ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

unlurking 10-31-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 15287746)
Season 2 of Discovery is better than Season 1 though the latter improved in the last half of the episodes.

Not subbed for CBS All Access so I couldn't tell you about Lower Decks or Season 3 so far.

Edit: And S2 was great because of Mount as Pike.

Agreed on Discovery.

So far, season 3 of Discovery sucks. I'm watching it because it's Trek, but I don't how much more I'll be able to suffer through.

Lower Decks is great and worth the watch.

Frazod 10-31-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15287740)
Are these Star Trek programs worth watching?

Or should I just wait until Srange New Worlds has been released, with Anson Mount as Pike?

There is absolutely no reason to watch Season 1 of Discovery.

Discovery on its own fields the most unlikable cast in Trek history. It was only the injection of Pike and the Enterprise that made Discovery watchable. I have such high hopes for Strange New Worlds; I hope against hope that they don't **** it up and keep it grounded in the classic Trek tradition.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15287806)

Discovery on its own fields the most unlikable cast in Trek history. It was only the injection of Pike and the Enterprise that made Discovery watchable. I have such high hopes for Strange New Worlds; I hope against hope that they don't **** it up and keep it grounded in the classic Trek tradition.

Thanks! I'll continue to wait until the new Pike series has been fully released.

RealSNR 10-31-2020 03:26 PM

Has nobody at CBS run the numbers and done the polling to see that they could get a crapton of viewers if they simply produced a Star Trek product that had absolutely zero-nada-nothing to do with Alex Kurtzman or the type of Star Trek shows/movies/stories he has been in charge of?

Dane probably knows, but I don't think anybody has really reported the reason why Bryan Singer got booted off as showrunner midway through production of Season 1 of Discovery. My guess is it wasn't "new" enough?

Geez, I mean, they don't have to go to bathtub models and dudes in Gorn suits or anything. Just tell some good stories and give us a crew that ISN'T either super ****ing annoying or boring.

And if you're going to do serialized season-long arcs, that's fine and all, but for the love of God stop with the "GOTTA TIE UP THE LOOSE ENDS MAY AS WELL DO IT WITH EXPLOSIONS THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE!" Energy and buildup is nice. Frantic action at the expense of the plot is stupid. There's a difference.

KC_Connection 10-31-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15287806)

I haven’t been able to watch Discovery Season 2 because I disliked the progression of Discovery Season 1 so much. Maybe I will eventually but it’s hard to trust at this point.

Frazod 10-31-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15287923)
I haven’t been able to watch Discovery Season 2 because I disliked the progression of Discovery Season 1 so much. Maybe I will eventually but it’s hard to trust at this point.

I understand. I wouldn't watch Season 2 again. While the Pike/Spock/Enterprise stuff is generally great, it is too interwoven with the Burnham/Discovery stuff, which is just more of the same Mary Sue saves the Universe dreck with her band of plucky misfits.

It definitely has it's moments, though. I particularly enjoyed the Talos IV episode (the ship visits the planet with the mind controlling aliens from the original series pilot).

And the Enterprise looks great. The ship itself is kind of a hybrid between the original and refit in the movies. And the reimagined Enterprise bridge is pretty much perfect.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/dd...0564c0a427.jpg

Bowser 10-31-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15287923)

Watch it for Pike and Spock if nothing else. Especially Pike.

Bowser 10-31-2020 04:11 PM

I'll say this about season 3 so far - they are trying really hard to do something new and original, and I've actually liked the first two episodes more than I thought I would. But -

Spoiler!

That said, I'm also in the camp of thinking Michael Burnham is miscast as the protagonist.

keg in kc 10-31-2020 05:10 PM

I liked the first ep of season 3, but eps 2 and 3 didn't do much for me.

unlurking 10-31-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15287947)
I understand. I wouldn't watch Season 2 again. While the Pike/Spock/Enterprise stuff is generally great, it is too interwoven with the Burnham/Discovery stuff, which is just more of the same Mary Sue saves the Universe dreck with her band of plucky misfits.

