ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2017-2018 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306817)

DJ's left nut 11-21-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 13231378)
So... guess the chances of his coming back are less than zero, right?

I wouldn't.

If he leaves now, he's almost certainly a top 10 pick still. Maybe even top 5 depending on who shows out this year.

If he sticks around for another year and aggravates the injury, he could fall out of the first round altogether.

If he goes in the top 10, he has a guaranteed $7 million payday. Meanwhile if he works it all the way up to 5, he gets around $10. Top 3 starts to get bigger chunks at $12-16 million but if I got a top 10 grade, I'm not sure I'd risk $7 million to get $12. Especially when that contract is mostly the earnings floor for him. If he goes 10 and has a successful 4 year stretch, he'd be looking at a potential $100 million deal; tens of millions at the very least.

The stay/go decision is going to be based on the floor, IMO. And his floor is still 'not have to work again for the rest of his life' money.

I'd go.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-21-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13231376)
I mean ****, man. When you put it that way....

But seriously, have any of us doubted that being a sports fan is a shitty investment? I've tried to quit by sports are ****ing opioids. I've walked away from the Cardinals, Blues, Chiefs and Tigers over the last 8 years or so and none of them ever stuck. It came close with the Blues but then they rebuilt and rebuilds are always fun to follow - THE PROMISE OF YOUTH AND A BRIGHT FUTURE!!! (of course, that rebuild ended up with the most frustrating bunch of mopey bitches to date; **** off, Oshie).

I've only ever managed to completely divest of a single rooting interest and that was Dale Earnhardt Jr. after he went to Hendrick. And that only stuck because 3 years later I didn't watch racing at all; simply didn't care anymore. Yet somehow when I was scrolling through twitter and saw that Martin Truex Jrs former teammate at DEI won the championship, I was oddly happy for him. Team loyalty still existed even in a 'sport' I couldn't give a large rat's ass about anymore.

No, I'm ****ed. But best of luck to you...

On the fringe sports spectrum, I'm also a huge Mickelson fan, which is its own special kind of Hell.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-21-2017 02:50 PM

If it was your kid, would you want him to risk all that security?

sedated 11-21-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 13231378)
So... guess the chances of his coming back are less than zero, right?

For a recent, very similar comparison, look to Joel Embiid. It would have been a colossal mistake to stay - after the back injury it was foot surgery, and no one would have touched him with any serious thoughts he would have a long career.

Ebolapox 11-21-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13231402)
If it was your kid, would you want him to risk all that security?

Oh hell no, my kid would be gone.

Molitoth 11-21-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13231390)
I wouldn't.

If he leaves now, he's almost certainly a top 10 pick still. Maybe even top 5 depending on who shows out this year.

If he sticks around for another year and aggravates the injury, he could fall out of the first round altogether.

If he goes in the top 10, he has a guaranteed $7 million payday. Meanwhile if he works it all the way up to 5, he gets around $10. Top 3 starts to get bigger chunks at $12-16 million but if I got a top 10 grade, I'm not sure I'd risk $7 million to get $12. Especially when that contract is mostly the earnings floor for him. If he goes 10 and has a successful 4 year stretch, he'd be looking at a potential $100 million deal; tens of millions at the very least.

The stay/go decision is going to be based on the floor, IMO. And his floor is still 'not have to work again for the rest of his life' money.

I'd go.

Exactly. It's over. Just terrible news.

WhawhaWhat 11-21-2017 03:07 PM

Sure-Oz 11-21-2017 03:16 PM

This is bullshit. I assume this doesn't effect his nba draft stock much? I assume zero chance he comes back.

Best22 11-21-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13231376)
I mean ****, man. When you put it that way....

But seriously, have any of us doubted that being a sports fan is a shitty investment? I've tried to quit by sports are ****ing opioids. I've walked away from the Cardinals, Blues, Chiefs and Tigers over the last 8 years or so and none of them ever stuck. It came close with the Blues but then they rebuilt and rebuilds are always fun to follow - THE PROMISE OF YOUTH AND A BRIGHT FUTURE!!! (of course, that rebuild ended up with the most frustrating bunch of mopey bitches to date; **** off, Oshie).

I've only ever managed to completely divest of a single rooting interest and that was Dale Earnhardt Jr. after he went to Hendrick. And that only stuck because 3 years later I didn't watch racing at all; simply didn't care anymore. Yet somehow when I was scrolling through twitter and saw that Martin Truex Jrs former teammate at DEI won the championship, I was oddly happy for him. Team loyalty still existed even in a 'sport' I couldn't give a large rat's ass about anymore.

No, I'm ****ed. But best of luck to you...

It pays off for Pats fans

If our football team wasn't bowling I may have just quit

Who would have thought? Barry Odom saving my fandom

Spott 11-21-2017 03:26 PM

Probably not that big of a deal. If he was really that good, he wouldn’t have gone to Mizzou.

DMAC 11-21-2017 03:46 PM

Hey at least he got some recruits for Mizzou.

ChiefsCountry 11-21-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 13231488)
Probably not that big of a deal. If he was really that good, he wouldn’t have gone to Mizzou.

:rolleyes: Dumb ass right here.

Titty Meat 11-21-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13231358)
Overall, I'm thinking this should be a good time for me to tap out of caring about sports.

It's a huge investment of time and emotional energy for a constant supply of anxiety, disappointment, and misery.

I said it when the Cardinals won the 2011 World Series, but I was too stupid to follow my own advice. It would never get better than that.

Since then, by rooting interests have been nothing but an unending series of disasters and tragedies. Deaths, injuries, murders, choke jobs, and collapses.

The Cardinals lost their best position prospect in 15 years to a ****ing drunk driving accident, blew a 3-1 lead in the NLCS to a shit team, lost to a Red Sox team (again) that sandwiched that title around last place finishes, and got totally surpassed by the ****ing Cubs. Meanwhile, every team since 2013 has gotten progressively worse.

Mizzou basketball cobbled together one inspired season from a group of jilted seniors, only to suffer the most embarrassing loss in the history of the program to the worst team that has ever won an NCAA tournament game, which they then followed up with a scandal only to then hire the worst coach arguably in Power 5 history. And when they finally do turn it around (it appears) the best player they've ever had, they best player they'll EVER have, a hometown kid with stellar character, blows out his back after two minutes.

And Mizzou football is perhaps the one to be most optimistic about, when the ceiling for the next half decade is probably second best team in a bad division.

But hey, maybe Drew Lock will stay around for his senior year and get drafted by the Browns so that they can ruin him. Or maybe he and Beckner will both declare and a ****ing asteroid will hit the training facility during their pro days so that they can be robbed of success at the next level, too.

Noticed you didn't mention the Chiefs hmm

Prison Bitch 11-21-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13231400)
On the fringe sports spectrum, I'm also a huge Mickelson fan, which is its own special kind of Hell.

What? 5 majors, 40+ wins, record number of Ryder teams, HOF. That isn't hell

Pitt Gorilla 11-21-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 13231550)
Hey at least he got some recruits for Mizzou.

he did. Jontay and Tilmon don’t happen without him. Hell, Harris doesn’t happen without him. He’s already paid dividends.