ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Jenson71 01-23-2011 10:42 AM

Who wants to see that movie with Anthony Hopkins about the exorcist priest that slowly becomes possessed by the devil, The Rite? ME!

And there's another priest movie coming out this spring about St. Josemarie Escriva (Da Vinci Code fans: yes, that guy) during the Spanish Civil War called There Be Dragons from Roland Joffe.

Brock 01-23-2011 10:42 AM

If you like Michael Douglas, check out Solitary Man on netflix. I thought it was pretty good. Not Wonder Boys good, but still pretty good.

Reaper16 01-23-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 7376255)
So, terrible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7376409)
I would concede that until the bolded. It is nothing close to a Tyler Perry movie. His movies are awful.

My comparison wasn't made between quality of films, but between what happens in films. TKAAR is offensively, stereotypically white. The screenplay is cartoonish. But the film isn't terrible because the acting is superb. The actors across the board elevate the material into something watchable. Great performances in a film that doesn't need to exist, a film that practically says nothing at all.

irishjayhawk 01-23-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7376489)
My comparison wasn't made between quality of films, but between what happens in films. TKAAR is offensively, stereotypically white. The screenplay is cartoonish. But the film isn't terrible because the acting is superb. The actors across the board elevate the material into something watchable. Great performances in a film that doesn't need to exist, a film that practically says nothing at all.

I'd agree with that.

Jenson71 01-23-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7376489)

What's it mean to be a "white" film? That the characters are all white at a negligent expense of other races, or that they are doing "white" things?

NewChief 01-23-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7375953)
The Kids Are All Right? More like The Kids Are All White. That was the whitest movie I've ever seen. It was like a white Tyler Perry movie.

I started reading the "memoir" and abandoned it pretty quickly. Just wasn't very enjoyable.

patteeu 01-23-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7377500)
I started reading the "memoir" and abandoned it pretty quickly. Just wasn't very enjoyable.

Too white?

NewChief 01-23-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7377578)
Too white?

No. Just boring.

Reaper16 01-23-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7376528)
What's it mean to be a "white" film? That the characters are all white at a negligent expense of other races, or that they are doing "white" things?

The whitest of things. The characters appear to be lifted straight from the webpages of stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

Though, now that you mention it, the only brown people in the film served to inconvenience the white characters.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2011 11:16 PM

Watched The Town this morning on Blu Ray. It was decent enough. Nothing ground breaking, of course, and a little ham-fisted at the end, but oh well.

ReynardMuldrake 01-24-2011 03:09 PM

Watched The Wrestler this weeked. Expected it to be like Rocky with piledrivers, came away pleasantly surprised. Mickey Rourke is a fantastic actor, great movie.

jiveturkey 01-24-2011 04:04 PM

Salt was f'in terrible. I knew it would be but my wife really wanted to see it and even pushed to see it in the theater.

Angelina Jolie looked like her legs were going to crumble under her in most of the scenes. She's done with action movies for sure.

Also watch the last Shrek movie. I should have given up on that series after the 2nd one. I played with my phone through most of it.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-24-2011 04:15 PM

We saw No Strings Attached this weekend. It was hilarious, IMO.

irishjayhawk 01-24-2011 06:29 PM

I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop the other day on hulu. Don't know what to think about it. I thought it was about Banksy and his art but it wasn't and I'm not sure I liked what it was about.

I think I'm just apathetic about that movie altogether.

Reaper16 01-24-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7381069)
I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop the other day on hulu. Don't know what to think about it. I thought it was about Banksy and his art but it wasn't and I'm not sure I liked what it was about.

I think I'm just apathetic about that movie altogether.

It's a Banksy art project on the audience. Maybe. Man, I love that film. Whether it is a hoax/art project or whether it's a real story, I love it either way.