ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

luv 08-22-2011 07:24 AM

Went to see The Green Lantern last night. I can see why it got some of the reviews it got. Not the greatest action, and some of the space scenes were definitely a bit corny, but I actually liked it on the whole. Of course, the fact that it had Ryan Reynolds helped a little. :drool:

Frazod 08-22-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 7842069)
So I get home from work today (yes, I work on Sundays. It's OK, I worship Satan so it's no big deal) to find that my teenagers have discovered a bunch of movies that my older kids left at our house. I glance at the TV and Bram Stoker's Dracula is playing. I barely paid attention because it was horrible, just got on the computer instead. So...they're sifting through movies and my 13 year old pops in Starship Troopers. This pisses me off immediately. I don't recall who was responsible for this artless book-rape but I'd like to kill him/her. And now I'm more pissed because I know the douchebags in Hollywood won't remake it because the movie sucked giant infected penis and didn't make a huge load of cash. All because the ****tard who made this movie just couldn't tell a story. What a load of shit. That is all.

Heh. I love that movie. Silly and ridiculous, but fun. I liked the people in it and it had awesome violence and great special effects. I'm sure if I'd read the book I'd hate it as much as I hate what they did to Dune, but I didn't. In fact, Starship Troopers is one of my favorite mindless movies.

TrickyNicky 08-22-2011 01:21 PM

Starship Troopers was exactly what I was looking for in a movie when I was 13.

underEJ 08-22-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7843006)
great special effects.

Visual effects that hold up today, unlike that stupid sinking boat and it's faceless crowds of people that won the statue over ST in 97.

blaise 08-22-2011 05:21 PM

I tried watching Starship Troopers and I had to turn it off after about 45 minutes.

Jenson71 08-22-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 7843133)
Visual effects that hold up today, unlike that stupid sinking boat and it's faceless crowds of people that won the statue over ST in 97.

Titanic's special effects are still great today. That's a great movie that is going to be watched 50 years from now.

listopencil 08-22-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7843006)
Heh. I love that movie. Silly and ridiculous, but fun. I liked the people in it and it had awesome violence and great special effects. I'm sure if I'd read the book I'd hate it as much as I hate what they did to Dune, but I didn't. In fact, Starship Troopers is one of my favorite mindless movies.

You should read it, the book is great. One of Heinlein's best.

*Edit: I agree with you about the Dune movie. God, that pissed me the **** off.

listopencil 08-22-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7843608)
I tried watching Starship Troopers and I had to turn it off after about 45 minutes.

I wanted to kill someone maybe 10 minutes into it.

listopencil 08-22-2011 08:03 PM

Bah. I can't find the "remake" thread but this one has my vote. I'd love to see a movie that told the same story that the book did.

Frazod 08-22-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 7843953)
I wanted to kill someone maybe 10 minutes into it.

One of the reasons I liked it so much was that it completely defied my expectations. I had never read the book but knew it was a classic work. I was expecting your standard space war stuff - saw it in the theater, even took the wife. From the opening scene, I was like HOLY SHIT WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? and the wife, who hates gory/horror movies, was about to puke in my lap. From then on I really enjoyed it.

I started to read the book once, but after seeing the movie I just couldn't get into it.

Megbert 08-22-2011 10:45 PM

Just saw Our Idiot Brother. Was much better than I was expecting. Thought Rudd's character was just gonna be a big stoned dumbass and expected lots of humor in that vein, thankfully that wasn't the case. Movie had lots of heart and was a veritable smorgasbord of actresses I'm in love with.

Megbert 08-22-2011 11:03 PM

Gonna see an "Action Thriller" tomorrow. Might be an early early screening of MI4. I'll let you all know what movie it is and if it's worth your coin.

tk13 08-22-2011 11:33 PM

Saw "Senna" tonight, definitely a riveting film. I thought it lived up to the hype. If you like the 30 for 30 movies you should definitely check it out. Very well put together documentary.

listopencil 08-23-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7843976)
One of the reasons I liked it so much was that it completely defied my expectations. I had never read the book but knew it was a classic work. I was expecting your standard space war stuff - saw it in the theater, even took the wife. From the opening scene, I was like HOLY SHIT WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? and the wife, who hates gory/horror movies, was about to puke in my lap. From then on I really enjoyed it.

I started to read the book once, but after seeing the movie I just couldn't get into it.

If I had never read the book I probably would have enjoyed the movie well enough. I did have high expectations going into it.

listopencil 08-23-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 7835703)
Olivia Wilde is epic hot.

Yes.

Quote:

King's Speech is very good. However it is notably not entertaining in the Hollywood model. No explosions, no half naked chicks running around, no CGI, no cheesy one liners. Just a good story that is excellently acted.
Thinking back, yeah. Just a very good movie all around. This is the kind of movie that should win an Oscar. Even the character of the older brother was so well done that the actor managed to portray a sense of nobility in the end, enough that he was a sympathetic figure rather than a shallow antagonist.