ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Nzoner 08-18-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4923946)
Watched this old 70's flick last night called "Rolling Thunder" on netflix.

Very, very cool. Apparantly its gotten a rep over the years because it was a huge influence on Tarantino.

It stars William Devane and a young Tommy Lee Jones as Vietnam POW's who return home and of course have a dificult time adjusting. Devanes characters family get murdered by some Texas thugs and then he goes nuts and decides to go after them himself and get some revenge.

Check it out. Its not high art, but its got that great gritty 70's quality to it. It was a pleasant surprise for me.

I saw it at the theatre when it came out,one badass movie,I love when the Major goes to see Tommy Lee and tells him he found the men that murdered his family and Tommy Lee stone cold faced says,"I'll just get my gear Major."

Deberg_1990 08-18-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 4923965)
I saw it at the theatre when it came out,one badass movie,I love when the Major goes to see Tommy Lee and tells him he found the men that murdered his family and Tommy Lee stone cold faced says,"I'll just get my gear Major."

Hell yes, that was awesume.

What was great about this flick was the character development and just a ton of little scenes that were great. Better written and performed than they had any right to be.

Devane gave this really strange, slow burn performance that was weird, but great. Whatever that means... :)

Nzoner 08-18-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4923979)
Hell yes, that was awesume.

What was great about this flick was the character development and just a ton of little scenes that were great. Better written and performed than they had any right to be.

Devane gave this really strange, slow burn performance that was weird, but great. Whatever that means... :)

Here's the trailer

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-zBlzKgKJw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

irishjayhawk 08-18-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4923597)
Tropic Thunder was pretty funny....esp one of the main characters was excellent, never laughed so hard at him, esp the end

I will buy on dvd

I thought it was moderately funny. The ending was priceless. The acting was good. But the story was so dumb that I couldn't overcome it. I was hoping for some semblance of a story to supersede the ridiculous number of cameos (which, admittedly, were hilarious).

Sure-Oz 08-18-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4925301)
I thought it was moderately funny. The ending was priceless. The acting was good. But the story was so dumb that I couldn't overcome it. I was hoping for some semblance of a story to supersede the ridiculous number of cameos (which, admittedly, were hilarious).

I'll admit it was overhyped for sure, but i still had laughs here and there. There were alot of slow parts esp at the middle of the movie. The cameos were pretty funny, i just expected most of the movie to remain that way. The reerun part the movie theater couldnt figure out if they should laugh or not

irishjayhawk 08-18-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4925325)
I'll admit it was overhyped for sure, but i still had laughs here and there. There were alot of slow parts esp at the middle of the movie. The cameos were pretty funny, i just expected most of the movie to remain that way. The reerun part the movie theater couldnt figure out if they should laugh or not

That was what really dampened it for me. And not for the political correctness but for the shear stupidity of that story line.

Deberg_1990 08-18-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 4923993)
Here's the trailer

Great trailer. They really did a great job of lampooing (with loving affection) those old 70's style trailers in "Grindhouse"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmckBc0aG3M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmckBc0aG3M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fairplay 08-18-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4922393)

"Equilibrium".

Dystopian flick set in the early 21st century where human emotion has been outlawed due to the consequences of it--war, violence, etc. Very 1984-ish. The first half is more of a philosophical character piece, and the second half is a bloodbath. The effects are a little hokey, but I really enjoy this movie.

Worth a watch.

Yeah dude, Frazod already gave the heads up on that a couple years back. Sleeper movie, went to DVD.

So i rented it. Good movie, solid movie to rent and to recommend.

KevB 08-18-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4925784)
Yeah dude, Frazod already gave the heads up on that a couple years back. Sleeper movie, went to DVD.

So i rented it. Good movie, solid movie to rent and to recommend.

It's headed my way from Blockbuster online...looking forward to it.

NewChief 08-22-2008 09:57 PM

Just watched Smart People. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a nice little movie with some great acting. Good script, good dialogue, interesting characters.

Acerbic, taciturn widower professor (Dennis Quaid) raises brilliant, dysfunctional family who hate each other. His screwup, stoner adopted brother moves in with his family and begins to serve as yin to his yang. Meets a former student, now a doctor who he falls for. Complications ensue. Nice cast as well.

irishjayhawk 08-22-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 4936682)
Just watched Smart People. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a nice little movie with some great acting. Good script, good dialogue, interesting characters.

Acerbic, taciturn widower professor (Dennis Quaid) raises brilliant, dysfunctional family who hate each other. His screwup, stoner adopted brother moves in with his family and begins to serve as yin to his yang. Meets a former student, now a doctor who he falls for. Complications ensue. Nice cast as well.

I was pumped for it and then it got absolutely panned by anyone and everyone who I heard saw it.

Good to hear a good thing about it. Maybe I'll actually rent it.

NewChief 08-22-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4936716)
I was pumped for it and then it got absolutely panned by anyone and everyone who I heard saw it.

Good to hear a good thing about it. Maybe I'll actually rent it.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd sing its praises or anything. I can see how people panned it. It's probably one of those movies that I liked because it dealt with material that resonated with my own life.

irishjayhawk 08-22-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 4936731)
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd sing its praises or anything. I can see how people panned it. It's probably one of those movies that I liked because it dealt with material that resonated with my own life.

Fair enough.

Mr Luzcious 08-22-2008 10:43 PM

I just finished watching "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." Little late to the party.. I know. I enjoyed it, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

007 08-22-2008 10:49 PM

I am floored that Hancock is still playing in some first run theaters. It finally ended it run here in Topeka.