ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

DRM08 02-17-2024 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishels (Post 17407176)
Maybe im a delusional fan but i think Mahomes can win as many or more than Brady. I really believe that deep down because of stats like that. Mahomes being able to play in his 40’s is something I’m yearning for. Please football gods

That's why the Dee Ford play hurts so much. Probably a 2-ring movement in Brady's favor on that single play. The deck is heavily stacked against Mahomes to stay healthy long enough and have the roster/coaching talent to win 4-5 more rings in his career.

I would be thrilled if Mahomes can get 2 more rings, which would undeniably put him above Joe Montana. Getting 5 rings in the salary cap era is a big damn deal. Montana didn't have to watch his best players walk out the door, which already happened to Mahomes with Tyreek and it's gonna happen some more with the likes of Chris Jones or LJ Sneed, Willie Gay, and so forth.

Fishels 02-17-2024 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17407177)
That's why the Dee Ford play hurts so much. Probably a 2-ring movement in Brady's favor on that single play. The deck is heavily stacked against Mahomes to stay healthy long enough and have the roster/coaching talent to win 4-5 more rings in his career.

I would be thrilled if Mahomes can get 2 more rings, which would undeniably put him above Joe Montana. Getting 5 rings in the salary cap era is a big damn deal. Montana didn't have to watch his best players walk out the door, which already happened to Mahomes with Tyreek and it's gonna happen some more with the likes of Chris Jones or LJ Sneed, Willie Gay, and so forth.

I totally agree with you and it definitely still hurts, but at the same time I’ve heard the argument that maybe if we go to SB 53 and win then we keep Bob Sutton. Which would mean we wouldn’t have the success we have now probably.

I know we can’t look into other timelines and we’ve had some really unfortunate stuff besides D Ford. Our Offensive line in SB 55 decided the game and we totally had that Bengals games.

If we beat the Bengals we might be celebrating a 3 peat right now! But…… you can’t really look at it that way imo. Maybe if we beat the Rams we keep Tyreek because of some weird butterfly effect shit lol

And then we don’t have our amazing D and the new number 10. Mahomes will definitely have to change his style of play if he can play as long as Tom. I’m just hoping we can build the perfect team around him to allow a crazy run in his 30’s

staylor26 02-17-2024 02:18 AM

Before the playoffs/SB, I was convinced the Chiefs would extend Sneed and let Jones walk.

Now I think they do the opposite.

Fishels 02-17-2024 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17407180)
Before the playoffs/SB, I was convinced the Chiefs would extend Sneed and let Jones walk.

Now I think they do the opposite.

I think Chiefs believe Sneed can be replaced easier than Jones. Could be wrong but that’s my read on it.

Not holding my breath but really hope Jones takes something lower just to be a Chief. But Sneed has got to get a big pay day. I can’t blame the dude.

I think whoever wins the SB should be exempt form the salary cap for one year in my unbiased opinion :D

Chief Pagan 02-17-2024 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishels (Post 17407171)
If we let Jones go isnt it much harder to find a great DT than a good DB? In the draft

Why do we need to find a great DT if we let Jones go?

Did we have to have a great WR when Hill left?

Embrace change.

Fishels 02-17-2024 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17407182)

Embrace change.

That is certainly a take I could consider. Jones just seems like the heart of the D. I wanted him gone when he was doing his holdout so I won’t be angry whatever they decide.

Probably anyway

PAChiefsGuy 02-17-2024 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishels (Post 17407187)
That is certainly a take I could consider. Jones just seems like the heart of the D. I wanted him gone when he was doing his holdout so I won’t be angry whatever they decide.

Probably anyway

Jones is the leader of the D as far as I can tell. I was hoping Bolton would take over that role once the holdout happened but it's pretty clear Jones is the top dog.

That said, I think Bolton can fill that role if Jones leaves. Leadership is a skill that I believe can be taught to the right individual and I think Bolton has that ability. He may even be better at it than Jones is, as Jones comes off as a bit of a clown at times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17407177)

While that's true it also was a lot harder on QBs to play the position back then. Obviously I think Mahomes is better than Montana but let's not act like Mahomes wouldn't have gotten hit a hell of a lot more if he played back in 80s and early 90s. Who knows what Montana would be able to do if he played in this era.

So while Mahomes is better I don't think the gap is huge and we will see how Mahomes adapts as he gets older and loses some of the speed he has.

Chief Pagan 02-17-2024 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishels (Post 17407187)

Probably anyway

Sure, he's the heart of the current D. But if they decline to meet his demands, it's not like you should have any more expectations of replacing him than you would have in replacing Hill or in replacing Kelce when he retires.

