ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

listopencil 04-13-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14204847)
Too bright?

I don't like all of the accent lighting. I can understand getting rid of a lot of the empty spaces on the set, because the original set had that early TV look of something that you might find in a stage play. To a degree they were just filling spaces in TOS. But I don't like the strips of accent lighting and I think it was a little overboard on the detail work, it looked a touch too busy.

listopencil 04-13-2019 11:12 AM

Take a look at this clunker from TNG:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qTOP1BezOB8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't expect them to do something like that. It would be ridiculous. But this modern interpretation is a bit off.

listopencil 04-13-2019 11:22 AM

To be clear; I know that I'm being a quibbling nit picker. After the shit show of season one confirmed my worst doubts about the quality of the show, and after having that shittiness leak into the beginning of season two, they had to pretty much bend over backwards to keep me from shitting all over their ridiculous abortion. They have done that lately (although I skipped through a bunch of whiny dialogue scenes of tertiary characters emoting over their continued existence in this last episode) and I think they could pull off a BSG reboot level of quality if they'd stop the annoying stuff, like Burnham's overly dramatic and breathless attacks on every single bit of dialogue.

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2019 11:23 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iWqi2Y14iKk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 04-13-2019 08:57 PM

I don't watch the show, so there might be spoilers in this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FMCDJoTexT4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 04-18-2019 09:35 PM

Season 2 in the books. Loved it. They even cleaned up the "why didn't anyone ever talk about Burnham?" mess. And it looks like next season will be in a completely uncharted area, so they can basically do whatever they want without ****ing with any existing canon further.

Glad I stuck with it through the mostly crappy first season. It was definitely worth it. :thumb:

Jamie 04-18-2019 09:49 PM

I guess I enjoyed the finale to a certain extent, but it was ****ing riddled with plot holes and contrivances.

Edit: to expand on this,
1. So closing a door is the difference between the ship surviving or not? And Pike stood at the door and watched the explosion, which took a huge chunk out of the saucer, through a window in said door? That's a hell of a door.
2. They could have beamed the admiral out after she closed the door.
3. Discovery can't beam Spock out because they have to have their shields up to go through the time portal, but then the Enterprise beams him up before the time portal even opens.
4. Control is destroyed before they go to the future, negating their entire reason for going to the future. I guess they could have patched this pretty easy (there's no way to know if he's really been destroyed! We won't get another chance!) but still.
5. And everybody agrees to pretend Discovery and its crew never existed? Even though Michael was basically famous for committing mutiny and starting the Klingon war?

Frazod 04-18-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14214053)
I guess I enjoyed the finale to a certain extent, but it was ****ing riddled with plot holes and contrivances.

Edit: to expand on this,
1. So closing a door is the difference between the ship surviving or not? And Pike stood at the door and watched the explosion, which took a huge chunk out of the saucer, through a window in said door? That's a hell of a door.
2. They could have beamed the admiral out after she closed the door.
3. Discovery can't beam Spock out because they have to have their shields up to go through the time portal, but then the Enterprise beams him up before the time portal even opens.
4. Control is destroyed before they go to the future, negating their entire reason for going to the future. I guess they could have patched this pretty easy (there's no way to know if he's really been destroyed! We won't get another chance!) but still.
5. And everybody agrees to pretend Discovery and its crew never existed? Even though Michael was basically famous for committing mutiny and starting the Klingon war?

Good points all, but even the best Star Trek has elements that you need to overlook. Considering how bad this show was initially, I'm prepared to cut them some slack now that I'm enjoying it. Stupid shit notwithstanding. You could fly a dragon through the plot holes in Game of Thrones, too.

listopencil 04-19-2019 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14214129)
Good points all, but even the best Star Trek has elements that you need to overlook. Considering how bad this show was initially, I'm prepared to cut them some slack now that I'm enjoying it. Stupid shit notwithstanding. You could fly a dragon through the plot holes in Game of Thrones, too.

I have to say that I did enjoy the second season. I'd rather that they had the series follow characters and events that are loosely related to Pike's Enterprise than the Discovery crew.

Frazod 04-19-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14214156)
I have to say that I did enjoy the second season. I'd rather that they had the series follow characters and events that are loosely related to Pike's Enterprise than the Discovery crew.

Amen, brother. Gonna miss Pike and the Enterprise.

Discuss Thrower 04-20-2019 10:54 AM

Chris Nolan gonna ****in sue him some CBS gotdam

007 04-20-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14216255)
Chris Nolan gonna ****in sue him some CBS gotdam

?

Frazod 04-20-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14216358)
?

I assume he's talking about the needlessly labyrinthine plot.

Discuss Thrower 04-20-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14216363)
I assume he's talking about the needlessly labyrinthine plot.

... you mean you didn't notice the blatant mimic of Inception's hallway fight and Interstellar's singularity VFX?

Frazod 04-20-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14216589)
... you mean you didn't notice the blatant mimic of Inception's hallway fight and Interstellar's singularity VFX?

Ah.