alignment that uses six defensive backs. It is usually employed in obvious passing situations.

Yet, they gave up all those passing yards, 29th in the NFL. What good is a dime defense if you're giving up all those yards? It can be talent, scheme, and/or coaching.

It was the combination of all the above.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-07-2018 06:00 PM

Watch Henry's TD run and say he has a ****ing clue...

PAChiefsGuy 01-07-2018 06:00 PM

I've been saying all year how bad this defense is. It's bad in almost all phases.

I don't think Sutton is a bad DC but I don't think he is good either. I still think the problem is mostly personnel. I'd give him one more year but if the D doesn't drastically improve next season it is time for him to go.

Molitoth 01-07-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 13343692)
I've been saying all year how bad this defense is. It's bad in almost all phases.

I don't think Sutton is a bad DC but I don't think he is good either. I still think the problem is mostly personnel. I'd give him one more year but if the D doesn't drastically improve next season it is time for him to go.

1 more year!!! Says every true fan with excuses.

Sutton has been here 2 seasons too long.

Ming the Merciless 01-07-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

I still think the problem is mostly personnel. I'd give him one more year but if the D doesn't drastically improve next season it is time for him to go.

I would concur here...next year should be the hotseat year for the guy

Ming the Merciless 01-07-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 13343728)
1 more year!!! Says every true fan with excuses.

Sutton has been here 2 seasons too long.

meh theres no hurry...we're probably not going to legitimately contend for a ring next year so PA has a reasonable point....

Molitoth 01-07-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 13343735)
meh theres no hurry...we're probably not going to legitimately contend for a ring next year so PA has a reasonable point....

Take away the turnovers (by the players) and tell me how awesome and unpredictable Sutton is.

Tell me how you misutilize one of the best pass rushers in football.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-07-2018 06:17 PM

We're the only defense in the league not letting our star CB follow #1 WRs, dropping our best pass rusher into coverage half of the time, and blitzing maybe 3 times per game.

He's gotta go.

Deberg_1990 01-07-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

1 more year? He’s had 5 And 2 epic playoff collapses. How much more do you need to see?