It's where can you get the best ROI. Trying to sustain the first or second best D probably isn't where it's at. Especially if it means a big third contract. Maybe Veach and Jones will reach a deal.

I'm not rooting against it. It would be great if Jones took a deal Veach was comfortable with. I just think other teams will be willing to offer more and Jones is going to end up leaving.

DRM08 02-17-2024 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 17407188)
While that's true it also was a lot harder on QBs back then. obviously I think Mahomes is better than Montana but I mean Mahomes has a lot of advantages QBs like Montana didn't have back then.

That's always a question/debate. The game was a lot more physical in the 1980's. I have watched Mahomes play through injury stuff that should have sidelined him going back to his sophomore year of college. He was ready to jump back on the field and keep playing immediately after the dislocated kneecap, but the Chiefs bosses would not let him. I think he's a pretty tough SOB.

Joe Montana had the Bill Walsh offense which was about 40 years ahead of everyone else in the league at the time. George Seifert consistently put a Top 3 defense on the field for the entire decade of the 1980's into the 1990's.

I think Mahomes would have done extremely well in those circumstances. Probably would have won more than the 4 rings Montana did if you handed Patrick the exact same coaches/roster and competition of the 1980's NFL. No salary cap to kill the team, etc.

Fishels 02-17-2024 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17407189)
Sure, he's the heart of the current D. But if they decline to meet his demands, it's not like you should have any more expectations of replacing him than you would have in replacing Hill or in replacing Kelce when he retires.

It's where can you get the best ROI. Trying to sustain the first or second best D probably isn't where it's at. Especially if it means a big third contract. Maybe Veach and Jones will reach a deal.

I'm not rooting against it. It would be great if Jones took a deal Veach was comfortable with. I just think other teams will be willing to offer more and Jones is going to end up leaving.

Do you think Sneed will have his demands met?

TwistedChief 02-17-2024 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17407175)
They are going to tag Jones.

No, they’re not. They’re not going through the hold out again.

Red Dawg 02-17-2024 06:55 AM

Jones is one of 3 left from the 1st SB. He's earned the right to hit FA. No way we can pay him and Sneed what they want.

PAChiefsGuy 02-17-2024 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17407192)
That's always a question/debate. The game was a lot more physical in the 1980's. I have watched Mahomes play through injury stuff that should have sidelined him going back to his sophomore year of college. He was ready to jump back on the field and keep playing immediately after the dislocated kneecap, but the Chiefs bosses would not let him. I think he's a pretty tough SOB.

Joe Montana had the Bill Walsh offense which was about 40 years ahead of everyone else in the league at the time. George Seifert consistently put a Top 3 defense on the field for the entire decade of the 1980's into the 1990's.

I think Mahomes would have done extremely well in those circumstances. Probably would have won more than the 4 rings Montana did if you handed Patrick the exact same coaches/roster and competition of the 1980's NFL. No salary cap to kill the team, etc.

Well said. Def would take Mahomes over Montana for sure. But again, Montana did play in a tougher era and at his peak didn't have many weaknesses in his game. His SB stats are pretty remarkable. So, I don't believe the gap is huge and that's not a knock on Mahomes just how it is when comparing all-time greats.

You have to remember these guys are the elite of the elite. You don't get to the mountain Mahomes, Brady, and Montana have reached by not being amazing at what they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17407218)
Jones is one of 3 left from the 1st SB. He's earned the right to hit FA. No way we can pay him and Sneed what they want.

Mahomes contract I think takes up 17% of the salary cap so yeah you can't give out too many other huge contracts with 52 other guys on the roster to pay. So the Chiefs need to be extremely careful with who they decide to pay with Sneed and Jones. I think Veach has earned our trust in this regard so I'm not too worried about it.

It will be interesting to see what happens though.

Dunerdr 02-17-2024 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17405891)
Rice put up '#1 WR' caliber numbers the last 10 or so games this year, not even arguable.

How he wins and his style may not be as sexy as say a Tyreek, but there is 1000% WR1 potential there. He flashes the ability to win at all levels.

We do not need a sure fire #1. We need just need a more consistent down field winner.

This is why i'm in the Hollywood boat. His price should be reasonable, he's more reliable than mooney and he will open things up for Rice and Kelce underneath. Hes got the capability to run screens too imo.

tredadda 02-17-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17407182)

Embrace change.

We didn’t have a WR the caliber of Hill when he left, that is correct. But we had Mahomes. We have no Mahomes caliber player of defense to offset a loss of Jones.