Much of Star Trek is a Mary Sue. Kirk was one of the worst.

The problem is the characters and the writing is just so bad. The dialogue in the first two episodes is perhaps the worst TV dialogue I've heard in years. I don't think I've seen this much crying outside a funeral.

I'm starting to come around on Burnham. She's only the second worst character now. Tilley makes me want to stab my eyes out and puncture my ear drums.

Frazod 10-31-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15288048)
Much of Star Trek is a Mary Sue. Kirk was one of the worst.

The problem is the characters and the writing is just so bad. The dialogue in the first two episodes is perhaps the worst TV dialogue I've heard in years. I don't think I've seen this much crying outside a funeral.

I'm starting to come around on Burnham. She's only the second worst character now. Tilley makes me want to stab my eyes out and puncture my ear drums.

Kirk would have died at least a dozen times if not for Spock. It was usually the two of them working in tandem that defeated whatever was opposing them. Burnham is like a Kirk/Spock combination that can solve any problem after everyone else gives up and she has a good cry about it.

As for Tilly, she's bad, but I loathe Stamets. He's the Jar Jar of Star Trek.

unlurking 10-31-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15288110)
Kirk would have died at least a dozen times if not for Spock. It was usually the two of them working in tandem that defeated whatever was opposing them. Burnham is like a Kirk/Spock combination that can solve any problem after everyone else gives up and she has a good cry about it.

As for Tilly, she's bad, but I loathe Stamets. He's the Jar Jar of Star Trek.

Don't forget Bones! :)
For some reason I only find Stamets mildly annoying. That may be because he gets very little screen time though.
I'm glad they're doing a spinoff Pike series from season 2. I'd love to see them do a spinoff Georgio from season 3. Her blasting around a lawless galaxy would be a great show. She alluded to it in the second episode and I think it would be a great idea.
Spinning off 2 great new shows would be a redemption for Discovery. At least enough that I wouldn't be so disappointed by it.

Frazod 10-31-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15288155)
Don't forget Bones! :)
For some reason I only find Stamets mildly annoying. That may be because he gets very little screen time though.
I'm glad they're doing a spinoff Pike series from season 2. I'd love to see them do a spinoff Georgio from season 3. Her blasting around a lawless galaxy would be a great show. She alluded to it in the second episode and I think it would be a great idea.
Spinning off 2 great new shows would be a redemption for Discovery. At least enough that I wouldn't be so disappointed by it.

Yeah, I have no problem with darkside Georgio wrecking shit. My favorite character from Season 1 was Lorca.

Jamie 11-01-2020 03:21 AM

I may be the only one, but I really don't like Georgiou. She was portrayed as so over-the-top evil in the beginning I just can't buy this whole redemption arc. Every time she's on screen all I'm thinking is, why isn't someone punting this bitch out an airlock? Why does anyone trust her? She committed genocide and ate people.

unlurking 11-01-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 15288628)
I may be the only one, but I really don't like Georgiou. She was portrayed as so over-the-top evil in the beginning I just can't buy this whole redemption arc. Every time she's on screen all I'm thinking is, why isn't someone punting this bitch out an airlock? Why does anyone trust her? She committed genocide and ate people.

I don't think anyone does trusts her, except Burnham. Section 31 has a history of people like her, so I don't think that's an out of place spot for her character. She seems to have some sort of attachment to Burnham who is basically a clone of her "daughter", and it seems like that is the only reason she hasn't decided to go rogue. Now that their is no Section 31 where she can be her true Machiavellian self, I expect she will go out on her own sooner or later. Either because she's basically exiled for doing something "evil" or she finally just gets sick of trying to control her self.

Or she dies. Probably sacrificing herself for Burham, which would suck. But I agree with you, she can't stay. She can't be "redeemed". The only question is how she leaves the show/ship.