ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ****Official 2014 STL Cardinals thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278302)

BigRedChief 04-20-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10574953)
Carpenter is pretty awful at third

3 errors in the last 4 games. Supposed to be his "natural" position. Doesn't look so "natural" over there so far.

George Liquor 04-21-2014 06:36 PM

God damn it Holliday, you bum.

Marcellus 04-21-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10575031)
3 errors in the last 4 games. Supposed to be his "natural" position. Doesn't look so "natural" over there so far.

Just blew a tag on a stolen base when the ball beat the runner by a mile.

Sloppy shitty baseball and a complete lack of hitting with RISP.

Frustrating.

George Liquor 04-21-2014 08:28 PM

I don't understand why this team cannot hit?

Am I just stupid?

Outside of Borjous and Wong this looked like a salty lineup at the beginning of the season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10577189)
I don't understand why this team cannot hit?

Am I just stupid?

Outside of Borjous and Wong this looked like a salty lineup at the beginning of the season.

In fairness it's been 20 games. Still, I'm not a big fan of them turning into nothing but slap hitters.

If you want to get the Cardinals out just pitch inside. No one is willing/able to turn on a pitch, and when they get jammed trying to inside out it, a bunch of feeble flares result.

George Liquor 04-21-2014 08:39 PM

I know it's only been 20 games, but not hitting plagued us last season in the WS.

In all fairness, I still think we will win the NL central. This offense just leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10577238)
I know it's only been 20 games, but not hitting plagued us last season too.

In all fairness, I still think we will win the NL central. This offense just leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

The Cardinals scored 77 more runs than any other team in the NL last year.

Now, part of that was due to aberrational hitting with RISP, but they were still an excellent offense. What hurts them is the need to string together multiple hits to plate runs because they lack almost all power.

Allen Craig needs to be hitting 25 HR a year, not 13, and Adams and Holliday need to be at/around 30.

George Liquor 04-21-2014 08:45 PM

I got to thinking and you're right. That's why I edited my comment. I forgot that we destroyed the record for hitting with RISP last season.

I'm hoping Holiday will heat up as the weather does. He is typically that kind of hitter, no?

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10577260)
I got to thinking and you're right. That's why I edited my comment. I forgot that we destroyed the record for hitting with RISP last season.

I'm hoping Holiday will heat up as the weather does. He is typically that kind of hitter, no?

Not really. Was last year, but his month-month splits are within a normal range, save for July

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits....on=OF&season=0

BigRedChief 04-21-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10577272)
Not really. Was last year, but his month-month splits are within a normal range, save for July

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits....on=OF&season=0

Saw the graphic that he swings on 51% of first pitches. Why throw him a strike? He'll just pop up or hit a weak grounder.

To be fair, way too many Cardinal hitters are taking bad at bats.

I'm getting real sick of seeing Robinson take those late in the game PH at bats. He has never done shit to warrant a free ride. We have Butler who is hitting .400 with power. Why not call him up? We picked him up off the waiver wire, he's no prized prospect.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10577497)
Saw the graphic that he swings on 51% of first pitches. Why throw him a strike? He'll just pop up or hit a weak grounder.

To be fair, way too many Cardinal hitters are taking bad at bats.

I'm getting real sick of seeing Robinson take those late in the game PH at bats. He has never done shit to warrant a free ride. We have Butler who is hitting .400 with power. Why not call him up? We picked him up off the waiver wire, he's no prized prospect.

He's not on the 40 man, so you have to outright someone in order for that to go down.

VAChief 04-22-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10577565)
He's not on the 40 man, so you have to outright someone in order for that to go down.

We could let Kosma go. If someone did pick him up it would probably be best for both parties.

BigRedChief 04-22-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10577565)

Robinson has no value. Send him packing. We are not putting our best team out there to win. Robinson isn't our future. If Butler doesn't produce at the big show level then we are not any worse off than we are now with Robinson taking those AB's.

George Liquor 04-22-2014 07:43 AM

What about letting Taveras take Robinson's at bats? That would make sense to me seeing as how we need a power bat and I've seen him labeled as a "Vlad Guerrero" type ceiling.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10577761)
What about letting Taveras take Robinson's at bats? That would make sense to me seeing as how we need a power bat and I've seen him labeled as a "Vlad Guerrero" type ceiling.

Do you want someone that young playing one quarter time? He's not going to reach his ceiling on the bench. And while I am no huge Robinson fan, I'd rather move Jay, who is still overrated and has some trade value.